• Published 31st May 2020
  • 1,780 Views, 178 Comments

Flurry Heart - Buttery Biscuit



Cadence is stressed out, she has an alicorn baby to raise. Just when she thought the situation couldn't get any worse, she is called upon to solve a problem of love. Discord and Sombra's love problem.

  • ...
2
 178
 1,780

Windows

It was just a normal average day, those are the days that it gets you. The unexpected. That is just what happened. Discord was doing his brand new job, well it wasn’t all that new, he had been doing it for a couple of months now. He won't lie at first it was terribly boring but now he was loving it. Flurry was chaos, just unfiltered utter chaos. Oh, the shenanigans they caused together when they went pranking.

She even loved his magic, which only melted Discord’s heart more, not that many creatures enjoyed his magic so purely. She would often demand it, that or his attention. It was great, how could he not love her? It wasn’t all that hard to take care of her. She set fires from time to time but it wasn’t all that bad. He put them out pretty quickly, no creature ever noticed.

The memories of those fires were starting to fade, becoming merely funny stories to the staff of Cadence’s temporary clumsiness. That’s what she told them, that she kept knocking and tripping over candles. Discord couldn’t believe that her citizens believed that, it was so blatantly a lie. Maybe more ponies were on her side then she thought and every creature was pretending it was her.

He could not be sure but as he looked down at the bundle of chaos. He couldn’t help but feel a surge of protectiveness and love, he hadn't really planned for this. He really didn’t plan much, it wasn’t very chaotic. Using spells you don’t fully understand, that’s chaotic and also irresponsible. Something he had a better grasp on, was that a good thing? He did not know. He was sure that it had to do with the spell he put on Flurry, he put a tracker on her to let him know if she was ever in trouble. He did it on a whim so Cadence would feel better and stop crying. Now he wasn’t totally sure that’s all it was, his new theory is that he accidentally marked her as his own. Maybe?

“Aruoueoiur.”

Discord sighed as Flurry made noises at him. It didn’t matter much now, it was too late to go back, he was already deep into the lie Cadence was selling to the creatures around her. He already promised, he was already helping. He still hated having to lie to Fluttershy, but he had to now.

Poof

Discord looked down at his empty arms, Flurry was gone again. His eyes lit up as he focused on getting her out of the ether. A yellow ball formed in his claw and paw, he looked down to see nothing. Nothing was there, he had done the spell correctly. Flurry should be in the middle of the ball. He...hadn’t pulled her out of the ether. Discord started to panic that spell always worked. His eyes glowed green.

“Yes, Discord?” Sombra said, why had he been summoned here? He was busy helping Cadence and Shining. Running a few errands that they didn’t have time to run themselves.

“It’s Flurry. I tried to pull her back from the ether with the spell but she didn’t come back.” He said showing Sombra the empty yellow ball of magic that was supposed to contain Flurry.

“Oh shit” Sombra said realizing what this meant, Flurry was somewhere, doing something. What, and where they did not know. “We have to find her.”

SMASH

“I don’t think we do,” Discord said as he heard the smashing of windows. It was coming from the throne room. He took off, Sombra not far behind him. They teleported straight into the throne room to see Flurry hovering herself above some broken glass.

“Flurry no!” Sombra said as he trotted over to her, activating the same spell Discord used. His eyes glowed red as he focused on what he wanted to happen. Flurry to end up in his magic, he cast it and Flurry teleported away. She wasn’t in his magic but across the room.

SMASH SMASH SMASH

Three more windows broke, glass flew everywhere but Discord and Sombra shielded Flurry. They stood in front of her, blocking her from potential danger. The explosions she was causing were huge, so huge that she almost burned herself with the first one she made. So the dived in front of every explosion they could after that. Their thoughts on her and her alone, they had to make sure that she wasn't hurt. That she wouldn't be caught.

SMASH SMASH

Flurry had once again teleported away at least it was the last of the windows. Although they were glad that was the case she was currently hovering over more broken glass. Which caused them to go back to being anxious.

“AH!” Sombra yelled, in a panic he threw twice the magic he normally would into his spell. The spell that brought Flurry to them and out of the ether. There she was in his magic, he took one look at Discord. “I….had to double the amount of magic to get her in there. She’s...she’s getting stronger.” He turned and stared at the glass on the floor. “We have to cover for her!”

“I’ll rebuild one half, you rebuild the other half.” Discord suggested, well he meant to, but really it was the only option. He used his magic and whatever glass he could find to replace the windows. The once broken glass was now solid chaotic patterns of colors and shapes that resembled a kaleidoscope.

“Ok,” Sombra focused his magic on the other windows. He had no better ideas so he just followed Discord’s lead. His magic formed windows that resembled billowing smoke. He also used whatever glass he could find to help form the windows.

That left just the two of them and some missing glass. They knew some glass was missing because they had to use their magic to form the windows to completion. If they could just find those pieces they could possibly change the windows back to what they originally were. Oh and Cadence. She would have to be-

“I heard the sound of-” Cadence gasped at the sight, you think she would notice the windows first but she didn’t. She noticed Discord and Sombra covered in glass, bleeding,. “Discord! Sombra! Are you ok?!” She ran to them and looked them over. There was glass in their limbs, back, even some in their face and hair.

“Yes? Why would we not be?” Sombra asked, was something wrong?

"You don’t feel that?" Cadence asked with concern, it looked like it had hurt and badly. How could they not notice?

"Feel what?" They both asked confused as to what they were missing.

"You guys are covered in glass! We have to get it out. What happened?" Wow, was it because they were powerful that they didn't feel it? Or maybe it was adrenaline? Cadence thought to herself that it was most likely adrenaline.

"It was Flurry she broke all the windows, don’t worry-" Discord started to explain before he was interrupted by Cadence.

"Were you protecting her? Is that why you are hurt?" Cadence said, oh no. She hadn't wanted this to happen. She wanted them to be filled with love, not glass.

"She was exploding them and she got really close to the explosions." Sombra explained, "we just...we didn't want her to get hurt."

"Flurry Heart no that’s bad. Look at what you did to Sombra and Discord!” Cadence scolded Flurry.

Discord and Sombra hated when she had to do that, they knew why Cadence scolded her daughter. She had told them before if you weren’t firm with Flurry she wouldn’t know it was wrong but that didn’t mean they liked it. They hated it because she would always-

"Waaaaa."

Cry, their ears flattened and Cadence noticed immediately and teleported Flurry away. “Shining will take care of it. I need to take care of you. Let's get that out of you.” She said as she levitated a first aid kit from the wall in the throne room. She always kept one handy and it reminded Discord of Fluttershy and her first aid kit for her furry friends.

“Now let's get that glass out.” She said as she took out a pair of tweezers and looked closely at Discord’s tail. It had three pieces in it. She quickly removed them as she did for his arms, back, hair and there was one even in his ear. She made sure to disinfect every spot she removed the glass from. He hadn't moved an inch, not even so much as a flinch. He should have felt something, but he didn't. Cadence was no longer sure it was adrenalin, maybe it was power.

“You know I could just snap it out.” Discord suggested Flurry's alphabet blocks hurt more than this did.

“No, I want to be extra sure you are ok.” Cadence insisted as she took one last glance over him to make sure he wasn't hurt anywhere else.

"I assure you I will be fine if I do that. " Discord sighed, he wasn't sure what the problem was. He thought she trusted him, maybe she trusted him but didn't trust his magic? That didn't really make a lot of sense, he was his magic. While he was all for not making sense normally. He was more frustrated by the confusion her statement brought. Why was she doing this?

"I know you will be but what if you miss a piece or worse! You could get an infection!" Cadence said as she fretted over him just like she would Flurry. What if something happened, and when he cast the spell it didn't work? Cadence wanted to be sure he would be ok, no taking risks.

"Cadence I'm 100 percent sure I will not get an infection. Do you think my powers can't do it right because they are chaotic? I do know basic healing magic." Discord rolled his eyes, only getting more agitated.

"No Discord, I know you can do it. As a mother, I just worry about these things. I like to take the extra step to make sure you will be ok. I care.” She said as she removed the last of the glass from Discord's arms. She approached Sombra next only for him to turn away from her.

Discord was going to protest, maybe ask some more questions when Sombra took all of his attention. "Ohhhh shit Sombra there's glass in your back. It's....really in there."

"Oh no no nonononononono you are not touching me!" Sombra said as he backed away from Cadence and toward Discord.

"Sombra I have to get the glass out," Cadence protested, why was he so sensitive about this? Just another question that had no answer. She had a lot of those these days. It really made her angry, was it because he didn't trust her?

Sombra figitated back and forth "Fine!" He had given in and let her take care of him, it kinda surprised him that she wanted to. He turned around, causing Cadence to gasp in surprise. Discord was right, it was really in there.

Cadence picked up her tweezers "Breathe slowly Sombra, try to focus on Discord. This will most likely hurt."

Discord waved to Sombra, all of his focus shifted to his best friend. Poor stallion.

Sombra looked at Discord and tried his best to ignore Cadence. “so uh how was your DAY” he said as his eyes rolled back into his head and tears fell down his face. “Ow.”

Discord frowned, “sorry Sombra that would have hurt even if I snapped it out.”

“I know.” Sombra breathed heavily as he wiped the tears from his eyes. “That super hurt.”

Cadence just stared at both of them. While she wasn't happy with the situation Flurry caused. She was happy that she made some progress with them. They had let her take care of them in the end, and while it was a small step it was a step in the right direction. They had been living with her for a couple of months now and she wanted them to feel that they belonged here. Welcomed and comfortable around her, her husband, and their subjects. She could not escape the feeling that they were not that. Well, Sombra was, Discord seemed like he was more relaxed around her and Flurry. She also couldn't escape the thought that she was still missing something from the equation. Something that she was missing in her mission to bring them love. For the first time she looked over to the windows and her jaw dropped an all thoughts left her head. The windows were so beautiful, she felt grander somehow. "How?" She said pointing at the windows with her hoof.

"Oh yeah, we put them back together with our magic and the glass we could find. We could probably reverse it now that we have all the pieces back," Sombra offered.

"No." Cadence said with a smile.

"No?" Discord asked back to being confused instead of concerned. He was going through a lot of emotions today it seemed. That fact aggravated him and the fact that fact aggravated him just aggravated him more. He tried not to think about it too hard and just focused on the windows "well what do you want us to do with them?" He couldn't help the angry tone of his voice.

Cadence noticed he was angry but could not discern why. "I love them. do you think we can show Celestia? I wanna show off my new windows."

"You want to keep them?" Discord asked even more confused than before, "why?" No creature wanted his magic to stick around, while fun at the moment. Eventually, creatures would want Discord's chaos to go away.

"I just said that they were beautiful, they are grand, they are amazing. I love them very much, I think I'll keep them like this." Cadence said with a smile. "I truly love them."

"No one...has ever like my magic," Sombra said as he looked to Cadence, to Discord then at the windows. Eventually, he looked back to Cadence "you really like them?" It was a first for him, to have someone like what he did with his magic. It made his heart swell with happiness.

"Of course I do, they are amazing. I just have to show them off. Could you bring Celestia, Luna, Twilight and her friends here Discord? Also, could you put up curtains? I want it to be a surprise, reveal it to them."

"Okay." Discord said not really sure of how he felt. Cadence liked his magic, thought it was beautiful, wanted to keep it around. Something he also never heard before. His head swam with thoughts but mostly he was just unsure. Unsure what to do or say, he knew they were allies. He knew that she tolerated him, but did she actually appreciate his presence? Or was she just tolerating him again? He was so lost, he couldn't tell if she was being genuine or not. In a snap, every pony Cadence asked to be there was there and curtains were lined up in from of her windows.

"This brings back memories," Celestia said as the last time she had been randomly teleported to Cadence's castle it was to explain to Sombra what a baby was. Something she was glad she saw, she still giggled about it. So did every pony she told.

"Indeed it does but this time I bring you here to brag!" Cadence said as she jumped excitedly. Even though Flurry caused all this to happen she really did like the windows. "I redecorated! Actually, I asked Discord and Sombra to redecorate. Discord!" She said as nothing happened. "Discord?" She looked at him.

Discord was currently scanning the room, his eyes lit up and he flew through the air and he grabbed Flurry right out of it. "Gocha!" He said as his eyes dimmed down. This was it, it was too much, "I'm too old to be doing this!" He yelled as he slammed his face into the ground, arms above his head. He held Flurry in his magic. He was aggravated, tired, confused.

Cadence could hear Shining's hoovesteps outside the throne room "Flurry-" he started as he noticed her in Discard's claw and paw. "oh thank Celestia."

"Your welcome but I had nothing to do with it." Celestia joked if she was going to be a phrase, she withheld the right to joke about it when a creature used it in her presence.

Shining blushed as he went over to Discord and took his daughter out of his hands. "Sorry about that, she got away from me before I could react."

Nothing was said as Cadence and Shining lied to every pony in that room, saying Discord and Sombra were only here because Flurry teleported into the ether often and they could bring her out of it. That was all they knew, that she could do that and while scary and slightly powerful. It was assumed to be normal for a baby alicorn, beyond that no creature knew anything.

Cadence turned her head to Discord who was groaning into the ground. She could see the desperation, the parenthood desperation. She could feel the frustration radiating off of him. "Discord are you ok?"

"nooooooooooooooooooo my boooooonessssss huuuuuuuuuuuuurt" Discord whined, it was true that he never felt his age but he did right now "is that normal?" He said as he teleported Fluttershy over to him, he hugged her and she didn't refuse. He needed her comfort, his body and mind ached.

Cadence laughed "welcome to parenthood Discord. Just in case we should take you to see a doctor we can go tomorrow."

"uhhhhhhhggggggggggg" Discord whined, "I rather go to the spa."

"Okay, if that's what will help you," Cadence said.

"Really?" His ears perked up but he did not let go of Fluttershy. He kept her in his arms, scratching behind her ears. It made him feel better, calmed him down. Maybe Cadence did generally like Sombra and him, at least more than just tolerating them. Maybe she was doing this because she felt she had to. Because of their help? Maybe it was a 'in your debt' thing. That had to be it, that was the idea he settled on.

At that moment, Sombra settled on a similar thought to that as well as he watched from the sidelines. There was no way Cadence would actually care for them. No creature did.

"Of course!" Cadence said, did he think she was kidding? Well, she wasn't, they could go.

"YES! You have no idea how sore I am. I cast that damn spell a whole bunch of times today. I have never felt so old before today." He said as he hugged Fluttershy closer "Hi Fluttershy."

"Hi Discord," this was pretty par for the course for him. He always liked her attention, although she was concerned about his bones hurting. Discord never felt pain, or old. That worried her.

"Children will make you feel that way. Now I'd like to show off my awesome new art if you wouldn't mind." Cadence said as she brought the conversation back around to what was happening. She was becoming very skilled at that, it was all thanks to Discord and Sombra. They could derail a conversation into anything.

Discord didn't move as he snapped his fingers and the curtains fell. Gasps and mutters could be heard as the ponies stared at the windows.

"You did this?" Twilight asked she had never seen anything like it. She didn't even know their magic could be constructive like that. It really took her by surprise. Just like Cadence asking them to redecorate, something bit at the back of her mind. Like she was missing something, she looked at Cadence. There was definitely something fishy going on.

"Oh, they create stuff all the time, mostly for their rooms. I think this is my favorite one." Cadence said with sincerity. "Gaze in awe of it. Be jealous." She giggled, maybe just maybe Sombra and Discord rubbed off on her a little bit. Well, maybe more than just a little bit.

Author's Note:

So a not so great thing happened this week and i felt pretty bummed all i wanted to do was work on this story. Makes me happy. So here surprise chapter and before you ask yes there will be one on Friday most likely very short but it'll be there.