• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 1,001 Views, 12 Comments

Don't Sleep - Man of Wonders



A group of survivors in Ponyville struggle to stay alive as they face hardships.

  • ...
0
 12
 1,001

Chapter 1

"GET OFF!" Applejack is found struggling, a bloodied body forcing her down and testing her weight.

"Applejack! Quickly! We have the supplies, we need to get the hay out of here!" A purple unicorn lifts the body off of Applejack and helps her on her hooves, giving her a small wrench to use as a weapon. Applejack takes it in her mouth, and limps out of the building they had been searching.

"Applejack, stop..." Twilight quickly turns her head, facing Applejack. They both stand still listening...

"Twi, were the only ones left in Ponyville. Ah highly doubt-"
"That's where your wrong, Applejack. We aren't the only ones left in this hellhole...I can feel life surging through my horn every time we go out for supplies."

Twilight and Applejack stayed together. They hid in the library after watching the virus spread.

3 weeks ago, a small virus known as the Rage Virus reached Equestria. It infected the first person, taking over his body. Half of his brain would shutdown, using the other half which wasn't controlled by its source. The virus would attack any other pony that wasn't infected, using the infected body as a weapon. It would take just a bite or scratch to infect someone, and it seemed to happen slowly. Painfully, also, after Twilight watched as her friend Daisy turned right in front of her, then attacking. She would kill them quickly, knowing that they were pretty much already dead.


"Twi, we gotta go. We gotta get back to tha house..." Applejack prodded at the still Twilight, whose ears were perked up.

CLONK

Twilight and Applejack jumped as they heard the sound of something metal dropping, showing that something was close.

"Twi, its just wanna those infected ponies...WE GOTTA GO!" Applejack pushed Twilight and started to sprint back to the house, when a voice rang through the building that sourced the noise.

"Hello?! Survivors? Fluttershy, survivors!" a raspy voice rings through the air.

"Did she just say...Fluttershy?" Applejack halts, turning towards the source of the voice.

"R-Rainbow?" Twilight's voice stutters as she calls back at the voice. Then, 2 pegasi burst through the building they had previously raided as they sprint with weapons facing Twilight and Applejack.

They stop and face them.

"T-Twi...I..." Rainbow Dash drops her weapon. Her mane was completely tattered, as though someone had rushed their hoof through it backwards.

"RAINBOW!" Twilight quickly drops her supplies and runs, hugging Rainbow tightly.

"I...I thought you were dead. I thought...you were infected..." Twilight grasps Rainbow harder, who drops the baseball bat she was using as a weapon and hugged back. Fluttershy runs towards Applejack and gives her a large hug, tears streaming down each of their coats.

Then, Twilight breaks the silence.

"We...turned the library into a safehouse...we could add two more beds, if you would like..."

"We've been living out on the streets, eating out of trash cans and killing those...things." Fluttershy responds, letting go of Applejack.

"We would love to accept the offer, Twilight." Rainbow Dash stares Twilight in the face, tears rolling down her cheeks.

-----------------

Twilight, Applejack, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash set down their supplies and head inside. They had each found enough food to last them a week.

"Ah'll prepare ya a 'we-thought-ya-wer-dead-but-ya-weren't-and-now-we-have-another-damned-mouth-ta-feed' dinner. If...ya don't mind, of course." Applejack laughed as she trotted towards the oven and started cooking.

"Were both starving..." Rainbow turns to face Fluttershy, who nods in agreement.

"But you don't have to, if you don't want-" Fluttershy quickly stops as Rainbow puts a hoof on her mouth, silencing her.

Twilight laughs as Applejack continues to prepare them dinner.

"We have two cots down where we've been previously sleeping...we could bring those up, if you would like." Rainbow slightly gulps as she turns back towards the streets.

"They usually don't come out until night...that's when it can get bad." Twilight nods as she see's Rainbow staring through the window nervously.

"If you want to go get your cots, thats fine with me...I'll be here helping Applejack prepare dinner. Just...be safe."

Rainbow and Fluttershy both retrieve their weapons and prepare themselves to go outside.

--------------------

"So...we're going to go looking for Rarity first... I hate to lie to Twilight, but its the only way we can get us all together." Rainbow turns to Fluttershy, who shies away.

"But...what if she..." Rainbow puts her hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder.

"She's not infected, Fluttershy. I promise you...she's okay." A tear drips down Fluttershy's muzzle. "But...you saw what happened to P-Pinkie..." tears start to violently stream down her coat as she sobs.

"Fluttershy, Pinkie's in a better place now. I know...what happened to her...w-was tragic, b-but everyone's l-lost someone, and t-that was her choice. S-she did it to keep u-us safe..." Rainbow hugs Fluttershy, letting her push her muzzle into Rainbow's coat before they headed towards the Carnivál Boutique.

-------------------

"Twi, why in the hay are they takin' so long? Ah mean, they should be back by now...right?" Applejack lays plates out on the table, ready to serve the food.

"I'm sure they'll be back soon...if not, we'll have to go looking for them..." Twilight sighs as she places the book she was reading back in the shelf.

"I'd bet their on their way back right now." Twilight brushes past Applejack, rubbing her nose with her tail.

--------------------

"RARITY?!" Fluttershy and Rainbow had spent 30 minutes in the boutique, searching for their friend. "Rarit-" Rainbow is cut off when she hears a noise from behind her in the bedroom.

"Rarity?" Rainbow trots into the bedroom, looking for the source of the noise. "Is that you?" she hears the noise again, only louder as she resumes to search for Rarity.

"Rarity...it's me, Rainbow Da-" Rainbow is interrupted when a head pokes from under the bed.

"R-rainbow?" Rarity's mane is tattered, which Rainbow wouldn't have expected even during this epidemic.

"RARITY!" She yells, galloping towards the bed as Rarity notices and quickly diverges.

"It's okay...we can bring you back to the rest of us...Twilight, Applejack, Fluttershy and I-"

"NO! You don't understand!" She stutters, as she slowly pokes her head out again. "She got me..."

"Who got you?" Rainbow Dash raises and eyebrow and faces Rarity. "Were you...bitten?"

Rarity fully raises her head out from under the bed, as the rest of her body follows.

Rainbow gasps as she notices a large bite mark on the side of her flank.

"But...you're..." Rainbow backs away as Rarity starts to sob.

"I watched them...take Sweetie Belle..." She starts to trot towards Rainbow, who continues to back away as she notices the large bite mark.

"Please...help me..." Blood starts to drip from her flank as she limps towards Rainbow.

"No...don't touch me..." She gallops out of the room, ignoring the pain she felt from knowing she would loose another friend.

"I'VE BEEN HIDING FOR DAYS!" Rarity calls back, forcing Rainbow to halt and turn to face her.

"B-but...you should b-be..." a tear drips from her muzzle as she stares at the helpless unicorn.

"Your irises...there red...how are you not..." Rainbow trots forward, inspecting her body.

"You're a...a carrier. You...can't be infected, but you can infect any one of us." She starts to back away, accelerating as she puts her hind legs behind her front legs.

"Don't touch me..." she leaves the room, tears flowing down her coat as she hears a voice from downstairs.

"What's going on-" Fluttershy quickly stops as Rainbow Dash lushes her out of the way, turning back to yell at her.

"We have to leave, now!"