• Published 26th Aug 2012
  • 6,906 Views, 583 Comments

Through Changes - Symphony



When you lose who you are, what will you do to become yourself again?

  • ...
11
 583
 6,906

Skin

A/N: I usuallly write something here, but I can't think of anything today. Edited version.




Discord yawned and stretched, he had slept more than what he expected to do. He groaned as he rolled off the bed. He lifted a foreleg and dragged it down his neck. He winced as he still felt the fragments stuck in it. He exhaled slowly and focused his magic. This could hurt...


All the fragments stuck in him started glowing in a crimson aura, and all of them started pulling away from him at the same time. He bit his lip and clenched his eyes shut, then gasped as the fragments ripped away from him. He felt several trickles of blood going down his neck. He focused his magic once again, but this time the familiar power of what was his Periculum allowed him to tap into it to be able to heal his wounds.


A crimson and yellow mini tornado appeared around his neck, and he felt the skin starting to reform, and the coat grew back out. All happened in a matter of seconds, and Discord hadn’t felt the euphoria of using his magic in quite some time. Almost six years, to be exact. He grinned as the aura around his horn faded away. ’I missed you, ol’ buddy ol’ pal...’ He thought as he walked to the door, intending to go to the library.


‘Likewise.' The periculum answered him.


Discord shrugged it off and started whistling as he trotted down the hallways leading to the castle library. The castle was almost similar to a labyrinth in some perspectives, making it easy for somepony to get lost in its expanse. Era got lost in the castle almost two times a week, due to her adventurous spirit which lead her wrong most of the time. The servants Discord met had to look at him twice to take in the fact that Discord wasn’t wearing the necklace. Most of the servants knew why he was wearing it, so a few of them became spooked but didn’t say anything.


Discord heard a sudden clopping behind him, and before he could even react, a small weight thumped upon his back. He didn’t have to look back to identify it, as he knew that it was just Era playing around. A giggle coming from his back affirmed his suspicions. ’’Hi dad!’’ Era chirped.


’‘Hello there, Era.’’ Discord stretched his wings, and the filly looked at them with wonder. The wings were muscular, as the wingmuscles had been trained to near perfection due to Discord’s habit of flying a little bit of everywhere. ’‘Did you run away from the Elements, or were you allowed to go away?’’


’‘Weeell...’’ Era rubbed a hoof to the back of her head and glanced away from the now smirking spirit. ’‘They didn’t exactly say that I could leave... I just wanted to go for a walk without them following me...’’ Era pressed her head to his back and wrapped her tiny forelegs as far as she could reach over him. ’‘Pleasedon’tbemadatme!’’ She squeaked into his coat.


’’Oh no, I’m not mad at all. I just think that you could have told them that you were going to see m-’’


’‘There you are!’’ A voice which Discord and Era reognized echoed through the corridor. It was the voice of nopony else than Rarity, the Element of Generosity. Era squeaked and hid her face in Discord’s mane. ’‘You shouldn’t be running around like that on your own, young filly!’’ The fashionista scolded, and Discord harrumphed.


’‘She was just searching for me, and she really is sorry for running off like I did.’’ Discord explained, straining to be calm even with the fashionista talking to his daughter like that.


’’I am?’’ Era asked, deeply confused. Discord coughed awkwardly, and the filly’s eyes widened. ’’Oh yeah! I am, I’m totally sorry for running of like I did. Sorry Miss Rarity...’’ She looked down at the floor from her father’s back.


’‘Now Era, I need you to go with Rarity as I have some work to do. But when I come back, I might be a little different than what I am now. Just... Just stay with the Elements of Harmony, okay?’’ He looked straight into her eyes, and the filly nodded. She hopped off her back and walked defeated over to the white unicorn. Discord nodded to the fashionista, who understood what Discord was about to do. She nodded back to him and ushered the alicorn filly to follow her. Era didn’t protest and just followed Rarity.


’‘Now darling, I have some dresses fit for royalty which I am positive that you will just adore!’’ Rarity squee’d, and Era’s jaw dropped and her eyes widened. Oh... No... The filly turned to her father with pleading eyes. Discord just shook his head and continued his trek to the library.


The look of pure horror was still stretched upon the filly’s face as the fashionista levitated the filly to follow her lead. She hated dresses! They were just so... Icky and uncomfortable. She started struggling against the aura around her, but Rarity just giggled and watched her go at it.


‘Like father, like daughter...’ The dressmaker smiled as she walked into a room where she kept the garments, which were pure horror to the filly. Unbeknownst to the fashionista, Era was absolutely not intending to play nice... Hell, she was the daughter of the Embodiment of Chaos and the Spirit of Disharmony! Not some little ponykin... Era smirked as she focused her magic, making the familiar aura appear. But this time, it flashed yellow once.


-----


Discord found himself with books stacked in neat piles all around him. He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, but lucky for him, he had the bookworm of the bookworms, Twilight Sparkle there to help him. She was at the moment looking through a big tome which Discord was baffled of seeing, just because of the sheer size of the book.


Discord levitated a book to himself and squinted while reading the title of the book. But what he read made him quite uneasy, actually. ’‘Err... Twilight...’’ The lavender mare looked at him. ’‘Why do we need a book titled ‘The Great Guide to Goop and Sticky Situations?’ because, I really think we can do this.’’ He glanced at the book in mild confusion.


’‘Because if we fail and you turn into some kind of molecular fluid, we’ll maybe get to know how to get you back together again...’’ Twilight smiled sheepishly, but Discord looked at her, horrified. Turning into some kind of strange goop wasn’t in the plan, so he rocketed to his hooves in panic.


’‘Buck that!’’ He squeaked in fear. ’‘Maybe I can do this on my own... I’ll just have to get the order of the build just right, so shut up.’’ Before Twilight could scold him at how dangerous and potentially deadly it was, he had already focused his magic and begun the process.


He started floating up into the air inside the library, and a strange aura which only intensified with every passing second started forming around him. He spread his forelegs, and an expression of pure, unbridled calm washed over his face. He could feel his body beginning to break down, so could Twilight. His forehooves and lower body started disentingrating. It looked like flakes of his body was breaking off. Twilight was too entranced by the spell instead of panicking. She had never seen a spell being used with such preciscion.


Finally, all what was left of his body was his head. His eyes shot open, but no orbs were there. Only an ethereal ligh shone from his eyes, which forced Twilight to cover her eyes from the intense glow. A crack of bone was heard as his snout became longer, and as he opened his mouth, all his pony teeth shrunk back into his gums, leaving only the sharpened tooth which grew rapidly in size. After that, the rest of his teeth appeared one by one. His horn twisted down back into his skull, and two irregular horns sprouted out from his skull. His mane on the top of his head shrunk back into his head, making him bald. The hairs grew out on the back of his head, and the eyebrows and his goatee popped out.


Now, his neck started growing back out. It became the same, old goldish grey. By the end of his neck, the maroon of his upper body grew, and made him look like a giant, odd snake. Another crack of bones echoed through the library, and a skinless, coatless version of his eagle talon grew out within two seconds, the skin and the fur took longer though as the flesh and the muscles rebuilt themselves around the bone. It was a sickening sight for the lavender mare, and it didn’t help very much to see his lion arm crack away out in the same fashion, but with the muscles being much more powerful on this side, it took a few seconds longer. Twilight laid down and covered her head and ears with her forelegs. She couldn’t take much more snapping of bones.


His dragon’s tail twisted itself out of his lower body, and the spines popped out. The feathers on the far back of it just grew one by one, Two cracking noises echoed at the same time away from his lower body as his legs grew out, but one of the legs sported three huge claws. The flesh and skin weaved over his lizard leg without issues, so did the deer leg. The glow in his eyes blinked once, twice and then stopped glowing. The aura surrounding him had turned from a brilliant crimson into a glowing gold hue. Discord floated peacefully to the library floor, unconscious due to the immense strain on his mind to keep up the shifting spell. Twilight marvelled at his size as a draconequus. From turning into a pony, just shorter than Luna turning into a draconequus much taller than Princess Celestia. He rolled over onto his chest, where Twilight noted his chest rising and falling in a steady beat. Twilight grabbed a piece of parchment with her magic, along with a quill and an inkwell. She then continued to write a quick note to the princesses about the spirit’s success and state. For now, she would allow him to sleep it off.


-----


The Royal Princesses had gotten word of his success, but they couldn’t leave their duty. Two hours had passed since they recieved the note, Luna was anxious to see him and ask him how he did it, but sadly, it would have to wait. Celestia was relieved that it had gone well, but she was still nervous about what would happen.


But before they could even think any more on that matter, the doors creaked open on their own, making all of the ponies inside look at the doorway. But what they saw made most of the ponies panic but made the princesses smile. Discord stood in the doorway in his full height in his draconequus form. He had his arms crossed behind his back with a neutral scowl on his face. But before anypony could react, he whipped his eagle talon forward and placed a pair of sunglasses on his head. A strange beat started playing out of nowhere, and Discord uttered three words.


''Cotton candy cloud!''


He continued to fold his eagle talon over his stomach while lifting his lion arm and shaking it while stepping forward, then stepping twice with his left leg, he continued the strange dance but this time, he stepped twice with his right leg. He crossed his arms across his chest and skipped around in the room. All of the ponies inside the room couldn’t believe their eyes. Luna started laughing and joined his peculiar dance, so did Pinkie Pie. Celestia facehoofed. Discord placed his talons to his side and started sidestepping while looking up at Celestia with a manic grin.


One thought dominated the mind of the draconequus, one thought that would surely bring some second thoughts to a few diplomats and other ponies.


’Discord is back, baby!’