• Published 19th Oct 2020
  • 3,162 Views, 126 Comments

The Road of Courage - PrismaGalaxy514

  • ...
21
 126
 3,162

Chapter 3: Shattered to the Core

As the stars sparkled the purple night sky, the dark blue unicorn was standing on a balcony with her ethereal mane flowing. However, she was worried about something..

"What's wrong, my dear sister?"

A voice can be heard. She looked back to see a tall white alicorn with beautiful flowing mane and golden regalia. Her mane consisted of the colors of blue, green and pink, fading to brighter colors and sparkle like stars. It was no mistake. The tall white alicorn is the ruler of Equestria, Princess Celestia and the blue alicorn is her younger sister, Princess Luna, who rules this world alongside her.

Celestia walked up to her younger sister, since she was worried about her. Then Luna finally answered: "While I was in the Dream World, I was doing my duties as usual, until I saw a dream like no other. Actually, it was a nightmare."

"A nightmare?" Celestia asked.

Luna replied: "Yes. But what's strange is, it came from a pony, I've never seen before."

"A pony, you've never seen before?" Celestia was surprised. "This is strange…"

"It's like he came from a different world." Luna added.

Celestia asked: "What was the nightmare all about?"

Luna closed her eyes, took a deep breath and explained the details:

"It was about a boy in a dark void being chased by evil creatures, I couldn't recognize. They looked like those humans, Sunset told us, except they looked more sinister and demonic. They told him several things, like it was his fault and what he did and called him horrible names. They were closer and closer, until the boy was trapped in the darkness, paralyzed from the fear. I saw the fear in his eyes, along with the tears, as he pleaded with them to stop. But they were relentless and got closer to him. The last thing I heard from him was a scream. A horrifying scream, that sent chills in me.. I've seen nightmares from several ponies before, but not like this.."

"This doesn't sound good.." Celestia was speechless about the unknown nightmare. Who was the boy? Why was he chased by demonic entities? Why was he scared? And most importantly: Who was the pony, who had the nightmare? There are so many questions that circled in her head. Then, she came back to reality and said: "We should keep an eye on this situation. We don't know much about the boy."

"I suppose, it's for the best." Luna agreed.

Soon, the tall white alicorn went to a stance and looked at her sister. "It's time."

"I know." The blue alicorn smiled and went inside, while Celestia used her magic to raise the sun, bringing the warm days.


Meanwhile, in Twilight's castle…

As the sun rays illuminated the room, Dukey woke up. "Wow, I must say, that's way better than sleeping in the farm or even in the animal shelter." He yawned and got up from his bed, as the walls shimmer from the light. He looked at the other bed, where his friend is. He is currently sleeping with his mane still being messy. He tapped on his back, but the black pegasus rolled around. He tried again, but with the same results.

"Give me 5 more minutes…" he mumbled.

With a sigh, the brown hybrid tugged his hair, causing the pegasus to wake up. "Ow! Not cool!" he said in annoyance and pain, as he rubbed his head.

The black pegasus slowly stood up and rubbed his eyes, as his friend noticed him in a cranky mood.

"Geez...You look like you didn't sleep well…The nightmares surely got you hard." the hybrid noticed that.

"Ugh, of course they did!" Johnny replied in a loud and cranky voice, as he struggled to keep his eyes open.

"Johnny, why not just wash your face with water? That look doesn't seem welcoming to anyone." Dukey asked.

Johnny sighed and replied: "Maybe, you're right… I need to wash it off.."

The black pegasus went to a nearby bathroom and to a sink, where he started to wash his face with water off. As he looked into the mirror, he saw something. It was a reflection of the demonic being in his nightmare.

"Johnny…." A voice can be heard. His eyes widened and shook his head hard. He looked himself at the mirror again, only to see that there was no reflection of the entity.

"What the hell!?" the young pegasus thought to himself. "This can't be….No...No way…"

Soon, he saw more demonic figures in the mirror and more voices could be heard. They looked and sounded even worse than before. The pegasus started to feel threatened and scared.

"Look, what you did, you ungrateful bastard!"

"You're the worst, Johnny Test!"

"You can run, but you can never hide from your actions!"

"You're the cause of the chaos!"

"Young man, you are in big trouble!"
"You spawn of the devil!"

Soon, the entities emerge from the mirror and morphed into a gruesome monster. Johnny couldn't move, because of his fear and trauma.

"No! Stop it!" he pleaded as he covered his ears, since the voices had been unbearable for him. And as the creatures got bigger and closer and as the voices echoed in his head, the pony curled up into a ball and shook for his life. They called him horrible names and such.

"Stop it! Leave me alone! NO! STOP IT!"

With scream, he punched the mirror, shattering into little pieces and when he opened his eyes, the entities were gone. His heart was racing in what it seems like at lightspeed, his body shaking from the hallucinations and his eyesight fading in and out.

"No….Please…..Anything but this…" he spoke quietly and yet shaken.

"What's going on?"

He heard a voice and the door being opened. It came from Twilight, as well as Dukey and Spike, who heard the commotion. Of course, they looked worried of what's going on.

"Johnny, are you okay?!" Dukey rushed to his friend.

"What happened to the mirror?" Spike asked, when he looked at the shards.

After a pause, Johnny answered with a lie: "Well, there was a spider and I tried to stomp it, but obviously, it got away."

"Uhm...okay?" Spike was still confused and looked around. "I don't see any."

"Like I said, it got away!" Johnny repeated it to the dragon.

Meanwhile, the purple alicorn looked at the shards and had an irritated look. It didn't take long until Spike saw her and then looked at the stallions.

"Guys, why not just take a walk outside? We will talk about this later." he said.

"Will do." Dukey answered.

He took the black stallion and went outside the castle together. After they looked around a bit, they went to an alley for some privacy.

"Johnny. About the nightmare...What did you see?" he asked.

"Well...uhm…" Before he could answer, he suddenly saw the nightmarish creatures and screamed in horror..

"Johnny? What's going on?" Dukey was concerned.

As the young pony shook his head, the creatures were gone and instead saw the trash bins.

"No...No!" his inner voice was telling him.

"You look like, you've been spooked by some ghosts.." he said.

"Duh...I'm feeling strange...as if I saw some sort of images…." the black pony responded.

"It means, you're hallucinating." Dukey noted. "I think you need a break."

"What? No no no! I'm fine! Maybe I was out of shape a bit." Johnny replied with a chuckle. "Oops. I gotta go! Rainbow Dash is waiting for me. See ya!" The black pegasus ran off.

Then Dukey felt something twisting in his stomach.

"Something is wrong with Johnny…He has been acting strange lately and now, he refuses to tell the truth…I think, I have to keep an eye on him."

The brown stallion ran off.


Meanwhile in a field near Ponyville…

The blue pegasus mare was waiting for somepony. In the meantime, she flew around a bit to pass some time. Eventually, Johnny arrived with a smile.

"Hey! Sorry for being late. My mind was somewhere again." The young pony added.

"It's okay, buddy! Anyway, are you ready to reach the skies in the most awesome way?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" Johnny replied in an excited tone.

"Awesome! Let's begin!" Rainbow Dash flew around a bit.

Later, they went to a spot somewhere.

"Alright! First, spread your wings!" Rainbow Dash instructed the young pegasus stallion. He smirked and spread his large wings.

"Whoa. Still surprised about your wings though." Rainbow Dash was in awe, yet surprised over Johnny's large, gradient, alicorn-like wings, before snapping herself back to reality. "Anyway...Next, jump high and use your wings!"

"Like a bird?" Johnny asked.

"I suppose... " Rainbow Dash answered with a shrug.

The black pegasus jumped and used his wings to flap like a bird. Once again, he managed to stay afloat for a short time, before falling down.

"Don't worry. Keep trying!" The blue mare encouraged the black stallion.

Johnny kept trying to fly. He jumped and flapped his wings numerous times, in an attempt to stay afloat. He kept trying and falling, yet that didn't discourage him. In fact, each attempt he took, he stayed afloat longer than before. Eventually, after so many attempts and more encouragement from Rainbow Dash, he jumped and used his wings again, though this time, he didn't fall. He managed to float completely.

"This is awesome! I can fly!" he was overjoyed by his accomplishment.

"Eh, this is only the beginning, you know? Try to fly for a while." Rainbow Dash reminded him that he needed to fly forward. The young pegasus did attempt to fly, albeit sloppily. He wobbled, as he was trying to balance himself. In fact, he was so close to falling down, before Rainbow Dash caught him.

"Well, your flying skills need some work." Rainbow Dash flew upside down a bit to remind him about his skills. Johnny didn't take it well a bit.

"Shut up…" he said in a peeved tone, with his cheeks going red a bit.

"Hi, Rainbow!"

Twilight came with Spike, just to see what she and Johnny are doing.

"I see that you are teaching him how to fly. " she said with a soft giggle.

"Well, he only got the basics." Rainbow scratched her head as she looked to Johnny, who looked annoyed. Twilight assured: "I know how you feel. When I first earned my wings, I was not used to flying. I kept losing balance, was out of sync and crashed numerous times. But after some time, practice and patience, I was finally able to master my flying skills. All you need to do is keep trying and be patient."

"Bla bla bla, I get it! Can I just continue?" The young stallion said in an impatient tone, as he crossed his arms.

"Hey, don't be cranky. You can't master it in one day, you know?" Rainbow Dash reminded.

"She has a point." Spike added.

"Come on. It wouldn't be that hard!" Johnny nonchalantly replied and started to fly around. "See? Too easy!"

As he soared around the clouds, he felt the exciting rush of his adrenaline pumping, As a pegasus, he felt….alive. However, his peace soon shattered, when he heard a terrifying voice in his head.

"Johnny…."

"W-what was that!?" He looked around, however he saw nothing. He flew to the left, so maybe he can concentrate on something else. But the voice didn't stop.

"You can't escape.."

The pegasus started to feel uneasy and before he knew it, he saw the clouds transforming into the same entities from his nightmares. They start to taunt him and humiliate every single bit of him, in order to crush his spirit.

"No...No! Not again!" Johnny was in disbelief. How could they still follow him, even after he left his own world behind? This was a question that he couldn't answer. Then the creature grabbed him and pulled him close to it, as he was struggling.

"No! Let me go!" He pleaded, as he was afraid again.

As soon, he hit the entity, he lost his coordination and began to fall. The voices got louder and louder as well as more demonic. Just like in his nightmare. But before he would fall into an abyss, he was suddenly caught by orbs of light.

"Johnny! Johnny! Can you hear me?"

It sounded different from the entities, however he was so dazed by the visions, that he couldn't tell the difference. It wasn't until he was slapped by the orbs, in which the black pony snapped himself back to reality. Turns out, the orbs of light were actually Rainbow and Twilight, holding him.

"Johnny, are you okay?" asked Rainbow.

"You suddenly lost your coordination and fell. Thankfully, we caught you before you crashed to the ground." said Twilight. "What's wrong?"

"Probably..got..disoriented…" He couldn't build his sentence properly, as he was still in a daze.

"Geez...Seems like, your head is also scattered…" Rainbow Dash sighed.

"Come on, everypony. We have to take him to Fluttershy's Cottage! She'll help him." said the purple alicorn and she, Rainbow Dash and Spike carried him on the way. Unbeknownst to them, they were watched by someone, whose tail raised from a bush. It was Dukey, who was hiding.

"Great….He's so close to having another breakdown…" he thought to himself.

Then, he remembered something more. In every memory, that Johnny was mentally tortured by everyone on the inside, he was there.

"I was there, when everything happened…I witnessed it all..."

Then, another memory came in, which happened during Johnny's mental breakdown. He was in the animal shelter, when he felt the painful ache in him for the first time.

"That was the first time, I felt that painful ache in me. I didn't know why it happened, until I witnessed him having a mental breakdown. Then the ache returned..."

He remembered the moment again of Dukey feeling the ache when he witnessed Johnny's breakdown for the first time, before he came back to the present. However, before he can think about a plan, a different memory flashed in front of his eyes. Unlike any other memories of the past, this one was blurry and vague. It was about some evil creatures, however they were unrecognizable. They were circling around him. The only time, they spoke was this:

"You dirty dog! You're nothing, but a devil's accessory!"

That memory sent chills to his spine, after he came back to reality. What's more, it was a different memory like no other.

"What the hell? What kind of memory was that?" he thought to himself. It left with more unanswered questions. Like who are those creatures and why was he there?. "Whatever it is, I still have to get to Johnny, before it's too late!"

The brown hybrid began to sprint as fast as he could. Halfway through, he suddenly bumped into someone. As he was rubbing his head to ease the pain, he saw the pony, who bumped into him: a lavender-colored unicorn mare with dark purple hair with light purple and light teal streaks.

"I'm so sorry!" Both said in unison, as they stood back up. They bowed their heads, only to them hitting each other by accident. As they groan in pain and rub their heads, the stallion reminded himself about his mission.

"Look, I would like to talk with you, but right now, I'm in a hurry!" said Dukey before running off, leaving the lavender mare wondering.


He kept running and running through the fields and eventually Ponyville, dodging every single obstacle and several ponies, one being a blue unicorn mare who was handing out flyers. His heart was racing, but he wouldn't know when it's too late. So he picked up more speed as he was running.

"I heard, they were headed to Fluttershy. But where exactly!?" He was questioning about the location. It was at this point that he stopped to ask some ponies.

"Excuse me, do you ponies have any idea, where Fluttershy lives? I'm just asking." he asked.

"She lives in her cottage. Go this way and you will find it." a kind earth pony answered.

"Thanks!" Dukey resumed running, after thanking the pony.

Eventually, after some time and avoiding some obstacles, he finally arrived at Fluttershy's cottage and took a break. After all, the path was exhausting for the hybrid. He hid in a nearby bush and moved to a nearby window, in order to observe and investigate. However, flashes of that unknown memory kept showing him. Each flash revealed a small detail: They all had red eyes. But he decided to swallow it down.

Inside of the cottage, Twilight, Rainbow, Spike, Fluttershy as well as several animals were watching the black pegasus resting on a couch.

"I wonder what's going on with him…" said the prismatic mare.

"We were all thinking the same thing, Rainbow Dash." Twilight replied.

"I hope he's gonna be okay…" said the shy mare in a quiet tone.

A young eagle, who Fluttershy was taking care of, was looking around a bit, before he looked at the black pony. At this point, it noticed that the pony is sweating. It flew to Fluttershy and called for her attention.

"What is it?" The shy pegasus mare looked at the eagle before it pointed at the pegasus stallion sweating and having an uneasy look on his face. "Uhm...girls?"

Twilight and Rainbow looked at the yellow mare before looking at Johnny.

"Uh-oh…." said Rainbow Dash.

At the same time, Dukey saw the event through the window.

"Damn it! He's really about to…" he said quietly.

They witness Johnny moving in a quick pace and mumbling "No!" and "Stop!" , while he's sweating in his sleep.

"I think he's having a nightmare!" Twilight assumed.

As the pacing got faster and more erratic, his rumblings became louder. It sounded like he was in peril. Around the same time, Dukey felt a massive headache, just by witnessing him. The mares backed off, as the pegasus stallion kept moving in a very erratic way.

"No! I need to stop it!" The earth pony stallion went around to find the door and opened it. Just in time for the pony to scream and wake up from the same time. That scream caused Dukey to have the ache again, only this time, it got worse. And before he knew it, flashes of memories appeared in front of him, as well as the unknown memory getting clearer.

It showed him in his dog form in a dark void. He looked confused and uneasy, until the voices could be heard.

"You can't escape…"

"You are nothing but a devil as well!"

As he saw the nightmarish creatures, they looked blurry. But upon closer inspection, he was able to recognize them as people from his past life in Porkbelly. Among them are Johnny's family members. However they look even more terrifying than the others, almost looking like devils from hell.

"Wait! No no no no! This can't be!" he spoke in denial, until he heard a familiar voice.

"Dukey, help!"

He looked back, only to see his best friend, Johnny being trapped in a dark orb. His hair was fuzzy, his clothes being ripped and having bruises and a few cuts. His eyes were filled with fear and tears. It's clear, that they're responsible for the torture.

"What have you done to him, you bastards!?" he shouted angrily.

"We're basically giving him justice." The demons replied.

"Justice?! What kind of shitty excuse is this!? This is torture!" he fired back.

The demons didn't say anything, other than a glare. He tried to charge, but he couldn't move.

"What the?! I can't move!" his voice started to the crack, when his expression turned into fear.

"You're next…" The demons lunged at him but before they could get him, he suddenly snapped himself back into reality, just in time to see Johnny, who is still a pony, looking cracked.

"Oh my goodness, are you okay!?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine…" Johnny replied.

"No, you're not!"

He looked around to see Dukey, who had a worried look on his face and tears on his eyes. In fact, everyone looked at him.

"Dukey, what are you doing here?" Twilight asked, before being shoved away.

"Yeah, what are you-" Before he could finish asking the question, his friend interrupted him.

"Johnny, stop lying all the time! I know, you can't hide it forever! If you keep doing this, then it would get worse!"

"What?" the black pegasus acts confused. But before he could say something, Dukey interrupted him once again.

"No! Don't you see!? YOU'RE PRETTY MUCH DESTROYING YOURSELF! I know that it's hard, but that doesn't mean, you have to hide it!" he yelled.

Soon, the young stallion snapped: "Hey! Watch it!"

Dukey yelled back with: "NO! YOU SHOULD WATCH IT! YOU REALLY NEED TO COME OUT NOW!"

Fluttershy hid behind Twilight in fear and Rainbow Dash was just as shocked as her friends and the animals.

"Guys... " Twilight tried to get their attention, in order to stop the argument, but it fell on deaf ears. She tried again, but failed.

"You know, you're starting to get on my nerves!" the black pony responded.

"QUIET!"

A yell from Twilight managed to silence the two from arguing.

"What's with the fighting?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Ask him.." the earth pony hybrid pointed at Johnny and the mares, Spike and the animals all looked at him.

"Johnny, is there something, we didn't know?" Spike asked.

The young pegasus was sweating really hard, as he tried to find an excuse.

"Shit...They're so close to finding out the truth! Maybe I can…uhm..uhh.. Great, I can't find any excuses!"

"Seriously!? You can't find anything? Just admit it!" Johnny heard his best friend talking to him in a loud manner.

"Why can't you guys just leave me alone?!" he snapped. The room fell into silence.

The animals started to get scared and the mares were speechless. Suddenly, without a word, Dukey ran away, feeling hurt. It was at this point, that Johnny felt regretful.

"Dukey, no!" he reached his hoof, but he knew that he would not come back.

Suddenly, his sight faded in and out, as he heard the voice in his head, taunting him

"Haha! Now you did it! You scared your friend away! How does that feel, you devil?"

The voice became louder, as it laughed evilly. He immediately covered his ears, but he could still hear it. Soon, more voices started to taunt him and before he knew it, he saw the creatures, laughing and circling around the young pony.

"No! Leave me alone!" he pleaded, but it fell on deaf ears.

As the loud voices kept echoing in his head, he ducked down. Soon, they got closer and closer and with it, his fear became larger and larger. Eventually, it was too much for him and he screamed very loudly. Meanwhile, while the ponies and Spike couldn't see the creatures, they jumped at the scream. Before they could ask him of what's going on, he quickly flew and broke through the seal.

"Johnny, wait!" said the young dragon.

"Rainbow, find him and try to calm him down." Twilight talked to her friend.

"Got it!" The blue mare flew through the hole as fast as she could.

"What's going on?..." Fluttershy asked.


Meanwhile, Johnny was sitting in a dark room, having a somber expression on his face.

"Fuck….what have I done?..." he said to himself.

Eventually, he started to cry. It seems like his spirit has been broken…


To be continued...

Author's Note:

Oh boy.

This was the longest chapter, I have written so far. It took nearly like 11 pages to do so!

In the next chapter, the Mane 6 will try to find him as well as uncover the truth behind the story. Will they manage to get him out of the darkness? Find out next time! in Chapter 4: A Cry for Help!

Have a nice day!