• Published 18th Aug 2020
  • 642 Views, 47 Comments

Swallowed in the Sea - FoolAmongTheStars



They first met on the seashore, but it felt like they knew each other for longer than that.

  • ...
1
 47
 642

iii. voiceless

“I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think they sing to me.” ―T.S. Elliot


“Stop! Stop the execution!”

The scribe continued with his sentencing. The crowd jeered and chanted obnoxiously, their hooves stomping the ground in excitement and drowning out his screams from reaching the stage. Shining Armor called out to him when Sunburst rushed forward, but he hardly heard him as he pushed and shoved his way to the front of the gallows.

“Stop this! I order you to stop!”

The hangman walked away from her and placed a hoof over the lever, the mare followed the motion with apprehension in her eyes.

“I SAID STOP!” His voice boomed and alarmed the onlookers in front of him

The ponies gathered there turned to look, their surprise turned into enthusiasm when they recognized him. Shining Armor rushed to his side and the crowd parted to let them pass, whispering and mumbling to themselves as he approached the gallows. He felt their eyes follow him and tried not to think about it, for if he did he would freeze, back down and an innocent pony would die.

The scribe bowed when he approached. “My lord! How may I be of service?”

“Release this mare at once, she’s not a criminal,” Sunburst said curtly, the ponies closest to the front began to mumble loudly in surprise.

Sunburst put one the bravest face he could muster, even if he was trembling on the inside, and it seemed to work for the scrawny scribe looked nervously at his scroll. “My Lord, she was found on the beach near the wreck of one of the Storm King’s vessels,” the scribe said hastily. “Wearing the uniform of his troops, we tried to offer her a lesser sentence if she spoked up, but even now she refuses to say a word.”

Sunburst looked at the mare, who stared back at him in shock, jaw hanging loose and body trembling with fear. He smiled gently at her, hoping the gesture would comfort her, even if his heart wrenched at her pitiful appearance. Her lips moved and he waited to hear the timbre of her voice, but no sound came from her mouth. Either the scribe was right or she was too stunned by the turn of events to speak properly.

“Then let me clear her name right here and now: she’s the mare that saved my life and I’ll use it to defend hers,” Sunburst said loud enough for everyone to hear, and the crowd gasped and went to a frenzy almost drowning out the rest of his speech. “Let her go, so I may pay my debt to her.”

The scribe hesitated, looking at Sunburst like he grew a second head. Not that Sunburst blamed him, he felt light-headed as the sun beat down over them and the realization of what he just did was starting to catch up to him, but it was too late to back down now. The crowd grew restless as the silence dragged on, he heard Shining Armor approaching him but he kept his eyes on the scribe, holding on to what little courage he had to stand his ground. The scribe swallowed, looked at his scroll, then at Sunburst, then back to his scroll, measuring who had the most authority in this situation, and decided that arguing with the Duke just wasn’t worth it, and sighed.

“As you wish my lord.”

Sunburst let out a quiet breath as the scribe motioned for the hangman to release her. The mare staggered as the tension in the rope disappeared, making him realize she had been standing on the tips of her hooves to keep from choking. Once they took off the chains Sunburst approached her and she looked warily at him.

“It’s alright, you’re safe now,” Sunburst said gently, taking her hoof and motioning for her to follow him.

She reluctantly did, lowering her head so her mane would fall over her face as the crowd stared at them. Shining Armor followed and stood tall and menacing beside them, daring anyone from the mass to stop them. None of them dared.

“Go get the carriage, we’re heading home,” Sunburst said quickly as the trio walked away from the murmuring, gossiping crowd.


Starlight stared in awe at the strange structure growing closer in the distance. She didn’t know what to make of it, or the rest of what was going on around her for that matter: the strange contraption that was carrying them uphill, the strange scratchiness in her throat like she swallowed a mouthful of sand, and the two landlubbers that rescued her.

The mare tried to ignore them, but they were arguing loudly and she was forced to listen.

“First the ridiculous search for an imaginary mare and now this! You know that they call you the Kook of Sire’s Hollow, right? You’re proving them right with this little stunt you just pulled.”

Next to her, the red one shrugged and tried to look uncaring, but he was failing. “They’ll talk about me no matter what I do.”

“But that doesn’t mean you have to give them more reasons to talk.”

“What did you want me to do? Leave her to die?”

“Yes!”

Starlight looked away, watching the strange boxy structure in the distance growing closer, the tense silence dragged on for an uncomfortable minute before it was broken by a sigh.

“You’re taking in a criminal and obstructing the law, Sunburst. There will be consequences that even your title won't protect you from, once Chancellor Neighsay hears about this.”

“Good thing he’s tied up in Horseshoe Bay dealing with the pirates,” Sunburst said, pushing his glasses up his muzzle. "It buys us some time to prove her innocence."

“Don’t you want to rescue them too?” He murmured, but it was loud enough for all of them to hear.

The stomping of the horse hooves reverberated as they approached the black iron gate, which opened on its own to let them through and closed gently behind them. Her eyes were glued to the window as they rode through a winding path upward a hill, it had been a while since she saw so much greenery and color in one place, and her heart twisted when she saw ponies working in them, just like at home but…

They came to a stop in front of the boxy―she was sure there was a name for it, but it eluded her―structure and the white stallion was the first to get off, his hooves crunching the gravel underneath as he walked away, leaving them alone. The stallion with the orange hair slid off from the ride with ease, turning to her with a gentle smile as he helped her down.

“Don’t listen to him, he’s just worried about...well, about everything really since it’s been a couple of stressful weeks,” he looked at her pitiful appearance and his genuine smile remained, but she could see his concern. “For all of us.”

He ushered her to the building―house! That was the word she was looking for!―and through the dark green doors. She stared in awe of the foyer, marveling at how big it was and all the curious things she couldn’t name decorating the space. The wooden floors creaked slightly at their every step, even though the carpet muffled much of the sound. Pictures hung from the white walls and she wanted to stop and stare at everything she came across, but he had her by the hoof and he tugged her along whenever she stopped to stare at something unfamiliar.

“Goldie! Are you in here?”

The pair stepped into a cluttered, darkroom and at the sound of Sunburst’s voice, there was a crash and a thud, causing the mare to jump and hide behind her escort, looking warily into the darkness.

“Is that you Sunny? Nice of you to drop by!”

A light appeared as an old mare opened the curtains and Starlight felt her cheeks warming in embarrassment, feeling silly for her earlier fright. Goldie wore a faded pink shawl on her withers which look just as old as her, she was small and delicate looking, with white curls in her mane and kind green eyes that were sharp despite the crow’s feet. Those eyes took in her appearance with such pity that she felt her blush growing stronger.

Sunburst smiled warmly. “Sorry for just barging in, but I need your help.”

As he explained what had happened, Starlight’s dark blue eyes wandered around the room, taking note of the number of books piled on the walls and the floor, each one older and more worn out than the last. She approached a pile of them with a frown, touching the slightly dusty cover with a careful hoof. She’s never seen so many books in one place, and so carelessly tossed around too, not since she was...

The half-formed thought disappeared when she felt a tap on her shoulder, and her anxiety rosed sharply at the touch. Sunburst inched closer to her, kindness lacing his features, his messy hair flopping over his face and glasses despite his attempts to brush it aside. She smiled weakly at him, anxious about what lay ahead for her, and he introduced the old mare to her.

“This is Goldie Delicious, she used to look after me when I was a boy, and she will take care of you for the time being.” He said with a smile that mimicked hers. “Anything you need, just ask her.”

The small mare approached her, tilting her head up as she got closer, and she took her hoof with care. “Come along, dearie. Let’s get you into a warm bath and in something more comfortable. It’s unspeakable what they’ve done to you.”

She looked at Sunburst nervously, as though asking permission to leave, and he nodded with approval. “I’ll see you tonight.”


Goldie Delicious liked to talk and didn’t seem to mind the strange silence of her charge. Not that her charge had much to say, too busy lying in bliss in the warm bathtub as the mare brushed her hair.

“Your mane is lovely dearie, I’ve never seen such colors before!”

Starlight shrugged at the compliment. It had taken several minutes of hard scrubbing to wash out all the dirt and grime off her hair, a process that had been painful and slightly humiliating when the water grew dirtier every time Goldie poured water over her head. She never cared much about her pony form to begin with, when she was in her aquatic form her mane would be a solid fin on her neck and skull, serving a purpose and helping her swim faster, now it just floated on the soapy water, dead and useless.

Goldie patted her shoulder gently. “Now, don’t you worry your little head about nothing, you’re safe, and Sunny will make sure to keep it that way if it’s one thing I thought him is to keep his promises,” she put the brush on a small table to the side and walked to the door. “I’m going to go fetch you a change of clothes, step out of the bathtub whenever you’re ready.”

The old mare closed the door softly behind her, leaving Starlight alone in the bathwater.

Being back in the water was comforting but not enough to quell the anxiety inside her, and without Goldie’s chatter to keep her occupied her mind wandered into darker thoughts. She reached out and grabbed the brush from the table, brushing her mane with the same gentle motions as Goldie had, however, she found it out that it wasn’t the same to brush one’s mane.

Carefully examining the large, unfamiliar chamber didn’t bring her much comfort. She didn’t know what purpose or function most of the things she saw served, and she was too exhausted and anxious to find out. The last time she was curious it had landed her in a small, dirty cell, and she learned the hard way what being dry and thirsty meant.

The brush slipped from her grasp and it sunk to the bottom of the bathtub, she tried to reach for it blindly with little success and dipped her head underwater, opening her eyes as she normally would and taking in a breath, but when the water rushed into her nose it burned in a way it never had before. So surprised she was that she jerked her head to the surface with a gasp, coughing and spluttering and sending soapy water onto the tile floor.

It took her a moment to realize that she couldn’t breathe underwater anymore.

She stood up abruptly, eager to leave and search for clues. She didn’t know why she was suddenly being treated so nicely, or what they wanted from her, or what they had planned for her, but Starlight was tired of being kept in the dark and being subjected to the whims of others. Her best bet was to talk with the stallion that saved her, but she had to find him first.

Water dripped down her body as she stepped out of the tub and she hissed when the warm air touched her wounds, looking down she saw that most of the dried blood had washed away, revealing the red welts and lacerations she received during her imprisonment. Though the pain of her wounds paled in comparison to the one on her neck.

It was right underneath her jaw, hidden in the juncture where her jawbone met her neck. She touched it gingerly only to wince as pain shoot up her spine, it was deep and throbbing but otherwise healed.

She shivered as she opened the door to the bedroom, the air was much cooler than in the bathroom, but she ignored it and walked to the exit, still dripping from her bath and leaving a trail of water behind her.

Starlight opened the door and came face to face with the pony she was looking for.

Sunburst looked down at her in surprise, his white hoof still raised to knock on the door as he took in her soaked appearance. Starlight’s head dipped to the side as she watched the range of emotions that colored his face, she didn’t think a creature could go through so many facial expressions so quickly.

“W-Why are you walking around like that?!”

He looked on either side of the hallway before he ushered her inside, his cheeks glowing crimson as he closed the door behind him. He kept his eyes downcast, watching for the puddles Starlight had unwittingly left behind and to keep from staring at her naked form.

Starlight answered, her mouth opening to speak, but no sound came out. She frowned and tried again, forcing her stomach and her lungs to form some kind of sound, all she managed was a pathetic wheeze.

“Didn’t Goldie give you some towels?” He looked around and saw the pile of the white terrycloth next to the bathroom door. “Look here they are, you must have missed them when you left the room, but Goldie shouldn’t have left you alone like this, I’ll talk to her about being more careful in the future.”

She wasn’t listening to his rambling, too busy clutching her throat as the realization of what happened to her sank in and her body shivered in a way that had nothing to do with the cold. The muscles on her neck strained to make a sound, her breathing became shallow when she took in mouthfuls of air―air! It was so dry and scratchy, and she had to think about breathing or she would otherwise stop! She never thought she would miss the mindless movement of her gills! And her tail, and her voice…!

Starlight would’ve laughed if it weren’t for the panic clouding her vision. Shaking her head in denial when nothing came out she tumbled to the floor, hardly feeling the hardwood underneath her, just the despair of being in an unfamiliar body.

Sunburst jerked his head at the sound, turning to see his charge laying on the floor and shivering uncontrollably.

“Miss!” He approached her nervously, his hooves dancing with uncertainty. “Miss, are you alright?”

She shook her head, sitting up enough to pound at her chest, trying to dislodge whatever was that wasn’t letting her speak. As if it were that simple to break a curse like this. She only stopped when she felt something soft and light on her shoulders and head, taken by surprise by the clean smell and the warmth that it offered.

“Miss, please tell me what’s wrong, let me help you.” He said gently, rubbing his hooves over the white towel, trying to dry and comfort her at the same time.

Starlight sniffed and looked down at her hooves, focusing on the gentle motions of his hooves through her mane. It anchored her through her panic and she soon stopped trembling, the grief was still there, but it was manageable and it gave her the clarity to try to communicate.

Lifting her hoof she pointed at her throat and shook her head with agitation. Her movements dislodged his hold on her and he watched with confusion when she then pointed at her back legs, over and over again, before going back to her throat and her mouth while shaking her head. She looked like she was about to cry, eyes glistening with frustration before she gazed down at the floor with defeat.

Sunburst frowned and petted his goatee while he thought. He asked her in a doubtful tone. “Are you saying...that there’s something wrong with your body?”

She nodded eagerly, lifting her head and pointing at the scar under her neck.

He stared at it, taken aback by its appearance. It looked ghastly, like a piece of her flesh had been ripped off and sown hastily back together, and it must’ve been recent since the fur hadn’t grown back and the skin underneath looked pink and tender.

Comprehension dawned on him, touching his neck in sympathy he muttered under his breath. “You truly are mute.”

Author's Note:

This chapter is pretty "meh" for me, but I like to take the moment for those that favorite and commented, and even to those lurkers out there, thank you for taking the time for this story!