• Published 1st Jun 2020
  • 755 Views, 6 Comments

The Many Lives of Stygian - _Moonshot



Stygian learns what it means to sacrifice for the greater good.

  • ...
1
 6
 755

To Be Born

“Stygian,” said Starswirl. “You still have it in you, you know.”

Stygian slotted another book into the top row of his bookshelf. Deftly, he climbed down the ladder holding him and turned toward Starswirl. “I’m sorry?”

“The Pony of Shadows,” responded Starswirl. “I don’t know quite how, but a sliver of it remains in you, despite the banishment. I can feel it with my magic.”

Stygian felt his stomach twist a little. “You mean… I-I could still become the Pony of Shadows? Is there some way I could get rid of this… sliver?”

Starswirl sighed. Slowly, he eased himself out of his chair, setting the cup of tea lightly on the nearby table and walking over to Stygian. “I’m afraid I have no answers to either of your questions. But I can send a letter to Celestia and see if she’s got any answers of her own. I’m sure she’d have plenty of time to help, given her retirement.”

Stygian looked down, cautiously rubbing his chest. “I suppose, but—” He flinched as Starswirl reached up and set a gentle hoof on his shoulder.

“Stygian, if this sliver of the Pony of Shadows felt a need to take control of you again, would you let it?” he asked, looking earnestly.

Stygian pressed his lips together and frowned. “I… no. But if the spirit—”

“Then that’s that,” said Starswirl, smiling. He gently patted Stygian twice. “You’re your own pony now. And if there’s anyone who can believe in your strength now, it’s me. As a friend.”

“I… no, you’re right. Thank you.” Stygian smiled back and pulled Starswirl into an embrace. “Thanks for stopping by to visit me today.”


Stygian quickly opened the door and waved at the departing mailpony. In front of him sat a rectangular container covered with opaque cloth, from which odd noises seemed to emanate. There was a letter on top with a royal seal, likely from Celestia. Stygian carefully opened the envelope and withdrew the letter.

Dear Stygian, it read. I heard about your problem from Starswirl, and I’ve enclosed a bit of a gift. Perhaps she could pose as a mentor of sorts. Yours Truly, Celestia.

Stygian furrowed his brows. Well, Celestia was known to be cryptic to her students. He took the somewhat weighty container inside and set it on the table. Then, he removed the cloth and gasped.

It was a bird cage. Philomena, Celestia’s phoenix, perched inside, peering at Stygian intently.

Stygian narrowed his eyes. What in Equestria did Celestia mean by this? Perhaps she had misunderstood his situation. What if it was a deliberate prank? Would Celestia do that? Even with the Pony of Shadows still—

A loud caw broke Stygian from his thoughts. From within her cage, Philomena ruffled her feathers, eyes narrowed as if asking to be let out.

Stygian stared at her for a while, tilting his head. Then he shrugged, unhinging the latch and opening the cage door. Philomena cawed again, but softer, stepping out from the cage and flying onto Stygian’s shoulder.

He exhaled softly, grinning as she tilted her head forward and gave his mane a quick nuzzle. He didn’t know what to do with her now, but he hoped he would in due time. Spirits lifted, he decided to go for a walk.