• ...
2
 44
 607

#QuiteTheRarity

"And that's the way Other-Questria was founded, and how the Apple Family had the biggest part in it."

Those words were spoken by Granny Smith to Big Mac and Vignette, the former looking at the latter as she tried desperately to stay focused on the story as told by the elderly woman. However, it was rather clear that as soon as the story ended, Vignette was turning gears on her head trying to process everything that was just told to her.

"Did you manage to get anythin' of what ah just said, young lady?" Granny Smith inquired.

"I'm trying, Granny Smith, I'm seriously trying, but it's just so hard!" Vignetted cried, ruffling her hair. "I can only remember little bits like the bear, and the Zap Apples, and other stuff like that."

"But, dat means you understood some stuff about the story," Granny Smith remarked with a smile. "Considerin' you were totally lost last time ah told the story, dat's a big improvement!"

"Eeyup," Big Mac said, patting Vignette's back as he flashed a smile. "You should be proud of yourself."

Vignette, surprised by the positive statement, blushed and smiled, looking elsewhere as she played with her braid. "T-Thanks, Big Mac, Granny Smith."

"Vignette! Someone's come t' see you!"

"Coming, Applejack!" Vignette stood up and stretched. "Well, this was fine and all, but I need to get going."

Granny Smith and Big Mac nodded and bid farewell as Vignette walked downstairs, being stopped by Apple Bloom before she could go any further.

"Vignette, I think you might want t' wait a little," the younger Apple said, twiddling her fingers. "Just until sis can soften up the visitor for you."

Vignette raised an eyebrow. "And why do you bring this up to me now?"

"Well, remember when we went t' the cinema with my friends t' watch a movie, and you got left with Sweetie Belle while Scootaloo and I went to get books?" Apple Bloom scratched the back of her head. "Well... Sweetie Belle's sister's the visitor."

"Rarity's here?!" Vignette exclaimed in shock.

"You bet I'm here, darling!"

Vignette flinched and turned around, seeing Rarity enter the living room while Applejack followed her behind.

"Sorry, Vignette, I couldn't stop her for long."

Apple Bloom moved aside to allow Vignette to reach the end of the staircase, upon which she rubbed her arm as she nervously greeted:

"H-Hi, Rarity. What prompts your visit?"

"That's what I'd like t' know too," Applejack said, folding her arms. "If you were plannin' t' pay us a visit, the least you could do is call beforehand."

"I wanted to do that, sweetie, I really did," Rarity said, looking at Applejack before turning back to Vignette. "But considering the circumstances of your little guest, I couldn't risk having her grab the phone and hung up on me as soon as she heard my voice.

"I.W.P.D.T.: I Would've Probably Done That." Vignette confessed, twiddling her fingers. "But still, what are you doing here?"

"Seriously, darling?" Rarity asked, folding her arms as she walked to the young woman. "You and I have a bit of history together, and you don't even have an idea on what I could be doing here?"

"I mean, it would help a little if you pointed it out to me," Vignette shrugged. "As far as I'm aware, you could've been planning to visit Applejack and you just so happened to hear I was here along the way."

"She has a point, Rarity," Applejack stated.

"Fine, the reason I'm here is because I want to see if you've been acting as good as I've been told," Rarity stated. "Sweetie Belle told me what you told her at the cinema, and I have a hunch you're right, but I can't trust you've changed by a mere hunch. I need to see it myself."

"Hmm, I see, that makes sense," Vignette frowned. "But how am I supposed to show you that I've changed?"

"Well, it's been a while since you joined the Apple family, and I doubt they'd allow a freeloader to live with them," Rarity shrugged. "So, show me what you do for a living."

"Which reminds me, we need to get going to the fruit market!" Applejack remarked, snapping her fingers. "Vignette, are you finished with everything Big Mac and Granny Smith needed you for?"

"I believe so, yeah."

"Then I'm coming with you," Rarity stated, throwing a look at Vignette as she added, "I wanna see what's your new job after the fiasco at Equestrialand."


Rarity was a little disappointed at seeing how normal and ordinary Vignette and Applejack's jobs really were. Certainly relieved, but disappointed nonetheless.

"This is literally all you do?" Rarity inquired, getting Vignette's attention. "Get the order, make said order, get the payment, rinse and repeat?"

"It's the way all businesses in the fruit market work," Applejack answered, stopping Vignette from answering herself. "Although now that I think 'bout it, this is the way all markets works."

"But this can't be it, there must be something else," Rarity stated as Vignette took another order. "I mean, back in your previous job, you were the boss: you gave everybody orders and wanted them done no matter what. Even when you were my "Friend who bosses you around", it was still the same."

Vignette slowed down as soon as she finished the order, and turned to Rarity, who promptly asked next:

"How could somebody who used to boss everyone around her, suddenly be fine being bossed around?"

Seeing this, Applejack put a hand on Vignette's shoulder, returning her to reality as she said:

"Vignette, how 'bout you go home for now? I'll take care of the cart."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, besides, I need t' talk with Rarity in private."

Those words were enough, and Vignette took off her apron and the rest of her uniform before leaving the cart, rubbing her arm as she nervously left the market.

"Well, she's out," Rarity remarked. "What do you wanted to talk to me about-"

Suddenly, Applejack handed the uniform to Rarity, and stated sternly:

"Put on the uniform. Then, we talk."

Well, Applejack would need help with Vignette gone, so it probably wouldn't hurt to help her. And nobody who knew her seemed to go to the fruit market, so she didn't have to worry about getting weird looks, so-

"Rarity, now."

The fashionista hastily put the uniform on and entered the cart. "Okay, I put the uniform, and now I'm here. What did you need to talk about?"

"I want you to tell me what's wrong with you."

Rarity blinked twice. "Come again?"

"Ever since you appeared in our house, you've shown nothing but hostility to Vignette."

"I have a reason to be a hostile, Applejack, remember?" Rarity stated. "The entire Equestrialand fiasco hurt us and our friends, and Vignette was at the center of that disaster!"

"No, magic was at the center, and it chose Vignette as its host to cause problems," Applejack argued "I'll agree that when we first met Vignette, she was nothin' more than a bully, a condescending jerk who thought she was above everybody, and yes, I'll admit, she didn't change much even after her phone was changed by magic-"

"Then why do you defend her?" Rarity questioned. "Why even bother talking to her after everything she did?"

Applejack narrowed her eyes. "Do you know what happened to Vignette after that fiasco?"

Rarity looked elsewhere. "Sweetie Belle... told me that she lost her job, house, and that SnapGab was shutdown. That's what she told her."

Applejack's expression changed, going from angry to a little over disappointed. "The fiasco not only cost Vignette her job, but her house. She didn't even get to take any furniture with her, her landlord decided to keep it as compensation. And to top it all off, she lost the only thing that made her happy: SnapGab."

Rarity lowered her eyelids, and slowly turned back to Applejack as she added:

"Not only that, but she spent some time homeless."

Rarity's eyes widened. "Sweetie Belle didn't tell me that."

"I'm not surprised: tell me somethin', you were still under the belief Vignette was the same lying jerk she used t' be, right?" Applejack raised an eyebrow. "If Sweetie Belle had told you all of that, plus the fact that Vignette was homeless... would you've believed her?"

Rarity lowered her head, but her expression didn't change.

"Not to mention, it just feels hypocritical to condemn Vignette, after forgiving people who've done worse things than her," Applejack counted with her fingers. "Sunset Shimmer broke our friendships, and we forgave her. It took a while, but it did. Twilight stole our magic and nearly destroyed the school, but we forgave her. Wallflower Blush took away our memories of our friendship, and we forgave her. Heck, just over a month ago, Juniper Montage sealed us in a mirror dimension that was about to collapse, and we forgave her too!"

"Yeah, but the one thing all of them shared was that they felt terrible for what they did!" Rarity snapped. "Vignette was completely shameless up until we destroyed her phone!"

"I see," Applejack lowered her eyelids. "So, simply being sorry for what happened is enough to justify forgiving them?"

"Yeah, more or less," Rarity said. "At least, that's what I've learned from Sunset-"

*WHACK!*

Rarity covered her eye and groaned in pain, Applejack reeling back her fist and shaking it as the fashionista whined:

"That one really hurt! Why did you do that?!"

"I'm so sorry, Rarity, I-i don't know what I was thinkin'!" Applejack cried as Rarity uncovered her eye... which was miraculously fine. "Could you forgive me?"

"No! Why would I do that?!"

Applejack narrowed her eyes, her tone turning serious. "Because you just said being sorry for what happened should justify you forgiving me."

Rarity quickly understood the message Applejack was trying to send, and she tried to leave... only to be stopped by Applejack.

"Where are you goin'?"

"I need to apologize to Vignette-"

"You'll do that later, I need your help here for now."


One shift at the fruit market later, Rarity and Applejack entered the house, the former taking a deep breath as she began searching for Vignette. As for the latter, she hid her hands on her pocket as she casually followed the fashionista.

When Rarity walked past the kitchen, however, she stopped and turned back, taking a peek from behind a wall as Applejack joined her, gaining a smile at the sight inside:

Vignette and Granny Smith cooking together. Or more accurately, the latter teaching the former how to cook.

"You don't have t' forgive Vignette, Rarity," Applejack said, calmly putting a hand on her shoulder as she asked, "But can you really claim she's the same manipulative jerk she was when you first met her?"

Rarity's eyes gleamed as she saw Vignette listening to Granny Smith's instructions, then attempt to replicate them with a gleeful smile.

"No," Rarity smiled. "She's certainly changed."

Author's Note:

This was such a Rarity chapter I feel like Vignette didn't even need to be here, but alas, this is her story, not Rarity's.

All of you RariJack shippers out there, I'm sorry if this interaction was too hostile. I'll try make the next one more friendly.

Comment at your leisure, and stay safe out there.