• Published 17th May 2020
  • 585 Views, 61 Comments

The Prince and the Poet - BrawnyBold



Prince Blueblood switches bodies with Feather Bangs to get away from royal duties.

  • ...
3
 61
 585

Getting the Hang of Things (Blueblood)

After a few days, Blueblood was getting used to living as Feather. Blueblood decided to just speak in a more normal tone contrast to his usual Canterlot accent. Blueblood also thought it would be best to keep his mane style the same as Feather's so other ponies won't get suspicious of his sudden change. Feather has written some important notes in his letters on how Blueblood should act in the village. Blueblood was a bit confused when Feather wrote that the prince needed to do things with this so called 'swagger'. During the dance practices with Feather's friends, Blueblood was getting the hang of dancing to the music. He was actually surprised that Feather's body was naturally going along with the music. Blueblood assumed that his mind needed to slowly adapt to Feather's body as it was usually in sync to Feather's mind.

Blueblood was in Feather's house while eating something that commoner ponies called cereal. Blueblood never had cereal before as he thought that it would taste too disgusting as commoners would normally eat it. Blueblood chewed on some crunchy oat squares and it tasted delightful to the prince.

'I guess there are some upsides of being a commoner.' Blueblood thought as he continued to eat from his bowl. Blueblood heard some knocking from the door and he went to open it. It revealed a white earth pony stallion with matching white manes and light blue eyes. Around the stallion's neck was a purple scarf and his cutie mark were three blue snowflakes.

"Yo! Feather!" The stallion said with a smile. "What's up?"

Blueblood remembered Feather had written about one of his friends named Double Diamond who matched the descriptions of the stallion before the prince. "Hey, Double Diamond." Blueblood said while trying to sound as normal as a common pony.

"I'm just here to remind you that we're getting ready to set up Nightglider's birthday party for tonight." Double Diamond replied. Blueblood then remembered that Feather did write that he volunteered to help out with this Nightglider mare's birthday party. Blueblood knew that he needed to help Feather fulfill his promises since he is at Canterlot.

"Alright, how can I help out?" Blueblood said as he came out of the house.

"Just follow me," Double Diamond said as he began to trot. Blueblood did follow Double Diamond until they were at the outskirts of the town. Blueblood felt a bit uncomfortable as it was nothing but empty, flat land. It wasn't until they reached a certain area where there was a large pile of wood set and there were tables filled with presents and food. Some ponies were helping put up a banner held by two wooden poles. The banner read: Happy Birthday Nightglider!. One stallion was blowing up balloons for the party. He was a light blue unicorn stallion with frizzy dark blue manes and light blue eyes. His cutie mark was a balloon in the shape of a dog.

"Yo! Party Favor!" Double Diamond called out which caught the blue stallion's attention.

"Hey Diamond," Party Favor said before he noticed that he was followed by Feather. "Oh! Hey Feather!" Party Favor said happily to Blueblood.

"Hey...Party Favor," Blueblood said as he tried to remember from Feather's letters. Feather wrote that Party Favor was the town's main party decorator since he has a talent in making balloon animals.

"Feather will help you out in decorations for the party." Double Diamond said to Party Favor.

"That's great! I'm going to need all the help I could get if we want to make Nightglider's party special." Party Favor replied.

Double Diamond turned to Blueblood. "Just follow what Party Favor says while some of our friends and I keep Nightglider occupied until tonight. Will that be okay, Feather?"

A part of Blueblood felt really uncomfortable as he has to take orders from a commoner pony. But he also didn't want any pony to catch on that he isn't Feather Bangs. "Sure, I'll help out any way I can." Blueblood said with a fake smile.

"Perfect! Good luck you two! I know you can pull it off!" Double Diamond said as he made his way back to the town. Blueblood began his tasks by helping Party Favor blow up balloons for the decorations. Blueblood didn't do so good on blowing up balloons as most of his balloons either didn't have enough air or had so much that it popped.

"Maybe it would be best that you work on the table settings?" Party Favor suggested. "Just set out the utensils and napkins." Party Favor said while pointing at one of the tables. Blueblood grumbled as he slowly trotted to the table and began to set up everything. As Blueblood continued to organize the plates and utensils, he began to remember all of the birthday parties he used to have when he was a foal. His servants and Auntie Celestia would always give him surprise birthday parties that were heavily decorated with streamers and balloons. Blueblood used to think that those kinds of parties would be easy for the adults to set up as it was mostly streamers and balloons. Blueblood never thought that just setting those up would be so daunting. Party Favor noticed Feather was feeling bummed and the party pony decided to check up on him.

"Hey Feather, how are you doing?" Party Favor asked.

"Fine, I'm fine." Blueblood lied. "I'm just trying to get all of these streamers out as I can't make a decent balloon for the party."

"Feather, Is it alright that I say something?" Party Favor said to get Blueblood's attention. "I noticed that you were acting strange lately and I think I know what is going on." Blueblood stopped in cold sweat as Party Favor might be catching on to him. "It's about my sister, isn't it?" Party Favor said.

"Excuse me?" Blueblood said while showing a confused look on his face.

"Sugar Belle, I heard that you tried to court her but she ended up choosing that apple farm stallion." Party Favor explained. Blueblood just stared blankly at Party Favor as Feather didn't mention anything like that on his letters. "It's alright if you don't want to talk about it. I just thought that you were having a difficult time dealing with your loss. I would've approved of her going out with you, but she really liked that other farm stallion and who am I to judge on who she picks." Party Favor stopped talking when he noticed that some of the napkins Blueblood set up were folded into little cranes. "Wow, that looks really amazing!" Party said as he picked up one of the napkin cranes.

"Those?" Blueblood said. "I just folded them up. I learned a lot about proper napkin folding when I started my prince-." Blueblood stopped in mid-sentence as he almost gave himself away. Party Favor just looked at Blueblood in confusion. "I-I meant origami! Yeah, I took some origami lessons before I moved to this town!" Blueblood said nervously.

"Wow, this is really impressive, Feather." Party Favor said while holding up one of the folded napkin cranes. All of a sudden, an idea came to Party Favor when he thought about the folded cranes. "Is it alright that you keep folding up more cranes for the tables and fold up some spare ones?" Party Favor asked in excitement.

"Um, sure?" Blueblood replied. "But what are the extra ones for?"

"You'll see!" Party Favor said as he hurried up with blowing up more balloons.

It was almost sunset and most of the townsponies were leading a blindfolded Nightglider towards the outskirts of the town.

"How long until I can take this off?" Nightglider said as she struggled with trotting as she couldn't see.

"You'll see soon enough!" Sugar Belle said in excitement. Double Diamond made Nightglider stop and he took off the blindfold. In front of Nightglider was a large party was set up around a large bonfire. There were folded napkin birds floating in the air as they were tied to some balloons.

"Surprise!" Ponies said as they jumped from out of nowhere. "Happy Birthday, Nightglider!"

Nightglider's eyes teared up as she felt really happy. "Aw you guys shouldn't have!" Nightglider then hugged Double Diamond, Sugar Belle, and Party Favor.

"It is your birthday after all." Double Diamond informed.

"I also really like the floating cranes. They're so cool!" Nightglider claimed.

"You can thank Feather Bangs for that." Party Favor said while nudging to Blueblood, who was just looking away to avoid attention. "He was the one who made the cranes." Nightglider flew up towards Blueblood to give him a big hug.

"Thank you so much, Feather! The cranes look so nice!" Nightglider said while hugging. Blueblood would normally call his guards if any pony tried to physically approach him without his permission. Something was different as Blueblood felt more happy instead of disgusted when getting a hug from somepony who appreciated his efforts.

"Come on everypony, let's party!" Nightglider said as everypony began to celebrate the mare's birthday.

Author's Note:

I wasn't quite sure if Sugar Belle and Party Favor being siblings is canon. I mean, they do look alike and they both have talents involving parties or something. What do you guys think? Next chapters will be about the stallions spending some time off from their switched roles.