• Published 27th May 2020
  • 8,624 Views, 535 Comments

A Pup Named Fenrir - MisterEdd



After his death at Ragnarok, Fenrir finds himself reborn in a strange new land and as a pup!

  • ...
13
 535
 8,624

Official Business

The sun was a blinding ball of flames suspended in a cloudless clear-blue sky. The snow that had previously littered the arboreal landscape was now melting into slush, turning the dark soil into a thin layer of mud. I frowned in disbelief, having a hard time wrapping my head around being back in Járnviðr as the forest was usually a frost-bitten world of frigid winds and showers of sleet. Birds warbled their melodies, squirrels leapt from tree to tree, and deer bounded across the newly-liberated fields, no longer confined by the snare that was winter. Life was practically as abundant here as it was in Vanaheim, a prospect that was as jarring as it was wonderful to behold.

Flowers almost instantly sprang out from the ground, shoving their way past the dirt to bloom and bask in the sun's warmth. All around me, flowers such as sheep's sorrel, forget-me-nots, thyme and even mountain avens were blossoming in vast quantities, the abundance of plant life both beautiful and off-putting. I watched the trees sprout fresh new leaves greener than I'd ever seen in the forest. The soggy earth dried quickly and the snow had completely melted away, leaving no trace of the previous climate as the temperate air blew across my face like a hot breath. Just what was happening around here?

At the end of a stretch of grassy hills, I found my mother-Angrboða, not Fluttershy-tossing breadcrumbs to a small flock of assorted birds, including cuckoos, magpies, and sparrows. A heiðlóa landed on her shoulder and chirped out a "dirrinðí," Angrboða replying by caressing its head with her forefinger before it flittered away. As opposed to the thick furs she wore during our last meeting, Angrboða's new attire was considerably more informal, downright scandalous, made up of a close-fitted pleated yellow dress that left her arms and shoulders bare and a red-orange cloak, fastened in place with a golden concave brooch consisting of two inward-facing wolves with polished rubies for eyes. She wore a crown of yew tree branches tied together with golden thread and held a carved rowan-wood staff in one hand. Angrboða smiled warmly at me through her face paint, which now only covered her eyes, temples and top of her cheeks, and was shaped to resemble a butterfly.

"Welcome back, my son."

"Hello again, Mother. What happened to Járnviðr?"

"Beautiful, isn't it?" She beamed with a wave of her hand. "Life has returned to Jotunnheim. The Nine Realms have been reborn, teeming with beasts great and small. Ragnarök was not the end but the beginning, the beginning of a new age of growth and prosperity."

"It's incredible! The forest has never looked more lovely."

Angrboða studied me, turning her head from side to side.

"You look different than how I saw you last. Much happier, more fulfilled."

I nodded. "I am, Mother. The ponies know who I am but they've more or less accepted me!"

"'Ponies'?"

"Yes, the ponies." I wasn't surprised by her confusion. "The land I was reborn in, Equestria, is primarily inhabited by a race of intelligent, talking ponies."

From her thoughtful expression, it was clear that Angrboða was coming to grips with this information.

"Great Ymir, a land of...ponies. And you claim that they have accepted you?"

My grin widened. "Yes, Mother! I have friends, a home!" I excitedly told her. "One of them even adopted me as her son!"

A vein on Angrboða's forehead momentarily twitched.

"Is that so? Well done, Hróðvitnir."

I frowned, unable to understand why she wasn't happy for me.

"Is something the matter?"

Somehow, her marble-white skin turned even paler.

"Have you been feeding the Hunger?"

"Well, yes, but that hasn't done anything. The Hunger has gotten worse and I'm still growing!"

Angrboða's brow furrowed, her golden-brown eyes full of sorrow.

"That is because you've given yourself too much, my son."

"'Too much'? What do you mean?"

"The Hunger isn't just interested in sustenance like meat. It is a living force, one that feeds on all that you crave. Your desire for companionship and happiness are driving it to consume more and more."

"So, what, I should just cut off all ties? Go live in the wilderness alone?"

Angrboða laid her hand on my cheek and sighed softly.

"If it comes to that? Yes. One day, the Hunger will take over and someone's going to get hurt. It's only a matter of time. Leave now while there's still time."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. After everything that I've experienced, all of the pain and healing, laughter and joy, she wanted me to just give all of that up? No, I couldn't. I wouldn't. I'd earned my place in Ponyville, my home and my friends, and I refused to just throw it all away. The Hunger would never control me again and I was going to see to that, even if it killed me.

"No, Mother. That's not an option."

An expression I couldn't identify dominated Angrboða's countenance. Said expression may've been frustration mixed with anger and melancholy. She stepped backward, her eyes peering at me with pity.

"Then you've sealed your fate..."


I rolled over and blinked as the first morning's rays poured in through the circular twin windows on the doghouse roof. Giving myself a good stretch, I kicked off the blanket and noticed that my head was a foot closer to the ceiling. Considering the almost predictable nature of my unique development, I was unperturbed by this fact and exited the doghouse without giving it another thought. My only concern at the moment was the dream I'd just had and, more importantly, the implications of Angrboða's message. That worried me more than anything else.

She wanted me to give up everything and return to a life of loneliness and solitude. No! Never again. This was my life and I was going to have a say in it. No one, not Gullveig, not the Hunger, not even the Norns themselves were going to take whatever peace I'd finally obtained. Angrboða was wrong; the Hunger would not win, nor would I abandon my new home and everyone in it.

I turned my mind towards much happier thoughts, namely what I would be receiving for breakfast.

A wide assortment of animals decorated the lawns of the cottage, a congregation of birds, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, raccoons, deer, bears, and other such critters that visited. My large size and imposing visage did nothing to dissuade the local wildlife from gathering around the cottage, and in fact, went largely unnoticed. Perhaps this was due to them having known me since I was tiny and had become accustomed to my presence, as well as my position as Fluttershy's pet and surrogate son. It was actually nice to have no animals fleeing from a mere glimpse of me and though a small part of my prideful side missed the experience, I ignored the feeling and continued my course. Angel was sitting by the front door, a baby carrot hanging from his lips like a cigar.

"Morning, Fen," Angel mumbled through the carrot.

"Good morning, Angel," I replied merrily. "Is Fluttershy around?"

Almost three days had passed since Fluttershy learned about my true identity and things between her and I were a bit strained. She still treated me kindly and courteously, as was her nature, though it was clear that a degree of unspoken tension was present. We never stayed too long in the same room or area, nor did we exchange much in the way of words, just the usual pleasantries that came from two individuals who lived together. Fluttershy would keep a distance between us and whenever I drew near, she'd tense up and I would then catch the distinct scent of...not exactly fear but something more akin to discomfort.

Though she never said it, I could read her eyes whenever she looked at me, namely at my teeth, especially when she thought I wasn't watching. It was clear from those interactions that she was thinking about the innumerable lives I'd taken, by tooth, paw or flame. She was a mostly gentle, pacifistic type that cared for all life, both sentient and non, so the thought of killing was objectively wrong to her. I understood this but it annoyed me all the same, especially since, as I've brought up previously, those murders were committed in a past life. There was no way that Discord or Princess Luna had never unjustly taken a life, not when one was a chaotic trickster that ruled Equestria and plunged it into a period of untold bedlam and despair, the other a former warrior and would-be conqueror that rebelled against and even tried to kill her own sister.

They'd both been forgiven and were now functioning members of society so when was it my turn?

"Yeah, she's inside making some birdhouses," Angel told me, jerking a paw backwards.

"Thank you."

I entered the cottage with a fair amount of trepidation, my breath coming out in short but loud puffs. Fluttershy was in the center of the living room, humming as she finished painting a newly-built birdhouse. She noticed me and rose to her hooves, setting her paintbrush aside-actually, more like struggling to set it back in the peach jar next to its siblings-and greeted me with a soft smile.

"Good morning, Fen! How did you sleep?"

"Pretty good, Mother."

I still referred to Fluttershy as "Mother" and if she had any reservations, she hid them very well.

"I bought some steaks from a griffon vendor. I'll bring them out in five minutes."

"Thanks, Mother."

Retrieving Frankenstag from its place on the bookshelf, I exited the back door and found a nice spot of grass to lay on. Apparently Twilight lent the book to Fluttershy as a recommended piece of classical literature but it was too scary for her and quit halfway through. I, however, found it to be a fascinating read, the story engaging and the prose expertly crafted. That being said, I found the book's title character and main protagonist, Vicdeer Frankenstag, frustrating to read about as he turned out to be a spineless coward and a buffoon. His creation, however, I strongly identified with and actively rooted for, finding his tale tragic and his moral and philosophical dilemma very thought-provoking.

Why wasn't the Creature the main character?

Anyway, I was nearly finished with the book when Fluttershy brought me a large plate with three succulent raw steaks. Thanking her, I briefly wished that I could eat and read at the same time before I put the book aside and tore through my meal, hoping to get done as soon as possible. Licking my lips and chin clean, I returned to where I'd left off, with a sick Frankenstag finishing relating his tale to a ship's captain. I had hoped the Creature would return to gloat and perhaps there would be some sort of last-minute reconciliation but no, Frankenstag died, is mourned by the captain and the Creature, happening upon his creator's corpse, starts to...mourn him. And then goes into a monologue.

"But soon," he cried with sad and solemn enthusiasm, 'I shall die, and what I now feel be no longer felt. Soon these burning miseries will be extinct. I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly and exult in the agony of the torturing flames. The light of that conflagration will fade away; my ashes will be swept into the sea by the winds. My spirit will sleep in peace, or if it thinks, it will not surely think thus. Farewell."

He sprang from the cabin window as he said this, upon the ice raft which lay close to the vessel. He was soon borne away by the waves and lost in darkness and distance.

I sat there dumbfounded, unable to believe that the story ended like that. This buck, this Frankenstag, carelessly brings something dead back to life and promptly rejects it, leaving it alone to make its own way in the world, subjecting it to an existence of loneliness. Yet when the Creature logically relates his woes and reminds Frankenstag to take responsibility by making him a wife, Frankenstag, knowing full-well what the Creature is capable of, goes back on his deal and upsets the rage-filled, revenge-driven monster. He inadvertently becomes responsible for the death of his father, little brother, new wife and best friend and it isn't until all of those deaths that he decides to finally do something. And yet, he gets to die in the company of a new friend and ensures his story perseveres while the Creature goes off to kill itself, dying alone and unloved in a remote part of the world.

"Hey Mother? I'm going to Twilight's to return Frankenstag!"

Fluttershy poked her out of the window.

"Okay. Have fun!"

I strapped on some spare saddlebags Big Mac lent me and made my way to Twilight's castle, which was apparently actually known as the "Castle of Friendship," though I refused to designate it as such. Instead, I decreed that the structure be known as "Twilight Hall," which despite having a much better ring to it, no one else appreciated the idea and quickly vetoed it. Hel, even Pinkie's enthusiastic suggestion of "Sparkleopolis" was more dignified. Now that I thought about it, did Princess Celestia and Luna's castle even have a name? Or what of the fourth Princess Cadence's?

Twilight had since made Ponyville's citizens aware of my sentience while thankfully excluding anything involving my past. As a result, ponies stopped to greet me as I walked by, many of whom had heard of the incident with the chimera and applauded me for my heroism. I was unaccustomed to being celebrated for good deeds so I took their good wishes with a polite albeit uncomfortable smile. By this point, my face had healed and my fur grew back just as fluffy as ever, almost as though my subsequent injuries and three-day coma hadn't happened. My miraculous recovery opened up new questions, such as whether or not any future injuries would heal as fast or if I was immortal.

"Hi Fen!" The flower mares-Roseluck, Daisy and Lily-greeted me.

I liked them; they always smelled nice.

"Morning ladies," I greeted in return.

"Good morning," a stallion in a bow tie saluted, several rolled up blueprints in one foreleg.

That was Time Turner, the town inventor, a curious fellow who, if rumors were to be believed, took Derpy on crazy adventures in a magic blue box. Wouldn't be the craziest thing I've ever heard. Passing the town square, I ran face-to-face into a certain mint-green unicorn.

"Hey Fen, how's it going?"

"Fine, Lyra. Just fine," I mumbled through my teeth.

Every town or village has its own whack-job and at first, I thought that Time Turner filled that role but no, it was Lyra Heartstrings who took that particular mantle. At her college, she was the only one who applied for and graduated Anthropology, a class that studied the characteristics of humans, which had become extinct over six thousand years ago. When I off-handedly mentioned seeing humans to Pinkie, Lyra began following me around, asking questions about their hands, culture, and mating habits. I once even caught her outside my dog house, having spent over an hour waiting for me to come home. Honestly, this mare needs to get a hobby or something.

"See any humans lately?!" Lyra asked a little too loudly.

"No but I'll let you know if I do."

Not likely, loony-bird.

I made it to Twilight Hall and knocked, Spike dutifully answering the door.

"Oh, hey Fen. What's...up?"

"I came to return a borrowed book," I grinned at him, trying to keep as little as my teeth from showing. After all, I didn't want to freak the little guy out.

"Right this way."

I followed Spike through the crystalline hallways, our walk dominated by silence. That is, until:

"I guess it's nice to be able to talk, huh?"

"It has its usefulness," I replied casually. "Back in Asgard, I didn't really have anyone to talk to but now that I do, I'm not quite sure what to say."

Spike nodded sympathetically. "Yeah, I've been there. Being a dragon in a land of ponies can be lonely."

"Well, you're pretty great in my book."

Even though he didn't say anything, Spike's wide grin told me everything I needed to know.

The library was unchanged since my last visit, save for the books zipping around the room, flying towards different bookshelves. Twilight was reading from a list while levitating different texts from a cart, magically sending each one to their proper destination. I threw Spike a questioning look.

"She does this every Tuesday," he remarked with a shrug.

Setting the weirdness of the act aside, I cleared my throat and Twilight peered up from her list, the books freezing in mid-air before collapsing into a series of neat piles.

"Fen, h-hi! How can I help you?"

"I have a book to return."

Working the snap fastener with a paw, I opened one saddle bag to reveal a blue book spine. A raspberry glow appeared around it and it flew over to land in front of Twilight's face.

"Frankenstag! I remember loaning this to Fluttershy but she never did finish it. What did you think?"

I made a sour face of disapproval.

"It started off great but then devolved into mediocrity, especially the ending."

"You didn't like it? It's flawless from beginning to end!"

"'Flawless'? Marey Spelley created a dynamic, three-dimensional character in the Creature but focuses the story on that gutless wretch Vicdeer Frankenstag."

One of Twilight's eyes twitched ever-so-slightly. Meanwhile, Spike began slowly backing up and squeezed himself underneath the nearest table. He hugged his knees, as though bracing himself for an oncoming storm.

"Hey, Vicdeer Frankenstag is a rich, albeit flawed and tragic figure! He allowed his own ego and hubris to destroy everything and everyone around him. He had everything but lost it due to his indecisiveness and inability to take accountability for his actions until it was too late."

I scoffed at this. "Please, Frankenstag was an overly-dramatic, entitled ponce, blinded by the possibilities of what he could do instead of what he should do. As a result, he crafted an angel with a demonic face and immediately shunned him."

Twilight jabbed a hoof at me. "Hey, that was a perfectly reasonable response, which is why it works as it could and probably would happen to anypony. And the Creature was no angel. He took innocent lives, some of which were just committed out of spite!"

"Of course he did! After Frankenstag abandoned him, the Creature sought to find someone else who would accept him and when that failed, he had nothing left but pain and a rational desire to get back at his creator. I, for one, rooted for the Creature!"

A wave of calmness washed over Twilight, something obviously clicking in her brain. Sitting down on her haunches, she held her hoof out frog up.

"Continue."

I blinked at this in confusion but proceeded.

"The Creature didn't ask to be born; he was brought to life by means outside his control and promptly rejected by his father, forced to live on his own and figure out this strange new world by himself. Everywhere he went, he was feared and despised because of his appearance and the fear of what he was capable of rather than anything he did. He was the only one of his kind, a lonely and miserable being that could've been truly benevolent, perhaps even beautiful, if someone just treated him with compassion instead of hatred and cruelty."

Twilight remained oddly quiet, a stark contrast to the passionate mare from a minute ago. She continued to stare at me, as though seeing me for the first time and studying me intensely with her violet gaze.

"That's quite an astute observation. So you're upset because you felt that the Creature was unjustly cheated of a happy ending?"

"I...well, yes. Both Frankenstag and Spelley could've eased his sorrow but in the end, he was the true tragedy of the story. He was called a monster when he was really a victim."

"He was, wasn't he? He just needed a guiding hoof to show him how to cope with his emotions, to let him know that he was okay and nurture his gifts instead of punishing him for his nature."

Somehow, I got the feeling that she wasn't talking about the Creature.

"Right...anyway, yes, the book started out promising but I can't recommend it."

Twilight stood up, Frankenstag held within her aura.

"Let's put this away and see if there's anything else we can find."

Sliding the book into its proper place, she began pulling over novels from the cart with her magic and sorting through them, hoping to find the right fit.

"The Hunchback of Notre Mare...no, that won't do. The Phantom of the Corral...nope. The Stallion Who Laughs...ha ha, definitely not."

"What about a book about a wolf?" I suggested, to which Twilight almost immediately floated a small tome in front of me.

"There you go: White Fang by Jog Lopedon. The main character is a dog-wolf mix. It's really a great read and it has a happy ending."

"Thanks, Twilight."

I placed it into my saddlebag, elated that such a tale even existed.

"It's good to finally meet you in the flesh."

Standing but a few feet away was Princess Luna herself. She looked exactly as she did in my dreams: dark blue coat, long mane of scintillating stars, teal-colored eyes full of compassion and sorrow. Unlike Princess Celestia, I felt more at ease in Luna's presence, as I was more familiar with her, plus she aided me with my nightmares. Twilight and I both bowed, though mine was deeper and lasted longer, a sign of respect to the younger co-monarch.

"Princess Luna! It's so good to see you. But where's Princess Celestia?"

"Yes, Tia was called away on business, something about handling a border dispute in Maretania. Thus, she asked me to come in her stead and conduct business with you."

"Right, of course! Fen, is this okay with you?"

"As long as Celestia isn't here," I retorted with a bit of an edge to my voice.

Princess Luna raised a brow. "I take it you don't approve of my sister."

"She's kind of a bitch."

"Fen!"

Twilight looked aghast at my blunt use of profanity. Princess Luna, however, while disapproving of my comment, held a kind of comprehension in her eyes. She cleared her throat.

"Yes, well, my sister's always been one for theatrics, even more so than I. She desires control in all things, including first meetings. Tia prefers using psychology when dealing with potential threats to the realm."

"I don't approve of what Princess Celestia did," Twilight conceded. "However, she was doing it in the name of her kingdom and insulting her isn't making you look better."

I wanted to tell Twilight to take her nose out of Princess Celestia's fat ass...but I figured that I was in enough trouble as it is. She wasn't being cruel, merely correcting my admittedly rude behavior in front of a guest, who also happened to be the second highest-ranking pony in Equestria. Besides, any further slandering of her sister might cause Princess Luna to forgo the pleasantries and shove her hind hoof up a place where the sun didn't shine. So for now, I kept my mouth shut. I figured I owed it to both of them.

"I heard about the chains," Princess Luna said softly. "I'm sorry; I didn't know she'd resort to that. I'm actually surprised you managed to handle yourself like you did."

"It wasn't easy. Truth be told, I wanted to bite her horn right off."

"So why didn't you?"

It sounded more like Princess Luna already knew the answer but wanted to hear what I had to say.

"Because if I did, I'd just be proving her right."

"And that, Fenrir," Princess Luna smiled, placing a hoof on my shoulder. "Is why I had faith in you."

Withdrawing her hoof, Princess Luna summoned a scroll from out of nowhere and unfurled it, which turned out to be a map of Equestria. She pointed at some red circles around the part marked "Ponyville."

"The only areas Fen is allowed to visit outside the confines of Ponyville are White Tail Woods, the Everfree Forest, Ghastly Gorge and Saddle Lake. Anywhere else is prohibited, even with your blessing, Twilight Sparkle. This is Celestia's official royal decree."

"I understand, Princess Luna," Twilight agreed hesitantly, giving me an apologetic look.

She charged up her horn and fired a raspberry-colored ray at my left hind paw, surrounding it in a cube-shaped energy construct made up of tiny glowing sigils. Soon, the cube dissipated though I could still feel its presence. I glared at Twilight.

"What was that?"

"It's a tracking spell," Twilight explained shakily. "It'll let me know if you go anywhere you're not supposed to."

Oh brilliant. Absolutely terrific!

"For the safety of Equestria and its citizens," Princess Luna announced. "You are also to continue studying Fenrir's magical capabilities and to train him to harness his power."

"Right, I was planning on doing that but first I wanted him to fully recover."

Princess Luna acknowledged this with a small nod.

"Very well then. Should you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact either I or my sister."

She then turned towards me. "It was good to officially meet you, Fenrir."

"It was good to meet you as well, Princess Luna."

Giving both of us a bow, Princess Luna strode past Spike, who had since climbed out from under his hiding place, and gave him a tender head pat before making her exit.

"You've really got to work on your social skills," Spike commented.

"I'd already spent one lifetime watching what I had to say," I retorted unapologetically. "I will not make that same mistake twice. Besides, it is the bold, not the meek, who hold dominion over all."

"Nevertheless," Twilight admonished. "You can't just say whatever you want whenever you want. After all, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

"True, but you kill more rats with poison than with mousetraps."

Twilight sighed, rubbing her face. "Whatever. Since you're here, we should get started on your magic training. Perhaps that way we can get this Hunger-thing under control."

Taking a stance, she puffed out her chest and unfolded her wings.

"Now, I want you to unleash your magic."

"I don't know how to do that."

"Dig deep inside of yourself. What makes the Hunger come out?"

I thought about that for a moment. I'd always believed that the Hunger's visits were random, coming and going like an annoying relative who refused to take a hint. Usually it came when I needed to satisfy my baser instincts but the more I thought about it, the more I came to realize that it wasn't random at all. I was reminded of my battle against the Chimera, how the Hunger's dark magic arrived to aid me in my hour of need, and how much easier it was to bend it to my will. My emotions...that was the key!

"Anger, blood lust...when the CMCs needed me, I suppose a sense of protectiveness."

"That's good! Focus on that, mold it but don't force it. It's like paddling a canoe down a river."

Twilight began breathing in and out so I followed her example. In...and out. I closed my eyes, shutting out the world around me, all of its sights and smells until only I remained. In...and out...in...out...

I was hunting that buck in the forest, my heart racing with excitement as I managed to catch him.

In...out...

I was in the Everfree, bleeding and poisoned when I heard Apple Bloom call for me, my blood turning to ice as the chimera readied its claws for a killing blow, an inner fire being lit inside of my soul.

In...out...

I was crushing the chimera's goat-head underneath my paw, filling me with cruel satisfaction.

My fur was standing on end, a warm prickling feeling traveling along my limbs, followed by a tumultuous breeze that rolled over my body in little bursts of chilling air. Strangely, I was completely devoid of any kind of furious appetite or stabbing pain, only a sort of euphoric bliss I'd never experienced before. My muscles automatically expanded and contracted as an electric surge pulsed through them, forcing them to fidget and vibrate as new life was breathed into them. I reopened my eyes, discovering that same green and black aura burning around me and I let out a shout of exaltation. The red staves that usually accompanied it were absent, not that I minded.

"Very good, Fen!" Twilight applauded. "Now focus on an object and reach out to it."

I searched around for something to target and found a book on the cart a few feet away. It was a small but thick hardcover bearing the title of The Count of Mountie Cresto, a pair of gilded crossed swords and some balanced scales visible on the outward-facing spine. Stretching out my foreleg, I pointed at the book and fixated on it, pouring all of my concentration on the book. A green, black-edged similar to my own but considerably more transparent, flickered around it. Shutting out everything else, I trained my eyes in the novel, picturing it flying across the room and into my paw.

The more I concentrated, the stronger the aura became, turning from a lucid lime into a deep viridian. I began huffing in excitement, the image of the levitating book becoming more and more clearer in my head. Before I knew it, the magical barrier around the book once more adopted a pale translucent green before disappearing altogether. Discouraged, I dropped my foreleg and my shoulders sank, my own aura fading as well. I don't know what I did wrong but I failed spectacularly.

"It...it didn't work," I panted, the effort more draining than I thought it'd be.

"Don't feel bad, Fen," Twilight said softly, giving me a supportive smile. "Nopony gets it right on the first try."

"Yeah, she's right!" Spike added, giving my back a good scratch. "You'll get it next time."

It was disheartening to be sure, but it felt nice to have friends to cheer me up and offer me advice. I gave it a few more tries but nothing happened, not even a wiggle. Twilight believed that I would succeed, assuring me that even the most gifted unicorns like Starswirl the Bearded and Clover the Clever struggled with telekinesis in the beginning. The fact that I was even able to conjure my aura on command was an excellent sign and that basic psychokinetic magic was not far behind. My determination renewed, I vowed to master the levitation spell and fill the library with flying tomes.

Would Twilight find that upsetting or endearing? You make the call!

That mail-mare Derpy arrived and after giving me a somewhat passable head-pat, gave me a note from Applejack asking me to assist her in some farm work. Well, who was I to turn down a request from a friend in need? I bid both Spike and Twilight farewell, though before I left, Twilight placed that Mountie Cresto book into my saddlebag, insisting that it was a classic of Prench literature and one that I would love. It was apparently about a wrongfully-convicted stallion who escapes his prison and gets revenge on those that wronged him. Heh, I could relate.

Arriving at Sweet Apple Acres, I set my saddlebags down on the main house's porch, being sure to greet the ancient mare that sat in a nearby rocking chair. She gave me a warm, toothless grin.

"Hey there, Fen. How goes it?"

"Very well, Granny Smith. How are you feeling?"

"Well, th' arthritis in mah knees is actin' up, mah neck is sore, mah back feels like th' dance floor a' uh square dance, an' Ah ain't known th' touch o' uh stallion goin' nigh on, oh...fifteen years."

She nodded, as if to confirm all this to herself. "All in all...not too shabby, Ah tell ya what."

"I'm glad to hear that."

I really wasn't.

"Applejack's in th' orchard. Mighty appreciative o' yer help, big fella."

"It's no trouble, Mrs. Smith."

It actually wasn't.

The old mare nodded again, her head rattling slightly atop her neck.

"Heh, 'Mrs. Smith,' he says. Fer savin' mah granddaughter, yah've won th' right t' call me, 'Granny.'"

"Thank you, Granny. I'll talk to you later."

Granny Smith waved me off, rambling (mostly to herself) about how I reminded her of a dog she had as a filly. Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the two of us were nothing alike.

I soon came across Applejack in the aforementioned orchard, raising both hind legs and using them to strike a tree trunk. The kick was strong enough to knock several apples loose, which then tumbled down into a large basket that'd been situated beneath the tree. Huh, so instead of going up and picking the apples one at a time, ponies in this world actually force the apples out with carefully-placed kicks. Well, it was certainly one way to go. Strange yes, but it made sense given how ponies' hooves lacked the dexterity of hands.

"Howdy, Fen! Glad yah could make it," Applejack greeted mirthfully.

"Hello Applejack. So, what was it you needed help with?"

"Ah'm glad yah asked. Ah'm gonna teach yah th' ways o' apple-buckin'."

"'Apple-bucking'?"

"Apple-buckin,' yes."

She showed me a tree with a particularly thick trunk and tapped it with a hoof.

"Now wha' yah wanna do is lift yer legs, or use one if yer more comfortable wi' tha,' an' give it a good kick."

I eyed the tree, then turned to Applejack, who gave me an encouraging wave of her hooves. Turning around, I raised my right hind leg, took aim and after a moment's hesitation, released it. There was a thud-crack, my paw actually hitting hard enough to puncture the tree trunk and sending nearly every single apple in it plummeting to the ground. Wincing at the display, I found Applejack gawking, first at me, then the tree. I really hoped that I didn't mess things up for her.

"Mah word...tha' was incredible! Huh, yah almost got every single one...an' on yer first try!"

Whew, dodged an arrow there.

Adopting a confident smirk, Applejack pointed at another tree nearby, this one even larger than the other.

"Go buck that one there."

Obeying, I repeated the same action, only this time shaking the tree so hard that it became completely bare.

"Fen, Ah do believe this is th' start o' uh beautiful friendship..."

Author's Note:

Pronunciation Guide:

Dirrinðí (der-rin-thi): Plover's call
Heiðlóa (hayth-low-ah): A small wading bird known as a European golden plover, which is said to signal the arrival of spring
Ymir (ee-meer): Frost giant and primordial being who was slain by Odin and his brothers Vili and Ve, his remains used to create Midgard (Earth)