• Published 22nd May 2020
  • 301 Views, 7 Comments

The Voices of Day and Night - gimmick68



Celestia and Luna are having trouble bonding. They decide to hold a competition with hopes of rekindling sisterly love. They gather their teams and engage in a spectacle for the ages.

  • ...
1
 7
 301

Battle: Part II

As the smoke in the crater cleared Tree Hugger was joined by Cheerilee, who had managed to escape the rolling pin-wielding Cup Cake.

“What happ – oh!” She looked solemnly at Fleur. “Poor girl. Is she…okay?”

“Just resting,” soothed Tree Hugger. “She’ll be alright. Celestia is seeing that her efforts will not be in vain.” She nodded in the direction of Celestia, who was in the air dodging exploding objects and lasers while firing lasers in return. It looked like Rarity and Luna had joined Granny.

“We should help,” conducted Cheerilee, and she ran to join her teammate.

“Indeed,” agreed Tree Hugger, following the teacher.

As they approached Celestia they searched for the assailants. Unfortunately, Celestia’s attacks had produced such a cloud of dust that Tree hugger and Cheerilee couldn’t see at whom she was firing. Thinking quickly, Cheerilee called Celestia down to them. Celestia set up a shield around them and they discussed their next move.

“What’s the next move?” asked Cheerilee.

“I think” – Celestia was interrupted by a few explosions against her shield – “we need to separate them again.”

“Yes. I can handle Granny,” offered the teacher.

“Hold up, dude,” said Tree Hugger. “The elder one had focused herself on me. She’s already frustrated with me. I think I can use that.”

“Very well,” agreed Celestia. “I can handle Luna. And assist with any other problems.”

Another round of explosions rocked the shield. “That leaves Cup Cake and Rarity for me,” accepted Cheerilee.

“For us,” corrected Tree Hugger. “Luna seems to concentrate on Celestia, so we won’t have much trouble with her. And Granny is fightin’ all upset-like. Too wild to last long, ya feel me? I can help with the others.”

“I love this!” Celestia cheered. “Sisters, we are down one but that means we fight harder. They haven’t seen the worst of us yet. Not even close!”

“I am with you,” confirmed Cheerilee.

“Normally I’d resist your violent nature,” stated Tree Hugger, “but I find my desire to help my sisters overwhelming any morals I possess. I feel it in my soul.”

“Let’s do this!” cried Celestia, as even more explosions rattled against the shield.

“What about this?” asked Cheerilee, pointing to the smoke rising from above them.

“Leave that to me.” Celestia’s horn lit up and the shield crystalized. A thousand lights glowed within the shield and with a little extra effort Celestia made each light as bright as the sun. On the other side the ponies that had been lobbing confectionaries and lasers were assailed by a violent display of light and they covered theirs eyes. Luna flew away. Celestia dropped the shield and bolted to the sky. Cheerilee and Tree Hugger left the crater and made for cover across the courtyard in a pile of rubble.

As the light dissipated Cup Cake, who had just joined her teammates, and Granny looked up to see nothing where their targets had been. They cautiously left their foxhole and wandered over to the crater. They found Fleur in there but nopony else.

“Is she…dead?” asked Cup Cake, gently prodding the mare.

“Don’t think so,” replied Granny. “I’ve seen dead. This ain’t what dead looks like.”

Cup Cake eyed Granny with trepidation and suspicion. She shook off the statement. “Then I guess she’s knocked out. And out of the game.”

“Mmm, I’m guessin’ yer right, what with the light above her n’ all.”

Cup Cake looked up to see the glowing white orb above Fleur. “Oh. So where are the others?”

“Escaped, ya nincompoop!” She slapped Cup Cake with a purse.

Luna landed about twenty yards away, still rubbing her eyes, and began surveying the scene. “They up ‘n left,” summed Granny to Luna, growling in annoyance.

“So, they’ve lost one and now retreated,” Luna said smugly, arrogantly scratching her chin.

“What now?” asked Rarity, stepping next to Luna. “Do we take a break to plan our next…”

“NO!” barked Granny.

“Nay,” agreed Luna. “We are simply – OOF!”

From the sky Celestia dropped in with a purpose. She landed in the middle of all four mares and through a barrage of kicks and punches quickly dispatched them. She launched backward and did a long, drawn-out backward somersault before landing on the far side of the courtyard. She stood there huffing as Cheerilee and Tree Hugger stepped next to her. She turned to them. With a nod she said, “Good luck, my sisters,” and ran off to engage Luna.

“YOU!” roared Granny from across the courtyard, straightening her helmet and pointing aggressively at Tree Hugger.

“Ah, it seems the elder has taken notice,” Tree Hugger stated calmly.

“After you,” Cheerilee said lightly.

Tree Hugger smiled brightly at Granny and called out a warm greeting, which only enraged the old mare even further. With a wink, Tree Hugger high-tailed it out of the courtyard. Granny chased after her, completely ignoring Cheerilee, who quickly followed the Apple matriarch. Rarity saw the chase begin and immediately joined, shooting lasers at Cheerilee. Cup Cake, slow to shake off the hit from Celestia, and was about to enter the chase when she again was hit by Celestia, a kick sending her crashing across the ground.

Luna tackled Celestia from behind, pinning her while she yelled to Cup Cake to follow the others. Cup Cake ran off as quickly as possible. Celestia rolled over and elbowed her sister in the side a few times. Luna begrudgingly let go and Celestia jumped up and took off. Luna coughed and heaved a few times before she chased after.


Through the streets and alleyways of Canterlot five mares pursued, caught and fought. A wall demolished here, a flower cart tossed there – the early morning darkness could not conceal the extravagant destruction wrought by these ponies. The hours of fighting had brought the citizens of Canterlot out of bed and into the streets to see what was going on. Those poor souls. While most of the early fighting had been confined to the castle grounds and its immediate vicinity, it was now spilling into the streets. Gossip quickly turned to firsthoof accounts as Rarity, Cheerilee, Granny, Tree Hugger, and Cup Cake pummeled, smashed, and zapped their way through the fanciest neighborhoods and shopping districts. Bystanders were quickly thrown into the middle of an epic battle; some were even thrown. The mares split up, Cheerilee taking on Rarity and Cup Cake, Tree Hugger fighting Granny.

Cheerilee was mostly on the defensive the entire time. Two on one is poor odds in any situation but this was worse. At nearly every turn the teacher was getting bucked or zapped. That’s not to say she didn’t land a few blows of her own but for the most part she was losing the battle. Tree Hugger fared a bit better. As she expected, Granny was a bit uninhibited by her aggravation with the hippie. She purposely led Granny on, riling her up and attacking when the old mare was too frustrated to defend properly. Unlike her teammate, Tree Hugger was winning her battle.

After hours of blasting, hiding, punching, chasing and bucking, the mares remarkedly met up again in the lobby of a theater. By the time the five mares left there wasn’t much of a lobby to speak of. With two other opponents focusing on her, Tree Hugger could no longer use Granny’s temper against her and she and Cheerilee had to retreat. They ran quickly through the streets, turning frequently so as not to allow for a straight shot. The chase finally ended in an alleyway that stopped at the mountainside.

“Gotcha now, ya hooligans,” Granny smirked through gritted teeth.

“Yes, darlings,” Rarity agreed, catching her breath, “it was an extraneous exercise but I do believe this is where we dispatch of you!” She growled maliciously.

Cheerilee and Tree Hugger backed up until their tails bumped against the mountain. High walls of buildings on either side of them prevented any escape. Granny, Rarity, and Cup Cake slowly advanced down the alley toward their cornered prey. The sun peaked over the horizon and illuminated the mountainside.

“What do you think, Tree Hugger?” asked Cheerilee. “Do you think they’ve got us?”

“My sister, as thus my soul has not been captured, neither have I. I believe…Well, it doesn’t matter. In this moment I am one with my surroundings. One with the cobblestones at my hooves, the brick walls at my sides, my beautiful sister next to me…” Her voice was soft and breezy, as though even a zephyr could whisk it away. “I am even one with gnarled gnomes that stand before me.” That statement elicited some scoffs and rancor from the opposing mares. “But mostly, right now, I am one with the wind. Whoooooosh.” She sang the last bit and a gust of wind lifted her upwards.

“Bye!” waved Cheerilee mockingly. A tentacle of Tree Hugger’s mane grabbed Cheerilee around the midsection and lifted her as well. About a hundred yards up the mountainside the wind finally abated and let the two mares land on the rocks. They immediately began climbing.

“ARRRGH! After them!” barked Granny. Cup Cake and Rarity started forward. “Wait!” They stopped. “You go,” she ordered to Cup Cake. “You, just a sec,” she eyed Rarity. Cup Cake shrugged to Rarity and started to climb the mountain. Rarity waited while Granny trotted over to a pile of something covered by a large tarp. She tore off the tarp to reveal a small wagon laden with two casks. She bucked the casks off and pulled the wagon over to Rarity.

“What are we – MMPH!” Before Rarity could finish her thought Granny threw the harness and bridle on her. “Granny, what?”

“Get me up that mountain, prissy pants!” commanded Granny. Climbing aboard she snapped the reins. “Now git!”

Rarity tried to scoff in indignation but instead let out a very unladylike horse squeal as the reins slapped against her flank. She took off in a bolt, leaped out of the alleyway and started scrambling up the rocks. She found the going easier than she expected, especially since she was towing a dilapidated wagon, in which rode a dilapidated pony. For some perverse reason she found the task exhilarating. However, she didn’t care so much for the constant ordering and nagging from Granny.

“Get a move on, slacker! We got ‘em on the run! Prove ya unicorns ain’t just a bunch of dainties!”

A surge of rage built in Rarity and she picked up the pace until she was no longer climbing but instead actually running up the boulders. The old mare in the wagon was being severely jostled and was holding on for dear life.

About two hundred yards up their rapid ascent, Cheerilee stopped to look down. She saw Cup Cake about a hundred or so yards down the mountain and beyond that something kicking up a cloud of dust and rocks. Squinting, she could make out Rarity charging with a head full of steam, and she looked to be towing something. As she got closer Cheerilee could make out the load she was towing. It was an impressive feat, to say the least, and it certainly made Cheerilee reassess the strength and toughness of Rarity. Seeing that the other team was quickly gaining, she decided to get moving again and hurried to catch up to Tree Hugger.

“C’mon, young’un!” Granny hollered. “We’re gainin’ on ‘em!” She snapped the reins again.

“Ow!” cried Rarity but she ran even faster. She was soon nearly caught up with Cup Cake. As they approached the climbing baker Granny called out.

“Grab hold!” She stretched out her hoof and caught the outstretched hoof of Cup Cake, pulling her into the cart. “Now let’s get ‘em!”

Although the load was now heavier it didn’t seem to slow Rarity. She still tore up the mountain like her life depended on it.

Cheerilee and Tree Hugger scrambled up the rocky terrain with haste. As they went they kicked and threw rocks and boulders down on their pursuers. Rarity produced a shield that blocked all of it. Eventually, they found a small outcropping and scurried over the edge and into a conveniently placed cave. They took a moment to catch their breath before Cheerilee spoke.

“Damn! We haven’t split them up. Thought that’d get at least one of them.”

“We will.” Tree Hugger smiled and winked.

The hippie explained her plan. Cheerilee nodded and they went to separate parts of the cave, finding the deepest shadows to hide in. For a few moments the only sound they heard was the cold howling wind. Then Rarity quickly bounded onto the outcrop, the wagon in tow. The unicorn was running on adrenaline and anger and it was difficult to tell if her heavy breathing was from the effort she just put in or a reaction to Granny’s berating and having rocks thrown on her. Either way, she was raging.

Granny unbuckled Rarity from the harness and bridle and gave her a quick pat on the head and offered her some oats, which Rarity scarfed down. The three mares stepped cautiously into the cave. Nothing moved, save for the wind.

Whooooo gooooes theeere?” came a voice from deep within the cave, echoing off the walls.

“Ya ain’t foolin’ me again!” called Granny.

Yooooouu suuuuure?” It was difficult to say whether it was Tree Hugger’s voice or Cheerilee’s. It sounded a bit like a mix of the two.

“Keep yer eyes up, girls,” warned Granny. “Tricksters these two.”

Immediately Cup Cake was grabbed around the midsection by tentacle dreadlocks and flung fast and far from the cave. Her scream faded as she fell through open air over a half mile down to the city.

Rarity quickly put up a shield around herself and Granny. Just as she did few stalactites dropped down, crashing on the shield. Then the whole ceiling seemed to give way, burying the two. Rarity struggled to keep the shield up. Eventually, the shield gave out and the weight of the rocks fell on them.

Cheerilee and Tree Hugger made a break for it, running out of the cave and along the edge of the outcropping until it turned into a trail barely wide enough for one pony. They moved gingerly and quickly as they rounded a corner. Tree Hugger, being behind Cheerilee, looked back. She didn’t see anypony behind them but she did see something else.

“Yo, dude,” she called. “Hold up.”

Cheerilee stopped and looked to where Tree Hugger was pointing. It was a vertical crevasse in the rock, just deep enough to hide both of them. And more importantly, it was facing away from the direction of the other team. They quickly hid inside.

Back at the cave, a few solid bucks opened a hole in the pile of rocks. Granny pulled Rarity out from under the rocks. “They gone this way,” she stated, motioning towards the trail. Granny went first, moving at a determined speed. Rarity, still brushing off some rubble, followed closely.

Cheerilee shushed Tree Hugger, who’d been humming as she meditated. The plan was simple: let Granny and Rarity go by and then buck them off the mountain, hopefully sending them to join Cup Cake. Simple.


Meanwhile, not too far way, Celestia and Luna were having another bout in the sky, this time through a cloud bank. Twirling, barrel-rolling, diving – all were done in and out of the clouds. After a steep dive they were on their way back up when they were briefly interrupted by Cup Cake, who was on her way down. They both stopped, watched the mare descend for a bit, and looked at each other and shrugged before fighting again. It was a savage back and forth. For a moment Celestia lost sight of her sister in a cloud, only to be struck from above. Shaking off the hit, she knew she had to regain control. Her horn lit up and brilliantly flashed. The cloud robustly amplified the light.

“AHHH! What is it with your team and light?!” bellowed Luna. She landed on a cloud and rubbed her eyes.

Taking the opportunity to look for her team, Celestia searched the city below. Nothing there. She sensed, however, that something was happening on the mountain. She couldn’t see her team, however, with her powerful alicorn eyes, she spotted Rarity and Granny walking along the mountainside above her. “Too easy,” she snickered. Her horn charged and she released a huge glowing ball of light and pain. It was the size of a house. She was proud of herself and she watched the thing hurtling through the sky. It was going to be a massive explosion. She focused on Granny and Rarity. They weren’t suspecting anything. Nor were Cheerilee and Tree Hugger, who just jumped them. Celestia’s eyes went wide.

The entire mountain seemed to shudder from the force of the explosion. Along with the tons of boulders that were dislodged and scattered, four ponies were sent tumbling through the air so far and so fast Celestia didn’t have time to react and pull her teammates out of their trajectory. All she could do was watch as they sailed far, far away. Probably to Ponyville. Judging by the arc they may even land beyond. Celestia put a hoof to her mouth. “Oops again.”


The sun had just peaked over the horizon and the Apple siblings were already working just as hard as ever. So hard, in fact, that they didn’t seem to notice the smoke rising from Canterlot in the distance. Even though Granny being gone should have meant less work, the prospect of her wrath and discipline upon finding out they’d slacked off was enough to keep them working. Big Mac pushed another bushel of apples onto the wagon while Applejack pulled another wagon out from the barn. They’d already filled two wagons with bushels for the market and were working on a third.

“It’s been nearly a week and we still ain’t heard nothing from Granny,” Apple Bloom complained with a yawn.

“I know, sugar cube, but ya just have to trust Granny. Ain’t nothin’ to get worried about.”

“I ain’t worried,” defended the filly. “Well, maybe a little.”

“I know. But she ain’t about to get into any trouble. ‘Sides, a pony her age knows how to look out for herself.”

“Eeyup,” added Big Mac.

“And if it was Princess Luna takin’ her somewhere,” Applejack continued, “I don’t think we have to worry too much. Luna is too responsible to let something happen to a pony in her care. Now fetch that bushel over – ”

The conversation was interrupted when just twenty feet away the ground exploded, sending the Apple siblings tumbling. As Applejack righted herself she shook her head to get the ringing out of her ears. The ringing subsided and the sound of an elder pony cussing old-fashioned-like entered her ears. She traced the sound to the new crater.

“Day’gum whippersnapper,” Granny grumbled, crawling out of the crater. “Ain’t got the decency to finish the job. I’m almost dead anyway!” she hollered, shaking her hoof at the sky.

“Granny!? What in tarnation…!?”

“Don’t you mind none, y’hear? And what are y’all doing sittin’ around? Get back to work!” And with that Granny launched herself into the air, leaving the stunned Apple siblings in a cloud of dust and questions. They didn’t know what was more shocking: the armor their grandmother wore, the fact that she fell to the earth and crawled out of a crater, or that she acted like them not working was a bigger deal.

Applejack tried to articulate her confusion. “What the f – ”

Another explosion rocked the farm as Granny was blasted back into the ground. This time, a maroon-ish streak followed her in, causing another explosion. The poor Apple siblings were besides themselves. They watched in disbelief as the cause of the maroon-ish streak crawled out of the new crater.

“Miss Cheerilee?!” cried Apple Bloom.

“Oh, good morning, Apple Bloom,” the teacher said in a bright cheerful tone. “And hello, Applejack,” she smiled, nodding cordially. She looked at Big Mac and snorted in malice.

“Cheerilee, what…why?!” Applejack cried, rushing over to the crater.

Before Cheerilee could respond and before Applejack could get a good look in the crater a geriatric green streak shot out of the hole, slamming into the back of the teacher and sending her flying.

“Wha-wha-what’s goin’ on?!” sputtered Applejack before she turned her attention to Cheerilee crashing through the roof of the barn. “Mah barn!”

The maroon mare landed hard in the loft but she was quickly up and in a defensive stance. When an attack didn’t immediately come she paused to listen. A thump outside announced the arrival of another contestant.

“Rarity?!” cried Applejack. “Wh-what?!”

“Oh, hello, darling,” Rarity greeted.

“Shush yerself!” Granny scolded.

Cheerilee heard Granny and Rarity whispering to each other. She couldn’t make out what they were saying and she decided to take the opportunity to slip out of the barn. She jumped out the open loft door and into the pig sty on the other side of the barn. She was initially repulsed by the consistency and odor of the muck she was standing in but then she considered the stuff. It didn’t take her long to plan her next move.

Cheerilee cleared her throat. “Here, piggy piggy piggy piggies!” she called in her best farmer impression. She could hear Granny and Rarity go silent before discussing something hurriedly, likely a plan of attack. She waited, but not long.

Granny zipped around the corner of the barn and burst through the sty fence. Cheerilee leapt over the attack and kicked Granny into the mud. Just as she landed Rarity struck from the other side, sending Cheerilee sliding across the sty. Not letting Rarity get the upper hoof she started splashing mud at the unicorn.

“EEWWW!” squealed Rarity, backpedaling from the onslaught of filth.

The Apple siblings ran around just in time to watch Granny push Rarity out of the way and throw mud in Cheerilee’s face. While she was distracted, Granny quickly moved behind the teacher and locked her in a full nelson. The teacher struggled against the geriatric assailant and eventually flipped her over the top of her. She turned and bucked Granny so hard the old mare blazed a trail through the mud and through the wall of the barn. The angle of Granny’s trajectory took her through the side wall of the barn, leaving a long gash in the base of the wall. She finally skidded to a halt some thirty yards down the way. Having briefly dispatched Granny, Cheerilee turned her attention to Rarity, who had finished cleaning the mud off her armor. She charged the unicorn and just before she got there dove forward. It seemed to happen in slow motion but really lasted only a second or two. Cheerilee flip-threw Rarity through the barn. Even though they were mortified at the time the Apple siblings would later agree that it was a very impressive move. Rarity crashed through the wall and then out the roof before crashing into an apple tree upon landing.

“Mah tree!” wailed Applejack.

Rarity plopped out of the tree and quickly leapt to her hooves. She’d found a new resolve. Nopony gets Rarity dirty except Rarity. She charged at full speed towards the barn. Assuming Cheerilee was still in the pig sty Rarity would catch her by surprise if she went straight through the barn. She was almost to the barn and charging up her horn –

“WAAAHH!”

She was met by a flying pig that had just crashed through the barn. It struck her square in the face and instantly brought her to a stop. There was barely a second between when she pried the swine from her face and when another one smacked into her. Then another and another. Each one punching a hole in the barn before is slammed into the unicorn.

From the pig sty Cheerilee picked up another pig and hurled it through the barn.

“MAH PIGS!” shrieked Applejack.

The oinkers zipped through the air and found their target. One by one they piled on Rarity until she was buried under a heap of would-be bacon. After all the pigs had been flung, Cheerilee waited, breathing hard. Something splashed into the mud next to her.

“Sorry, sister,” said Tree Hugger. “I fell in Everfree and I was briefly entranced by its chaotic vibe. It illuminated my soul.” She clutched her hoof to her chest.

“Sure. Anyway, I’ve got Rarity pinned but I’m not sure for how long. It’ll depend on how strong her aversion to pigs is. And I’m not sure about Granny.”

“I just saw the elder pony sneak around behind us. She’s getting ready to attack.”

“WHAT?!”

Cheerilee was quickly planted into the mud face first. Granny leapt at Tree Hugger and tackled her into the mud. She jumped on the hippie a few times, pushing her further down. Tree Hugger was nearly completely submerged when Cheerilee recovered and kicked Granny away. As she pulled her teammate from the mud she was t-boned by Rarity and sent flying through the sty fence. Unfortunately, Rarity had stopped right next to Tree Hugger, who promptly kicked her legs out from under her and rolled on top of her.

“Be one with your brethren swine,” hummed Tree Hugger, holding Rarity down.

“EWWWW! Ew! Ew! Ew! EEWWWWW!” Rarity squealed and cried, flailing about as she slowly sank into the mud.

“You’re one to talk!” shouted Granny as she grabbed hold of Tree Hugger and basically shot put her through the barn. “Take a bath, ya filthy thing!”

Cheerilee stood up and saw Granny helping Rarity, who was thoroughly stuck in the mud. Although they were distracted, Cheerilee did not attack. She reassessed the situation: she knew Sweet Apple Acres was not a place to fight Granny. The old mare knew this place better than her own grandchildren. It was best to find a different venue. She hurried off to find Tree Hugger.

With a sickening schlurp Rarity was finally pulled out of the mud. Despite being free she was still shaking from being covered in mud and pig filth. Granny smacked her across the face a few times to snap her out of it.

“Get with it!” ordered Granny.

“S-sorry, Granny, it’s just” – she looked herself over – “ew.”

“Never you mind none, y’hear? We got work to do.” She turned in time to look through one of the holes in the barn and see Cheerilee pulling Tree Hugger out of a tree. “There they are! Blast ‘em!”

Rarity aimed as best she could and fire a massive blast from her horn. The mud proved unstable and her accuracy was diminished. The laser tore through the hole but also tore off some more of the barn as well. It sailed just high of the intended targets and set ablaze the tree that Tree Hugger had just climbed out of.

“Ugh, this mud,” whined Rarity.

“Dagnabit, ya scared ‘em off!” barked Granny. Sure enough, Cheerilee and Tree Hugger had high-tailed it down the lane and were already cresting the hill toward Ponyville.

“Sorry,” apologized Rarity.

“Ain’t no time,” yelled Granny, barreling through the wall of the barn. “They’re gettin’ away!” Rarity quickly followed, using her magic to make the new hole a little larger and a little tidier for her to pass through.

As the four fighting mares left the scene the Apple siblings were left in stunned silence. They were splattered with mud from the pig sty. After a few moments they heard creaking and cracking beside them. They turned just in time to see the barn collapse.

“Aw poop,” groaned Apple Bloom.


Luna and Celestia continued to battle up on the mountain. Then, they wrestled down it. Tumbling and bouncing as they went, knocking rocks and boulders loose, sending rockslides raging down to the city below. The two alicorns crashed into the city in the midst of the torrent of rocks. The destruction they caused was nothing compared to the rockslides and boulders, which buried an entire neighborhood.

The landing had separated them and it took a few minutes to find each other in the thick clouds of dust. When they did, they began hurling rocks and bricks at each other. Because of their strength, if a projectile missed its target it hit another building behind them, doing even more damage. Eventually they moved to a more spacious venue: one of the turrets of the castle.

Around and around they flew, zapping and blasting as they could. Just as the rocks before, errant blasts struck at random in Canterlot if they missed their target. Restaurants, boutiques, and jewelries were just some of the buildings decimated by the princesses’ inaccuracy.

Luna charged an extra strong laser and sent it hurtling at Celestia. The white alicorn put a shield but was still pushed back until she hit a turret. Luna followed up with an even bigger laser, making a direct hit. And then some. Sure, the laser hit Celestia but not only did it punch her through the turret, it also blasted a huge hole in the structure. Celestia charged back through the hole but was punched hard from above and sent crashing to the ground far below. Luna smiled smugly as she moved out of the way as the tower tipped over and collapsed. Right onto Celestia.


Cheerilee and Tree Hugger sat at the opposite end of the car, glaring at and eyeing Rarity and Granny. They had fought briefly in Ponyville but the pair on Celestia’s team decided to get back to Canterlot. Fortunately for them, a train was leaving at that exact moment. Granny and Rarity had followed them on the train and they had a standoff in the car and were all set to fight. However, the conductor came back and yelled at them for disrupting the other passengers so they decided just to sit as far away from each other as they could whilst still being able to keep an eye on the other team. The ride was ominously quiet and incredibly uncomfortable for the other passengers.


Luna wandered around the rubble looking for her sister. Either she was buried or already gone. Unfortunately, Luna knew she had to make absolutely sure Celestia was in the rubble before moving on. She lifted some larger pieces, careful to avoid surprises. After about ten minutes of searching she decided that Celestia had indeed already vacated the area. She did as well.


The second the four mares stepped off the train in Canterlot they began fighting. The train station was ultimately damaged beyond repair. They moved beyond the station, leaving a trail of destruction and injury behind them. From the less reputable Crimson Corners neighborhood to the ultra-posh Prancer Heights, the richest neighborhood in the city, nothing was safe. Rich, poor, earth, unicorn, pegasus, etc. Nopony received any special treatment from the embattled quartet. It was as if they weren’t even aware of their surroundings. They just fought.

A short while after they fought their way through Mustang Avenue – a neighborhood they had visited on their way out of the city – they were joined by Luna. Her presence certainly tipped the scales. Instead the relatively even-matched two-on-two match up, Tree Hugger and Cheerilee found themselves in retreat, dodging and defending far more than attacking.

Eventually, Luna’s team had Cheerilee and Tree Hugger cornered in a toy store. After easily fighting off a barrage of pony plushies and toy trains, Luna and company now had their opponents trapped in the action figure aisle. Luna approached from one end, Granny and Rarity from the other.

“If you got any more ideas, Hugs, now would be the time,” anxiously said Cheerilee.

“Sorry, dude. I’m out. I thought throwing a few Luna plushies at Luna would distract her but alas, she seems to be at peace with the little cuddly and huggable versions of herself.”

“Of course I am!” bellowed Luna, overhearing the chatter. “I find them an accurate representation of my natural state. Why would I not be at peace with them? Do you think I’m not cuddly?! Hmm, harlot?! Do you not find me huggable?!” she screeched, stomping toward Tree Hugger.

“No pony does,” came a voice from behind Luna. She turned to see Celestia standing at the end of the aisle. She was looking rather ragged but still sported a smug face. Next to her she held a Princess Celestia plushie. “This one more accurately depicts the real thing, don’t you think?” She tauntingly nuzzled the plushie. “She’s…perfect.” She smiled wickedly at Luna.

“N-nay! Nay! Mine is better!”

“Is it? And yet” – she brought up a Luna plushie next to her – “how easily…she snaps under pressure.” She ripped the head off with her magic. “Oops. Pop goes the loser!”

“How dare you! That cost twenty bits!”

“Nine, Luna. It was in the discount bin,” Celestia stated far too haughtily.

Luna screamed in rage and charged her sister. In a second she collided with Celestia and the two busted through displays and aisles until at last they broke through the store wall and tumbled into the street.

“Gnarly, dude,” Tree Hugger intoned in awe.

“Yes…” Cheerilee slowly agreed. Just before Luna struck she swore she saw Celestia look past and give a wink. She put away the thought and turned her attention to Granny and Rarity.

She turned just in time to see Rarity shoot past her, flying out the store with a blue aura around her. “C’mon!” shouted Cheerilee, running outside. She saw Rarity catching up with Luna. “Get me up there!” she demanded of Tree Hugger, who sauntered up next to her.

“Right on, sister,” the hippie breathed. She picked up Cheerilee with her dreadlocks and whipped her around a few times and let go, flinging the teacher into the air at breakneck speed. Just as she let go she was pummeled by Granny.

The geriatric assailant landed blow after blow, never relenting. The hippie tried to block with her dreads but was only minimally successful. Ultimately, she’d run out of energy, unable to fight back and barely able to defend. Although her face looked no different now than in her natural state, Tree Hugger was spent. Granny, having had enough of the lethargic pony, rushed behind her, wrapped her hooves around her midsection, and suplexed her.

That finished Tree Hugger’s part in the battle. Granny stood up and saw the hippie’s unconscious form with a white orb above her and a force field wrapping around her.

“Dang young’un,” Granny huffed. “So dang frustratin’!” She hobbled away, breathing heavily and grumbling as she went. She walked in the direction her teammates had gone.


Luna was hot on the tail of Celestia, who’s taken off in the direction of the castle. She knew she needed help. Celestia didn’t have much energy left but was just cunning enough to use what she had to win. She also knew that Celestia knew the castle grounds better than anypony so she had to get her before then. She pulled Rarity from the store and brought her to her side.

“We’re taking her down! Now!” cried Luna.

“Yes, mistress,” agreed the unicorn. “Wait…” She had turned around and caught sight of Cheerilee flying through the air like a dart. “Luna, look!”

Luna turned to see the teacher. “Very well,” she grumbled. “Rarity!” she called, “Trendsetter!”

“Right, m’lady!”

Rarity was slowed some, putting distance between her and Luna. Then Luna stopped on a dime and Rarity was thrown forward at alarming speed. Upon reaching Luna she stuck her hoof out and grabbed the alicorn’s horn, sling-shotting herself around back at her pursuer. Rarity balled herself up and rolled through the air like a dazzling armadillo. She struck Cheerilee with such a force it knocked the teacher clear across the city.

Even as Luna pursued Celestia she brought Rarity back to her. They chased her back to the castle. They zipped around turrets, under archways and even through the great hall. Laser blasts were exchanged frequently, none making a direct hit until finally, Luna and Rarity zapped Celestia simultaneously, sending her plummeting to the square below. Luna and Rarity landed, only to be confronted by a battered but resilient Celestia.

“Is that all you’ve got?” sneered the white alicorn. Her armor was scuffed and dented and her mane seemed to fray in its ethereal breeze. Despite her confident tone it was easy to see that she was struggling to keep the façade.

“Don’t worry, Rarity, I can handle her,” Luna stated. “Go find the cerise one. Make sure she’s down. I’ll join you as soon as I can.”

“Yes, mistress!” Rarity saluted and ran off in the direction Cheerilee had flown.

Luna grinned wickedly at Celestia. “Now, how best to put you down.”

“Don’t bother, Luna!” laughed Celestia. “You know you can’t beat me. I’ve always been stronger than you. I always will be. Besides, I am the Light and the light always snuffs out the darkness.”

“Well, Ms. Light,” Luna sneered, “prepare to be torn asunder! For if you are the light, then I am a prism. I will break you!

The two charged each other with a ferocity that had yet to be seen. The cobblestones of the street flew up in the wake of their approach. The shock wave from their collision shattered windows and cracked walls. Luna was surprised by the amount of energy Celestia was using, even though she had to be nearly at her limit. Each punch, each kick, each bite reminded Luna that while her sister wore well the façade of a prim and proper princess, she could be as ruthless and vicious as a rabid changeling in a room full of mirrors. Still, she knew Celestia was measuring each blow, careful not to overextend herself. That all went out the window, however, when Granny hobbled up and joined the fray.

Celestia was on the defensive. She could take on one of them but Granny and Luna together were too much for the energy she had left. After a slow but steady retreat she knew she had to do something soon. She tried to look for an opening to make her move but Granny and Luna seemed to be in sync – when one relented the other aggressed. Despite the savage pummeling she still took a moment to reflect on the numerous fights she’d engaged in before. Of all the beatings she’d taken, this was one of the – if not the – worst. She knew Luna would be tough but the old mare’s tenacious ferocity was a surprise. Eventually, she accepted that she didn’t have much hope of making it out of the situation.

She kicked Granny under the chin and sent her backwards and blasted Luna in the face. With the space and time she needed, she charged up her horn and fired a ball of energy at Granny. It exploded on impact, tossing Granny like a ragdoll. The old mare was already unconscious by the time she crashed into the ground. Celestia saw the blue orb appear above and force field materialize around Granny. She smiled weakly and nodded approvingly to herself.

She turned to Luna just in time to see her bounding at her, her horn charged brightly. Luna essentially headbutted her sister, releasing the charge from her horn just after doing so. The blast struck Celestia square in the face, sending her somersaulting backwards. She skidded across the cobblestone and then tumbled to a stop. Luna pounced and landed all four hooves directly on Celestia’s midsection. With an almighty oof the wind was knocked right out of the white alicorn.

Luna stepped off her sister and took a step back. Celestia rolled onto her stomach and tried to stand. It was difficult and she wobbled like a baby giraffe trying to stand for the first time. Eventually she stood and gingerly turned to Luna.

“You won’t be the last one standing,” Celestia wheezed.

“I will,” Luna replied smugly. “At least, I’ll stand longer than you.” There was nothing in the way of pity or remorse in her voice.

Celestia was frightened by the tone. She turned away and wobbled a bit more before collapsing. She tried to crawl away but could barely muster the strength to do so. Luna hobbled over to her sister and glared down at her. A small smile crept across her face. An idea had wormed its way into her head. She crouched down and propped Celestia’s head on her shoulder. She positioned herself and the barely conscious alicorn just right and then produced a camera. Several pictures later she unceremoniously dropped Celestia back to the ground. “Also, don’t think I didn’t figure out that the tome was in our old castle. Send me on a wild goose chase, will you? Pah!”

Having suffered through that final act of degradation, Celestia gave in. She rolled on her side and reluctantly drifted out of consciousness. Just like her teammates, a white orb appeared above her and force field encased her.

Luna, pleased with the victory and subsequent act, sent the camera back to her room, and ran off to find her remaining teammate.