• Published 7th Jun 2020
  • 390 Views, 33 Comments

the Tale of Tenor Tune - NinjaMare



a stallion tries to live out his dream of becoming a singer, while trying to uphold his duty as a royal guard

  • ...
1
 33
 390

Chapter 9: the Finale

Author's Note:

I am so SORRY that it's taken this long to finish this fic, mostly to you SilentStrike who requested that i do a fic around your OC.

Things were certainly looking up for Tenor Tune. After being relieved of his duties from the royal guard, and moving back to his hometown of Ponyville, and finally shaking off the restrictive grasp his father has been baring down on him for most of his life, the stallion has been enjoying his new life. Even his new job at the Silver Bit has been really good, Tenor was picking the tricks and trades of being part of a pub, earning some good tips while getting better at serving drinks. And of course there is his side-gig as being the pubs live singer every Saturday, where he earns just as much bits as his paycheck, but the bits was a second concern for him, what Tenor Tune really loved was be able to sing to his heart’s content. Of course hearing how much he’s been enjoying his new life has made Jewel Feather overly happy, especially that her son is being able to do the one thing that he loves to do.

Today would mark his third week of living in Ponyville, and at the moment, the stallion was making his way through the less crowded night streets of the town, occasionally meeting other ponies who praise him for his singing talent, or just to greet him. Normally his shifts at the Silver Bit would be around high noon, but on Saturdays he would sleep in, so he’d be well-rested for performing at the pub’s night hours start rolling around. Now usually the night life of Ponyville isn’t as rowdy as Canterlot, but that didn’t mean it was dead, just not as crazy, and wild as larger towns or cities.

Reaching the pub Tenor could already see a slew of ponies already inside, drinking and eating and genuinely having a jolly ol’ time. As he comes upon the tavern, the stallion blinked out of existence and re-appeared at the back of the pub, where he entered through the back door. Whenever Tenor entered the tavern via the front door, when it was his day to perform, he would be swarmed by the patrons about what songs they wanted him to sing, or simply fuss over him. in all honesty it feels like they treat him like a celebrity, which is a little disconcerting for Tenor than what would be a sense of butterflies in his stomach.

“Hey there colt, ready to start your shift?” Copper said as she saw Tenor enter through the backdoor.

“Yup.” Tenor simply said.

“Well good. But before you start singing, I’m going to have to have ya hold off on performing for a bit, we’re a bit short-hooved tonight as Lotus Fall is going to be late. Same with Bobble, he’s trying to find a sitter for his kids…which is what he should’ve done during the day.” The older mare grumbled as she rubbed her forehead.

“No problem ma’am, so what do you need me to do tonight?”

“First off why don’t you help out Glitter, she’s been swamped at the bar and really needs help.”

Tenor nodded and began making his way through the back of the building, reaching the break room where he signed his name on a ledger to show that he showed up for his designated shift. Once signed in, the stallion magicked a dark red shirt with the taverns logo on it onto his body, then passed the kitchen and headed into the main space of the pub, where it was jam packed with ponies sitting at tables and the bar, drinking, and eating the food being served by the servers. Lift the guard to the bar, Tenor meet up with the lone barkeeper Glitter, a vibrant pink unicorn with long teal mane tied back into a ponytail, and wearing the same dark red work shirt that he was.

“Oh Tenor thank Celestia you’re here, it’s been a mad house all afternoon!” Glitter said as she finishes making a drink and passing it over to a server, then immediately going into making a new drink.

“Well have no fear Glitz, I’m here to help. So, who’s up first.” A hoof tapped on the counter to get the stallions attention, and when he turned to look who it was a small smile graced his muzzle. “Hey there Rarity.”

“Hello darling, aren’t you going to be singing tonight?” the mare asked inquisitively as she leans on the counter.

“I will later, right now I gotta help Glitter until Bobble or Lotus show up, so she won’t be swamped.”

“Oh. Well in that case I’ll get out of your mane and let you work. but before I do, could whip me and my friends something to drink?”

Tenor nodded and asked what is it that she, and her friends wanted to drink. Once the stallion had served up the tray of drinks Rarity left the stallion to his work, carrying the tray in her magic as she makes her way to her table, and boy-howdy was it indeed busy! The moment that the white mare left the counter Tenor was slammed by one pony after another, asking for various drinks, or taking in orders for food, so he was making and mixing drinks like no ponies business.

As time went on Tenor was still at the bar mixing and serving drinks, but after hour and a half of his shift have gone by Bobble—a brown pegasus with a bright yellow mane and tail finally showed up—and almost immediately went to work at the bar. However despite the stallion showing up, a new flow of customers came bursting into the pub, which just made bar have to work harder to get drinks and food out. Luckily though before it really got busy with the new bunch of customers, Louts—a bright red unicorn with a glassy black mane and tail with a dark pink stripe running through them—came bursting into the pub and started apologizing for being late, and immediately darted behind the counter and started to make drinks for ponies.

“Alrighty then colt, now that the helps here, time to get on that stage and sing!” Copper says to Tenor as she leaned on counter.

“Kay. But let me help clean up before I take the stage.” The stallion said as he cleans up some spills, and dirty spots made by both patrons and employees during the whole drink distribution

As Tenor finished cleaning up around the bar, and wishing the three ponies good luck in dealing with the abnormal crowed of ponies at the pubs bar the stallion made his way to stage, but stopped when another known pony was right in his way. Trotting up to the table closest to the table, the stallion gently tapped on the mild-age mare’s shoulder to get her attention.

“Tenor is that you?” Jewel asked as she turned to face her son.

“Yup its me.”

“Oh there you are hon.” The mare said as she wraps a wing around the stallion, bringing him into a hug. “Is everything alright? Usually you’d be on stage, and be on your third song for the night.”

“Oh that. There was a little employee issue, so I had to help out. But now everything is alright, so now I’ll be singing for a while now.”

“Well have a good time up there son.” Jewel said as she gives a little kiss to her son’s cheek.

“I always do!” Tenor says in a cheeky tone as he makes his way up to the stage, while Jewel Feather gives a small smile to her son as she listens to him climbing the steps up to the stage.

Once the stallion has gotten onto the stage the pub slowly started to quiet down, as they all looked towards Tenor while he greets the patrons of the pub, and thanked them for coming to come and hear him sing for them, to which the crowed applaud and thanked the stallion for providing excellent vocal service for them ever Saturday.

With pleasantries made the pub was then filled with background music, and soon enough the unicorn began singing song after song, filling the tavern with various songs of different genres. The stallion even sang songs requested by both the customers and the staff, and with his gifted vocal range and adapt use of sound based magic, the unicorn was able to sing various types of songs and styles. Even with performing like this for three weeks now, and occasionally making the trip back to Canterlot to sing at Velvet’s bar, Tenor still can’t believe that he is actually able to sing. Do the thing that earned him his cutie mark without being shamed by any pony because of it.

Hours go by and by the time it was past midnight, and Tenor had finished singing, and helping out his fellow staff members, the pub was now empty of customers. Leaving only the staff of servers, barkeeps, and the cooks in the kitchen, cleaning up everything and trying to get the bar in good condition before closing up.

“Good work today ponies; it was certainly a crazy night.” Copper said as she helped the staff clean up around the bar.

“Tell me about it!” Glitter groaned as she remained slumped in a chair. “After dealing with that many customers, I might need a drink.”

“Same.” Bobble said as he starts making himself something, as well as something Glitter, she really did look like she could use a drink.

“Well hopefully tomorrow will be a much slower day, so we won’t be run ragged.” Tenor said in a partially joking manner, getting a few chuckles from the two barkeeps, and the servers that were mopping around the main room.

As the two barkeeps enjoy a well-earned drink and rest, the rest of the staff continued on with their cleaning duties, while Copper and her assistant manager finish up some paper work and delivery orders. By the time it was around three in morning and the pub was closing up for the night, the staff started to leave one by one as they collected their pay, tips, and maybe something to eat and drink for their late night dinner. Leaving the pub behind after gathering up some food, and collecting up all the tips that ponies placed in the new ‘singer bowl’, Tenor bid everypony left in the pub farewell until next shift. But as he exited the pub and took only a few steps out, a cough caught the stallions attention, and when he looked to where the noise came from Tenor found Rarity sitting a nearby bench.

“Rarity, what are you doing sitting out here?” the mare stood up from the bench and made her way over to the white stallion.

“I’ve actually been waiting for you darling.” The mare said sweetly as she brushed some of her mane to the side. “I wanted to talk to you before you took the stage, but since it was such a busy night, I decided to wait till you clocked off.”

“I see. So, what is it you want to talk to me about?” Tenor asked as Rarity now stood before him. although, it seemed that the mare was a little hesitant to speak, in fact when the stallion looked closely at Rarity he could see what looks like a faint blush on her muzzle.

“…I was wondering darling, are you, free this Sunday?”

“I am.” The look of anxious on Rarity’s face quickly turned into a very pleased look of joy as she turned to face Tenor fully.

“Then would you care to spend the day with me?” now it was Tenor’s turn to develop a small blush of his own on his face.

“I would, yes.” The mare then gave the tinniest of filly squeals as she quickly trotted in place.

“Then meet me at my boutique sometime around eleven, I should be down with all my orders for the day by then.”

And with that Rarity gave the stallion a quick peck on the cheek, before darting off into the distance, looking like a overly giddy school foal. As for Tenor, he was just a little shocked and surprised by the sudden kiss, and invite for a date. Ever since he meet Rarity when he came to Ponyville during his week long vacation, Tenor has found her to be not only beautiful, but charming and delightful to be around, and he would be lying if he didn’t find her alluring. And ever since he moved back to Ponyville, and started to mingle with Twilight and her circle of friends, Tenor and Rarity have gotten to become rather good friends. from there on as Tenor spent more time around the unicorn, helping her with any manual tasks, and even joining Rarity and her friends on their strange yet interesting adventures, he started to feel an attraction towards the charming white mare. Which seems to be mutual attraction if the ‘date’ request was anything to go by.

Raising a hoof to his cheek that was just kissed, Tenor rubbed the spot where Rarity kissed him as a small smile started to grow on his muzzle. While his chest has a ‘flittering’ sensation start to swell up inside him.

“I’m really loving my new life.” Tenor muttered to himself as he begins to trot home, all the while thinking about what tomorrow, or even the future has in store for him as he finally walks the path that he wants in life.

Comments ( 5 )

Great story!

Is there going to be a sequel?

A Magnificent End To An Equally Magnificent Story I Can't Thank You Enough For This Ninjamare!

10624302
If And When You Do I'll Bet It'll Be Just As Good As This One :)

Maybe It'll End Up Being A Oneshot ;)

Login or register to comment