• Published 3rd Jun 2020
  • 1,845 Views, 83 Comments

The Unofficial Records of a Mare in Black - the7Saviors



My name is Twilight Sparkle, and this is an unofficial record of my experiences serving as an agent of P.O.U.T. Yes, it's against regulation, but buck regulation. I'd rather not fall apart when it counts and the documentation keeps me sane.

  • ...
3
 83
 1,845

1/21/1001

Life has a funny way of turning things around on you when you least expect it.

Here I was worrying myself to death about having to do this mission alone, and now I find myself riding aboard what was supposed to be a private airship provided by the agency with a new tag-along. It was supposed to be just me, the pilot, the co-pilot, and a few crew members. I'm not even entirely sure how it happened, but that turned into me, the pilot, the co-pilot, a few crew members, and probably the most stubborn unicorn I've ever met.

Don't get me wrong, the mare isn't abrasive or anything, just very... insistent. She's also incredibly perceptive and has a certain way with words that not even I can match, and I pride myself on knowing just what to say and when to say it to get what I need—at least when it comes to my job. It's not that I couldn't out-logic the mare, it's more that she somehow managed to make me unsure of whether or not she's actually another agent working in Manehattan.

With the way she spoke, the things she said, it all seemed to imply that she knew exactly why I was in Manehattan and what I was looking for. I know now that wasn't the case and she just so happens to be really, really good at reading ponies and their intentions. At the time though, her terrifying insight convinced me that POUT had sent another agent to help me after all.

So just who is this mysterious unicorn mare who was able to talk her way into joining a POUT agent on their potentially dangerous excursion into the Crystal Mountains?

Her name is Rarity Belle and when this is all over—if we both manage to make it back to civilization—I'm going to ask the boss about her. If she isn't an agent already then I'm going to ask the boss to scout her as a possible POUT agent. Hay, I'd do it myself if I had the authority. I think she has that much potential—far more than I probably did when the boss recruited me all those years ago.

I'm still a bit hesitant about involving a civilian, but after hearing what the mare had to say, and hearing that her talent somehow gave her the ability to magically 'sniff out' precious gemstones, I think she can help me. And besides that, it's not necessarily against protocol to bring her along. Strictly speaking, POUT does give us a bit of leeway in certain circumstances such as this.

So long as I don't divulge mission details and am able to ensure her safety, I can take her with me without having to worry about getting in trouble with the agency. A big part of why this is allowed is because we can just use the reflection deflection spell if a civilian sees something they shouldn't have. Yeah, there are still risks, but when push comes to shove, POUT agents are supposed to do what's necessary to complete the mission successfully.

As for how I met Rarity...

Well, it happened while I was gathering information for my mission in the city. I did some research at the St Germane National Library (the largest font of knowledge in Equestria after the Royal Archives), talked to a few ponies here and there, and—through word-of-mouth—eventually wound up on the doorstep of a seamstress who also worked as a professional lapidarist on her off days.

As you may have guessed, journal, that seamstress just so happened to be Miss Rarity Belle. I asked her a few things, got some... very interesting answers, somehow she was able to work out my intentions to some degree, and before I knew it she was offering to drop everything and join me on my journey.

I don't know, maybe it was me. Maybe I just wasn't careful enough when I was asking for information. Even if I had been the one to make a mistake though, that didn't change the fact that the mare's perception is just... downright eerie. Despite all that, she's actually a pretty pleasant mare (when she's not reverse-interrogating you) and really easy to talk to.

Her practically superequine perception is the biggest reason I want her to join POUT, but that's not all. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, this mare and I just seemed to... I don't know, click I guess. It was the same with Sunset Shimmer and Prism Streak too now that I think about it. Yeah, it took a bit of time to warm up to Sunset but once I did, being her friend just felt... natural, like maybe we'd been friends in a past life or something.

Actually, looking back on the past few months there've been a lot of things that have felt like that—familiar, I mean. I'll see something, hear about something, or meet somepony and something just... falls into place somehow. I can't really explain it but now that I'm thinking about it, the sensation might be worth looking into at some point.

And come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the alicorn me mentioned the name 'Spike' at one point. I didn't really register it back then, but maybe she also had a baby dragon to look after that she called Spike? I don't really want to think about the implications of what she might've gone through if that is the case...

I guess that might also explain why the name 'Spike' felt so right. And now I'm thinking about a million other possibilities and making some unsettling connections and I'm going to just stop myself here before I fall headfirst into a rabbit hole from which there is no escape.

Important mission from the Princess first, potentially crippling existential dilemma later.

In any case, I managed to avoid telling Rarity exactly was my mission was so she's still in the dark about the Red Crystal. I'm fairly sure she does at the very least know that I'm searching for something up in the Crystal Mountains. That makes sense though given the questions I was asking so I only have myself to blame for her knowing that much.

Apparently she was due for a vacation and felt she could find that 'special something' that couldn't be found in the city. That was the reason she gave for deciding to join a mare she only just met on her trip to a frozen tundra far away from society. I did point out just how hasty and asinine her decision was, but she just waved my worries away saying that she could handle herself and that I seemed like a trustworthy sort.

I mean to be fair I'd like to think I am, but she doesn't know that for sure. Besides that, if worst came to worst I might have to do something unsavory. I don't know what it would be, but in this line of work, you never know what you might have to do. Ultimately my attempts to dissuade the mare failed miserably and I got caught up in her own pace. When I say 'her own pace' I mean she was literally heading out the door even before I was ready to go.

By the time I was ready, she was the one leading me to the landing port where the agency's private airship was docked. Mind you, this mare did not look like the type to take a leisurely hike up an icy mountain. If anything her mannerisms and the way she spoke reminded me of those stuffy nobles you see buzzing around the castle like well-dressed fruit flies.

Not to mention the amount of care she puts into her appearance. With her pristine white coat, the lavish curls of her violet mane and tail, and all that makeup, I just can't see it her roughing it in the mountains. But again, she swears up and down that it won't be a problem and to not worry about her.

Having written all this, perhaps you can see why I had my suspicions about her already being an agent of some kind? I'd still believe that if it weren't for the answer she gave when I asked her about her own intentions in joining me.

When I asked about this 'special something' she was looking for she just laughed it off saying it was something she was lacking as both a seamstress and lapidarist. Her excuse for joining me sounded shaky at best, but something about the way she said it and the look in her eyes told me she wasn't just making excuses. There was a weird sort of sadness or melancholy or something behind her polite and playful smile.

Yes, the mare was a natural at reading ponies, but thanks to my training I wasn't exactly a slouch at seeing past a mask either. I wasn't sure what her deal was but her words and expression were definitely giving off some soul-searchy vibes. That was probably another factor in me letting her tag along. Don't ask me why that was a factor, I couldn't tell you. Maybe I just felt bad.

It was almost like she was waiting for an excuse to leave Manehattan behind—like she was expecting somepony to come and tear her away from her mundane existence. She was more than ready and willing to go on an adventure to who knows where with a complete stranger. If that alone isn't a cry for help, then I don't know what is.

Whatever her reasons and however I feel about it, she's here now, and there's no turning back. We've already set off for the Crystal Mountains and to turn around now would only waste more time. I'm still worried about what will happen when we get there, but at the same time, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little glad to have some company.

And with all this written I think I'll stop here. The only reason I was able to jot this all down now was that Rarity was taking a nap. We're supposed to arrive at our destination before nightfall so I let the mare use the guest room, as I wasn't really planning to use it at all during the trip save for maybe a quick shower. She's up now though so I think I'll talk with her some more for a bit.

Maybe I can get her to tell me what's going on behind the scenes. I know there's something she's not telling me and I don't really want those unspoken issues getting in the way of my own work and possibly getting us both killed somehow. Yes, I know this is the pot calling the kettle black but unlike Rarity, I have some idea of what I'm getting myself into.

At least I hope I do...