• Published 13th May 2020
  • 1,343 Views, 77 Comments

The Seventh Sense - LikeaSir



So as it turns out, humans are magic. Yeah, I know... sounds ridiculous, right? Trust me, I never really saw it coming myself either - but we really are! I guess I should let you in on humanities best kept secret, huh?

  • ...
7
 77
 1,343

A great name for the greatest university.

It was Braeburn who finally broke the silence. Twilight eyed him warily as he sauntered over to one of the immaculately arranged bookcases, pulled out a thick volume titled 'A treatise onne the noble arte of alchemie', and horked indignantly at it. I can say with confidence that he wasn't reading it, because it was upside down. I'd have said he was looking at the pictures... but they too, were upside down - which probably explains his indignance.

As is the case with all things that have the misfortune of being Braeburn's object of attention for more than say, two seconds, the book was in significant danger of a drenching. Sure enough, his eyes soon glazed over, as he summoned forth the contents of his sinuses with a dreadful and powerful hork.

*pTOOH!!* went Braeburn, ejecting what had to be a good pint of fluid across the book's ancient and fragile pages.

Twilight did not respond well. I'd go so far as to say that she overreacted a little. I had never seen such carnal ferocity consensed into such a short space of time. I think at one point Twilight splatted him with an entire four poster bed? And I'm almost certain that she magically swung the poor sod around by his tail so fast that ALL this chewing tobacco came flying out in an abominable sticky torrent. It all happened so quickly! The last I saw of him, was a shrieking yellow blur hurtling through a second floor window, on a practically ballistic trajectory that was almost certain to end in tears.

If you have any doubts, allow me to assuage them. Braeburn definitely lost that engagement. And the library lost at least one potential customer. There was nothing now that could convince me to borrow a book from Twilight's library. Not after her little display. I... really didn't want to be swung around by the closest thing I had to a tail, after all.

She stood in the centre of the room, panting, and clearly exhausted by her sudden burst of savagery. To my relief, it seemed she had worked off all her furious energy on our dribbly friend. What she had not done however, is forget that I had a potential hand in Spike's disappearance.

"So... *pant* would you care... *pant* to explain...?"

I threw my hands up defensively. "L-look, I had absolutely nothing to do with tha-" My brain suddenly interrupted my mouth, reminding me that a scant few hours previously, a dog made of tree had disappeared under similar circumstances. And Nurse Tenderhoof had made the (now not so ridiculous) claim that I was a magical creature...

Surely not... surely it couldn't be me, 'disappearing' things? Could it?

It all seemed a bit too convenient to be mere coincidence...

"You know what Twilight? On second thought, I uuh... think I might have a bit of a problem. You know nurse Tenderhoof? The vet in Apple-loser?"

Twilight relaxed, nodding, pensively. "It's 'Appleloosa', but yes... I know her..." she walked over to one of the few tables that had managed to remain upright during her rampage, and hoisted a thick stack of papers, flopping it at me with her magic. "She sent this over a few hours ago... it's your medical file."

"Blimey... You - you've read it, right...? You know about the Thaumic shock? You can help me, can't you? I'm not gonna burst or anyth-"

"I - I can try?" interrupted Twilight, gently waving a placating hoof at me, as she flipped through the file's pages. "I don't really know what's wrong with you yet... some of these symptoms are consistent with Tenderhooves' diagnosis but..."

"B-but what?" I could feel that all too familiar panic clouding my thoughts. "Tw...Twilight?"

"I can't be sure what's happening... not yet" her eyes flicked up to meed mine, her features etched with grim determination. "Take a seat - I'll be right back!"

'I guess that's progress at least', I thought to myself, plopping down into a weeny little pony sized couch, to watch Twilight's retreating form stomp purposefully away, and up a cutesie flight of stairs. After a few minutes of rustling and a loud THUNK (followed by what I'm sure was a muffled expletive), she came stomping back down again, angrily rubbing the back of her head, and carrying in her magic a Thaumometer much larger, and MUCH wobblier than Tenderhoof's.

"Lie back please, mister baboon." twilight patted the cusions beside me with a smile. "here - along the couch. You've got to stay still, so as I can get an accurate reading."

I did as she requested, slighly hurt at being called a baboon again.

"I'm not a bab-"

"SHUSH! Nice and still now."

Twilight's magic moved the thrumming thermometer over to me, almost instantaneously it crackled into paradoxical motion, just as Tenderhooves' had done.

"O-oh... oh! OH!! I see! It all makes sense now!" came Twilight's excited voice. "Your Thaumic polarity... it's... it's reversed!"

"The hell does that mean?"

"It means Thaumic energy isn't flowing THROUGH you properly." she said purply, turning to me with a sanctimonious grin. "It's going in, but not out."

"I uuh... yeah, no offence intended, Twilight, but I'm none the wiser here."

"It means you're accumulating massive Thaumic energ-oh... Ohhh dear. Ooooh no... ohhhhh NO!!" she whimpered, as understanding dawned. "We... we have to get you to Canterlot's University of Natural Thaumaturgy right away!"

"Twilight, y-you're panicking. Should I uuh... should I be panicking too?"

"Yes! We can't wait a moment longer! The more time spent around magical energy, the worse you'll get, I-"

"Shit! SHIT!! TWILIGHT, AM I GONNA BURST?!"

Twilight stared at me, eyes bulging with barely contained horror "Probabl-"

"NONONO!!! NO! DON'T SAY IT! D-don't say it... please... just... please get me there!!"

"Okay... uuh... okay" Her eyes were practically pinpricks. Geeze, this girl was almost as bad as me in a crisis... "I'll have to teleport us. Keep still! Hold your breath!"

"W-wait, wait! Didn't you just say I can't spend any more time around magical energy?!" I all but shrieked, "Isn't teleporting me a bad ide-"

Author's Note:

I kinda get the feeling I'm a bit shit at dialogue? And uuh... writing in general, to be honest. Ah well - I'm having fun. :twilightsheepish: I hope you guys are too!