• Published 7th Jun 2020
  • 390 Views, 33 Comments

the Tale of Tenor Tune - NinjaMare



a stallion tries to live out his dream of becoming a singer, while trying to uphold his duty as a royal guard

  • ...
1
 33
 390

Chapter 2: the Grand Galloping Gala

Tonight was going to be a special night, for tonight was the annual Grand Galloping Gala, the most premiere and classy party that any pony could be invited to. all types of high-profile ponies from nobility, to celebrities, to very estimated ponies of the business industry will all be attending, along with some specially invited ponies.

Riding on the train heading from Ponyville to Canterlot, Tenor is escorting his mother Jewel Feather to the gala. Tenor is wearing a simple black tuxedo, with a silver trim on the hems and collar, his mane and tail were groomed to look less scruffy looking. Jewel Feather has always been regarded as a beautiful mare that doesn’t need anything to accentuate her beauty, but for tonight, she was wearing a simple light blue dress with the skirt having some faded white trimming, and having her mane having a light blue band with a small ornate jewel flower. The pair were happily sitting peacefully on their bench as they made their way towards Canterlot.

“Thank you for inviting me to the Gala Tenor, it’s been years since I’ve been to a party this extravagant.” Jewel said as she nuzzled her son affectionately.

“Being a member of the guard does have it’s perks.” Tenor said as he nuzzled his mother back.

The two ponies continued to make small talk to pass the time, but soon the train came to a stop as it pulled into the station. Guiding his mother off the train, Tenor and his mother only took a few steps off the train, before Tenor’s horn lit with magic, and the pair teleported directly to the front gate of Canterlot castle. Tenor maybe able to teleport freely around the city no problem, long distance travel like going from Canterlot to Ponyville, is a bit too difficult for the stallion.

“Here we are mom.” Tenor said as he lead his mother inside, while listen to what sounded like lingering music playing in the background.

“It sounds like somepony has just finished using the Music of Harmony.” Jewel Feather commented as her ears swiveled about to get the last bits of music. “What do you suppose the ponies were singing about?”

“Probably just somepony singing about how glad they’re able to come to the Gala.”

Tenor theorized as the pair made their way through the entry hall, and made their way to the main stairway that leads to the Dance Hall. As they reached the top of the stairway, both ponies were greeted by the solar princess, Celestia. With Twilight Sparkle standing next to her.

“Greeting’s princess.” Tenor said as he bowed, his mother doing the same after a moment.

“Greetings Tenor I’m happy that you could make it, and who is this charming mare?” the princess said as she looked down at the mare.

“This is my mother, Jewel Feather, I’ve brought her here as my plus one.”

“Then welcome to the Grand Galloping Gala Jewel Feather, I hope you enjoy yourself.” Celestia said to the mare.

“I most certainly will your majesty.” Jewel said as she gives a more grander bow, before she and her son left the princes, and Twilight, as they made their way for the dance hall. “So Tenor, what shall we do first?”

“Hmmm.” Tenor hummed as he thought for a moment. “Well first off, how about we get something to drink?”

“Sounds like a good start!”

Jewel said before she and Tenor headed for the refreshment table, and as they trotted pass some ponies watched them, wondering who they were. A few stallions especially were wondering who Jewel was, as their eyes traces over her body. Tenor noticed some of the stallions ogling his mother like deviants, and flared his horn to get their attention and then shot them a glare, if any stallion tries to make a move on his mother without honest feelings, Tenor will have strong words for them. If not strong actions. Reaching the table Tenor used his magic to pour two glasses of the sparkling berry cider into two cups, levitating one over to his mother who took it in her hoof. As they drank their ciders, Tenor would occasionally look around the dance hall, checking out what other ponies were doing.

He cringed a little when he saw a unicorn mare in a rather stunning dress walk away with prince Blueblood, seeing this Tenor inwardly prayed for her, everypony in the castle knows just how much of a boar Blueblood is, and any mare who was foolish enough to be enticed by him. may the sun have mercury on them.

Another interesting, or rather unusual thing, that Tenor has noticed was a very energetic mare wearing a very festive looking dress. The mare was bouncing around like a very energetic foal, and was chant singing something, and just looked she was having the time of her life. Of course when Tenor looked at the ponies she passes, or dances around, they don’t look to pleased. Granted this mare was bouncing around like she was at a child’s party, and looked to be having fun, but she should at least know…this is not one of those types of parties.

“Tenor? Is something happening, I feel some ponies groaning, and grumbling.” Jewel asked as her ears swiveled around, catching some ponies annoyed comments, and some harsh words that may have not been called for.

“Well for one thing, there’s this very bubbly mare bouncing around, and acting like she’s a filly at her friends birthday party.” Tenor commented as he continues to watch the mare, even as she jumps on stage, and starts trying to get the band to change up their music. “But she does seem to be enjoying herself.”

“Is she the one that’s fiddling around with the band, cause it sounds like somepony is screwing around with the instruments.” Jewel asked as she winced slightly, as she heard the piano go severally off-key.

“E’yup, that’ll be her.” Tenor chuckled.

“OH Tenor, I’ve just got a great idea!” Jewel said as she face her son. “Why don’t you sing for all of us, this could be your chance to just be you.” Tenor thought about it for a moment.

“I don’t know mom, I doubt they’ll just let any pony on the stage, and start singing.” Tenor said.

“Well if that mare managed to get on stage, maybe you can to.”

“Maybe. But she didn’t exactly ask to go on stage.”

“Then we’ll just ask.” Jewel said places her cup on the table. “Besides, I’m certain when ponies here you sing, they’ll ask for an encore.”

Thinking about it for a moment later, Tenor was half-n-half about going through with the idea. Looking back at his mom and seeing her hopeful smile, he ten looked to the stage, where the band managed to shoo away the mare. As he looked up at the stage, Tenor thought that it would be nice to sing for such a luxurious crowed, but would the band even allow him on stage. And would the ponies even think he was good enough. Turning back to his mother Tenor was still meet with that hopeful look on her face.

“…” Tenor took in a deep inhale before slowly letting the breath out. “Let’s give it a try.”

Jewel’s face was instantly lit up, and actually attempted to guide her son to the stage, using her ears to help her hone in on where the music was generating from. Quickly catching up to his mother, Tenor lead the way as he stuck close to Jewel, and in no time the pair managed to reach the stage. And once they reached the stage, the cellist caught a glimpse of them out of the corner of her eye, and when she saw Tenor a small smile caressed her muzzle as she turned to look at the stallion.

“Well, well, if it isn’t my old schoolmate Tenor Tune. How are you fairing nowadays?” the mare asked as she continued to play her cello.

“I’m doing well Octavia, and I see you’ve honed your talent quite well.” Tenor said to the mare who gave a small bow.

“Thank you for the complement, although I can’t say the same for you.” Octavia said a little disheartened as her smile lessen slightly. “When I heard that you being drafted into the Royal Guard, I thought ponies wouldn’t be able to hear you’re wonderful voice again.”

“Actually that’s why we came over here.” Jewel said as she prompted herself up, placing her forehooves on the stage, and getting the whole bands attention. “We were wondering, if you would allow Tenor to sing, while you all play.” The majority of the band seemed unsure about this idea.

“We’ve just managed to get rid of that crazy mare a moment ago.” The pianist said annoyedly. But that’s when Octavia spoke up.

“Trust me High Note, Tenor is nothing like that stage crasher.” She then turned to look at Tenor. “Care to show them what you’re really capable of Tenor?”

Tenor was hesitant for a moment, but a nudge & an encouraging smile from Jewel, spurred Tenor to up the stage. Tenor then spoke in a low voice to what song he was planning to sing, and gave a brief description of what the music was like. The band seemed to like the song choice that Tenor came up with, but they were still in the middle of their peace, so Tenor stood off to the side. As she Jewel, she flapped up to the stage to be with her son, and was brought to a comfortable in the back of the stage. The mother and son waited in the back of the band, simply listening to the band finish their classical piece, which took about another five or so minutes. Once the band had finished their piece, the dancing hall went quite for a bit, as one of the musicians went to grab a mic-stand. When it was set up Octavia ushered Tenor to take the stand, and as he did so, Octavia cleared her voice into the mic to gather every ponies attention.

“Please excuse us for the brief silence my dear guest, but tonight we have a special treat for you all.” The crowed seemed to be intrigued and listened carefully to what Octavia has to say. “Providing some wonderful singing for you all tonight, please welcome an old college of mine, Tenor Tune.”

The ponies gently clapped their hooves on the floor as Tenor took center stage. The stallion took another moment to briefly compose himself, before he started to focus on the song he was about to sing, the music started to play in the background. To which the band was quick to catch onto, and play along to add more depth to the piece as a whole. And once he was ready, Tenor began to sing.

Music: Diamond Jack: The Villain I Appear to Be (Male Cover)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUCFSwYCD9k.

Ponies listened with enchanted reverie, as they began swaying to the slow melody. Some ponies then decided to pair up, and began slow dancing with each other, stepping in tune with the music and lyrics that were encompassing the large room. Elsewhere though, in another similar hall although a bit larger, a few things were starting to pick up.

The ponies continued to dance as the song continued onward, the song picking up in tempo and strength in its verses. Tenor meanwhile was loving to be able to do this, just to be himself, and the fact that other ponies other than those at the inns and pubs he sings at, were loving and even dancing to his singing just made him feel even better. Jewel Feather for her part, had her eyes closed as she swayed her head as she listened to her son singing, a smile gracing her muzzle as she simply listens to her son being himself.

In the other hall, things really starting to pick up, as a group of mares were starting to cause a commotion. There was a pegasus that tried to catch the eyes of the Wonderbolts, but ended up toppling several pillars, one mare brought an overly large unstable looking cake into the hall, which was flung across the room by a pink mare staging diving. And if Tenor could see who almost got nailed by the cake, but was spurred by his ‘date’, then he would be laughing his flanks off. But the craziness went to the next level, when the castles garden animals came running into the hall after being chased by a crazed looking mare.

As the song was coming to it’s climax, the ponies in the next hall over were really in a horrid panic. And as for the group of ponies that caused all of the commotion, they were on run for the front gates of the castle. All the while the mess they left behind was left for Celestia, and the royal guards she called in to gather up the animals and wrangle them outside, while also seeing to the guest.

As the song came to a close, and the music fading away to peaceful silence, Tenor took a moment to catch his breath. And was assaulted by ponies stomping their hooves in cheer. The stallion looked around at the crowed of pleased ponies, before looking back at the band who were giving him equal praise. Octavia gave a bow of her head as she readied to play her cello again, which her fellow bandmates readied themselves for another song. Looking to his mother, Tenor saw a proud smile on her muzzle, and a few tears in the mare’s blind eyes. Sensing that her son was looking at her, Jewel gave Tenor a respectful nod, before simply mouthing ‘encore’. Tenor gave a quick nod, and looked back at the crowed who began asking for an encore themselves. Levitating a small glace of water from a small table for the band, Tenor took a quick drink before continuing to sing for the crowed of ponies.

Author's Note:

so for the song i used, i thought it was appropriate as it kind of describes how Tenor felt about doing this on stage singing, while still feeling hesitant to actually do what his special talent is. also, i thought it would be a good song to accompany the craziness that happens to Twilight's friends.