• Published 31st May 2020
  • 1,780 Views, 178 Comments

Flurry Heart - Buttery Biscuit



Cadence is stressed out, she has an alicorn baby to raise. Just when she thought the situation couldn't get any worse, she is called upon to solve a problem of love. Discord and Sombra's love problem.

  • ...
2
 178
 1,780

Monopony part 1

Cadence, Shining, Discord, and Sombra were all just staring at each other, why? Well, there wasn’t anything else to do. Flurry was down for her nap. It was also Cadence and Shining's day off, a day they finally started taking off. For real off, no working on anything they thought was productive. They had learned that lesson after working themselves so hard they needed a vacation. Now their only responsibility was Flurry, and they finally stuck to that. It was hard at first, trying to ignore the world. But in the end, it made them more productive when they were working.

“So….now what?” Cadence asked she was quite bored. She needed something to do.

“I have no idea” Sombra stated, the last break was a vacation that lasted all day and was quite fun.

“We started playing games recently, we could do that,” Cadence answered, she really had no other ideas. It was the first thing to come to her mind. Every creature at this table loved games so why not.

“I think we should play this.” Discord said as a mischievous smile drew upon his face. He snapped up a box of Monopony.

"Let me go get some more players,” Cadence said as she teleported away and back. She came back with Ivy and a guard. “This is Spear Roaster.”

"Epic name,” Discord added. "I’m Sombra and that’s Discord,” Discord said as he called himself Sombra and Sombra Discord. He looked over the guard once more to realize that he knew his face, but not his name.

"Stop messing with him, he obviously knows which one of us is Sombra," Sombra said, Spear most likely already knew who was who. They did live in the Crystal Empire. Then he turned to look, and look again as he recognized the stallion in front of him. It was that one guard. The one who wanted to check on the KIngdom and suggested that the game of freeze tag be played with the whole Kingdom. "Hello again." He said as he wondered if Discord recognized him too.

"I am not messing with him!" Discord claimed in a shocked voice though he wasn't all that shocked.

"Are too," Sombra said in an accusing tone.

"Am not," Discord insisted. Trying his best to act as innocently as possible.

"Are too," Sombra exclaimed, now frustrated more than anything else.

"Guys!" Cadence yelled and they both froze, stopping immediately. "No fighting."

"Sorry." They said in-sink. Though they continued to glare at one another.

"Well, it's nice to meet you both. I'm glad you think my name is epic Sombra" he said as he approached Discord and shook his claw.

Discord scoffed and Sombra rolled his eyes, staring at spear Sombra said "really?"

Spear just snorted "I'm teasing I know your Sombra. We did meet beforehoof." He said as he approached Sombra, this time it was actually Sombra. He shook his hoof anyway and loudly said "I call the cloud!"

"I’ll take the bow-tie," Shining said, adding his piece to go.

"I call the Discord piece!" Discord exclaimed.

"But Discord their isnt-" Cadence began to say before she was rudely interrupted with a snap. She stared down at the Monopony piece that Discord created." Well, I guess there is now."

"I’ll take the dog," the group stared at Sombra in surprise. They had all expected him to take the crystal piece. "What, the dog is cute." He said as he picked it up and placed it on go.

"I will take the crystal," Ivy said as she collected her piece and placed it on go.

"Can you make me a cupcake piece Discord?" Cadence asked. She wanted a customized piece too.

"Yes I can," Discord snapped and a cupcake piece appeared onto go.

"Thank you!” Cadence rolled the die, “three...Crystal Caves. I’ll buy it!” Cadence said as she gave Sombra the bits.

Sombra smiled "guess I'll be the bank then." He said as he grabbed the bits from Cadence. He didn't mind all that much though, as lame as it was he found math fun.

He gave her the card, and he rolled, “eight, ooo doubles. Cutie Mark Crusaders Clubhouse, I’ll buy it.” Sombra said as he rolled again, this time it was a four. “Las Pegasus,” he said, “I’ll take that too."

Shining rolled next “Four…. Auction House, pay 200 bits.” Shining rolled his eyes as he gave Sombra the bits. "Uhg." He said with frustration, which only grew as he heard giggles surround him.

Spear Roaster picked up the dice and tossed them, “sweet doubles!” He said as he moved his piece eight spaces, “chaos.” He picked up a card from the chaos pile, “your hooves are now cupcakes. Pay 20 bits for the cure.” He gave Sombra his bits and rolled again. “Four...another double. Oh, no one more and I go to Tartarus.” He joked, “Doctor Hoove's lab 150, I’ll take it.” Spear shook his head and rolled again but instantly regretted joking about Tartarus. “Eight...doubles again” he sighed as he moved his piece to Tartarus.

"Weeewooo weeewoo,” Discord sang.

“Hey join the club” Sombra joked. "Cell 237-A113-42, we could be neighbors."

Cadence stared wide-eyed at Sombra, "was..was that your actual cell number?"

"Yup, the higher the number the better the cell was supposed to be but Tartarus is very dark. It was fairly easy to get out of my cell using my shadow magic. Not that they particularly cared." Sombra added casually, of course, he remembered his cell number. Why wouldn't he?

"Why not?" Ivy asked she was just as curious as Cadence was. She knew next to nothing about Sombra and Discord. This was a chance to learn more about Sombra.

"Well when I was in Tartarus, it was survival of the fittest. If you stayed in your cage you'd die, if you left you'd die. It was creature against creature. No creature came and visited, no creature brought any supplies. Cockatrices are very delicious, more delicious than they seem. Do not tell Fluttershy that, she thinks I raised them for fun. I wanted to compare and contrast the difference between raising chickens and raising Cockatrices. She was so excited, I did not have the heart to tell her I was eating them." Sombra said a little less casually. He shifted in his seat slightly as he started to feel uncomfortable. He didn't talk about his time in Tartarus that much for a slew of reasons. That being one of them.

Ivy picked up the die and rolled though she was more interested in Sombra than in the game right now. "Sounds awful."

"Well, that was the point, if you did get out they didn't want you to cause further issues. Call it motivation if you wish. The place is like a spa now, food, water, your own quarters. The motivation has changed instead of throwing you in there and hoping you die, they try to reform you." Sombra said with a frown as he shifted in his seat some more, he was starting to regret bringing this up.

"What makes you say that?" Cadence asked as Ivy moved her piece forward.

"The stallion that created Tartarus was a hateful, vengeful cult and it was supposed to house only one creature, but he ceased to exist, so they repurposed it. Celestia is much more forgiving, kinder, friendlier." Sombra said as he shifted back and forth more often. He really shouldn't have brought this up. How was he supposed to leave this conversation without it becoming awkward?

"So how did you get out?" Ivy asked as she gave Sombra the bits needed to buy Ponyville station.

Sombra gave her the card. "Discord." He felt bad for throwing all the attention to Discord, but he didn't know what else to do. He wanted out of that conversation, and he knew Discord could help him get out, so he threw him right into the center of attention. Plus it was true.

Discord smiled sheepishly and shrugged, "that was before I was reformed." His eyes went wide and his smile turned more genuine. "Finally my turn!” Discord impatiently rolled the die, “five..aw man.” Discord huffed as he handed 10 bits to Ivy.

"Thannnnnkkkkk you!” Ivy snickered at him.

"So you knew each other back then? I guess it makes sense then, why you two became friends so quickly." Cadence said as she rolled the die. “Ooo doubles!!” She said as she moved her piece eight. “Fillydelphia..I’ll buy it.” She said as she rolled once more “six...Friendship Test.” Cadence said as she drew a friendship card from the pile. “You helped your friend with her homework. Collect a hundred bits. Yay!”

Sombra rolled his dice, “yes we did. Six...Ever Free Forest I'll take it.” He said as he levitated the dice over to Shining.

Shining rolled next, “huh I didn't know that. How long have you known each other? Three…. Chaos. Proceed to the next train station. Canterlot, I’ll take it.” He said as he hoofed over the bits to Sombra.

"A long time," Sombra said as he felt his regret rise once more. He should have just ignored Cadence when he had the chance. He tried his best to change the conversation. "Spear I believe it is your turn."

Spear Roaster rolled next and sighed, he hoped for doubles, but he ended up with none which meant he was in jail. "Well shit."

“I’ll pay for you if you promise the next spot you land on, you let me buy it.” Sombra offered, as a plan formed in his mind. His attention was now on the game.

"Ok!” Spear roaster said it was a pretty sweet deal in his eyes. He watched as Sombra put the bits needed in the bank.

"Fantastic. Just go the spaces you rolled." Sombra smiled, he was glad Spear did not realize what he was planing. For Spear would have said no, but it wasn't Sombra's fault Spear wasn't paying attention.

“Appleloosa." Spear said with a sigh. Sombra planned this didn't he, he should have seen it coming. Spear was too excited to get out of Tartarus.

“I’ll take it,” Sombra said as he deposited the bits needed into the bank.

Ivy picked up the die next and rolled, “five, just visiting Tartarus.” She elected to say nothing about that, she refused to make her friends uncomfortable, and it was clear that Sombra was. Even if it meant she didn't learn more about them.

Discord picked up the die so fast he could be considered a blur, even though he suggested this game. He was starting to get a bit bored with it, “yay, it's my turn again, doubles!” He said as he moved 12, “friendship test...you passed your friendship test collect 20 bits. Woohoo!” He cheered as he rolled again. “Three...Random Cloud, aw how boring.”

Cadence giggled and rolled next, she wished she could ask more questions about Sombra's past, but she felt that the conversation had turned. She didn't know how to bring it up again without it being awkward, especially after Sombra changed the conversation back to the game. Her time would have been at the previous turn, not now, but she had been distracted. “Eight...Crystal Empire Station, well, I will buy it. All-though I do already own it.”

Discord snorted, "no if we played by real-life Sombra and I would lose quite a few turns.” He joked.

Cadence couldn't let this moment slip by. It was her opportunity to ask something she had always wondered "and how was that, compared to Tartarus?" That was a question she regretted asking as silence hung in the air. She saw the surprised look on both of Sombra's and Discord's faces.

"Well, would you look at that its Shining’s turn." Discord said as he grabbed the dice off the table and gave them to Shining. Sombra just sat there and silently stared into the table, he did not seem to mind that they skipped his turn.

Shining knew that they were uncomfortable by the looks on their faces. He knew Sombra had been for a while because of his constant shifting but that question went too far. He wondered why his wife kept pushing them for information, he assumed it was important. While he would normally side with her, even join her. Sombra and Discord had become his friends. He hated to see them so uncomfortable, so he elected to move on with the situation. He cast the die, “eight...Crystal Castle. Ha! Look honey I guess we can rule together!” he said as he tried his best to change the subject.

Cadence smiled but on the inside, she felt guilty. She had pressed too hard and too much but at least she learned something. She felt like their past would give her a glimpse into why she still felt so off. Why she felt like she didn't complete her mission of love. “We’ll pay half-and-half on the other one! Then we can rule the Crystal Empire spaces together.”

"Is that allowed?" Ivy asked as she helped move the game along.

"Eh, why not." Discord said, more than glad that the attention was back onto the game. He had wanted it to get interesting, but not like this.

Spear took the die next, he followed the others hoofsteps and decided not to push the topic any further. “Three...Froggy Bottom Bogg I’ll take it.”

Ivy cast her die, “six..Ghastly Gorge I’ll take it.” She smiled, she found this game pretty fun.

Discord took the die and gave it a shake “Three...Crystal Libary...I'll take it!” He said as he gave the cash to Sombra and took his property.

Cadence cast the die next, “seven….Library of Magic. I’ll take it!” She had no reason not to buy it up.

Sombra rolled next, "ten...school of friendship. I’ll pass."

Shining’s eyebrow rose in confusion as he rolled “but you have the bits for it.”

“The space just isn’t worth the bits spent on it,” Sombra answered in the hopes to clear Shining's confusion.

“I guess so, Ten...Friendship Test. You go to a party. Pay every player 10 bits. Shit!” he heard giggles from all of his friends around the table. Most of them attempted to stifle their giggles except for Spear and Discord who freely laughed it up.

Spear rolled and tried to speak his best between his hearty bout of giggles, “six…..doubles! Cloudsdale….I'll….I'll take it.” He rolled again as he breathed slow breaths to try and calm himself down, “School for Gifted Unicorns.” He noticed his bits starting to dwindle, “I’ll have to pass.”

“Har har you all won’t be laughing when I win!” Shining exclaimed, more determined than ever to beat everyone’s flanks.

“Oh please everyone knows it's me that really runs this empire,” Cadence said with an evil smirk on her face.

“OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ouch.” Discord added as he decided not to help the situation. This was the type of interesting he desired.

Shining just glared at them all, he will win! He will show them, he will show them all!

Ivy tried her best to stifle her laughter, she decided to take a shot at her brother just like Cadence took one at her husband. “And you do actually have to pass Spear. You're going to go broke if you're not careful brother. She smirked as giggles filled the air and confidence filled her soal. "10….Cloudsdale. Dammit.”

The laughter multiplied as Spear pointed out the obvious, "You jinxed yourself, Ivy, maybe you should be more careful. Fork it over."

"Screw you," Ivy exclaimed as she paid ironic justice. She was not too happy about that. She felt motivated. She would win, she would show them all. Ivy the great and terrible, her new name after she destroyed them all, at Monopony.

Discord giggled heavily during his roll, this was fun. He breathed slowly, so he would calm down just enough to announce his roll, “Restaurant Row, I’ll take it.” His face started to hurt from all the smiling, he was glad he suggested this game.

Cadence snorted as she found Discord’s struggle to stop laughing just as funny as the situation itself. It took her a second before she realized it was her turn. She gave the die a roll, “four Chaos…..your heart is now a squeaky toy, collect 15 bits.”

Discord smiled as he increased his heartbeat loud enough so the sound filled the room, "hey now we are twinsies!"

Candace just smiled, she didn't realize he was being serious and that his heart really was a squeaky toy. "You are a silly creature. I like you!" She exclaimed and she wasn’t lying. Discord made her days so interesting and in a good way, compared to surprises she was accustomed to. Like burned down castles or frozen ponies for example.

Discord stalled for a few seconds; he wasn't sure how to respond to that. Eventually, he went with, "Thanks. I am pretty great." He was still getting used to all the kindness he received, and sometimes he didn’t know what to do or how to respond, but he was getting better at it.

Sombra rolled his eyes and then his die, “four….Badlands. I’ll take it.” He had plans, plans to show them all. He would win, he was sure of it. His plan was full proof, he knew it would be him.

"Hey!" Cadence yelled as her attention drifted from Discord’s oddness to Sombra. He took the space she needed for a Monopony. How dare he, she’ll show him.

"And I’ll offer it to you, for that pink piece. That pink piece and 100 bits," Sombra added. It wasn't a bad deal for her and an even better one for him. For he two would have a Monopony.

"DEAL!" Cadence said excitedly, she was going to run this board. She will win, she will show them all.

"Fantastic that means you and I are the only ones with Monoponies.” Sombra bragged freely, he was starting to feel pretty confident about his situation. Maybe he would actually win!!

"I guess it is, must mean we are just too good at this game." Cadence giggled as she too joined Sombra in town de-la-brag.

Sombra just smiled, "I guess we are, my time as a king has taught me much."

Ivy made a noise that sounded close to "PFFFT." The table just stared at her in response "oh yeah like what?"

Sombra put a hoof to his mouth as he tried to think of a silly answer, "ponies complain a lot. Oh nooo don't make me a slave. Try it I say, you might like it."

Discord smiled mischievously, oh he could not let such an opportunity go, "kinky."

Sombra didn't breathe, it was more like he choked on air, and Shining didn't roll it, was more like he dropped his die in shock. Every pony else's jaws just dropped as the conversation took an unexpected turn.

"Discord!" Sombra said, as soon as he could breathe normally. "You perverted creature!" He pointed a hoof at Discord accusingly.

"Hey I didn't say anything, I implied it! You took it out of context." Discord suggested as his smile grew bigger and more mischievous.

"How on Celestia's green earth did I take that out of context?" Sombra asked he would like to hear Discord worm his way out of this one. Maybe this time he could get Discord to admit to his shenanigans.

"I meant my tail." Discord said as he lifted his tail to show that it had a kink in it. "I have no idea what you were thinking."

"You did too, I could see the chaos written all over your face," Sombra said as the tone of his voice rose, not quite yelling but it was stern and frustrated.

"It isn't but I could write it on my face if it makes you feel better, pervert." Discord smiled at Sombra, he loved messing with him. He always had, it was just too easy. Plus he knew Sombra was trying to get him to admit to his shenanigans, he didn’t know why, but he knew he was trying.

"I am not a pervert!" Sombra said as he glared Discord down. He knew he was being messed with, and he would most likely not get Discord to admit to is chaos now, but he was too irritated to let it go.

"Are too, "Discord said as he shapeshifted into Sombra. "Look I'm a pervert now too, to make you feel better." Discord chuckled.

"Boys!" Cadence yelled, she had just gotten out of her state of shock. Really it was the faces of her friends that drove her out of it. She realized they had no idea what to do, but she did, "no fighting now Sombra apologize to Sombra," she joked.

"Sorry.” They said together as they just glared each other down, eventually, the room erupted in laughter once more.

After every creature had calmed down the game had started up again with Shining’s turn, “seven...i landed on go.” He was smiling like a fiend, he was more determined than ever to win.

Spear went next, he cast his die onto the table, “four...Canterlot Station. I’ll take it.” He could afford this spot, and he needed as many as he could get. That way he would win.

Ivy rolled next, and she hoped for the best, “five...School for Gifted Unicorns. I’ll take it.” It wasn’t what she was hoping for, but she took it anyway. Just to be sure.

Discord rolled next, content with the chaos that just happened. Though that didn’t mean he wasn’t plotting for more. One could never have too much chaos, “six! Wonderbolts i’ll take it."

Cadence rolled next “five that's my spot and I passed go! I think I'll buy two houses!” She said as she forked over the cash to Sombra. This caused an unspoken tension as the motivation to win the game was increased tenfold.

Shining rolled next, “five…” He sighed with disappointment.

Spear smiled at his monarch, he considered this a little revenge. Revenge for all those drills on hot days. “Pay up.” He snorted, while he knew what he signed up for when he entered the guard he couldn’t help but feel some satisfaction at Shining’s unfortunate situation. He took the die next, casting it across the table, “five, I also landed on go.” While he didn’t get any properties he was glad to have a good amount of cash back.

Ivy rolled and her heartbeat quickened as she saw the number “six...School of Friendship!” She said excitedly, then she took one look at her bits. She went from excited to disappointed “oh but I can't afford it.”

Sombra cracked a smile as he saw an opportunity for the taking, “I’ll pay half for a favor. The next three areas you land that aren't already owned on I have the option of buying it.”

Ivy’s stomach turned, was this a good idea? It could be, it also could be detrimental. She decided to weigh the pros and cons. Pros: she would own one of the best spots on the board, she would own it at half the price, she would have a great advantage if she could get that Monopony. Cons: Sombra was clearly planning or at least hoping for something. “Okay,” she really hoped that this would pay off. She hoofed over the bits to the bank then watched as Sombra paid the rest of it. Tension rose even further as every-creature became very cautious of Sombra.

Discord rolled next and saw his own opportunity, it was for chaos. “Five...Castle of Friendship, I'll take it,” he laughed. He took the spot Ivy needed for her Monopony.

“You did that on purpose, trade me!!” Ivy yelled at Discord,

“We’ll see.” Discord teased, though it would take a lot to get that space from him. It was more interesting if he held it rather than Ivy.

Cadence took the die from the table and rolled. She smiled, Discord’s shenanigans could end up benefiting her in the long run. So she let him do his thing, chaos. “Just visiting Tartarus.”

“Don't you do that anyway?” Sombra asked, she had asked him questions. It made sense in his head that he should ask her some too. Get to know her better, he was also curious.

“Yes, actually it’s part of being a Princess,” Cadence answered she asked no questions back for she felt guilty.

Sombra cocked his eyebrow as he asked “princess of love right? You know I have done your schedule for that but I have never seen you work. How do you determine matters of love?” He asked as he landed on his own spot Fillydelphia. He then paid the bank what was needed to lay three houses down on his monopoly.

It was Cadence's turn to feel uncomfortable as she felt her heart sink. She didn’t want to lie to them, but she didn’t want to tell them the truth. They might figure out why they were here. “It just sort of calls me, like a feeling. From there I just follow my magic, it leads me to where I need to be. Tells me what I need to know, sort of. It surprisingly takes a lot more guesswork than you would think.”

“Huh, that’s actually very interesting. Is it the same for all the other Princesses?” Sombra asked.

Spear took his roll during the conversation, “six...Sugar Cube Corner. Damn.” He said as his eyes dashed over to Sombra.

Cadence's eyes went wide as she realized something sort of ridiculous, “you know what I have never asked, or bothered to compare.” Maybe that’s something she should do, she wondered how different her magic was from all the other Princesses.

“Oh. Well if you find out let me know, I’m very curious about the answer.” Sombra said as he wondered why Cadence had never thought to do that. He would have done it if he were a princess. “Cough it up, Spear.”

Spear sighed as he handed over the money to Sombra, he was not happy about the situation. While he wanted to win, badly. He didn’t think it was possible anymore.

Ivy snickered at her brother's demise as her roll hit the table, “Friendship Test….i helped my friend during a hard time. Receive 100. Sweet!” That only made Ivy smile.

Discord rolled “Chaos...oooo yay. You made it rain chocolate milk collect 50$” He smiled as he took the money from Sombra.

Ivy looked up at Discord with all the hope of a small filly “you can actually do that right?” She asked.

“Yes, I can!” Discord exclaimed proudly.

Ivy’s eyes went wide “can...can I have some?”

Discord smiled, his chaos was something that was wanted around here. Ever since his first pranking spree ponies have been asking him to do crazy things. They even join in from time to time although his number one partner in crime was Flurry Heart. It was weird at first, to be so popular but now he loved it. “SURE!” He said as he snapped up a glass and a cloud “poke it to turn it on and off. Also, I made it so you won’t get sick, have as much as you so desire.”

Ivy smiled so wide she almost beat the average Pinkie Pie smile. She put the glass under the cloud and tapped onto it, it rained chocolate milk right into her glass, and she gasped with delight. “I LOVE THIS! You are THE BEST!” She said as she chugged down a glass only to refill it and chug it down once more.

“I want some!’ The rest of the table yelled in-sink, causing Discord to smile even more. “Sure!” He said as he did the same for them. He always assumed Pinkie Pie would be the one and only exception, the only one to ask for chaos. It seemed like he was wrong, which made him happy. He was glad he was wrong. The game was once again interrupted as a chocolate milk break was taken.

Author's Note:

This would have been over 8k words for one chapter had I not split it into two. That's a lot so split it is. If you disagree I will combine them. Also, have a Monopony board.