• Published 13th Jun 2020
  • 1,263 Views, 117 Comments

FemmeFiction - J Carp



Three high femmes try to find love. Two yellow dorks try to take their relationship to the next level. One confused changeling tries to discover herself. Zero common sense is exercised by anyone involved.

  • ...
12
 117
 1,263

Brain Femme

THURSDAY ITINERARY:

Arrive in Manehattan. Drop off luggage at hotel.

Fluttershy and Rarity visit Coco! Rarity asks Coco out????

Reconvene at hotel to visit organizing committee! Pinkie (me!!!) & Ocellus stay and watch them do stuff!

If Coco says yes, double-date with Fluttershy & Moon Dancer! If Coco says no, everyone comforts Rarity.

Moon Dancer asks Fluttershy to marry her?????????

Trixie & Starlight go to club and do club stuff! (I hope not with actual clubs???)


"It's called Self-Compassion and Emotion Regulation in Friendships,” Moon Dancer said, embarrassed to even be talking about it. “Um, but even though it has 'compassion' in the title, it's actually in the Laughter department, I know it's confusing, sorry."

"Oh, wow." Ocellus grinned thoughtfully. "Is it a full credit, or a half credit? Is it discussion-based or lecture-based?"

"Full credit. And... I'm not really sure, I've only taught it once. I want to focus on research methods, though, because that's kind of my thing. There's a big, final project where you read some of Net Gross's papers and then come up with your own study." Moon Dancer scratched the back of her head nervously. "To be honest, I try to minimize my own 'teaching,' because I get worried I'll pass on some misinformation. This isn't my main job. Um, but Starlight was really insistent I have something to offer students, so..."

"Oh, I understand!" Ocellus said passionately. "I get worried about that, too! That's why I have this!" She held up her tape recorder. "I've got to report back to everyone after I get home, and I'm worried I'll get something wrong." She paused. "Wait, one second, just while I'm thinking of it." She clicked the tape recorder on. "Thursday morning. Arrived safely at the hotel. The city is a terrifying, angry monument to the destruction of nature. So many ponies; so much rage. Mind cluttered. Nerves frayed." She clicked it off, then clicked it back on. "The lobby has a Starbucks, though, so frappuccinos! Yay!" She clicked it off.

Moon Dancer was thankfully spared having to respond to that, because Pinkie approached with two keycards in her mouth. "Beez ur yrss!" she said, holding them out. Moon Dancer took the cards with her magic, nodding in thanks. "Your room’s on seventeen, with everyone else’s. But..." she turned to Ocellus excitedly, "We're on the second floor! Which meaaannnnssss we get a big suite, with a hot tub and everything!"

“Oh, that’s nice!” Ocellus replied, smiling. “Thanks so much, Miss Pinkie.”

Pinkie beamed in response, but then immediately frowned again. “You two were talking about school. Which is fine, but come on! We’re in Manehattan! Let’s find something fun to do while Rarity and Fluttershy are gone!”

“Well… all right,” Moon Dancer said. “Equestria’s largest used bookstore is just a few blocks away. Maybe we…” She trailed off as Pinkie’s expression dissolved into a look of pure despair.

“Uh.” Moon Dancer thought for a moment. “We could go to the geological museum? They have…” Pinkie’s expression stayed despair but somehow grew larger.

Moon Dancer shook her head, unable to keep a laugh from escaping. “Okay, well, We could go to F.A.O. Horse. You know, the famous toy store. That might…”

Pinkie literally pounced on her in glee. Somehow, Moon Dancer didn’t mind.


“Oh, you didn’t have to come all the way to Bronclyn!” Coco apologized, leading Fluttershy and Rarity into the studio. “Especially if you’re just stopping by…”

“Not at all, darling! Of course we had to come, and I’m delighted to see behind the curtain, as it were!” Rarity trotted right in, but Fluttershy paused for a moment to steel herself.

It was very nice to see sweet little Coco again, and supporting Rarity was still the main priority. But as Fluttershy stepped inside, she could not keep from being distracted by the truly grotesque clothes hanging all over. One outfit appeared to be a giant piece of coral covered in hair, another looked like Sassy Saddles's usual garb, except instead of a saddle, there were skulls. In the very center of the room, there was a pink dress decorated with what hopefully were not real eyeballs.

"Um, these are just some works in progress," Coco explained meekly.

"Oh, how daring!" Rarity exclaimed. "I just knew you'd be a success, but to have so completely developed such an inimitable style is incredible!"

"I... like the ones without the skulls," Fluttershy managed to stammer.

"They're supposed to be challenging, but I don't think I have the balance right, yet." Coco sighed. "I know my vision is a little weird..."

"Oh, don't you dare apologize for your work!" Rarity snapped kindly. "You've become the face of the avant-garde for a reason!"

"I'd... um... like to talk more about some of the things I'm working on, if you get a chance," Coco said shyly. "Your perspective is always so useful. I know you said you were just dropping by, but hopefully you could maybe spare a lunch later? I don't know why you're in town, though, I'm sure you're really busy..."

"But my darling!" Rarity enthused, very subtly batting her eyelashes, "You’re part of the reason I'm in town!"

"I... am?"

"You see, since we've last seen one another, I've discovered some important things about myself." Fluttershy could not help but be impressed. Rarity was being so subtle, just a wink here and a gesture there, and Miss Pommel was just utterly enthralled. "And so I've come here to enjoy the pride celebration!"

Coco's mouth fell open, but she recovered quickly. "Oh! P...pride? So... you're...?"

"As bisexual as half a gumball machine, my dear. And, since you're my dearest friend in all of Manehattan, I was hoping you could enjoy this celebration with me. I mean..." She glanced at Fluttershy briefly. "With us. Excuse my slip of the tongue."

Coco did not reply for a moment, but when she did, it was a little manic. "I don't know much. I don't normally... I went to some events last year, but... I mean, I am queer! That's what my work is mostly about!" Fluttershy tried not to think about what the bodice with the giant beetle legs over in the corner could possibly be representing about Miss Pommel's sexuality. "But..."

"Oh, please say you'll come!" Rarity pouted. "I was so looking forward to spending this time with you, specifically!" Coco, apparently unable to form words, nodded. Rarity beamed. "How wonderful! We have to return to the hotel to freshen up, but this evening, we had some things in mind we'd like to do. Perhaps you could join us? The Mareiott in Tribucka at 6:30?"

"Sure! Yes." Coco paused. "Yes to I'll meet you. Is what I'm saying. Then. And there. This is a yes to your question. The question about..."

"Delightful!" Rarity sang, finally interrupting to put the stammering mare out of her misery. She trotted over and nuzzled Coco briefly. "So sorry to rush off, but I want to look as stunning as possible tonight! You understand, don't you?"

Coco did not look like she understood much of anything at the moment. "It was very nice to see you again," Fluttershy offered. Coco blinked at her, saying nothing. Rarity cheerfully turned and trotted back out the way they came, Fluttershy following behind.

When they got back out onto the Bronclyn street, Rarity suddenly stopped, took a deep breath, and whirled on Fluttershy. "That went well, right?" she asked, her eyes displaying anxiety that had apparently been skillfully hidden before. "She wanted to go? That's a good sign?"

"Um, yes," Fluttershy answered. "Actually, she might really... really like you."

"Oh, I don't dare to hope!" Rarity moaned, nearly swooning. "Well. Perhaps I will dare to hope just a little."

"I think you should."

"Eeeee!" Rarity excitedly trotted in place. "My heart is beating like a jackhammer! I really do like her.” She paused, as if surprised she’d just said that. “...I really do like her."

"Rarity." Fluttershy forced herself to stand directly in front of her friend, keeping her expression as serious as possible. "I want you to know that I like Miss Pommel, and I hope the two of you are able to be together. But."

Rarity gazed back, confused. "But?"

"But..." Fluttershy sank back, but just a little. "But her designs are absolutely terrifying, and if you become her girlfriend, please please please keep her from ever dressing me in them."

"Ah. I think... I can handle that."

Fluttershy smiled warmly in gratitude.


Coco walked across the room, even though there was nothing there. "She said 'I was looking forward to spending the time with you specifically.'" She walked back across to the other side of the room, even though there was nothing there, either. "'With you, specifically!' That means something, right?!"

Her friend did not reply. Unbothered, Coco turned in an anxious circle. "But she also called me her 'dearest friend in Manehattan.' She said 'friend!' I just don't know!" She waved her hooves around in half frustration and half panic. "I'm sorry I just came over and barged in, but I didn't know who else to ask! You know her. What do you think? Is it a date?"

Before even one second passed, she spoke again. "Wait. Before you answer, just remember, this is Rarity. Rarity! The kindest and most beautiful mare in the whole industry! The one who saved me from turning out like Suri! The one who showed up like a miracle to save me when I needed her most!"

Still not waiting for an answer, she paced back across the room. "It took all the courage I had just to give her that rainbow thread! Do you think she figured out what I was trying to say? I can't believe she's actually queer!" She grabbed her head between her forehooves. "Aauughh! Could it even possibly be a date? Am I being stupid? What do you think?!" She gazed in desperate hope at her friend.

"Dating is for plebes and hooligans!!" Photo Finish barked. "I know nothing about it! Nothing!"

Coco sniffled. "So... you can't help? I..."

"Why of course I, Photo Finish, will help the Coco!" She tapped one of her attendants with a hoof. He picked her up and carried her over to Coco so she could embrace her. "But I must observe with my own magical eyes! The body language will tell me all I need to know. I will be Photo Finish the spy!!"

"Really? Um. That’s great, but you’d have to be subtle about it. Could you…”

"SNEAK!" Photo Finish shouted, prancing around the room. "Sneak! Sneak! Sneak! Do you see?!!" She jumped up on a table, flinging her head back into a dignified pose. "I sneak!"

Coco stared at her, bewildered. There was a long pause. "Well, if you--"

"I SNEAK!!" Photo Finish gestured to her entourage, who immediately ran over and formed a pony staircase back down to the floor. “Simply let me know where you will be and all will be well!” She trotted happily down the stairs towards Coco, then paused. “...No.” She posed again. “All will be fantastic!!”

It took a moment, but Coco found herself smiling. “Thank you. I know I’m probably being really dumb, but…”

“Tut tut tut!” Photo Finish shouted. “We are in the business of creating dreams. Of creating beauty!!” She threw her hoof around Coco’s shoulder, spreading her other foreleg out towards the heavens. “And we must work to create beauty for each other when the time comes as well! Because friendship! Friendship is….”

Coco blinked, confused. “Um… friendship is magic?”

Wrong!!” Photo Finish shouted. “Friendship is… the magics!!”

And despite herself, Coco felt better.


The good feelings had not entirely dissipated by the time Coco found herself trotting down the Manehattan sidewalk, but so many other feelings were swirling around in her head, it was all she could do to just be polite. They were surrounded by rainbows and cheerfulness, but the process of meeting or re-meeting so many creatures was tiring.

There was Rarity, of course, who walked right next to her but whose smile was impossible to read. Then there was Pinkie and Fluttershy, whom she remembered liking, and Starlight, who was somehow endearing and intimidating at the same time, and the smart pony in the glasses whose name she forgot, and that blue unicorn who’d decided to stay at the hotel and it was kind of a tense moment and Coco didn’t know why. They were all apparently very close friends with Rarity, and they were all completely gorgeous, and it was the sort of thing where everypony was so nice Coco felt weird about feeling weird. Honestly, the one she felt best about was the darling little Changeling,

"Wow, Starlight" Coco marveled as they all walked, trying not to be too obvious about awkwardly initiating conversation. "I'm amazed you were able to set this up!"

Starlight shrugged. "Sometimes, it's all just who you know. And, well..."

She gestured to her side, where Pinkie was in a continual state of joyful greeting. "Hi, Beeswax! Oh, hey, Cloudwhisper! Lookin' good, magic talking duck! Loved the new album, Sapphire!"

Ocellus peered around in wonder. "So many ponies..." She somehow cringed slightly while still walking. "...I'm not used to this."

“Um, I don’t like crowds too much either,” Coco said to her, receiving a grateful smile in return.

Fluttershy stepped close, nodding. "Just let us know if it becomes too much, all right?" she asked gently. "We can fly off somewhere more quiet." Coco nodded in affirmation, before realizing she didn’t have wings and so that was a silly thing to do. Thankfully, they didn’t seem to notice.

"All right. Thank you." The sidewalk was becoming less crowded as they approached the barriers partitioning off the organization area, but Ocellus seemed to be getting more tense. "Are you sure this is all right? I don't want to bother them."

"Positive!" Starlight chirped with obviously forced cheerfulness. "Aaand I'll show you right now!" She led the group right up to the security guard standing in front of the partition that divided the crowd from the special background area. "Hi! I'm Starlight Glimmer, here from the School of Friendship, and..."

The security guard stepped aside and waved them in with a nod of his head. "Hey, Pinkie," he greeted, sounding bored.

"Hi, Bottleneck! How's guard duty?"

He shrugged. "Someone's gotta do it, I guess. Committee's in the big tent, uh, as if you could miss it."

"Oh." Starlight blinked in surprise. "Well, okay then." She smiled at Ocellus. "See? No problem!"

The committee had managed to partition off half the block, with an indeed very salient, very large, brightly-colored tent apparently serving as a base of operations. Starlight led them up to the main flap; volunteers were milling around, but things didn't look too hectic.

In fact, the whole tent was weirdly shadowy and quiet, like some kind of magic darkness swirling through the periphery. It was a little eerie, despite the mundane contents that were visible: there were some card tables set up and a half-erected stage, several creatures standing on it, talking. Coco supposed she was on edge, and she tried to calm herself.

That did not last long, because of the sudden, loud squealing of the enormous sea monster whose tank sat next to the stage. "Aaa! Is that my favorite ponies?! It is! It's my favorite little ponies!!"

"Steven!" Pinkie sang in greeting, as all three members of Rarity's core group rushed over, looking completely delighted. Moon Dancer, Starlight, and Ocellus seemed quite a bit more confused, but Coco was immediately distracted by Rarity softly bumping against her side before galloping over to the tank.

"Oh, you look fabulous!" Rarity called to the sea monster. "I just love the ascot; what a delightful way to complement your famous facial hair!" She smiled back at Coco, who was trotting hesitantly to catch up. "This is our dear friend Steven Magnet! They played quite an important role in us all becoming friends!"

Steven waved their claw dismissively. "Oh, flatterer! But it's so wonderful to see all of you!" They raised a curious, mischievous eyebrow. "And who are these others? Could they be your... oh, what is the adorable term you all use... your 'special someponies?'"

Starlight froze in awkwardness and Coco froze in something like horror, but luckily Pinkie jumped to their rescue. "Just one of them! This here is Moon Dancer! She's Fluttershy's girlfriend-slash-fiancee!"

"Hi," Moon Dancer greeted. "It's less complicated than it sounds."

"Oh honey, don't you even worry," Steven assured her. "Any relationship without at least one slash in it isn't worth having!"

"And this is Starlight Glimmer!" Pinkie said, moving on quickly. "She runs the Friendship School! She set this up so Ocellus..." She darted behind the frightened changeling and pushed her forward towards Steven's tub. "...could see how this whole event works!"

Steven gasped, quickly shaking both of their hooves. "Oh, that's you! I hope we can help." They leaned down, smiling at Ocellus. "Say, could I ask you to turn into me, but with a different haircut, so I can see how I'd look? I'm kidding! I wouldn't ask you to do that!"

"Oh. Well... I could, though. If you wanted."

"Oh, I like her!" Steven sang. They glanced over at the only member of the group who had not yet been introduced. "And who's this?"

Coco swallowed, which did not at all serve to fix her dry throat and mouth. Steven was clearly entirely benevolent, but the notion of anyone explicitly clarifying her relationship to Rarity was the most monstrous thing she could imagine. "Ehh. Hello. I'm Coco Pommel."

"Coco is my very dear friend," explained Rarity. "She's attending the celebrations with me, and I'm hoping to..." She paused, either meaningfully or just searching for the right words. "...to learn a lot from her this weekend." Coco nodded, both relieved and agonized by the continued ambiguity.

"Hey. Hey, hey." A clapping noise caught all of their attention; they looked to see a griffon standing on the stage nearby, waving. He did not look pleased. "Right right, you're all Steven's best friend, but social hour's over. C'mere."

"Oh well, fine then!" Steven jokily huffed. "But make sure you speak up so I can hear from over here!"

"Yeah yeah." The griffon grumbled to himself, flying over to a table. Coco hesitantly followed the rest of the group up onto the stage, where an eclectic group of creatures was standing. Two earth ponies, a pegasus, and a unicorn… but notably a griffon and donkey, too.

She wasn't sure why she was even surprised, but amazingly Rarity and Pinkie and Fluttershy knew some of them, too. "Mr. Stripes!" Rarity greeted, approaching a large stallion in a track suit. "My goodness, I didn't know you were on the pride event committee!"

"I do for my daughter," the large earth pony replied, not without a little warmth. "I am... what is the term?... murderously protective. I can bite noses off those who'd be prejudiced, or I can volunteer here to make them less prejudiced, and eh. This is less illegal."

"Hi, Buster!" Pinkie said, trotting up to an orange colt who honestly looked far too young to even be there. "Buster's my veeerrrrrrrrry distant cousin!" she explained to the rest of the group.

Buster waved, somehow both gruff and friendly. "Hi."

"Yup uh huh very nice, I'm Gus," the griffon muttered, swooping down. He tossed a badge and lanyard to Ocellus, then flipped through a clawful of other badges, frowning. "Huh, this Starlight character isn't even here. Not sure..."

"Hey, I am here!" Starlight shouted, stomping forward. "I just am not personal friends with apparently everyone in Equestria."

"You're my personal friend!" Steven called.

"Yep sure," Gus grumbled. He tossed a badge to Starlight, then passed the rest to the others in the group. "Look, sorry I can't be friendlier, but our opening event is in like ninety minutes and we are extremely not ready."

"Oh, no!" Ocellus exclaimed. "I'm sorry! I don't want to delay you..."

"It's fine!" A young, grey pegasus mare trotted forward, smiling warmly. "Hi, I'm Gold Star!" She indicated the last two creatures on the stage, a rather elderly donkey and a thin, youthful unicorn. "This is Pippy and Northern Lights!" She smiled warmly at both Ocellus and Starlight. "We really did want to talk to you, and we're glad you had time to talk to us!"

Gus rolled his eyes, clearly happy to let his more social colleague take the lead. "Whatever." He called off to a darker area behind the stage. "Yo! Gold Star's doing her spiel, you coming?"

"Hmm? Oh!" The voice calling back was familiar to Coco, but she couldn't place it. But once again, her colleagues smiled in recognition. She only had a moment for that to make her nervous before one of the most famous ponies in the world trotted out onto the stage, emerging from the shadows like a ghost.

"My!" Luna paused in surprise but managed not to spill any of the coffee she was levitating along with her. She trotted up to them, with a smile that was probably forced and fake but seemed as charmingly genuine as can be... princesses were said to be good at that. "How nice to see you, my friends!"

Coco has always been small, but the extent to which she felt small changed a lot. She felt miniscule when she was with Suri, but it had mostly been different since then. Now, staring up at this titanic alicorn (Coco literally checked to make sure Steven was actually larger than her) she shrank and shrank.

After the greetings and the hugging (Rarity had nuzzled the stunning giantess for maybe five or six eternities), Coco finally found her voice. "You... you know Princess Luna?"

"She's only my second best friend who's a princess!" Pinkie exclaimed. She paused, then grinned nervously. "Oh, sorry, Twilight's first and then all the rest of you are tied, is that okay?"

"Of course." Luna's voice was weirdly sweet for an entity that CREATED THE STARS. Coco very definitely noticed that no one else seemed to find it astounding that one of the former rulers of Equestria, an immortal, gorgeous alicorn, was just standing there with them.

But she felt Rarity acknowledge her, which very quickly made everything nicer. "Oh, how terribly rude of me. Luna, this is..."

"Coco Pommel?" Luna strode forward and shook Coco's limp hoof. She quickly blushed at the bemusement she was causing. "Ah. I'm... sorry for my exuberance. I'm merely a great fan of your work."

Coco gazed up in wonder. "You... are?"

"Indeed." Luna wasn't doing anything but standing there, but she looked like she was posing somehow. "Ever since I've been freed of my royal raiments, I've been more and more interested in the art of fashion. I... try to be an artist myself, and your use of shapes is quite impressive and inspiring! I would love to hear about your creative process."

"Tick tick tick tick!" Gus the griffon called out, flying by with some rainbow decorations in his claw and pointedly not looking down at anyone. "Tick tick. Clock noises. Tick."

"Uh, yes, I'm sorry to step in, but I'm sure you'll all get a chance to speak more later." Gold Star, clearly the 'ponies pony' of the committee, stepped forward, smiling warmly. "We do have to make sure everything's ready for the opening."

"And then tonight's block party," Gus muttered, flying back the other way. "And the two parades tomorrow, the speeches tomorrow night, the..."

"Oh, we get the point, sourpuss!" Steven chided.

"Yes. Thank you." Gold Star appeared to be the kind of pony who never stopped smiling, but it was somehow much less sickly-sweet than it was with Suri. "I'm glad to be able to speak with all of you. Especially you, um... Ocellus?"

Ocellus, startled at suddenly being the center of attention, nodded sharply. "Yes?"

"We're really glad you're here!" Gold Star reiterated kindly. "Pride has done a wonderful job at helping ponies... but like the rest of Equestrian society, I'm afraid we have not done the best at helping creatures that aren't ponies." Princess Luna's gaze dropped in what looked like abashment, which Gold Star noticed. "...And, I think the important thing is working to make every creature feel comfortable, moving forward."

"Y...yes," Luna replied quietly, glancing up at Pippy the donkey before quickly looking away again. "That's a goal we all wholeheartedly support."

"So," Gold Star continued, "we worked to start to have a more diverse organizing committee than we had before. Which is great! Without Steven, we wouldn't know how to solve accessibility issues for water-dwellers, for instance. But it also symbolizes a commitment to inclusivity. And we want to be inclusive to you, too. As an individual and as a changeling. Do you understand?"

"Um." Ocellus looked around, opening and closing her mouth. "Uh."

"Aw, c'mon Goldie, you're freaking her out!" Buster the notably young colt grumbled. He strode right up to Ocellus, shaking her hoof confidently. "Hey, Ocellus, right? I'm kinda an intern here, and I know my way around. Thought we could hang out during the events, if you wanted anything explained to you. And you can let me know if anything makes you feel weird."

"Oh!" Ocellus blushed but nodded. "Yeah. Okay."

"Cousin party!!" Pinkie screeched, dancing in a circle, and Buster handled it rather gracefully, all things considered.

Gold Star beamed adorably, eyes closed and mouth wide open. "Oh, hooray!"

"It's all going to be fine, though," Starlight snapped, a surprising amount of bitterness in her voice.

Everyone looked at her as if suddenly noticing she was present, which was actually probably related to the reason for her irritation in the first place. She pressed a hoof against her mouth, blushing. "Uh. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so forceful. But we're all looking out for Ocellus's safety. She's fine!"

Buster opened his mouth to reply in a manner that did not look like it was going to be very inclusive, but Gold Star swerved in front of him, gazing upon Starlight with big, calm eyes. "Oh yes, we know! We were all so excited to hear from the headmare of the School of Friendship precisely because you've been so important in helping ponies and other creatures get along! Probably more than any other institution. We just want to make sure Ocellus feels included in our community to the extent that she wants, not just safe."

"Hm." Starlight frowned but nodded. "Well. Okay. Thank you."

Gold Star started talking again, but Coco did not hear any of it, because she suddenly became aware of the fact that Rarity was now leaning against her, just totally casually, as if it was nothing.

Coco looked over. Rarity was looking back at her, eyes half-lidded, smiling. She looked very much like she wanted to kiss her, right there in front of everypony, in the middle of some intense conversation about changelings and intersectionality.

For one boneheaded moment, Coco tried to feign confidence. She forced away the thoughts that the pony giving her such a heated look was a world-famous hero and a brilliant businesspony and someone who apparently had five billion startlingly attractive best friends.

But it didn’t last. Coco knew there was no world in which she could pull off being confident and cool, like Rarity was probably used to. She could not be sexy or glamorous or elegant.

But cute, she could do. She knew she was cute. And genuinely interesting. And maybe a little boring, okay, but boring in a reliable way, and her art wasn’t boring. Yes, she was cute and artistic and sweet and interesting and humble. And it was entirely possible Rarity was attracted to those things more than she was attracted to statuesque goddesses or intellectuals or royalty. For Rarity, she could be cute. And at the very least, for the love of all that was good in Equestria, she could pull it together and act like a normal grown-up.

“I just love looking at you,” Rarity breathed, and Coco lost the ability to act like a normal grown-up.

She realized later that this probably was a good thing, because it made her cuter. But at the moment, she didn’t think anything at all. She just gaped as Rarity leaned in.

“Rarity!” Starlight Glimmer yelled, very close by.

NOTHING!” Coco heard herself yip automatically. She threw her hooves up over her face in chagrin.

Everyone was staring at them, and the whole group, even Gus the surly griffon, was looking quite amused by their predicament.

“Oh!” Rarity babbled, face reddening. “My, I. Oh dear, I’m terribly sorry, what were you saying?”

“Just asking if you were ready to go,” Starlight apparently repeated.

“Ah. Yes yes, of course. How lovely to have seen everyone! Steven, Luna, Mr. Stripes… I hope we have a chance to see each other when things aren’t quite so hectic!” She smoothly followed the others to the exit. Coco, far less smoothly, went too.

Amidst the friendly goodbyes, Steven, Luna, Pinkie, Gold Star, and the quiet donkey caught Coco’s eyes for a moment and gave her a smile. It helped.

Falling into step with Rarity, they headed towards the exit. Rarity’s expression was bright and cheerful and excited. She was clearly very happy, but there was something else… pleasant surprise, maybe? Almost… relief? Coco added it to the day’s list of confusing things that would make her worry if she thought too much about them, and she decided not to think too much about it. Then she thought too much about it, anyway.