• Published 5th Jul 2020
  • 587 Views, 17 Comments

A Diamond In The Rough - SunTwi06



An unfortunate mishap brings two friends together one night at the park, having them confront their inner demons and find solace in each other.

  • ...
3
 17
 587

A Night In The Park

It was late by the time she had finally finished her homework; her parents still weren’t home… Still, that’s how Silver Spoon liked it. Not so much that she detests her own family, quite the obvious. But usually her parents would go off attending a social gathering with their esteemed colleagues leaving her to man the fort, or in this case, her manor, with enough piece and quiet to get her work done. Somedays, her parents wouldn’t be home at all so Silver Spoon wasn’t too concerned.

As soon as her homework was complete, Silver Spoon would spend the remainder of her time posting the latest post on her blog channel. Nothing on the subject of those ‘Save the Earth’ fundraisers or any political debates, it was just Silver Spoon talking about life. It didn’t matter if it was a typical day at school or just a means of voicing her frustrations, just life in general. Silver Spoon practically lived by the keyboard, putting all her thoughts into a few simple words that she could easily fix for any issues, be it spelling or grammar.

Silver Spoon kept her blog short and sleeve, went over the material several times before it was satisfying enough to post. With that out of the way, nothing beat finishing a long day’s work than catching up with her reading. She opens the drawer by her bedside desk, pulls a single book from inside, and turns to the page marked by a bookmark. With the only light stemming from the bedside lamp and her glasses adjusted, Silver Spoon makes herself more comfortable by removing the scrunchy keeping her ponytail intact, allowing her platinum blonde hair to hang loose and wild.

My parents would kill me if they ever see me this way,” Silver Spoon said to herself. “For them, it’s all about presentation.

A few minutes passed and Silver Spoon was truly getting into her book. Give her another hour or two and she’d be done with the book even if it took till midnight.

BUZZ!!!

Silver Spoon turned at the sound of her cellphone’s buzzer going off, her eyebrows raise with confusion.

“Now, who would text me this late?”

Placing the bookmark along the latest page, Silver Spoon slid the book aside and reached for her cellphone, pulling it out of the charge cable. Flipping the phone on, her finger brushing against the tiny screen, Silver’s eyes adjust to the glow as a single text message was shown.

Hey, S.S.

Silver Spoon’s eyes roll around, shaking her head with a smile. Only one person she’d know would address her as ‘S.S.’.

Hey, D.T.” Silver Spoon texted back.

D.T., the abbreviation for Diamond Tiara, a girl that Silver had known since grade school. Though funny enough, they met during a banquet that both of their parents had attended, and it just so happened that they were the only kids at that entire gala. But ever since then, Diamond Tiara would end up being Silver Spoon’s best friend… Her only friend, as a matter of fact. It took a few seconds before Silver Spoon would receive a quick response.

“Listen, I know it’s late, but I REALLY need to speak to you.”

Silver Spoon frowned at the message, not so much in annoyance but rather concern. Judging by the way the text was written, it sounded urgent.

Is everything all right?” Silver typed, in response.

It’s complicated,” Diamond Tiara wrote. “Can you meet me at the park?

“Can’t we talk over the phone? Or maybe just come over?”

After Silver Spoon sent the message, Diamond Tiara did not respond, at least not right away. The young girl waited, lying on her bed toying with a flap of the book sitting beside her. After a while, Silver Spoon turned to the deskside clock just close by. Three minutes had passed, and Silver Spoon was just about to put the phone away when it buzzed off again, as a new message was revealed.

No, I can’t,” Diamond Tiara replied. “It’s better if we talked outside.

… Alright,” Silver Spoon texted back. “I’ll let you know when I’m there.

“I’ll be there shortly.”

As soon as Silver Spoon put the phone aside, she leaned back against her pillows sighing heavily while glancing toward the ceiling. Something happened with D.T. to not want her to come to her house, but what could it be? They did text each other on occasion, but never at a time like this. Especially not with texts so mysterious, if not a tad suspicious to say the least.

Silver Spoon shot a quick look towards the door to see if it was firmly shut. True, her parents were not home, but a big manor like this was managed by all the butlers and servants keeping the household in order. If they spot Silver Spoon making for the front door at this hour, they were bound to get suspicious and may address their concerns to her parents. That was the last thing Silver Spoon needed; so, an alternative means of escape was in order.

It was then Silver Spoon took noticed of the bedroom window, slightly ajar to allow the cold draft of the night air to enter. An idea came to Silver Spoon’s mind, as she leaned herself down from the bed. She grabbed her coat which hung on a hanger over the door, knowing it was going to be a cold night. She did not get very far when she noticed her scrunchy still sitting by one of the pillows. Additionally, she acknowledged that her hair was still down, as she strained a hand through the strands of her silvery hair.

Diamond Tiara has never seen me with my hair down,” Silver pondered. “Would she be surprised?

Silver Spoon was just about to go up on that offer, as she made for the window…. Only to turn back and grab the scrunchy a few seconds later. She quickly fixes her hair until it resumed that signature twisted braided look.

“Next time…”

Approaching the window, she could see the branches of the tree not too far from the window. Silently adjusting the window open, as subtle-like as Silver could, she made sure there was just enough room for her as she climbed her way out the window and mentally prepared herself to leap toward the nearest branch.

Pushing herself of the window, she was airborne as if she were flying. It didn’t take long before she brushed past the prickly branches as the girl lunged against the bark of the tree. She held on tightly against the bark, waiting cautiously in case it drew any noise. When no one came, Silver Spoon slowly climbed down along the tree’s trunk, paying mind to avoid several branches along the way.

After a lengthy descent, Silver Spoon planted both feet firmly on the ground, glancing through the first-floor window into her father’s study in the living room. This would be where she’d find her father reading in his chair, when he wasn’t busy with paperwork and tax reports. Her father was still out, along with her mother, and in their place one of the servants was absent-mindedly dusting one of her father’s busts. If Silver Spoon would be honest, they wouldn’t mind so much if she were gone for a moment or two, any more than her parents… She hardly ever saw any of them anyway.

<>

Ten minutes had passed, as Silver Spoon trekked along the dimly lit sidewalk. It was still a short way from the park and the night air was getting colder, as a slight breeze brushed against her silver hair. It’s a good thing she remembered to bring a coat or else her parents would kill her if they came home and she caught a cold. But her parents were the last thing on her mind, as she thought about her best friend.

What is going on?” Silver thought, to herself. “I hope nothing bad has happened to her. She’s always been the confident type; she even looks down on those who make fun of her.

It was then as Silver Spoon trudged along; her eyes spotted a single figure leaning by the entrance to the park. As she got closer, cleaning the slight smudge on her glasses for a better look, she could just make out a familiar figure. She recognized the pale, light grayish violet hair with the white streaks, matching the pale magenta skin that shined against the moon. She even saw the yellow jacket with the white fur collar, the jacket matching her boots and the silver skirt that matches the black clothes. Silver Spoon could hardly contain a smile as she got closer and closer…

But then her hopes were dashed away, the moment she turned her light cerulean eyes toward Silver Spoon’s moderate violet… To sadly reveal a back eye, along the right side of her face. The moment Silver Spoon saw that: She froze on sight. Suddenly, all she could do was stare silent at the darkened path as Diamond Tiara shook her head. It was as if she could read her best friend, knowing Silver had many questions.

“Um… Hey, Silver,” Diamond began, nervously.

Silver Spoon didn’t quite answer, but she did response with a wave and a half-smile. But only because she couldn’t stop staring at the spot covering her beautiful eye. Silver Spoon didn’t quite know what to say, as a flurry of questions swirled in her mind. The young girl struggled to maintain her composure, even if she was doing a rather poor job at it.

Could this be why she wanted me to come so late?” Silver asked, to herself.

But knowing that it was still rude not to answer a friend’s greeting, especially her best friend, Silver Spoon reached a shaky arm toward her friend’s face and stumbled to find the right word.

“H-How… What…” Silver began, stumbling.

Just like Silver Spoon, never finding the right words to express what she wanted to say. The sight was just so shocking, she had no idea how to react. But then, she felt a soft contact toward her hand, snapping her back to reality. Diamond Tiara took Silver Spoon’s hand and directed it toward the side of her face, just low enough to not contact the black eye. Fortunately, by the looks of it, the black patch was more swollen and not oozing but still Silver felt sorry.

A drop of water splashed against Silver’s hand, as she noticed a tear drop against her forehand, rolling down to the concrete surface. Silver turned back to Diamond’s eyes and all she could see on her face is… Misery. No matter how hard Diamond Tiara tried to hide it, trying to be the same confident girl Silver has always known from school, her very eyes gave it away as well as the tears that streamed down her face like tiny waterfalls.

“Sorry for, um… Making you come out so late,” Diamond Tiara continued. “I didn’t know who else I could turn to… I realize it’s late, but…”

“Shh…” Silver hushed.

Silver Spoon slowly approached Diamond Tiara, using her other hand to wipe the tears off the one side of her face without the black eye. Even with her other hand below the spot, she was extremely careful not to touch it.

“H-How did… What happened?” Silver asked.

At first, Diamond Tiara did not answer right away. Instead, she simply turned her eyes away from Silver Spoon, turning as if thinking someone was out there watching her. Silver’s gaze sharpened, determined to know what happened.

“Diamond Tiara, we haven’t seen each other in almost a week,” Silver spoke. “You wouldn’t bring me out here without plausible cause. Please, tell me… Why now?”

“I… I…” Diamond Tiara stuttered, avoiding eye contact. “I got into another fight… With my mother…”

Silver Spoon couldn’t help but gasp, even though it would not come as much a surprise. The few times that Silver Spoon ever came to visit Diamond Tiara, like their weekly sleepovers every weekend aside from the last, Silver Spoon practically new Diamond’s parents more than her own. Her father was a decent enough, albeit mostly business savvy and always looking to book the next proposal. As for Diamond’s mother… She was a completely different story.

“Y-Your mother did this to you?!” Silver spoke.

Diamond Tiara opened her uninjured eye, hesitatingly staring toward her one best friend in the world.

“Y-Yeah. It escalated so quickly… At first, we were just talking… Then we started shouting… Next thing I know we’re at each other’s throats. She refused to back down, she screamed, and I screamed. It went on for so long, it was only a matter of who gets hurt… And it happened to be ‘me’.”

Silver Spoon never stopped Diamond Tiara at any point during her story, she wanted all the details as possible. The more Diamond Tiara talked, the more the pain revealed herself upon her face. Suddenly, it was more than just the effects of that black eye… It was like her very soul was in pain.

“To be honest, Silver Spoon, I never imagined it would ever get this far. Mom and I always fight, we’ve barely been on the same page over anything. But never in all my youth, have I seen her so… So… Angry. So much hate… So much spite… I didn’t want to think what she would do if this went on. And my father… My daddy…”

Diamond Tiara turned to run away, until Silver Spoon grabbed her hand, pulling her close. Silver couldn’t bear to see her best friend in such severe pain, the most unbearable sight she had ever seen in all her life. Despite all the times Silver ever visited, she never really knew what went on with her home life, only because Diamond rarely spoke of it until now. But after hearing the story, everything that her family did, especially her mom… Was despicable. The two girls were completely silent, nothing but the sound of brushing leaves blown away by the wind.

“Tell me how it started, Diamond Tiara,” Silver requested. “What happened to make your mother react so terribly?”

Diamond Tiara hesitated for nearly a minute, as she looked around again as if having a bit of paranoia.

“Come with me,” Diamond said, taking her arm.

Clutching Silver’s arm, Diamond Tiara led her best friend into the park. It wasn’t gated, so anyone was welcome to come and go, but they kept cautious in case the groundskeeper was on his evening patrol. They walked through the park in silence, passing all the trees as the nighttime breeze made the branches sway to-and-fro. Diamond Tiara shuddered until she felt ready to talk.

“At first, nothing happened,” Diamond Tiara began, with a defeated huff. “Mom picked me up from school, as usual. We were stopping at the store for a moment, not to buy but mostly window-shopping. The irony is… She asked if I wanted to join her.”

“You mean, you’re mom has never asked you to go shopping with her?” Silver asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Believe me, I was surprised too,” Diamond nodded. “Mom is always busy, being a regular socialite… Or at least, that’s how she tries to be. So, when she asked me to come, and I said ‘sure’, even she seemed surprised I would agree. We never really do things together, the most times she ever speaks to me is whether to point out what I did wrong or point out the wrong posture I have. Still, when we went into that store, she seemed so… Happy.”

Diamond Tiara sniffed on that last word, brushing her face with her coat sleeve. Silver Spoon remained silent, allowing her to continue.

“It felt like forever, but there we were, like every other mother-and-daughter spending quality time together. We would talk while looking at all the items, searching for all the good deals. We didn’t buy anything, but when we laughed together and I saw that one genuine smile, it felt more rewarding than coming home with an expensive piece of jewelry…”

“It was only after we finished, I asked mom if she could drop me off at Dad’s and… Then she had this face… That look on her face. I’ll never forget it. It almost looked as if she thought I didn’t want to be with her anymore, even if that wasn’t true. To this day, I still don’t know what I said to set her off.”

More tears fell from Diamond’s eyes, as Silver Spoon turned to her friend. The whole time she nodded over every word, understanding the circumstance of her situation. At least Diamond’s mother initially invited her to take part in one of her errands, but Silver’s mom… Her parents in general, they barely invited her for anything they ever did. Still, the way Diamond Tiara described her day, it seemed she had it much harder than Silver Spoon, such a tiny little thing for Tiara… But somehow one word turned a molehill into a mountain of problems.

“She did drop me off at dad’s workplace,” Diamond Tiara continued. “But… She just left without even saying goodbye… To me.”

After a while of walking, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon made a stop along one of the many benches along the trail. They take a moment to sit down together, watching the stars gleaming over the lake where the swans and geese would float along during the day. They watched the lake for a while, as if pondering for something else to say.

“Do you know why I asked you to come with me to this park?” Diamond asked, turning to Silver.

Silver Spoon shook her head, as Diamond Tiara chuckled for a bit. As if her mood visibly lifted for a bit, as she turned back to the lake.

“My Dad would always take me here, on his off days when he’s not working,” Diamond explained. “He’d buy us hotdogs from the passing vendor, and we’d sit right here at this very spot. We’d spend the afternoon feeding the passing birds and talking together, so I can share him stories of my day and he’d tell me his. Nothing spectacular, just the usual boring material like the day’s sales and all the customer service horror stories. But somehow, he’d find a way to make them sound entertaining.”

Diamond laughed at that one part, as Silver Spoon shared a smile. All Silver’s father would do is give a casual greeting, gave a pat on her head, and by the time he’s in his study, he was in a completely different world. No casual conversations, no stories, he’d just absorb himself into his own work and that would be the most family bonding Silver had, aside from their silent dinners. Compared to Diamond’s, her family life was very droll.

Diamond Tiara’s expression then shifted just as quickly, reflecting on the story she hoped to avoid.

“Father got the call from mom, I assumed she was asking when we were coming home,” Diamond continued, looking out. “I heard him tell her we’d be home, that she didn’t have to come get me. I missed the next part he said, but judging from his reaction, she must’ve hung up instantly. The thing is: That didn’t bother him, he seemed just happy to be with me as I was being with him.”

That one memory seemed to make Diamond Tiara happy, Silver didn’t push the subject too hard. If anything, she seemed amicable about it. Silver believed Diamond Tiara was lucky to have one parent happy to have her around. Most of the time, Silver’s parents barely knew she was around.

“Did something else happen?” Silver asked, curiously.

Diamond Tiara reluctantly nodded, that smile across her face faded as she realized she was just stalling for time.

“The real reason I wanted to be along with dad was because I had a question…”

Diamond Tiara paused for a moment, turning her head as if making sure that they were truly alone. That no one, not even the groundskeeper, would come by with questions as to why these two were out in the park alone. Once she felt sure the coast was clear, she turned back to Silver Spoon.

“I didn’t know how to say it directly, so… I asked him if he could answer a ‘personal’ question. He didn’t mind, he practically encouraged me to ask him anything… So, I did…”

“What was the question?”

Diamond Tiara kept glancing around, eventually she took a deep breath and turned toward Silver.

“I told him that I hear them arguing more than usual, even when I’m in my room. He wasn’t annoyed when I asked, nor did he show a hint of anger… If anything, he was more dumbfounded. He tells me I’m like mother in some ways, always straight to the point. So, I asked him… ‘Do you still love each other?’.”

Silver Spoon leaned closer, waiting with anticipation. In her mind, she had a rough idea how her father answered that question. But all the same, this was an answer she needed to hear from her best friend’s own words.

“When I asked him, my father told me something I’ll never forget,” Diamond paused, with sorrowful eyes. “’The negativity you feel in your heart is like a train going fast without breaks; if you stay too focused, it can eat away at you’.”

After Diamond Tiara mentioned her father’s answer, she gazed towards the evening skies. The twinkling stars reflected against her eyes, as a shooting star zoomed over the horizon.

“You know, Silver… I try so hard to be positive about it; trying to enjoy the little things in life. Going to the theme park, seeing a movie, eating a new dish, trying different shoes…”

Then Diamond Tiara turned toward Silver Spoon, her eyes glittering with fresh tears.

“I even try to think about all the times I’m with my one special friend in the whole world. That so long as I think about the good parts, the pros outweighs the cons that I never have to think about anything bad in life… But the truth is: I still do…”

“What did you say?” Silver asked, staring into her black eye.

“I asked if we would ever be a family again,” Diamond answered. “He didn’t give me a straight answer; I don’t think that’s a story he’d ever tell me. All he did was look at me in concern and asked ‘me’ if something was wrong. And I… I…”

Diamond Tiara didn’t need to finish, eventually Silver Spoon was able to make the connection. This was more than just her issues with her family, but something infinitely more painful… Her past as a whole.

“Silver Spoon, do you remember how I was back when we were kids?” She asked Silver, rhetorically. “I know we don’t really talk about it, but I know I was a terrible person. Bullying the other kids because I could get away with it, as stupid as that was. A part of me still feels horrible for all I’ve done.”

“My father would never say it, but I know he’s been disappointed in me. A couple days ago, he told me it was okay, we all make mistakes, and I am no exception. That he did his fair share of shady things as well, even to this day… But that never changed the fact I still love my father. He told me that he ‘knew’ I felt bad for how I acted in the past, but he also recognized that I changed… At least, that’s what he wanted me to believe.”

Diamond Tiara sniffed, contemplating her father’s words as Silver Spoon watched her, almost envious. She couldn’t remember the last time she ever shared the same conversation with her father, most days they never talked at all.

“I hated my childhood,” Diamond Tiara said. “But my father would tell me, ‘You should be happy, my jewel, even when all else seems to fail.’ I know my father meant well, but I ended up making a small joke over how our hot dogs had a cheap taste. And he just laughed, even making a joke about mom, and I laughed… That was my dad’s way of helping me not to worry and to be easy on my mom.”

“Does it always work?” Silver asked.

“I want to believe it, for the longest time I did. I know mom’s not the nicest person in town, I know she’s a little… Forceful. Especially when she’s very passionate about her opinions, she’s always been so stubborn. But I wanted to believe, for the longest time, that she was only looking out for me. Just as father said.”

“Diamond, do you believe? About what your father said?”

“… No, I really don’t,” Diamond sighed. “But I believed him anyway because he’s my father, he’s never lead me wrong before…”

“When we finally got home, Dad had a business call and said he needed to go out. I went inside and saw mom working in the kitchen. She head me come in and asked where father was. I told her he had an errand, that he’d be back later. Then she just turned around, acted like she didn’t care. I should have left it right there except…”

“You wanted to know from your mother,” Silver guessed. “You wanted to know if she still loved him?”

Diamond Tiara nodded at that question, as she turned back toward the lake. Silver Spoon had no idea what would happen next, but then she caught that gleam on her face. That was more than enough to indicate a bad sign.

“I thought it was the perfect time to talk,” Diamond went on. “About Dad… About me… Everything. She seemed to be in a good mood this time, even though I was nervous. Still, hoping to hear me out, I asked her about dad, if it were possible if she could be nicer to him, and maybe we can spend a whole day as a family… She didn’t take it kindly.”

“I’ll never forget that… Look, to her. That I said something insulting on a personal level. I tried to change the subject, but it was too late… She demanded a reason. And I only mentioned how I’ve noted all the arguments they’d have, over the smallest things. That she always plays the victim when I… I mentioned if they could just ‘talk’ it out.”

Diamond Tiara rubbed her back eye, wincing over the pain. Silver Spoon could already tell this would not end very well.

“I only tried to convince her that dad deserved to be treated better,” Diamond continued. “Just because he’s not perfect doesn’t make him a monster. That he’s trying to reach out, but she’s the one carrying this heavy grudge. I got so angry when she asked me not to say anymore, but only because she refused to listen to reason… To me! That I was supposed to be the good little girl and do what the grown-ups are told… When I’m not same little girl asking, ‘When’s Daddy coming home?’. I know my dad’s trying to move on, but I felt she wasn’t making the effort to do it. I’ve made mistakes in the past and I worked hard to earn my forgiveness, so why couldn’t my own mother forgive my own father?!”

As Diamond continued her rant, her face wept uncontrollably, no matter how often she wiped with a flimsy sleeve. She wasn’t specific on what her father actually did, but Silver Spoon had heard all the stories. None of them were consistent, it was always one thing and then another. All Silver Spoon knew was that it led to some tension between Diamond’s family.

“Mom always made some excuse, saying I shouldn’t compare myself to him,” Diamond cried. “That I hadn’t done anything so horrid… But she was wrong. I made sure she knew that! I made sure she knew every bad thing I did at school: Cyberbullying, the hazing, even that one time I sabotaged a student who stood in my way. My dad did questionable things, but he had his reasons… I had none of them. I did whatever I wanted, just because… I was horrible! I did it just because I could, to let everyone know they are weaker than me… Below me! I’ve hurt everyone: My classmates, my teachers, my peers, even you… My own best friend!”

Silver Spoon looked down toward the evenly cut lawn of the park. She remembered that day, very well… Election Day. The school held a running for the next Class President and as expected, Diamond Tiara was not the popular candidate. Despite Silver Spoon’s best efforts to help, she remembered what she said that day:

I don’t recall asking you to speak!

Those were the worst seven words Silver Spoon had ever been told, by the one person she thought needed help. Sure enough… Diamond Tiara lost the election and Silver Spoon was so mad, she didn’t speak with her for a whole twenty-four hours. They eventually made up, but while Diamond Tiara had a lot of memories she’d prefer to forget, that was one memory Silver Spoon struggled not to think about. She sat silent, thinking, as Diamond Tiara continued.

“All I ever wanted to do was forget absolutely everything I’ve ever done,” Diamond Tiara muttered. “Even now, the memories still haunt me no matter how many times I’ve tried to rest myself, insisting I was ready to move on with my life. There isn’t one day I don’t wish to take it all back; every time I see mother get worked up, I’m reminded of myself. The worst thing is: Despite everything I did, all of it… She still says I’m special or I’m better off than the others.”

“I never wanted to be told not to feel bad, not from my own mother! I told her, if she didn’t treat dad better, she may as well treat me way worse then even I did to anyone. I said to her, straight to her face, somedays I wish I’ve never been born!”

Silver Spoon could hear a visible strain within her voice, taking a deep breath yet it felt more like a sigh. The second time was a wheeze, like it suddenly became painful to breathe.

“I saw the fire in her eyes,” Diamond Tiara sighed. “I knew I had gone too far. She was beyond infuriated, and then… She took a frying pan… The closet thing she could reach… And she threw it at my face!”

Silver Spoon watched her friend’s eyes glisten once more, clutching the spot on her face where the frying pan hit her… Where now a black eye took its place.

“The last thing I remember, when I ran out of the house, was her screaming, ‘Don’t you dare come again!’. I was so terrified of my mom, I kept running. I had no idea where I wanted to go, but I had to get as far away from her as possible. I just wanted to see someone friendly for once and I couldn’t call my father because I knew that who’s mom would go to first. So… That’s why I just had to call you.”

And right there, the puzzle in Silver Spoon’s mind was complete. The real reason the two girls were sitting together on the bench, barely warm against the chilly breeze. Silver Spoon always had a hunch that Diamond Tiara carried some dark secret, hence why she had this act of being a bully while Silver Spoon was always the tagalong. But now, even though it took so long, the truth was now so clear.

“I just wanted to see a friend,” Diamond Tiara cried. “I-I’m sorry if that was too much…”

“No,” Silver Spoon said, quietly.

And then, Silver Spoon embraced Diamond Tiara, much to her surprise. But then, after a while, her tension softens as she slowly returns the hug to her best friend. It was as if this was the first form of friendly comfort after so long.

“In all the years we’ve been together, I known exactly the kind of person you are,” Silver Spoon spoke. “You stood your ground that something you truly believed in, and while the end results were horrible you did what no child would do: You got your mother to hear you. You have nothing to apologize for; this wasn’t your fault.”

“Silver, I-I-I…” Diamond stuttered, crying. “I can’t handle this anymore! I try to be good for her, all the time, trying to impress her! Every time I make her mad or disappointed in me, her hate for me grows! I was so foolish and naïve, thinking I could do everything to live to her expectations… But I was only hurting myself, every day. The truth is: She hates me because I’m not like her, some greedy jerk who’d never hesitate at the chance to take advantage of somebody!”

The more Diamond Tiara spoke, the watery her eyes became. Only as she spoke, it was not out of sorrow but a growing anger swelling up inside her. Silver could see it in her eyes and the way her fist clenched with all thoughts surrounding her mother’s actions.

“You know, what’s the worst part about it, Silver?”

Silver Spoon silently shook her head, but the truth is she knew what was coming.

“My mother has no remorse for anything she’s ever done, in all her life! I’m her own flesh and blood, and she just brushed me off! She’d happily abide by with everyone else but when it’s me, she just bashed me without a second thought!”

“D-Diamond, stop!” Silver spoke up. “Please…”

Silver Spoon was able to clutch onto Diamond Tiara’s shoulders, as the latter was hyperventilating like she was having a panic attack. Silver holds her down, so they could look each other in the eyes as the shaking slowly fades and her anger simmers. Diamond Tiara’s fists slowly lose their grip, as Silver could feel her begin to relax so she could let go.

“I understand that you would want to spite her,” Silver Spoon began. “I may not know your mother very well, but she sounds like a col-hearted jerk since that split. Least both your parents include you in their problems… My parents hardly ever knew I’m ever around. Even on holidays, they’d be off doing their own thing. It’s been hard for me to love them when all they do is ignore me.”

“I hate my mom for what she did,” Diamond Tiara spoke. “But despite everything… I can’t find it in me to leave her. There’s a part of me that still loves her… She’s family, and family is something I know I can’t throw away. I don’t understand why I still love her, Silver.”

“Because you are her daughter, as I’m still theirs. I suppose the big problem with our parents is that as different as they are, their actions are still the same. They don’t understand how much it hurts, what they do to us. Sometimes… Even I wonder if I’m only a ‘burden’ on my own family, if I’m only around because I am ‘needed’ and not ‘wanted’.”

The two girls went silent after confessing of their own family struggles, neither a means to one up the other but so they both have an understanding. For a while, neither knew how to respond after such a sore subject. Eventually Silver Spoon, her eyes welling with tears, turns toward Diamond Tiara, who slow turns to her as the tears spilt along her tear-stained face.

“I will tell you this, Diamond Tiara,” Silver Spoon said. “She’s wrong; there isn’t a single thing wrong with you. Despite everything you’ve done, especially the ones I’ve followed, you don’t deserve this pain. You don’t deserve to be harassed every waking day of your life, and most importantly, you don’t deserve to be alone. To feel you have no one to turn to, not even your own parents.”

“We may have been terrible girls back then, but… Look at us now. We’ve changed, and I wouldn’t want this any other way. Even if your mother stands against you for the remainder of your days, I just want you to know I’ll always be by your side. Because you’ve always meant so much to me.”

After hearing those words, Diamond Tiara took a deep breath, wiping away the remainder of her tears, as she turned towards Silver Spoon.

“T-Thank you, Silver Spoon,” Diamond Tiara sniffed. “I know I can be a pain, but… It means so much to have you listen. So long as you won’t tell anyone at school.”

“Of course not,” Silver shook. “We’re best friends.”

The two girls sat along that bench, side-by-side, for what felt like ages. As Silver Spoon glanced side to side, it amazed her that in all that time their whole conversation hadn’t drawn a single soul. No wandering eyes, no one hearing of their talk. It was just the two friends on a silent night, if only it would stay like this… Or perhaps it can.

“If you want to, you’re welcome to stay with me tonight,” Silver Spoon beamed. “My parents are not going to be home for the rest of the weekend… Perhaps even longer. You're welcome to stay as long as you want; I just hope you won’t mind having to climb a tree.”

Diamond Tiara grinned at that, as bad as that sounded that paled from the pain she had.

“Actually… I would love to stay with you,” Diamond Tiara smiled.

Nodding approvingly, Silver Spoon finally got up from the bench to leave for the park when she felt Diamond Tiara’s hand clutching hers. She turns around curiously, as Diamond’s grin grew wider.

“There is one thing I do want,” Diamond Tiara said.

Silver Spoon wasn’t sure what Diamond Tiara meant but watched anxiously as her friend reached out toward her face. If Silver Spoon’s thoughts were as she imagined, she wasn’t sure if she was ready for this. But to her surprise, when Diamond reached her arm out, she clutched onto the scrunchy, holding her braided ponytail together… And gently pulled it off, allowing her silver hair to run free. Silver’s cheeks blushed, as she silently looked at Diamond Tiara.

“I always wanted to see how your hair looks without the ponytail,” Diamond Tiara smiled.

“Well… What do you think?” Silver Spoon asked, shyly.

“… You should keep it that way.”

Silver Spoon smiled warmly, as the two held hands together before facing their way to the entrance of the park. Then, the two best friends made their way back to Silver’s house, side-by-side, hand-in-hand. Neither knew how to solve their own problems, both drained after such an emotional night. But they knew one thing was certain: They had each other, be it as friends… Or perhaps something more. The fact that they have one another to turn to, when their families can do nothing for them, that was all that mattered. Whatever happens next, they can endure anything… Because they are the Diamonds in the Rough…

Comments ( 16 )

Aww, how sad

We've always visualized Diamond Tiara and her mother not exactly having the best mother-daughter relationship, if the series is any consolation. But hardly could we imagine when Diamond's family life was so horrid and dysfunctional that her own mother would lash out at her daughter just because apparently the father gets more attention than the mom or gosh knows what. Still, if there is one thing that Diamond Tiara can depend on, even if she doesn't show it, it's when she can appreciate the time spent being with Silver Spoon, even if it's just to spend a quiet night together when they're alone. And in comparison to Diamond Tiara, we hardly know much about Silver Spoon's own family (Only making assumptions based on the numerous fanfics that tackle the subject). Sure, one time we can say Silver has a wonderful mother but next thing we know in this case we have Silver's family who are so busy with their own lives that they hardly notice her while some nights she's left alone with her servants.

In a way, sometimes I wonder how it would be if these two girls were more than just best friends who can vouch each other's frustrations. It wouldn't be a surprise if they became more because quite frankly, pairing these two is as popular as any known ships on the docks of MLP Pairing Harbor.

Ooooooh, now I’m wondering what would’ve happened if I turned my latest story into something more drama-based like that?

Nice work. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

So very sad and heartbreaking.

10318076
10318261
10317996
10318170
I'm glad you guys/girls enjoyed it

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

This deserves to be in the Positive Ponies group. You can remove it if you don't want it there, but it deserves to be in the D'awww folder.

Not so much that she detests her own family, quite the obvious.

Silver Spoon kept her blog short and sleeve,

These words don't make sense.

10324755
Whoops... Seems there was some spelling issues I must've missed.

Silver Spoon kept her blog short and sleeve

Wait, what? "Short and sleeve"? That makes no sense!
The closest phrase I've heard of is "short and sweet".

She opens the drawer by her bedside desk, pulls a single book from inside, and turns to the page marked by a bookmark. With the only light stemming from the bedside lamp and her glasses adjusted, Silver Spoon makes herself more comfortable by removing the scrunchy keeping her ponytail intact, allowing her platinum blonde hair to hang loose and wild.

What's with the sudden tense change? It's now present tense, instead of past tense.
Pro tip: changing tenses is generally something to be avoided; it's often seen as best practice to pick one tense and stick with it throughout the entire story. There's very few exceptions to this; pick either past or present tense, and remain faithful to it.

Silver Spoon practically new Diamond’s parents

*Knew.

As for Diamond’s mother… She was a completely different story

Since "she" is still referring to the first part, instead of being a new topic, the word "she" should not be capitalised.

The closet thing she

*Closest - missed an 's', next to the 't'.

but she sounds like a col-hearted jerk

*Cold.

Least both your parents include you in their problems… My parents hardly ever knew I’m ever around

*At least; and, "hardly ever know".

All in all, I do like this story; the characterisation is on-point, and the plot is believable.
I also like how this is one of the comparatively-few stories that deals with abusive mothers; most of the time, when "domestic abuse" is mentioned or used, the abuser is the father, the husband. Sure, men are often stronger and can do more lasting physical damage, but that's no reason to ignore the many victimised men, to censor news and stories about female abusers. Men are also less likely to reveal abuse, since the social norm for centuries is for men to be "stoic", "unemotional" (compared to women), and being viewed as "weak" if they did reveal vulnerability. There's also practically no shelters for male victims, either.
Anyway...TL;DR - I'm sick of men being the "default" domestic abuser.

So yes, definitely a good story, that needs some polish to make it a great one.

10341719 I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll fix the errors later but so long as the story got across, I'm fine with that:heart:

Hello, a review to your story has been posted in the My Little Reviews & Feedback group. I hope you find it helpful.

10365155 Thank you. I have taken notes of it and will make sure to fix them on a later date.

Just wanna say, the letting her hair down and wondering what Diamond would think then quickly putting it back up anyway, that is such a neat little character-building moment.

Nice story!

10871268 Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it:heart:

Login or register to comment