• Published 27th May 2020
  • 8,620 Views, 535 Comments

A Pup Named Fenrir - MisterEdd



After his death at Ragnarok, Fenrir finds himself reborn in a strange new land and as a pup!

  • ...
13
 535
 8,620

My Life, Death...And Rebirth?

Hello, my name is Fenrir but chances are you've never heard of me.

A pity.

I am the eldest child of Loki, the Crafty One, and the giantess Angrboða. You've no doubt heard of my father, along with Odin and Thor, the three making up the "trifecta" of our culture. It's fair that Father would be widely known but One Eye and Red Beard? How is it that out of all of the gods and beasts that inhabit the Nine Realms, only these three are the names that are known? There is no justice, is there? You only have to ask my siblings and they'll tell you the same thing.

After me, there came my brother Jörmungandr, the legendary Midgard Serpent, a snake so large that he encompasses the earth in his coils. I am, or rather was, very big myself and even I tremble at the thought of such a beast. Lastly, there is Hel, who now reigns over the land of the dead as the goddess of death. She is perhaps the most unfortunate of the three of us in terms of looks, one half of her face that of a young but sullen maiden and the other a corpse's, meaning that she is not quite "normal" but close enough if she covered herself up. Sure, she gets her own realm but it's an endless wasteland of ice, snow and the shambling souls of the dead for company.

Then again, at least she has company.

Lyngvi was a small island of wide-open fields and clean air. It was a pity that I was held in place with a magic unbreakable ribbon, otherwise I could've gotten to enjoy it! You don't take a literal wolf, plant him in an area of grasslands and don't give him the chance to run around. Sometimes I used to think that the Æsir hated me the most out of the three of us. Jörmungandr is at home in the sea and Hel becomes the goddess of death, a figure feared by mortals and gods alike.

But nothing for me.

I'm just a cur.

It all began before I was even born. A silly prophecy foretold the birth of my siblings and I, that the three of us would be instrumental in bringing forth Ragnarök, the dreaded end of the world. When I was a pup, the gods arrived for us and snatched us away from our mother. I never saw her again. We were monsters but Mother loved us anyway.

You'd think that with our existence as eventual harbingers of destruction that they would've disposed of us but apparently they considered themselves so high and mighty that they wouldn't defile the ground with our blood. What idiots. Odin took Jörmungandr, who was only the size of a cat at the time, and flung him into the ocean, where he thrived and continued to grow in the deep depths of the sea. Hel, as previously mentioned, was later given domain over Helheim, ruling over a froze-bitten landscape on a throne of ice. As for me, in a move that continues to baffle me to this day, they took me to Asgard and kept me as a kind of pet, an insult in my opinion.

You might argue that I got the best deal of the three of us but I was essentially being housed by the very beings who I was destined to battle and who in turn would lead to my demise. Every day was a constant fear that they might crush my head beneath a boot-heel or toss me to some trolls for dinner. I had no friends; all creatures were afraid to be near me so I spent much time in solitude. Only Tyr, god of war, was brave enough to feed me and sometimes even would pet me. Some of you might be tearing up at this point but he only did it because he had more of a spine than his fellow Asgardians and could claim victory at the next flyting for performing an action no other dared to do.

With every day that passed and every meal that I consumed, I started to notice that I was growing at an alarming rate. Within the span of a month, I went from being small enough to be held in one hand to standing nearly at shoulder height as the average man. At two months, I was larger than an ox and in a year, I could peek over the tallest trees in Asgard. The gods took notice of this and decided to take action, crafting a fetter called Leyding and appealed to my ego to try it on. It snapped with a single kick and I couldn't help but let loose a snort at this.

A second fetter, known as Dromi, was forged, this one larger and twice as strong as Leyding. Again, they goaded me by challenging my strength and need to prove myself. All I had to do was shake it off and then kick it, shattering it to pieces. I actually laughed aloud at this, much to the chagrin of those in attendance. For the first time, I really felt as mighty as I looked and why not?

A short time later, the Æsir took me on a trip to the island of Lyngvi. I was suspicious, of course, seeing as how they never bothered to even be in the same space as me but I was so eager to enjoy the grass and air that I threw caution to the wind. They let me run around before leading me to the center of the island, where they showed me a silken ribbon called Gleipnir, which had been created by dwarves out of six supposedly impossible things: the breath of a fish, the sounds of a cat's footsteps, the beard of a woman, the roots of a mountain, the sinews of a bear and the spittle of a bird. Despite its thinness, the gods claimed that it was stronger than it appeared and passed it amongst themselves, each one failing to rend it. They once again suggested that I was strong enough to break it and asked to secure me in place with it.

I sniffed at the ribbon and glared at them. How dare they insult my intelligence?! I was a wolf in appearance but I was far from being one of the simple-minded dogs that roamed the forests of Midgard. With a smirk, I told them that I didn't trust them and a bargain was struck: I would allow them to secure me with the ribbon and if it broke, I would go free but only if one of them was bold enough to place their right hand in my mouth as a sign of goodwill. Only Tyr was brave enough to agree and placed his sword-hand into my maw as the ribbon was tied in place.

I pulled and to my dismay, the ribbon held. I shook, kicked and howled but no matter how hard I struggled, Gleipnir refused to budge. Furious, I snapped my jaws to grit my teeth when I bit Tyr's hand clean off. Although everyone says that I did it out of spite, the truth is that it was an unfortunate, split-second mistake on my end. I respected Tyr, for he was the only one who wasn't afraid of me but now I crippled him and gave the others more reason to hate me.

For years, centuries even, I was trapped there, secured to a great stone slab anchored in place to a massive boulder, unable to run or hunt. Every now and then I'd get lucky, snacking on a deer or bird that got too close but that wasn't enough to sate my enormous appetite. Anger stewed within, bubbling and brewing like molten magma. Oh how I hated Gleipnir, hated the gods and their stupid prophecy. By binding me, didn't they just ensure that the prophecy came true?

I bet your mind is blown right about now.

Anyway, Ragnarök eventually came to pass. Prior to imprisonment, I had met a most enchanting she-wolf and sired two sons, Sköll and Hati, who eventually grew massive enough to swallow the sun and moon respectively, cloaking the land in darkness. Jörmungandr shook the earth so violently with his thrashing coils that earthquakes and tidal waves shocked the whole of Midgard. One such impact crumpled the boulder and stone slab, thus freeing me. The first thing that I did was aim my head at the sky and release the longest, loudest howl that I could. I wanted everything living and dead to know that my imprisonment had ended and that I was out for revenge.

Charging across the realms, I devoured anyone unfortunate to get in my way, fire erupting from my eyes and nostrils that scorched the fleeing peons while smoke from my jaws choked the rest. I joined Jormungandr at Vigrid, a field of grassland stretching a hundred leagues in every direction and serving as the final battle between us and the gods. Mere words alone can't describe the scope of the conflict. Fire giants with fiery weapons and frost giants wielding cudgels of ice battling Thor and his sons while the other Æsir and Vanir fought their way through hordes of undead raiders from Helheim. The fury of such a battle literally shook the earth we fought on, bringing further ruination upon the realm and it was glorious.

Across the field, I espied my foe, a bearded old man in golden armor astride an eight-legged horse. A growl tore from my lips, a booming war cry challenging my fated enemy. All around me, every combatant froze in place, shrinking as I boldly strode forward, Gleipnir dragging along the ground like a noose. Both the living and dead gave me a wide berth and I'm not ashamed to admit that I reveled in their fear. There was one, however, who dared to meet my gaze, my eyes locking with the single burning orb he possessed as he raised his spear above his head to point at me.

The Allfather. The Hooded One. Wanderer. Sleep Bringer. Wayfinder.

Odin.

"Face me, you overgrown mongrel!" He roared.

I smirked, "As you wish, Allfather!"

Without a second thought, I raced towards him, the ground beneath my paws booming.

"Your blood will flow down my throat like wine!"

The horse, Sleipnir, my half-brother, likewise galloped towards me at full speed, his rider releasing a yell as he charged towards me. This was what I lived for: the earth shaking with every step, my heart stabbing my breast, the wind in my fur, the blood boiling in my veins. I was a wolf and wolves were hunters, fighters and conquerors. Destiny stated that Odin would meet his end at my jaws and I welcomed it. True, destiny also said that I would die afterwards but as long as I took the Allfather with me, I knew that my feat would echo throughout the ages of the new world.

Like a bolt of gray lightning, Sleipnir leapt into the air, Odin roaring as he thrust his spear Gungnir at my face. Turning my head at the last second, the spear's point grazed my cheek which, if I'm being honest, actually hurt. The pain, however, was the furthest thing from my mind. My jaws yanked Odin from his saddle and I slammed them shut, the sounds of bones snapping and popping in my mouth as sweet, sweet blood flowed onto my tongue. Ooooh, the taste was ineffable, a tangy smoothness that glided down my throat.

Somewhere, a masculine voice shouted "Noooo!" and the skies became black with dark gray storm clouds. Thunder pierced the stillness, bolts of lightning racing through the darkness. With the spectacle concluded, the armies resumed their battle, steel clashing against steel, fire burning across the field as chucks of icy flesh rained down like hail. I watched as Freyr, the god of male fertility, was impaled through the chest with Surtr's flaming brand, the fire giant grinning while the god shrieked, his flesh sizzling and burning. It was a tad regrettable; although I didn't necessarily like Frey, he never did anything to antagonize me so I didn't hate him like I did the others.

Surveying the piling up bodies of the dead or dying, I felt an icicle of sorrow stab into my heart. Right next to a dead warg that I recognized as Hel's pet Garmr, I spotted the crumpled body of Tyr laid in an X shape with his sword's hilt still in his left hand, an odd expression of peace on his haggard face. It's difficult to say what exactly I felt at that moment. Here was a man that aided in taking me away from my mother and ensured my imprisonment for centuries on a deserted island. Yet he also fed me and kept the occasional taunting fool away.

I'm not sure what emotion could encapsulate how I viewed the dead warrior but I do know that he and I had a bond of sorts. I did not hate or fear him and he did not hate or fear me. There was no love there, barely even affection between us but since we did not hate each other, perhaps that was something. I wanted death and destruction and although I'd heard that Tyr would meet his end on Ragnarok, I had no idea how I'd react to his demise once I'd seen it with my own eyes. We did not hate one another and that was enough for me. I briefly bowed my head in respect and moved on.

A crack loud enough to be heard for miles rang in my ears and upon turning my gaze upon its source, I froze in disbelief. With a single swing of his hammer, Thor had smashed Jörmungandr's skull and after swaying a few times, he tumbled backward, crushing a frost giant and splitting the ground beneath his bulk. The Thunder God raised his hammer above his head as I took in the sight of his slain opponent. He was dead. The Midgard Serpent, my brother, was dead.

My own vengeance had been forgotten, replaced by a new score in need of being settled.

I bared my teeth and prepared to advance on him when a tall, grim-faced young man stepped in front of me, a pair of leather boots with thick soles on his feet. It was Vidar, a son of the late Odin, one whom I'd never heard utter even a single word. No matter. Once he was dead, Thor would be mine. Still, I had to give the boy credit, he was certainly braver than most men.

In a fraction of a second, we'd charged towards one another. Just as the lad hurdled towards me with his sword raised, my jaws sprang open, ready to repeat the action that I'd used on his father. Once I felt him enter my mouth, I brought my teeth together only to find that my jaws wouldn't shut. I squeezed but they remained propped open. Puzzled, I then realized that Vidar was actually standing in my mouth, his thick boots pressing down on my bottom jaw while he used a hand to press up on my upper jaw.

A new emotion entered my mind, one that I hadn't felt in ages.

Terror.

Pressure built in my mandible as Vidar began shoving my jaws further and further apart. No matter how hard I bit down, I couldn't crush him. I swung my head side to side hoping to dislodge him, only for the Asgardian to stubbornly remain rooted where he was. I panicked, leaping around, shaking violently but it was no use. My jaws shook and a loud whine broke through my mouth as they audibly snapped, leaving my mouth uselessly hanging open.

I could taste something metal hovering above my tongue before it began to work its way down my throat. A great pain seized my heart and it was then that I realized Vidar had stabbed me. A bitter, coppery taste filled my mouth and seeped over my bottom lip and down my neck. I collapsed onto my side, hitting the ground hard enough to create a crack in the earth. I was dying and despite my previous assumptions, killing Odin hadn't overcome my fear of death, instead serving to heighten it.

Tears welled up in my eyes and I was startled to discover that I, Fenrir, the Devourer, was terrified of dying. I would never hunt again nor feel the sun on my fur. Mother, Father, Jörmungandr, Hel, all gone. Something entered my field of vision. It was Vidar, staring down at me. I expected anger or joy but instead what I saw was a look of...pity?

Tentatively, the young god crouched down and his hand glided across my bottom jaw. Had I energy or strength, I would have shied away from his touch. As the darkness took me further and further into its embrace, I heard Vidar speak the first and last words that I would ever hear from him:

"Go to sleep."

I obeyed.

~*~

Crickets...I could hear crickets...

A bird warbled in the distance, followed by the shriek of an unknown animal.

A moan left my mouth and I shifted around, feeling leaves and twigs digging into my back. Slowly, I opened my eyes. It was the sun, its rays peeking through the trees. Smacking my lips, I worked my jaw, finding that it wasn't broken. I rolled onto my side and, after some stumbling, managed to situate myself onto my paws.

I was in a forest of some kind, though not one that I recognized. The trees were massive, their bark a dark black-brown color. I sniffed the air, detecting the odd scent of the wood, of critters and birds that my nose couldn't place. The trees didn't match any in Asgard and the ones in Vanaheim were more slender with wispy leaves. The foliage here was...warped. I may not have had my father's skill with sorcery but I could detect traces of foul magic at work.

I pawed at the dirt, finding it clumpy and thick. I took a whiff at it and snorted, wishing to rid my sinuses of the atrocious odor of burnt roots and rotting flesh. Svartalfheim was out; the soil there was more ashy and sand-like. I looked up. Judging by the position of the sun, it was still early in the afternoon, meaning that it would be nighttime if this were Midgard.

So where was I?

A nearby pool of water caught my eye and I suddenly felt very thirsty. Tentatively, I made my way over to the surprisingly sparkling pond only to jump back at the sight of the pup staring back at me. I leaned forward and bit at the air, the pup in the water's surface doing the same. My dark coal-black fur was replaced with a light gray-white streaked one with bits of brown and a curious ring of black fur around my throat like a collar. In place of red, light grayish-blue eyes stared right back at me.

I was still a wolf only now replaced with a nonthreatening, almost innocent-looking pup!

"What sorcery is this?" I wondered out loud, my voice soft and high-pitched.

My stomach rumbled. Funny, considering that it was just full from consuming the flesh of hundreds of men, women and children. Oh don't judge me! Would you condemn a hawk for eating a rabbit kit? I peered around, not spotting any signs of life. Then again, based on the sense of dread running down my spine, it would probably be in my best interest if I didn't eat any of the local wildlife.

I sniffed the air, finding a pleasing, spicy aroma wafting from the east. Detecting the additional smells of carrots and barley, I surmised that someone was making stew and the thought had my mouth watering. For whatever reason, I was reduced to a much, much smaller and more vulnerable size but perhaps I could use this to my advantage? I grinned at this. Whatever world this was, chances were that there were denizens that wouldn't dare let a poor, hungry pup starve.

Cautiously, I followed the aroma further and further away from the dark of the forest, coming into a much more aesthetically-pleasing area full of normal-looking trees and bushes. I sniffed at one tree trunk and again didn't recognize the scent. It was entirely plausible that I wound up on another world, just not one that I was familiar with. Shoving the thought aside, I continued my trek, eager to find shelter and sustenance. The tingle along my spine from the effects of the forest's dark magic lessened but didn't vanish, leading me to believe the whole area was cursed.

Brushing past some tall grass, I found a small wooden hut. Yes, the smell was definitely coming from there. The closer that I got to it, the stronger the smell got, so much so that I could almost taste it. Strange masks hung outside the hut but I paid them no mind, imagining them to be a part of the local culture. I heard voices inside, three to precise and all belonging to females. I began to scratch at the door, letting out a pathetic whine for good measure.

The door creaked open and I sat up on my haunches, paws up and my tail wagging as I played the cute little doggy. What I found waiting for me was unexpected, resembling a tiny horse, except its snout was much too short and its eyes freakishly large. Its coat was blue and its mane and tail were both multi-hued, like the Bifrost. Most shocking of all, however, were the feathery wings folded up on its back. It stared down at me curiously.

"What the...? Hey, there's a puppy out here!" It-she-called behind her.

"I'm not a puppy but I'll forgive you if you feed me!" I chirped.

The winged horse just stared at me. Couldn't she understand what I was saying?

"Hey Fluttershy! The puppy's barking now! Could you-...?"

The horse was shoved aside as a new winged horse entered the doorway. Unlike her friend, this one was yellow with a long pink tail and mane, giving her an oddly feminine look. It then gasped, but I didn't see or hear any fear-

"Oh hello there! Where did you come from?" She said softly, her voice soothing as she stared at me with maternal affection. Oddly, I'd never seen another female look at me like that since I last saw my mother.

"I don't know but the other winged horse couldn't hear me and I'm hungry!"

"Oh you want some food?"

This surprised me. Why was it that one horse could understand me and the other couldn't? I jumped slightly when the yellow horse scooped me up with her forelegs and held me on one shoulder. Wow, I was even smaller than I thought!

The blue horse rubbed her head. "Geez Flutters, take it easy."

"Sorry Rainbow Dash. You said, 'Puppy' so I had to see him. Actually..." The yellow horse-Fluttershy-held me out in front of her. "This is a wolf pup. Funny, I didn't know that there were any out here that weren't Timberwolves."

"Dear Fluttershy, I don't believe it's so. If there were, then I would know," a new voice intoned in a strange accent. The speaker was...well, the oddest horse I'd ever seen and I just found two that could talk and had wings. This one was white and covered in black stripes-or was it black and covered in white stripes? Anyway, she had golden bands around her neck and two large hoops in her ears.

"As for wolves made of flesh not pine, around the Everfree you will never find."

Does she have to speak in rhyming couplets?

Rainbow Dash scooped something out of a bubbling cauldron with a wooden ladle.

"That's weird but I've heard weirder." She slurped at the stew and smacked her lips. "Nicely done, Zecora. I'd say this is your best recipe yet!"

Zecora chuckled. "So glad to hear you enjoy my stew. Hearing praise is nice, especially when it comes from a friend like you."

Apparently she does.

Fluttershy meanwhile continued to look me over. Her eyes were...kind, gentle even.

"Where did you come from?"

I decided to settle on the truth...while omitting certain facts.

"I don't know how I got here. I awoke deep in the forest."

I followed this up by licking her cheeks, an experience that oddly wasn't as disgusting as I thought it would be. This drew melodic giggles from the horse that made me want to hear more of them.

"You are too cute! Do you have a name, little fella?"

"Fen," I said, getting the feeling that my full name wasn't going to sound good coming out of my mouth.

"Well hello Fen," Fluttershy cooed and pressed me against her chest. Her coat was so warm and she carried with her the smell of spring rain and berries. Her heart gently beat into my ear, its rhythm soothing. I let out a whimper and cuddled into her embrace. Bah, what was I becoming?!

After a healthy helping of Zecora's stew, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash decided that it was time to head home, so they bid their friend goodbye. I trotted alongside the two mares, struggling to keep up with them due to my new tiny limbs. Apparently, the world I was in was called "Equestria" and populated all over by these "ponies." The wing horses, or "pegasi," were just one of the three tribes: pegasi, unicorns and earth ponies. I explained that I had been raised in seclusion (which was true) and didn't know anything about these ponies.

Their striped friend, a "zebra," was also from a faraway land so there weren't many zebras around these parts. Her rhyming was apparently something that her species did and I bit my lip to avoid remarking how irritating I found it. She did make good stew so I would have to put up with her annoying quirk. We arrived at a small cottage in a clearing and I was suddenly reminded of Lyngvi. I searched around for any signs of an ambush but shrugged and followed the mares up to the cottage door.

The cottage was surrounded by squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, birds and even a bear. Apparently understanding the languages of beasts was an ability unique to Fluttershy, a gift that she used to help sick or injured animals. So she could communicate with animals and make companions out of them. Was she some sort of pony seidkonur?

"It's getting kind of late and a cloud is calling my name," Rainbow Dash yawned. "I'll catch you later, Flutters." She then roughly stroked my head in a half-assed attempt at a pet. "See you later, Fen."

Don't bite...don't bite....

Mercifully, she quit and, spreading her wings, swooped into the air. I'd only ever seen Sleipnir move that fast and the mare made him look like a slug in comparison. Based on Fluttershy's non-reaction, it was a pretty safe bet that her speed was a factor of normalcy around here.

"Bye Rainbow Dash!"

Fluttershy then opened the door and gestured for me to enter. Based on my past experience, would you blame me for my hesitation?

"It's okay, Fen. Go right in," Fluttershy said in her usual soft, dulcet tone.

Slowly, I plodded inside. The cottage's interior was much like its inhabitant: unassuming, cozy and warm, filling me with a sense of peace and security. Huh, so that's what that felt like. I sniffed around, picking up on a hundred different scents, all of them belonging to small animals-rodents mostly-or bigger tree dwellers like raccoons, squirrels and chipmunks. The strongest smell, however, unmistakably belonged to a rabbit. Mmm, rabbit.

A pair of hooves gently hoisted me into the air, snatching me away from my carnivorous reverie.

"Come on, little guy. It's bath time!"

I may have struggled as Fluttershy carried me upstairs, my limbs thrashing around and a series of pathetic whines booming from my mouth. I hate bathing. Back on Asgard, it consisted of being doused with buckets of ice-cold water and assaulted with sharply-bristled brushes. Suffice it to say, I was not keen on experiencing such a process again. I will not, I repeat, not now or ever enjoy baths.

It's official...I love baths.

Once I'd tired myself out from struggling, Fluttershy patiently shepherded me to a room with a large white tub and locked the door behind her. Oh, that crafty witch! Not only did I lack the necessary reach or dexterity to reach the knob but I was also too weak to simply smash through it. Well played. Filling the tub with water, she carefully placed me into it, my whole body locking up in preparation of the freezing water.

To my immediate shock, the water was warm. I sighed, actually panting and allowing myself to relax. Okay, the water was soothing but there still came the issue of the actual washing! Fluttershy squeezed out a glob of some green stuff and lathered my fur with it, the sensation admittedly pleasurable, aided by the strange concoction's sweet smell of lilies and pine. Was...was I wagging my tail? I was ashamed but the feel of those hooves on me overrode my sense of disgrace.

To make matters worse, the foul mare began to hum, her ethereal voice bewitching me, causing my eyelids to be weighed down by invisible stones. A layer of bubbles clung to me and for some ungodly reason, I blew at the soapy suds, taking satisfaction in seeing them scatter across the room and into oblivion. Fluttershy giggled, scooping up a pile of suds and blowing them, creating a million bubbles that contained many little wolf pups stupidly grinning back at me. What in the name of Freya's golden locks was going on with me?

After another washing, Fluttershy released the stopper in the tub and tenderly dried me off with a towel, leaving me slightly damp but feeling refreshed and smelling amazing. I shook myself to further perpetuate my fur's drying time, covering the mare in a thin layer of water. She merely laughed at this and pulled me into her embrace. I buried my head into the fluff of her chest and sighed, breathing in her musk. It was as though I were a pup again, wrapped up in my mother's loving arms.

I wanted to scream, cry and gnash my teeth at Fluttershy all at the same time but I did none of those things. Instead, I let out a squeaky yawn, exhausted beyond all reason from today's strange events. I barely noticed Fluttershy carrying me to her bed and laying me at its foot, my small form curling up on the soft covers. A fleece blanket was placed over me and a pair of lips pecked my forehead. I smiled dreamily at this, feeling sleep overtake me

"Good night, Fen," my new owner whispered.

Perhaps living as a talking winged horse's pet wouldn't be so bad after all.

Author's Note:

Pronunciation Guide:

Æsir (eye-seer): Norse gods associated with war and sovereignty
Angrboða (on-grr-bo-tha): Fenrir's mother
Asgard (ahs-gard): Home of the Æsir
Dromi (dro-mee): Fetter
Fenrir (fen-rear): Giant wolf
Flyting (fly-ting): Contest of insults
Freyr (fray-err): God of fertility
Freya (fray-yuh): Frey's sister and goddess of love
Garmr (Garm-rr): Hel's pet wolf
Gleipnir (glayp-near): Magic ribbon
Hati (hat-tee): Son of Fenrir
Helheim (hell-hyme): Realm of the dead, particularly those that die of disease or old age
Jörmungandr (your-moon-gon-der): Fenrir's brother
Leyding (lay-ding): Fetter
Lyngvi (leeng-vee): Island
Ragnarök (rag-nar-rock): "Twilight of the Gods;" destruction of everything
Seidknonur (sayth-co-nirr): Female magic-user
Sköll (skole; rhymes with "hole"): Son of Fenrir
Sleipnir (slayp-near): Odin's eight-legged horse
Surtr (sert-trr): King of the Fire Giants
Svartalfheim (svart-alf-hyme): Home of the Dark Elves
Tyr (teer): God of justice and warriors
Vidar (vee-ther): Son of Odin
Vigrid (vee-grid): Great field
Warg (war-g): Giant wolf