• Published 7th Jun 2020
  • 389 Views, 33 Comments

the Tale of Tenor Tune - NinjaMare



a stallion tries to live out his dream of becoming a singer, while trying to uphold his duty as a royal guard

  • ...
1
 33
 389

Chapter 7: Retirement & New Page in Life

The Sun was high in the sky this day, not a cloud anywhere to obscure its radiance, and in the city of Canterlot—or more accurately at the castle of Canterlot—something was occurring. The young royal guard member, Tenor Tune, was currently standing in the throne room of the Castle wearing his own set of Royal Guard armor, standing before Princess Celestia herself, and the Caption of the guard Shining Armor…with Iron Brigade standing a few feet him, dawning his own armor as well. After the debacle of yesterday, when Tenor’s father came barging into his mother’s house, and basically just toss his weight around and berate not only Tenor, but poor Jewel Feather as well. When he came back to Canterlot after his week-long vacation, Tenor immediately went to the princess who usually handles the majority of Equestria’s court cases, and requested the princess to look into this case. And thankfully the princess agreed to take this case.

“Iron Brigade, I assume you know why you and your son are here?” Celestia asked the old stallion, her voice holding a tinge of grave disappointment. Even the look on her face looks like that of a disapproving parent.

“I’m afraid I do not princess Celestia.” Iron Brigade says as he holds a perfect guard’s resolute stance.

“Then allow me to explain.” Celestia said as she levitates a few papers from behind to her face. “I’ve recently received a note from Ponyville of an incident involving a stallion barging into a mares home, and procced to harass her and even cause physical harm to her, and her son. Care to guess who this notice is referring to?” the stallion remained silent, not even fidgeting.

“The incident of course refers to you, and your visit to your ex-wife’s home in Ponyville…” Celestia then peered over the papers in her golden aura to look at the stallion.

“You do realize that your wife already has a straining order against you Iron Brigade, and that even coming within a hundred and fifty of her would’ve caused an immediate arrest. But not only did you violate the said restraining order, but you also physically assaulted your ex-wife and son on grounds of ‘retrieving your son from your conniving wife who is making your son soft, and neglecting his duties as a royal guard’.” The alicorn’s words were even harsher as she now places the papers off to the side.

“These are the same claims that caused your divorce in the first place, as well as why you were forced into early retirement.”

The room fell into a resounding silence for a while, as the princess, and the two young-adult unicorn stallions waited for the older stallion to speak. Try to defend himself from what the princess was saying. But the stallion remained resolute, looking like he hasn’t the care of the world. after another minute of the perpetual silence, Iron Brigade spoke.

“Your majesty with all due respect. I believe I was well within my right to retrieve my—”

“Your son is not on object you can order around, to carry out your duties so you can feel like your still part of the guard.” Celestia interjected, sounding even more upset, which honestly made both Tenor and Shining Armor flinch. Even Iron Brigade seemed to twitch at that.

“You were probably one of the best guards I’ve ever had in the royal guards Iron Brigade. You were unwavering in your conviction, and took all of your duties seriously, and I respected that part of you.”

Celestia then closed her eyes as she thought back to a certain day, remembering all those years ago that happened to Tenor’s family. She remembered hearing that her captain was abusing his wife and son from one of the maids, and when she went to go an check on the family, and found what she did, she was heartbroken. For she found and enraged Iron Brigade over his crying wife who was hold her hooves to her face that was steaming, Tenor who was but a preteen was laying on the ground as he was knocked unconscious.

“But you took your duties to far, and injured your family. Your wife because you felt she was sabotaging your career, and your own son because he tried to protect his mother from you.”

“And what’s wrong in taking my duties as a guard seriously?” Iron Brigade questioned, actually making the alicorn look confused as she stares down at him. “Ever since I earned my mark in that guard cadet training camp, I did everything I can to be the best guard, and ensure that my own offspring will follow in my hoofsteps to serve the crown!” Iron Brigade said with such passion that it honestly made Shining Armor conflicted. He admired the determination and resolve of his predecessor, but the methods he went to…just made him feel sorry for Tenor.

“…and yet your son has discovered that his true talent isn’t with the guards, but on a stage, singing wonderful songs for ponies.” Celestia countered as she looks over to the younger stallion. “And yet he’s unable to pursue his true calling, all because he wanted you to be proud of him by following said hoofsteps, despite what you’ve done. But now that’s about to change.”

“What do you mean?” Iron Brigade asked, to which the princess looked to Shining Armor who nodded, before taking a step forward.

“Tenor Tune, in light of recent events concerning your father and mother, and the current state of your life being dictated to you…the princess hereby gives you the option to resign from the Royal Guards—” Iron Brigade actually balked at that when he heard it. “And you are free to choose whatever you want to do in life, if you so wish to.”

“This is an outrage!” Iron Brigade shouted causing both Tenor and Shining to jump back, while Celestia stood her ground. “I will not just have twelve years of my life training, and disciplining this failure of a son of mine to go down the drain so he can just goof off and sing ballads!”

Brigade then turned to look at Tenor, a menacing look in his eyes as he took a step towards the young stallion, who readied himself for a fight. but the older stallion was stopped in a dome of golden energy surrounded him. looking surprised both father and son looked up to the throne, and sure enough, Celestia’s horn was illuminating with magic.

“Tenor…” the alicorn’s voice was level and composed, and yet the look on her face said otherwise as she looks to the young unicorn. “You are free to go.”

“Thank you majesty. And…it was an honor to serve you, and you as well, Captain.”

Celestia and Shining Armor gave a small bow of the head to Tenor, who gave on last courteous bow before making his way out of throne room. But before he exited the room, he looked over his withers at his father, who was glaring daggers at him. Tenor gave a quick look that most assuredly says ‘We’re done’ before leaving his father to whatever fate the princess has for him.

After leaving the castle and his armor behind, Tenor Tune teleported back to his home, and began to back his belongs into suitcases. Before he left Ponyville to return to Canterlot, Tenor told his mom that he would move back to Ponyville as soon as he’s relieved of his duties of the guard, as he only lived in the city because of his station. Naturally, Jewel Feather was more than happy to house her son in the guest room, allowing the two to together as a family again. Tenor of course tried to decline the generous offer, saying he didn’t want to intrude on his moms life, but the mare was insistent in fact she downright demanded he live with her. Unable to refuse his mother’s pleas, the stallion agreed to move in with her.

Roughly twenty or so minutes have gone by, and Tenor has managed to pack everything into three suitcases, not really having much to own anyway as he was renting his apartment.

“Well, that should do it.” Tenor said as he neatly stacked his cases side by side.

“Still a little early to make the trip to Ponyville.” the unicorn then looked to clock on the wall, seeing it approaching noon. A thought then came to the stallion as his eyes drifted to ground. “Perhaps I should visit Velvet at the bar and thank her before I leave the city.”

With that statement now in his mind, Tenor left his apartment and made his way through the city, passing by familiar sights that he’s seen numerous times as he makes his way to the Red Oak bar.

After a leisurely twelve minute trot, Tenor made it to the bar, where he could see ponies enter it and already drinking and eating through the windows. Opening the door the stallion watched as the few employees of the bar trot about, carrying trays of drinks, snacks, and actual foods. Most waved and greeted Tenor when he walked in, some of the patrons were actually surprised to see him, and asked if he was going to perform. Alas Tenor made no promises to the ponies before he made his way over to the bar, where Velvet Shine stood behind the counter, and serving a drink to an older mare. Sitting on a stool Tenor tapped the counter twice, getting Velvet’s attention who looked surprised to see him. Excusing herself from the old mare the red unicorn made her way over to Tenor.

“Well this is a surprise. You’re never here in the afternoon Tenor, what’s the occasion?” the mare asked as she leaned over the counter to give her friend a quick peck on the snout.

“Velvet, how many times have I told you to stop that.” Tenor said with a twinge of shyness and embarrassment, never getting used to his friends more, intimate, display of greetings.

“Come on Tenor, it’s just a greeting between friends.” the mare says coly. “But you still haven’t answered my question. What are you doing here in the evening? Don’t you work during the day?” Tenor took a moment to regain his composure from the little kiss to his nose before speaking.

“I’ve actually resigned from the Royal Guards.” Velvet genuinely looked shocked. For as long as she’s known the stallion, being a guard was everything to Tenor, at least that’s how she’s always interrupted it despite how much he loved singing for ponies.

“Why did you resign? Actually…don’t you need to serve the princess for some time, before you can resign?” the stallion nodded.

“True. But recent events allowed me to resign early from the guard.”

“What do you mean?” Velvet asked her friend, but the look on his faced told her that it was a, sore subject.

“I…don’t want to get into the details Velvet, but let’s just say—” a small smile graces the stallions muzzle as he looks up to the mare, who saw a sense of relief in his eyes. “I’m liberated from my restraints.” While the mare may not know the circumstances to what Tenor meant, she was happy to see her friend look so relieved, and look more happy than she’s seen him be in a long time.

“Well, whatever the case, I’m happy for you.” Velvet says as she pats the stallions shoulder. “So. Since your not part of the guard anymore, what will you do?”

“I’m not sure just yet, but I actually came down here to say goodbye.” The mare quirked a brow as Tenor said that.

“What do you mean?”

“I’ll be moving back to Ponyville in a little while.”

“Oh.” The mare simply said as her ears dropped back. “So I’ll never get to see you again?” Tenor gave the mare a re-assuring smile.

“I’ll still visit from time to time, maybe as a payed on stage singer?” the stallion said as he was now sporting a coy smile, to which Velvet couldn’t help but giggle at, as she’s never seen the prim proper and gentlestallion try to act like this.

“I think we can work something out.” Velvet said to her friend. “Just…promise you will visit okay.” Tenor nodded as he leans over the counter, and gives the red unicorn a hug, who accepted and returned the gesture.

“Thanks for everything you’ve done for me Velvet, from letting me sing here, to listening to me when I get down…and just being a great friend.” The mare nuzzled the stallion in response.

“Anytime.” The pair then broke their hug and went back to their sides of the counter. “Say, before you shuffle off to Ponyville, care to grace us with a song or two?” Tenor thought about the offer, even glancing at the stage, remembering all the times he’s performed on it. and besides, if he is going to be called on to perform whenever Velvet need music…

“Sure.” Velvet smiled before making her way out from behind the counter, and stepping onto the stage.

“Good evening fillies and gentlecolts, and everything else in-between.” The mare said as brushed a bit of her mare out of her face as she addresses the customers who all looked towards her. “Today will be the last day that Tenor Tune, the royal guard that sings here for all of us will perform.” The customers and employees were all shocked to here this, as they all loved to hear the stallion sing whenever he’s booked.

“But fear not fair patrons, for Tenor has promised to visit us on occasion, and sing for our enjoyment when I book him.” the crowed of customers and employees cheered when they heard this. “So, before our favorite singer departs the city to live elsewhere, Tenor Tune has decided to give us a farewell performance. So please welcome and bid Tenor farewell.”

The ponies cheered and tapped their hooves on the tables, or the floor, as Velvet leaves the stage while Tenor stands in her place. The room went quite as all of the ponies waited for the stallion to sing, and as they waited their ears perked up as they started hear something, the sound of music was softly starting to set in as they watched Tenor’s horn glow slightly. Then a few seconds as the background music settled in, the stallion began to sing.

Music: This Is Me (the Greatest Showman).
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHerysALl-I.

Velvet and the ponies of the bar forgot about their drinks and food, as they all just watched the stallion sing with a sense of renewed vigor. Even the employees and the cooks in the back were drawn to the song as the stallion sang, feeling his emotions being projected forth into them with each lyric.

Velvet smiled as she watched her friend sing to his hearts content, no longer looking so rigid or as if something was holding him down. Even though she knows not what has changed in his life, she could tell it was probably the best thing to happen in his life. And to see that stallion sing without remorse, and actually look like he enjoys singing.