• Published 19th May 2020
  • 24,680 Views, 1,530 Comments

My little Sunspot - LSTS Connor



We have all read the stories about a human waking up as N.M.M but what if that human woke up as their fiery counterpart

  • ...
106
 1,530
 24,680

13-Breaking News

Author's Note:

:heart: And thank you all for waiting :heart:

13-Breaking News


As the days passed, the ponies of Equestria began to calm down. Well, as much as they can calm down after an explosion so large it could be seen on the other side of the country. Fear was one of if not the major emotion felt by the vast majority of the ponies in Equestria. They wanted answers as to what happened in the south. Why did it happen and will it happen again? The populous wanted answers and they were going to get it with or without cooperation from the government. And who better to get said information than one of the most driven beings in Equestria.

Journalists

From the Canterlot Press to the Manehattan times.
The bane of celebrities and corrupt officials everywhere. The world wanted to know what happened on that fateful day. And once the initial panic was over it was time to get to work. Soon the streets in front of Canterlot castle were packed as journalists tried their hardest to get an interview with the diarchy of Equestria. The once quiet Ponyville library was filled with the sounds of questions being yelled. Each of them trying to get any information they could from Equestria’s newest princess.

Not even the castle staff were safe as they left for the day, some even being ambushed at all times of day and night as the press tried to find out the truth of the event. However, this would be a battle of attrition and they both knew it. Eventually, somepony would break and slip up, be it the Princesses or the castle staff. Something would give but until that time there was still news to report.

And as the first few issues of news were written and released the headlines were just as explosive as the event they were about. From ‘Is the end nigh?!’ to ‘Devastating Magical disaster’ and everything in between. Even a small news outlet in Trottingham came out with the bombshell headlines of ‘Second sun. Magical disaster or a new weapon?’. If only they knew how close they were to the truth in those first few days.

Whilst before the battle for information had begun things on the inside weren’t faring much better. After Celestia’s confession emotions were running high. She, knowing this, thought it best to give them time as they processed her words. The Main 6 remained in Canterlot for one more day after that, spending most, if not all their time with Jolyne, trying to figure out how to get her away from the Princesses. None of them have spoken with Celestia or Luna since, but there was one dragon who was hit hardest by all of this once he read out the letter Twilight had sent him the very same day it all went down.

Some ponies said that he left the library so fast, only a green and purple streak was visible as he made his way towards the Ponyville train station. He was a dragon on a mission and nothing, not even the abandoned train stopped in Ponyville station would stop him from reaching Jolyne.

Reports differ from pony to pony as to what exactly happened next but needless to say, if it weren’t for the underfunded train system of Equestria only having a single locomotive south of the Canterlot, Spike’s trip to Canterlot might not have been as smooth as it had been when he arrived to a bunch of surprised engineers expecting a runaway train and getting a frazzled looking dragon instead.

Although the ponies had begun to somewhat calm down after the event, yet a certain tension was still in the air as Spike moved through the surprisingly bare streets of Canterlot.
These ponies had witnessed what normally would be called the beginning of the end and despite their worries, they survived. This made ponies start spending as much time with their family and loved ones as possible. One tends to realize the importance of the short amount of time there is to live when confronted with the end.

It didn’t take long for the green dragon to reach Canterlot Castle, its guards still standing vigilant at the gate despite recent events albeit visibly shaken. They let Spike pass without incident as he made his way into the structure. Several winding corridors later and Spike was standing outside of the Castle’s infirmary. Heading through the doors he was hit with the telltale aroma of a hospital. The smell of antibacterial cleaning supplies was filling the air and after getting directions to Jolyne’s room the smell only intensified as he approached.

The dull beep and whirr of machines could be heard through the door as well as the sounds of a muffled conversation being held. While opening the door, Spike’s breath hitched in his throat at the sight. Spike by now was used to the sight of an injured pony, living with Twilight such things were a given when she was experimenting and something would inevitably blow up in her face or her lab.

But seeing the state Jolyne was in… This was something no creature on Equis could have handled without some sort of visible or audible reaction. Fluttershy, Rarity, and Twilight were off to the side, all of them deeply immersed in their conversation. The butter-yellow Pegasus’ right hand was idly holding and lightly stroking the unconscious Jolyne‘s hand.

But Spike right now really couldn’t care less about those three as his attention lay fully upon the white and orange Alicorn in the room. Her form was an almost deathly white like that of a ghost about to phase out of the physical realm. Her once fiery and almost lifelike mane and tail were no longer dancing in an unseen breeze now just a dull desaturated orange against her sunken form. Machines Spike couldn’t begin to make heads or tails out of we’re hooked up to Jolyne and more specifically her horn. An almost translucent golden sheen surrounding it as the very faint swirling of the mana gave the sheen an almost lava lamp like appearance.

Were it not for the shallow rise and fall of her chest combined with the beep of a heart monitor and whir of an oxygen tank with a mask attached to Jolyne's face, nothing would have dissuaded Spike from thinking he was staring at a corpse instead. He didn’t know how to react. Should he be happy that she was alive? Mortified at the state she was in? Spike simply stood there unable to move as his eyes were glued to the sight before him.

It was at this moment when the other 3 ponies in the room noticed him out of the corner of their eyes. Spike meanwhile was still trying to comprehend what the universe had against Jolyne as it seemed to do everything in its power to hurt this child for no discernible reason. So deep was Spike in his stupor that he didn’t notice himself being pulled into an embrace by a lavender Alicorn.

Spike didn’t know how long he was held in that embrace or when he was sat down next to the hospital bed, his head still in a daze.

“What…” Began Spike quietly drawing the attention of the nearby Twilight. “What did this to her?”

Twilight glanced nervously at Fluttershy and Rarity. Should she tell him the truth knowing that there is a high chance he would go something irrational? Logic would dictate no, but her heart said yes. He was the first creature Jolyne had met since her strange arrival in Equestria, the first creature to befriend her. It just felt...wrong for Twilight not to tell him the truth about Jolyne’s condition. It was quite a conundrum for the Alicorn but a conundrum she ultimately knew the answer to.

Twilight sighed before giving her response and telling Spike what had transpired.

“The plunder vines they...damaged the ring on her horn. Her magic it...began to seep out and the ring...it couldn’t contain it. And when the ring broke the sudden release of magic...her horn couldn’t handle it. The Princess was able to stop it though but not before…” Twilight trailed off shifting her attention from Spike towards the bed and the form lying within its covers. Spike noticed something, however. The way Twilight mentioned her mentor was cold. It wasn’t filled with the usual tone of awe with which the lavender Alicorn usually spoke with whenever Celestia was involved. Did something happen between them? Spike didn’t have to wait long for an answer however as Twilight began speaking once again.

“Spike, before I tell you this I want you to promise me you won’t do anything rash as it won’t solve anything and only make this already bad situation worse okay? ” Her tone was severe, drawing Spike’s attention back towards Twilight.

“O-okay I promise.” Answered Spike unsurely

“Pinkie Promise?” Question Twilight doing the motions of the unbreakable pact.

“Pinkie Promise.” Responded Spike reciprocating the gestures.

And with the pact made Twilight continued and told the green Dragon everything just as Celestia did to them. It went without saying that Spike couldn’t bear to stand this injustice done by both of the Princesses now. Luna was already bad enough but now Celestia as well? Oh, how he wanted to give Celestia a piece of his mind, her status as a Princess and highest power of the land be damned. A gentledrake such as Spike or any sane creature that heard this news would be marching at the gates of Canterlot castle demanding justice be served. Spike promised however that he wouldn’t do such a thing, as it would definitely make this bad situation Jolyne found herself in into a far worse one. Shouting wasn’t going to solve anything no matter how much they wanted to.

But on the other side of Canterlot among the slowly refilling streets and soon to be warzone of journalism. Three mares had just come up with the perfect plan to get Jolyne away from the Princesses.