• Published 22nd May 2020
  • 303 Views, 7 Comments

The Voices of Day and Night - gimmick68



Celestia and Luna are having trouble bonding. They decide to hold a competition with hopes of rekindling sisterly love. They gather their teams and engage in a spectacle for the ages.

  • ...
1
 7
 303

In Which the Participants are Gathered: Part II

Tree Hugger rested quietly against a lone tree in the middle of a field in the middle of somewhere. Occasional clouds drifted overhead and a slight breeze swept across the scene, rustling the leaves.

“You’re a pony that’s difficult to find,” came a voice above her.

“I am a pony that is difficult to stay put,” Tree Hugger breathed, her voice as carefree as the wind. She kept her eyes closed and continued her rest.

“Indeed. Though, now that I have you for a moment, I would like to discuss a proposition.”

Tree Hugger finally opened her eyes and peered dazedly at Celestia. “Far out, Luminous One. What does your soul require of me?”

Celestia rolled her eyes. “Well, I require your assistance in a matter – “

“Between you and your sister.”

Celestia was a bit shocked by the awareness of the green pony. “Yes.” The word slipped out slowly and cautiously. “My sister and I are putting together a little competition, the purpose of which-“

“Is for you and your sister to grow closer together.”

“Well, yes, I suppose.” She kicked at the ground sheepishly.

“That’s beautiful,” Tree Hugger mused wistfully. “You need to get your chakras in sync. I sensed an imbalance in your souls that night at the Gala. Mostly because Luna’s soul wasn’t present.”

“She was busy! She had her duties to attend to. I would have invited her otherwise!” Celestia quickly defended. She took a breath to calm herself. “That’s the problem we’re trying to remedy. Despite us being back together, we really haven’t grown any closer over the past few years. It’s…difficult.”

Tree Hugger rose from her seat and took Celestia’s hoof in hers, gently patting it. “Hey, no need for those negative vibes, princess. That only sets you on the path to darkness. I’ll help you with your journey to reclaim your sisterhood.”

“Well, thank you for being amenable to my proposition.”

“No prob, my sister.”

“Okay, well, let’s get you to Canterlot.” Her horn lit up.

“Hold on there, McSpeedy. Let’s take this slow. How about we just let the wind take us there?”

Celestia rolled her eyes.

*

Cup Cake pulled the latest batch of pastries out of the oven whilst her infant twins peppered the kitchen with cake batter. She wiped her brow and then readied herself to wrangle her children. Just then Carrot Cake hustled by with a box of cupcakes for a waiting customer. A minute later he hustled back in with a very concerned look on his face.

"Sweetie, were we expecting a visit from Princess Luna?”

Cup Cake’s eyes went wide. “What?!” she cried through clenched teeth that held on to Pound Cake by his diaper. “She’s here?”

“Yeah. And she’s asking for you?”

“What?!” She hustled out to the counter and found Luna studying the pastries in the front display case. The alicorn turned her attention to the baker.

“Greetings, Cup Cake!” she bellowed. “I have come to you in need of assistance. You will join me in a competition of wills and tenacity. We will achieve glory on the battlefield!”

“What?!” Cup Cake cried, dropping her son, who crawled away happy and apparently unscathed.

“Yes, it shall be quite the event.”

“I’m sorry, princess, but I’m a little busy at the moment.”

Luna examined the scene. “Nonsense! This will all be seen to; I can assure you. Pink One, to me!” In a flash from somewhere Pinkie Pie appeared at Luna’s side, eagerly bouncing in place. “Aid the Cake patriarch with the business of this establishment. And reigning these monstrosities he has sired.”

“Oki doki artichokie! But this is more than a two-pony job,” stated Pinkie.

“Very well.” Luna lit her horn and in a flash of light Fluttershy appeared next to Pinkie.

“W-w-whuh?” the yellow pegasus stammered.

“Perhaps another,” pondered Luna. Her horn lit again and suddenly Spitfire appeared in the shop.

“The frak?” the fiery pony wondered.

“Captain, aid these ponies in their quest to maintain order in this establishment.”

“Right, boss!” Spitfire saluted and flew into the kitchen, followed quickly by Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. Moments later an ungodly ruckus arose – pots and pans clanging and clattering, chairs being broken, and the cries and whimpers of ponies in distress.

“I should help,” Cup Cake said but stopped short. “It’s got my tail! It’s got my tail!” and “That’s not how you use a spatula!” and “My salsa cupcakes!” were just some of the cries that gave Cup Cake pause. She turned to Luna. “I’m ready to leave.”

“Very good,” nodded the princess. In a flash Luna and Cup Cake disappeared from Sugarcube Corner, leaving behind the chaos erupting from the kitchen.

*

Fleur de Lis strutted down the street, frequently stopping to strike a pose and admire her reflection in a shop window. She levitated next to her several shopping bags full of expensive clothes. At one particular window, she noticed something peculiar about her reflection: there was a Princess Celestia standing behind it.

“Gah!” the pretty pony jumped. Her bags went flying and the contents were strewn all over. Fleur clasped her hooves over her mouth when she saw recently purchased lacey stockings dangling from her princess’s horn. Celestia removed the garment with her magic and inspected it.

“Hmm, I do believe I have this same pair,” she absently mused. Quickly remembering where she was, she turned her attention to the pristine pony in front of her and replaced the spilled clothing in their bags. “Fleur de Lis, I have a very important task for you. If you’ll accompany to my castle, I’ll explain.”

“The castle?!” Fleur squealed. “Oh my stars! The glamour of it all! And to be in the company of royalty; why, what will the tabloids say?!” She was positively swooning at the prospect.

Celestia rolled her eyes. “Yes, well, I’m afraid the tabloids won’t be privy to this event. Just yet. And when they are, they may be writing a much different story than you expect.”

The fancy unicorn looked at her princess quizzically. “I don’t understand.”

“Quite simple: you’re coming to the castle with me, no press until there is, and then every newspaper in Equestria will be writing your story. Our story. Good?”

“Umm…”

“Perfect.” With a flash, Fleur and Celestia disappeared from the sidewalk. Fleur’s purchases, however, were left to be fought over by her fellow elites and tourists. It was a battle so vicious that it managed to make it into the newspapers.