• Published 5th Jun 2020
  • 1,189 Views, 34 Comments

Twisted history - LordOfMemory



trapped in a new body and in a time period not his own trying to find a way back to his own time and body

  • ...
2
 34
 1,189

chapter 9 Calm before the Storm

Chapter 9

Calm before the storm

Disclaimer: I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic --
the characters and creations are the property rights of Hasbro, Inc.
and the MLP: FiM writers, producers, etc.

Crystal Empire Mid City(Past)
Chrysalis felt a bit overwhelmed as she took in the strangely suffocating feeling of the wide open and ironically cramped mid city of the empire. Ponies were all trotting about in a hurry getting last minute presents or rushing about to meet up with their special some-pony or if you were a noble or a lucky raffle winner from the outer city then you were all gathering to see the recharging of the crystal heart and the princess return. Ducking about to avoid getting caught up in the large crowds and being separated the two apprentices stopped for a moment at a small market place where Chrysalis bought some snacks while Gleaming went about organizing the gifts she had gotten for her family. "Okay so before we get to my parent house I would like to warn you ahead of time that my family can be a little weird. My dad and mom are both teachers at Crystal Prep University for magical excellence with my parents going gaga over magical artifacts and I'm sure they'll try to get you to tell them about what the artifacts that are locked away in the castle. Oh and I should warn you my brother tends to talk before his brain tells him if its something smart to say or not so be prepared for very cheesy pick up lines if he tries to hit on you."

It may have sounded weird to Gleaming but Chrysalis liked the idea of how strange her friends family sounded and acted. She finally had the chance to be apart of something more than just the castle. Just being outside of its walls felt like heaven as she no longer felt the suffocating weight of the negative or dark grey emotions of the ponies that resided inside of the castle. (This is so much fun and the warm golden feelings of the ponies outside of the castle just feels so soothing)

With the crowds having thinned out a bit the two finished their snacks and headed off to Gleaming's filly-hood home. Unbeknownst to the two though was the nearly invisible stream of green magic that flowed into Chrysalis as they left the café they had found refuge in and the ensuing arguments and fights that filled it much to the mortification of the ponies as the fighting had stopped nearly as quickly as it had began and non of the ponies could understand why they had gotten so angry with each other in the first place all that they could really remember before the arguments started was the feeling as if all the positivity had left them and the café.

Gleaming's home
As the two ponies reached their destination Chrysalis could see that Gleaming was getting more nervous. "Don't worry Gleaming I'm sure that they'll love your gifts even if they were a bit last minute." Gleaming just gave her friend a nervous smile as she tried to explain that it wasn't the gift issue that was bothering her while she nocked at the door.

Quickly moving her friend out of the doorway a large balloon filled with paint flew out the door narrowly missing the two mares. Gleaming motioned for Chrysalis to stay down while a look of fury filled her face as she stomped into house yelling at her brother for trying to prank her and then smacking him over the head with a small shield she conjured. "Sorry about that Chrysalis this is my brother Stellar Nova, he is in training to join the guard and likes to set traps even though he knows how dangerous they can be." Nova cringed a bit as Gleaming glared at him as she finished talking.

As Nova began apologizing profusely to a slightly stunned Chrysalis two older ponies came out to see what the commotion was all about. "Oh Nova we did warn you that attempting to prank your sister was a bad idea but I guess nothing is a better teacher than failure. I'm so sorry my dear for the trouble my son has caused you. My name is Hayley Frost and this is my husband Comet Blitz and from this scene I see that you've met our son Nova. Do come in, though I must say I'm surprised that you didn't message ahead that you had a mare friend and that you brought her home with you."

Both Gleaming and Chrysalis froze up turning bright red as they tripped over their own words trying to explain that they were just friends while Nova just laughed at his embarrassed sister and the confused look on his mother face. Finally managing to calm herself down Gleaming explained that Chrysalis was just a friend from the castle and that she had wanted to learn more about the kingdom and that she had just brought her along to meet the family as she and actually forgotten about meeting up this year for the fair and it had been to late to reschedule. "I'm so sorry for forgetting mom, I've just been so busy lately and things kind of just slipped."

Hayley just smiled as she beckoned her daughter and Chrysalis inside just saying it was nice to have everyone home for the fair this year. As this had been the first time in a while that Nova was able to get a free week from the training academy and that she and Blitz had managed to make free time from their classes.

The day slowly dragged on as Chrysalis laughed at baby pictures of Gleaming and Nova while the two siblings died of embarrassment. this was soon followed up by gifts being handed out and lively conversation about how life had been treating the family members of late. Both parents were very proud of Gleaming with how she managed to join the castle on a path to becoming part of the mages council with even Nova looking jealous though he would never admit it. As Chrysalis chatted with her father about magical artifacts and how to better repair damaged ones. Gleaming and Nova were pulled aside by their mother to help in the kitchen to make sure their was enough snacks for when they left to get to the fair grounds for the final parts of the ceremony to watch the princess unleash the built up magic of the crystal heart to bless and protect the empire with its magic.

Gleaming left the kitchen covered in flower after Nova had tripped and dropped a bag on her. Their mother had persuaded her to leave instead of strangling her brother. Chrysalis laughed calling her a ghost pony while her father managed to at least suppress his amusement. The two left to help in the kitchen while Gleaming cleaned herself up.

Looking into the mirror of the bathroom Gleaming giggled a bit when she saw all the flower on her face, as she entered the living room again she saw the happy scene in the kitchen and felt happy at seeing her friend so happy instead of the gloomy mood she had most of the time being stuck in the castle all the time. As happy thoughts and memories filled Gleaming's mind she failed to notice how dim some of her other memories were getting like a slow fog was filling a part of her mind.

"Gleaming we need to hurry up or we'll get caught up in traffic for the recharging of the heart!"

"Coming mom don't worry The flour is almost out of my mane."

rushing out if the bathroom to catch up with everyone Gleaming was confused by her brother as he joked about he hadn't dropped that much flower in her mane. "Now Nova you know how your sister likes to stay neat and hates when you mess with her mane and don't forget she's not the only one that likes to spend hours in front of the mirror making sure she looks her best. Gleaming don't fret over your brother I've spent my fair share of time in front of a mirror and that hour was plenty of time for the snacks to be finished without you and your brother fighting all the time and I'm sure that the stallion your prettying yourself up for will understand if your mane is a little messy he may even like it."

The sly smile on their mother's face as she spoke was creepy for Chrysalis and scary for her husband as Gleaming and Nova grew red from embarrassment hiding behind their father groaning about how their mother was just being weird and embarrassing.

While the group walked and Nova tried to get their father to stop their mother from embarrassing him in front of Gleaming's friend which Comet Blitz seemed to be avoiding rather chatting with Chrysalis about the relics and magic items she worked with in the castle so as not to face the twisted humor and wrath of his wife knowing full well he would lose the battle and possible end up on a very lumpy couch for the night. Gleaming on the other hand was deep in thought as she tried to remember her time in the bathroom yet came up with a blank as she couldn't explain to her self what had kept her so occupied in thought. (I'll just ask master Leonidas considering his mastery of mental magic or one of the other masters to run a telepathic scan when I get back to the castle, I can't risk someone trying to steal castle secrets from me especially if its one of our neighbors or to make sure this isn't some sort of delayed spell Discord placed on me, on second though I should also inform Sombra and have him checked as well if this is that monsters magic at work. We could be walking time bombs so the moment I get back to the castle I'll quarantine myself and make sure that Sombra is isolated as well until we can be sure our minds are safe)

Gleaming was pulled out of her thoughts by their arrival to the fair grounds and her mother pushing everyone along. "Come on everyone the princess will be arriving soon and I've sound the perfect spot for us to watch the charging of the heart.

Slowly the fair grounds began to fill up with ponies and creatures from all over Equus. Looking around Gleaming could even see delegations from other nations like an envoy from southern Equestria, most likely hoping to get their support against Discord now that he had turned his eye towards the north, an ambassador from Zebrica most likely hoping for a trade deal for ice and snow to supply the Zebra desert nation with water and she was pretty sure she saw some Diamond dogs, most likely looking to set up trade for the unique magic infused gems within the empire's mines.

(They're all here most likely hoping to get a better deal, bargain or alliance dealing with the princess rather than the council members that have been ruling in her stead. Hopefully with the princess back these deals can help fix the problems the councilors caused with all their in fighting.)

Silence filled the fair grounds as sense of calm swept over everyone present, crystal started to grow forming a stage and pathway from the castle and a small podium forming as the Crystal Heart was placed upon it. A low harmonic tune was sung by a small choir as the princess came walking towards the heart her magic flowing out spreading serenity as the heard began to charge up as more and more of her magic filled the air. "My people I bring joyous news, The dragons have agreed to terms and are joining us in out battle against the Umbrums! This celebration marks the beginning of the end of this conflict and the future prosperity of our nation and its citizens! My citizens I know that you have struggled and that the empire has struggled in my absence but worry no more I have returned and things will get better! We are strong and our empire is strong, our ancestors who built this proud nation in this unforgiving wasteland of ice and storm after the southerners abandoned these lands and we today who keep this nation alive and prosperous! My people never forget the strength you possess and now I provide my strength to help keep you safe as you in turn help this nation prosper!"

A large burst of magic streamed out of the heart as a massive dome started to form around the inner city of the empire then a second one grew from where first dome met the mid city border with a final third barrier growing and spreading to the edges of the outer city. A feeling of warmth and happiness flooded the empire and a crystal sheen covered all the ponies native to the Crystal empire as the empathic magic of the princess combined with the magic of its citizens and the crystal heart spread its light throughout the empire for all to see as a beacon of hope and stability.

Outer city frozen wastes border
the small group of guards smiled feeling the chill of the wastes leave their bones as a pillar of light managed to break through the constant snow storms visible even to them and providing them strength even so far from the Empire. The guards were soon distracted from the view of the Crystal Hearts power as proximity spells started lighting up and emergency signal beacons were lit from other outposts signaling attack. The short range communicators lit up relaying the same message from relays connecting the outpost, that a massive attacking force was heading for the Crystal Empire, to get a message out to the military to any one to send help to warm them.

Soon nothing could be heard but the sounds of spells being cast of fires and explosions and the breaking of bone and the tearing of flesh and of steel clashing with steel. The soldiers of the outpost knew what needed to be done. The communications officer a pegasus was the fastest flyer among them and while a unicorn could get the message faster the magic would help keep what ever was attacking at bay longer giving the empire a better chance at preparing for attack not to mention the recent charging of the heart had left so much ambient magic in the air of the empire communication spells would be useless for a few days due to all the interference.

The last thing the messenger saw as he flew off was black fire slamming into the base that had been his home for the last few months as his friends charged out spears in hand clashing with skeletal ponies and other creatures. they were holding much like the other outposts but it wouldn't last and he knew this was most likely the last time he would see his friends again. It was all the communications officer could do to keep going as fast as he could as the sound of magical detonations and roars of warriors filled his ears .(May the heart guide you to a peaceful rest to Faust's promised land)

Author's Note:

sorry this update took so long my exams and studies have kept me busy for a while, not to mention writers block is a real pain in my flank and the lockdown combined with family issues has been a real downer and not helping me focus on writing. hope you all enjoy this chapter as I have put some work into it to get it to my liking for release