• ...
2
 44
 602

#AppleBloomWasHere

Vignette woke up as soon as the rooster crowed, being slightly calmer than last time. Sure, having the not-yet-dinner waking her up with a screech still scared her, but for some reason, she wasn't as bothered by it as yesterday.

Perhaps this was just because she slept better?

"Good mornin', Vignette!" Apple Bloom greeted, kicking the door open.

"Oh, good morning, Apple... Blossom?"

"Bloom."

"Yeah, that. Good morning," Vignette yawned as the younger Apple walked to her. "Where's Applejack?"

"Hey, you got 'er name right!" Apple Bloom remarked cheerfully. "Anyway, she's at the barn checkin' on the chickens. She asked me t' wake ya up."

"I see, I guess that makes sense," Vignette yawned and stretched. "Anyway, I'll be downstairs in a second, just let me change clothes-"

"Actually, before you do that, there's somethin' ah wanna ask ya." Apple Bloom put her arms behind her head. "Mah friends and I are going t' the cinema today, and I was hoping Applejack could come with us, but she'll be very busy today."

"Really now?" Vignette raised an eyebrow. "Well, why's that?"

"I don't know, she just said she'd be busy," Apple Bloom scratched her cheek. "Then ah asked Big Mac, and he told me he'd be working at the gym, then I thought of askin' Granny Smith, but she's too old-"

"Long story short," Vignette intercepted, putting a hand on Apple Bloom's mouth. "You're asking me because everybody else is busy, right?"

Apple Bloom nodded as Vignette released her mouth. "Besides, ah thought you liked hanging out."

"I do, but are you sure this is a good idea?" Vignette folded her arms. "I mean, your friends might not have the best impression of me."

"Don't worry! I'm sure the Equestrialand Fiasco's but a thought of the past to them by now," Apple Bloom clasped her hands. "So? Whatcha say?"

Vignette touched her chin as she hummed in thought, before flashing a little smile at Apple Bloom.


Vignette and Apple Bloom arrived at the Other-Questria Cinema after a half hour of walking. Vignette was back to wearing her signature clothes, so now people had an easier time recognizing her.

Vignette hated when little details like that escaped her.

"Apple Bloom! We're here!"

The girls turned around, and saw Apple Bloom's friends approaching them, with Apple Bloom hugging them once they arrived.

"Oh right! I nearly forgot!" Apple Bloom pointed at Vignette, who flinched. "This is Vignette Valencia! She's stayin' with mah family for the moment!"

Vignette flashed an awkward smile and waved her hand.

"Vignette, these are my friends, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle," Apple Bloom added while pointing at the orange girl, then the white one, the latter staring at Vignette with distrust.

"Oh hey, I recognize her!" the orange friend remarked. "She's that girl who sung really badly during the Equestrialand Parade!"

Vignette's smile turned into a frown pretty quickly.

"Before you ask anythin', I didn't infect 'em with my honesty," Apple Bloom stated.

"I was actually going to ask if they've been bad influences to you," Vignette sighed. "But, well, we're here! So, what did you want to do?"

The girls hummed together, scratching their chins and looking at the cinema while searching for ideas. Vignette had a feeling there was something she was missing, but she didn't have time to delve on it, since Apple Bloom spoke soon after:

"Well, we're called the Canterlot Movie Club for a reason. We should go see a movie!"

"I second that idea!" the orange one chirped. Vignette had a feeling this was Scootaloo. "But what movie should we see?"

Apple Bloom eyed the white girl, Sweetie Belle perhaps, but she simply diverted her eyes from Vignette, still looking visibly upset.

"Alrighty then," Apple Bloom smiled. "Vignette, whatcha wanna see?"

"You're... asking me?" Vignette scratched her head. "I thought we'd go with whatever you wanted to see?"

"I have an idea, but mah curiosity tells me we should hear you out," Apple Bloom shrugged. "Who knows, maybe you'll like somethin' we like as well."

Vignette hummed, and went to the movie posters, none of which really caught her attention.

The girls, however...

"Daring Do and the Jewel of Eternity!"

"I forgot that was comin' out today!"

Even Sweetie Belle looked happy, though she remained quiet.

"You guys seem quite excited for that movie," Vignette remarked. "Do you wanna see it?"

"Heckin' yeah, we do!" Apple Bloom exclaimed before she ran to Vignette and grabbed her arm. "Let's watch it, yes? Please?"

Vignette shrugged. "Sure, it'll be neat to see something besides court shows and dramas for once."

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo exchanged confused looks, but shrugged it off and followed Vignette and Apple Bloom to the ticket booth.

"Four tickets for "Daring Do and the Jewel of Eternity" please."

"Sorry, ma'am," the pigtailed counter girl spoke. "It's already been sold out."

"What?!" Apple Bloom exclaimed. "How's that possible?!"

"I know, I'm also astonished that the biggest movie event since the original Daring Do movie sold out instantly," the counter girl sighed. "Don't fret, though, today it might be sold out, but knowing this cinema, it'll stay for a month, so you have a slim chance to get tickets."

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo frowned, while Sweetie Belle pouted while looking at Vignette, as if she was to blame for this.

Regardless, the girls got the message and walked away defeated, the counter girl going back to playing cards as they left.

"Great, the biggest movie event of the year and we won't be there to witness it," Scootaloo said, pocketing her hands. "We're gonna be the laughingstock of the school!"

"It can't be that bad, can it?" Vignette shrugged. "I mean, it's just a movie."

The girls gasped, Scootaloo in particular looking offended.

"Daring Do is a franchise books, movies, and all that jazz based on the archeological adventures of, well, Daring Do! It's one of the most popular franchises of all time!"

"And how was I supposed to know that?" Vignette folded her arms. "I've never even heard of Daring Do until today."

Scootaloo flinched. "Wait, what? You haven't read any of the books? Seen any of the shows? Anything?!"

Vignette shook her head.

"Apple Bloom, we need to go to the cinema library," Scootaloo stated, narrowing her eyes as Apple Bloom turned to her. "We can't leave a potential Daringdevil in the dark!"

"Daringdevil?" Sweetie Belle finally spoke.

"The term for a fan of Daring Do, duh," Scootaloo clarified. "Anyway, we should get going!"

"And while we're at it, you and Sweetie Belle can spend some time together, Vignette," Apple Bloom added. "We won't stay there too long, we promise!"

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo bolted out of the scene, leaving a dumbfounded Vignette and Sweetie Belle alone.

"Well, I'm in the mood for some brunch!" Vignette blurted, rubbing her hands as she turned to Sweetie Belle. "How about some donuts?"

Sweetie Belle avoided eye contact. "Sure, whatever."

Vignette frowned, but nonetheless, she and Sweetie Belle got some donuts for everybody and sat on a bench to await Apple Bloom and Scootaloo's return.

While Vignette ate her donut with a calm joy, Sweetie Belle stared at her donut with a neutral expression.

"What's wrong, kid?" Vignette asked, startling Sweetie Belle. "Don't you like vanilla?"

"No, It's fine," Sweetie Belle lowered her eyelids. "The real problem's that you're here."

Vignette tilted her head.

"And one more thing, I have an actual name," Sweetie Belle finally faced Vignette. "Apple Bloom told you what it was earlier. Do you remember what it is?"

Vignette swallowed, and touched her chin for a moment. "Hmm... Sweetie Belle?"

"Huh, so you can remember names," Sweetie Belle looked elsewhere. "That's some progress, I guess."

Vignette frowned. "Sweetie Belle, if there's something about me that bothers you, just tell me and-"

"And what? What can you do to make this better?" Sweetie Belle pouted. "You already hurt Rarity and her friends, what makes you think I'll forgive you after that?"

"So, that's the problem," Vignette remarked. "you're angry at me for how I treated Rarity while she was working under me, right?"

Sweetie Belle furrowed her brow.

"She told me everything that you did: how you acted demeaning to her, how you couldn't be bothered to remember her or her friends' names, and specially how you teleported everybody to a white void room!"

Then, she frowned.

"And yet, once your phone was destroyed. She forgave you. Her friends forgave you. And even after all that happened, she keeps you as a contact on her phone... I... I don't get that."

Vignette lowered her head and took a deep breath.

"I don't get it either. But, if it makes you feel any better, I didn't get out of it unscathed."

Sweetie Belle turned to Vignette, raising an eyebrow as she explained:

"Shortly after the parade was over and everybody left, Equestrialand was shutdown for repairs, and I lost my job."

Sweetie Belle looked elsewhere. "You deserved that."

"And when I got home," Vignette continued. "My landlord learned of everything. He decided having an infamous tenant wouldn't do, so he kicked me out."

Sweetie Belle's eyes widened.

"And moments later, during my first night as a homeless person, I discovered that SnapGab was shutdown permanently. And the millions of followers I had amassed... were no more."

"Why... are you telling me this?" Sweetie Belle asked.

Vignette raised her head and sighed. "I don't know. So you'd know that all the pain I caused Rarity returned to me eventually?"

Sweetie Belle sulked. "Vignette-"

"Heya, guys!"

The duo turned around, and saw Apple Bloom and Scootaloo running to them, sporting wide smiles on their faces.

"Oh hi, girls," Vignette greeted with a little smile. "Did you have any luck with the books?"

"Yeah! And not only did we get the first book in the series," Apple Bloom chirped as Scootaloo revealed a book with the exact same cover as the Jewel of Eternity movie poster. "But we got the book version of the Jewel of Eternity!"

"It's the exact same as the movie, too!" Scootaloo added joyfully. "We won't become the laughingstock at school!"

"That's great, I'm happy for you. And to celebrate," Vignette raised the bag containing the donuts. "D.F.E.: Donuts For Everyone!"

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo jumped in joy while Sweetie Belle glanced between them and Vignette, who added with a laugh:

"Phew, I finally got to say an acronym! I was starting to feel naked without it!"

Between her friends' joy and Vignette's laughter and earlier statements, Sweetie Belle had no idea what was going on, only that this was something worth bringing up to Rarity when she got the chance.

Until then, though, she ate her donut and went with the flow.


At the apartment Vignette used to live at, things were peaceful as a figure walked to a door, and adjusted their tie before knocking.

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!*

"I'm coming! I'm coming!"

The door was opened by the landlord, one certain Svengallop, who rolled his eyes as he growled:

"Who is it and what do you want?"

The man froze, however, when he saw a man with coal skin, black shadowy hair, and piercing red eyes, wearing a black business suit with matching gloves.

"Greetings, good man," he said with a suave, yet imposing voice. "I believe I need no introduction, do I?"

"Y-You're King Sombra!" Svengallop exclaimed. "The CEO of the Crystal Emporium, one of the biggest businesses in Other-Questria!"

"Good, I don't need an introduction," Sombra chuckled. "I'll be straight to the point: someone named Vignette Valencia used to live here, didn't she?"

"Y-Yes..."

"And you kept all her stuff in her old room? And don't try lying; I got methods to make you talk, you know?"

"Okay, alright, I did! Why do you ask?!"

Sombra flashed a smile full of sharp teeth.

"She's my daughter. And I've come to take her stuff and return them to her."

Author's Note:

Last chapter's flashback was kinda dark, so I changed that for a bonkers stinger this chapter.

I wanted this to be an Apple Bloom chapter, I really did, but since Vignette and Rarity have history, and Sweetie Belle's her sister, I just couldn't have them not interact.

Comment at your leisure, and stay safe out there.