• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 7,001 Views, 102 Comments

Magic Wands and Hourglasses: A Time Turner's Adventures Story - Whammy



Fleeing from Ponyville, Trixie encounters an odd stallion who begins to restore her confidence.

  • ...
3
 102
 7,001

The Weak and Insignificant Trixie

’The Weak...’

The quietness of the night was broken as the sounds of hooves on a dirt road steadily grew louder and louder.

’...and Insignificant...’

Soon the sound was joined by another one; a soft but consistent sob.

’...Failure’

The sounds were quickly matched with the appearance of a blue mare, her silver-colored mane flowing behind her as she ran. Her face was looking downwards, eyes shut close as if trying to hold back the small trickle of tears that were creating a trail on the dirt road behind her.

For Trixie, tonight had been the worst possible night ever. Earlier she had been the star of the show, the 'Great and Powerful Trixie', performing amazing feats of magic that awed the citizens of Ponyville. But now, now she was the laughingstock, a mere joke compared to the heroism of Twilight Sparkle. She had been able to defeat the Ursa Minor with feats of magic more powerful and amazing than anything Trixie had seen before. As for her own efforts? Flies had probably been more bothersome to the beast than she had been. The most powerful of all her magics, from levitation to even thunder and lightning were thrown against it, and not even a flinch occurred as a result.

Trixie didn’t know why Twilight Sparkle had let Trixie embarrass herself like that. Maybe the purple-maned mare thought it was amusing? Or maybe it was payback for how Trixie had embarrassed her friends earlier that afternoon? Whatever the reason, Trixie had to flee from town soon after she appeared on the scene. Even now she could imagine the mocking laughter of the citizens. But even worse, by tomorrow morning they would all have probably forgotten about her.

Oh sure she was angry for a while, and she had even left town with a confident boast about still being better. But out here alone, with no wagon or even her hat to remind her of her status as the Great and Powerful Trixie, she figured there was no real point in it all. She had come to accept that anything she could do, Twilight could do better. So that left her with absolutely nothing more than her new title, a more fitting title for somepony like her; the Weak and Insignificant Failure. It didn’t even matter where this road she was on was going. All she wanted to do now was just run away, what with that being the only thing she was probably going to be good at now.

Lost in her own thoughts, she didn’t even notice as she ran past another pony on the road. She only heard the sound of someone calling out to her.

“Oh, hello there. Is something the…wait, hold on a moment!”

For a moment Trixie thought about just ignoring the voice, to just keep running and let whoever it was just forget about her too. But the sound of somepony running behind her was enough to get her to slow to a stop and turn around. As she did she tried to wipe off some of the tears to at least look somewhat presentable, leaving behind only a small bit of wet fur and bloodshot eyes as signs of her current mood.

“Tri…I don’t want to be bothered right now so just go away,” she said, looking over her follower. He was a stallion from the looks of it, with light brown fur. His mane was darker than his fur, and rather messy from the looks of it. While it was hard to tell for sure in the darkness, from the looks of it his cutie mark was an hourglass. About the only other thing of notice was his saddlebag, which wasn’t an unusual accessory to have on the road.

“Ah, well, I guess I’ll just leave you alone then…except there’s one little problem,” he responded, his hoof pointing down the road behind Trixie, “While I’m not exactly sure where I’m going, I do know that I was heading in that general direction. Since you seem to be going that way as well, you’re going to have to put up with me for a bit.”

As he finished, there was a bit of a grin on his face as if he was happy about the fact he was going to be with her. Trixie just let out a sigh before mumbling out a “Fine”. It wasn’t as if she had a choice outside of just trying to outrun him, but now that she had stopped all the fatigue of running and crying had begun to catch up to her. As long as he was quiet, she could deal with him.

“Excellent. I promise to be absolutely quiet. Oh, almost forgot introductions. I’m Time Turner” he said as the two of them started off again.

“I’m Trixie.”

That was all she said as she started walking again, Time Turner apparently taking a comfortable spot behind her. He seemed to stick to his promise to be quiet, but after a few moments Trixie could hear a soft humming coming from behind. Trixie was annoyed, but she decided to just try and ignore it. After several more minutes passed, however, and with the addition of the mumbling of lyrics, she had enough.

“I thought you said you were going to be quiet!” she said, stopping to turn around and poke him in the muzzle to shut him up before giving him a chance to speak.

“My apologies madam. It’s just that I’ve never really been one for being quiet is all. I'm usually surrounded by other ponies talking, or the tic-toc of my clocks,”

Well, that explained the cutie mark. He was probably a clockmaker or something

“Are you sure you don’t want to talk at all? I’m a great listener and…hold on a second, do I know you?” he finished, head cocking to the side a bit in thought.

Trixie’s eyes widened before stammering out an answer.

“N-no, don’t be silly. How could you possibly recognize me? Just some random pony walking alone…at night.” Yeah, that didn’t sound suspicious at all. She stood there nervously as Time Turner finally straightened out, apparently hit with some kind of revelation as he pointed his hoof at her.

“Oh, I remember now. Trixie, THE Great and Powerful Trixie! The pony from this afternoon with the magic show with the fireworks and all that!”

Great, he recognized her. At least all the way out here he probably didn’t know about the Ursa Minor incident. Still, Trixie winced a little at the mentioning of her title, and considering her actions at that show had been the catalyst of her ruin tonight, he still probably had plenty to berate her about. She stood there waiting for it when…

“I thought it was absolutely brilliant! A little rude to some of the ponies, but overall brilliant! Say, how were you able to do that thing with the rainbow to, oh what was her name, Rainbow Dash? Was it some kind of light manipulation spell, or were you able to actually solidify light into a manipulative…oh, what am I saying. I can’t ask you these kind of questions right? A good magician never reveals the secret of their tricks and all that stuff.”

Wow, he was right about not being able to be quiet. She felt tired just listening to him ramble, but more than that she was surprised. He actually liked her show? Not only that, but he was interested enough to wonder how she pulled off her tricks.

“Y-yeah, that’s right. A magician like Trixie never reveals the secrets of her tricks,”

“Well, that’s a little disappointing but understandable. I just love a good magic show is all, always exciting to see, figuring out how the trick works. Even tried studying magical theory once to...”

Trixie just smiled a little at the stallion, but stopped listening as his rambling was kind of annoying. His enthusiasm was still evident though, an enthusiasm normally reserved to unicorns…like Twilight Sparkle. The small lift in her mood by the contagious effects of her companion’s own cheerfulness was quickly squashed by the reminder of her. Smile gone, Trixie started walking again, Time Turner still rambling as she drifted back into reality.

“…so what are you doing out here anyway? I would have thought you’d be staying in Ponyville for a few more days. Oooooh, are you going to another town for another show? No wait, you’d have your wagon then…say where is your wagon? Or your cape and hat? Did something happen? Did…”

“I left Ponyville for reason’s I don’t want to discuss, and please don’t ask again…but thank you for the praise. It really means a lot to me right now.” It was rare for her to actually thank somepony in a genuine manner, but even though that lift in her mood was brief, it had felt good to hear some praise. At least by now she wasn’t crying, though she still wasn’t feeling all that great and powerful.

“So since you asked me…why are you out here?” she asked, realizing that it was kind of odd for somepony else to be wandering the dirt road at night like this.

“Fair enough. Would you believe me if I said I’m out here on vacation?” he replied, before giving out a slight chuckle.

Trixie just stopped and looked at him in disbelief.

“You’re on…vacation?”

“Yep, vacation.”

Trixie really didn’t know what to say. How was travelling the road in the dark like this a vacation? As if sensing her confusion, Time Turner kept talking.

“You see, I’ve been on this road in the daytime already, but never seen it at night. Too dangerous and all that. But with Princess Luna back I figured the roads would be safe. Plus, there’s always the chance there’s something new and exciting up in the night sky to see. A new constellation, a meteor shower, or maybe some astronomical object no pony has ever dreamed of! Every time I look up there I just get excited about the possibilities. I just hope one day we’ll be able to go up there and see it all up close! Now wouldn’t that be thrilling?”

Trixie just looked at the brown stallion, who was now gazing up at the sky with a smile and a glazed, dreamy look in his eye. Looking up at it herself, she was tempted to laugh at him a little for what he said, but she found that she couldn’t bring herself to. Hearing all that reminded her of her own thoughts on the night sky, thoughts she hadn’t had in a long time.

“You know, you kind of sound a bit crazy, but if that’s the case then I’m a little crazy too.”

“And why would that be, hmm?” he said, slightly turning his head to look at her. There was a slight grin on his face, but Trixie wasn’t sure if it was because he was anticipating an answer or if it was because he was just a little off in the head. Most likely it was a bit of both.

“Well, when I was younger I’d look up at the stars and think to myself about all the other ponies looking up at them with the same kind of awe you have. But I’d also think of all the magic that went into making those stars and thought to myself that I’d like to be just like them,”

“You want to be a giant ball of hot, flaming gas?” he said. And here she was trying to restrain from making fun of his moment of monologue.

“No, Trixie does not want to be that,” she said, giving him a slight glare as he chuckled to himself. He was just messing with her right now, and she wanted to just zap him with a lightning bolt. But that could wait till after she was done talking.

“No, I wanted to be a star, standing on the stage performing feats of magic just as amazing as those stars so that everypony was staring in awe at me. “

“…Wow, that’s a rather narcissistic dream, don’t you think?” Time Turner responded. He wasn’t even looking at her when he said that, his eyes wandering off somewhere else as if that statement was meant to be kept to himself.

Trixie just huffed before stomping off. What did he know? He was just some random pony from some random, unimportant town in Equestria. Sure he talked about the stars and wanting to go to them, but she doubted he did anything to go for it. Yeah, that was right; he was just some loud talking nobody that..that..oh who was she kidding? He was right; it was pure hubris on her part to think that she could rival the stars and their makers the Princesses.

“But then again, just about every great pony had a bit of hubris in them. After all, it takes some arrogance and pride to think yourself wonderful enough to do something nopony has ever done before…so why do you seem like you’ve given up oh Great and Powerful Trixie?” he asked. Trixie could sense a slight tone of concern in his voice below all the cheerfulness.

“Because I’m not great and powerful, and…and I already said I didn’t want to talk about it,” she said, head drooping a little bit to emphasize her request.

She was done talking to this pony now. One moment he was insulting her, the next he was calling her Great and Powerful Trixie. Obviously this stallion was not right in the head or something. Not surprisingly, he was soon right behind her again. But soon he was moving in front of her and stopping her like she had done several times to him. Now it was her turn to be at the mercy of his hoof in her face, a look of grave concern and seriousness that seemed like it should have been completely foreign to his overly cheery face.

“Look, for now I’ll respect you don’t want to talk about it, but I can tell that this mopey little mess here isn’t the real Trixie. So you know what, I was wondering something…how would you like to see Equestria?”

How in the world did those two trains of thought overlap? Since his hoof was still on her mouth, Trixie wiggled a bit to get away before opening her mouth to speak. Before she even got a sound out, however, Time Turner started up again.

“Before you protest or say anything, let me finish. I know you think you’ve seen Equestria from your stage, but trust me when I say there is more to it than you know. I have a feeling there’s more to you than you think Trixie, but if you keep going down this road, and I’m talking metaphorically here and not talking about this road here literally,”

Trixie just stared at him like he was an idiot. She was capable of understanding metaphors after all.

“Right, sorry, guess it’s hypocritical to praise you and then act as if I have to explain a metaphor to you. Anyway, point is, there is more to you than you’re willing to admit, and so I want you to travel with me. Visit new cities, try exotic foods, explore ancient ruins, face terrifying monsters, and see wonders you would never have dreamed of in your life. I can’t promise it’ll always be safe, but I’m sure an explorer of the arcane like you are familiar with what happens when dealing with the abyss of the unknown. But…”

“Okay, just stop it right there,” Trixie yelled. She had enough of whatever it was the brown-maned stallion was saying. Apparently he wasn’t used to being interrupted as his eyes widened in surprise at her voice, but it was her time to talk and rant and pace about in front of him.

“Why in Celestia’s name would I travel with you? I mean really, is this what you do? Just find random ponies on the road and flatter them up, telling them that they’re wonderful and amazing, that there is more to them that they know? You’re a loony, that’s what you are. A brown-maned, hourglass marked lunatic,” she said, punctuating her last line by pointing an accusing hoof at him, chest heaving with heavy breathes after spending all that energy on ranting.

“And tie-wearing., I occasionally wear ties,” he interjected, completely unaffected by Trixie’s frustration.

As for herself, Trixie just stared at him, completely unsure what such a ridiculous comment had to do with anything she just said. All of her frustration was channeled into a gaze aimed right at the smarmy looking stallion.

“Oh, well that changes everything doesn’t it? Look, just go away and don’t bother me again. I’m no longer the Great and Powerful Trixie, I’m just…Trixie. That’s all there is too it now,” she said, her frustration being replaced by melancholy. Berating herself was bringing the tears back, but she just wanted Time Turner gone. The last thing she needed was her stupid, ‘narcissistic’ dream being thrown in her face like this, filling her with some false hope.

“I highly doubt that Trixie. You’ve said it yourself Trixie; you want to be a star. But maybe I was wrong then. Well, it was nice meeting you Trixie. Good luck with the background; hope you’ll be happy there. Goodbye,” he said with a wave before turning his back on her.

And with that he was off, leaving Trixie standing there with fresh new tears on her face. But the frustration was starting to come back in full force, evidenced by the grinding of her teeth as she watched Time Turner walking away as if this entire conversation had never happened.

’He’s a lunatic. A rude, annoying lunatic! He thinks he can just promise me stardom and then just walk off? No one treats Trixie like that, and no one sends Trixie off into the background. Only Trixie can send Trixie into the background. So he thinks Trixie is holding back. Well fine, I’ll show him what happens when Trixie is unleashed.’

Her horn glowed with a faint blue aura as she gathered up the water in the air for the formation of a cloud, but not just any cloud. Oh, no, for this she needed a darker cloud, one that started filling with electricity as it formed. And just as she perfected it, she let it loose, one little bolt of lightning right on that annoying little stallion’s rear. Trixie smiled smugly as she heard a yelp, alongside the form of Time Turner jumping in the air.

“Well, you said I had more in me than I thought. But maybe you bit a little more than you could chew when you decided to mess with…”

She hesitated for a moment, not sure if she was up to using the title. But something felt right about it now, even if it was just for the sake of getting the upper hoof on Time Turner. So it was with great pride and confidence she said.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie!”

Time Turner, who was busy inspecting his rump for damage, simply looked up at her with a cheesy grin on his face. He only said one word to her, but that word was all she needed to understand that she had just walked right into exactly what this crazy, brown stallion wanted.

“Fantastic!”