• Published 17th May 2020
  • 585 Views, 61 Comments

The Prince and the Poet - BrawnyBold



Prince Blueblood switches bodies with Feather Bangs to get away from royal duties.

  • ...
3
 61
 585

Breaking Character (Blueblood)

Blueblood was inside Feather's house while reading the latest letter from Feather about his progress as a prince. 'Looks like Feather Bangs is making good progress as me.' Blueblood thought as he read the letter. 'I should've switched minds with a commoner a long time ago! I'm feeling really great without all doing any of my royal duties!' Blueblood recalled his daily routine as Feather. All Blueblood has done was relax at home and hang out with Feather's friends. There was even a time when Blueblood took part in a sport called Buckball with Double Diamond and the others. Blueblood thought it was dangerous as it could ruin his coat and manes, but he then remembered that he was in another pony's body. That meant he could fall and get dirty all he liked without feeling completely messy. Blueblood put the letter down and took a look at the clock. "I better get going." Blueblood said as he got up and exited the house.

He looked around to see that everypony in the village was decorating the whole town with an assortment of party decorations. Two pegasai were hanging up a large banner that says Founder's Day on it. Blueblood recalled that today was the anniversary of when the ponies here gathered and formed this town. From what Blueblood gathered from the locals, this town was founded by some unicorn named Starlight Glimmer and she tried to establish the perfect place where everypony is equal. Blueblood then assumed that this Starlight Glimmer's plan worked and now the village was preparing to celebrate this day by hosting a festival. What's more, the villagers were making the town more decorative as Starlight Glimmer will come back to join in on the fun. Blueblood remembered hearing that Princess Twilight Sparkle had a student named Starlight Glimmer. But Blueblood doesn't recall any more info about this Starlight Glimmer as he was always too busy with attending his royal duties and such.

Blueblood made his way through the single street to find Double Diamond helping some ponies with some crates.

"Hey Double Diamond," Blueblood called out. "how can I help?"

"Feather! I'm glad you're here!" Double Diamond said. "Can you help us set up these ribbons on the other side of town?" Double Diamond pointed at a box filled with ribbons.

"Sure thing," Blueblood said as he put the box on his back and made his way to where Double Diamond mentioned. Blueblood would normally delegate some servants into doing these kinds of duties as he thought it was too difficult, but now he realized that certain tasks are way too easy to do. He started putting up the streamers on some parts of the town. It took some time before Blueblood was done with his task and his box of streamers was empty. For once, Blueblood felt sort of proud for the hard work he has done with his own hooves. Blueblood then noticed that a couple of mares were struggling with putting some crates on a wagon. "Mind if I help you mares?" Blueblood asked as he approached them.

"Sure!" One mare said as Blueblood picked up a crate. Once Blueblood put the last crate on the cart, he patted the dirt off his hooves.

"Thanks a lot, Feather." The other mare said as she batted her eyes at Blueblood.

"It's no problem." Bluelblood said as he made his way back to Double Diamond. Blueblood started to hear the two mares started giggling and he couldn't help but smile. Blueblood would normally accept mares giggling near him because he was a prince and he was good looking. This time felt different for Blueblood as he received those mares' giggles for something that he actually did instead of just passing by. As Blueblood continued to trot, he suddenly felt the ground shaking.

'Is this an earthquake?!' Blueblood thought as he fell on the ground. He covered his face with his hooves so he wouldn't see anything. The shakes started to get more rapid and Blueblood could hear ponies screaming in panic. Blueblood then heard the sound of rocks crumbling and falling until it landed. A few minutes passed before the quakes slowly stopped, causing the whole town to be completely silent. Blueblood looked up to see dust clouds almost covering the whole village. He got up to slowly trot forward to see if anypony was around. Blueblood started to see ponies panicking and moving almost everywhere. He also saw that the roofs of the village houses were smashed by some large rocks. Blueblood assumed that the earthquake caused the rock formations to drop some large boulders on to the houses. He also saw Double Diamond being surrounded by some ponies who were freaking out by the whole disaster. Blueblood could see that Double Diamond's face showed nothing but confusion and stress as he was not sure on how to handle this kind of situation. Blueblood kept staring at the panic that was all around him. He too was about to join in as he was just as terrified as everypony else. Out of nowhere, Blueblood started to remember a past incident that happened in Canterlot.


An earthquake also occurred and the citizens of Canterlot panicked from all of the chaos. Blueblood was in the throne room while having a conversation with some noble ponies. The earthquake occurred and Blueblood was panicking while the noble ponies quickly ran out of the throne room. Before Blueblood could rush out as well, he saw his Auntie Celestia trotting through the throne room. He noticed that she didn't show any signs of panic on her face despite what was happening outside. Princess Celestia made her way towards one of the balconies where she could see almost all of Canterlot. She used her horn to conquer a small yellow ball that floated towards her throat. Princess Celestia cleared her throat before she spoke with a booming voice.

"Citizens of Equestria!" Princess Celestia's voice echoed throughout Canterlot, causing all of the ponies to stop panicking and turn towards where the princess was. Princess Celestia looked around before she continued to speak. "I understand that the earthquake was terrifying, but it has ceased. I have already ordered a majority of the Royal Guards to go out and aid any pony who needs help. If any of you are willing to help, assist the Royal Guards by finding more survivors. Ponies who are hesitant on helping, follow the Royal Guards as they will lead you to a safe place. Panicking will only make this situation worse!" With that said, ponies no longer panicked and started to do what Princess Celestia instructed.

Blueblood was shocked to see how quickly his aunt had handled the situation. He then notice that Princess Celestia was trotting towards him.

"Are you alright, nephew?" Princess Celestia asked.

"Um, yes. I'm just fine." Blueblood replied.

"That is good to hear." Princess Celestia said in relief. "I had to calm the other ponies down before things went from bad to worse."

"Yes, well...I could've done a much better job." Blueblood lied.

Princess Celestia giggled a little. "Well, if you do choose to calm a crowd down, remember this: if one pony panics, everypony else will also panic. But if one pony steps up, everypony else will also step up." Princess Celestia exited the room, leaving a confused Blueblood behind.


Blueblood knew what he had to do and galloped towards the center of town. There, Blueblood sees a stage set up for the festival. He looks around to find a microphone and some large speakers already set up. Blueblood climbed on stage and turned on all of the speakers. He then made his way to the microphone and cleared his throat. Blueblood saw that the townsponies continued to panic.

'Just do what Auntie Celestia did.' Blueblood thought before he spoke through the microphone. "Everypony, listen!" Blueblood's voice echoed through the speakers and it caused everypony to stop what they were doing. They all turned to Blueblood who only smiled nervously. He shook his head before he spoke again. "We should not be panicking right now! We got to make sure everypony is alright! Some pegasai should fly up and check from above to see if any pony needs help! If any unicorn knows spells that could heal the injured, levitate heavy objects, or gather some medical supplies, apply those spells as soon as possible! The earth ponies can use their strength to help the unicorns lift some of the fallen debris! To ponies who have other skills that could help, please use them! If anypony is unable to help due to injuries or some other reason, gather around this stage so we won't worry about any pony missing!" It was dead silent as everypony looked at each other in confusion. Blueblood was a bit worried that his words didn't spark anypony to do anything. That was until he saw Night Glider flying upwards to get some of the ponies' attention.

"You heard what Feather Bangs said! We got to fly out and check the area! Let's go!" As Night Glider flew out, some of the pegasai followed her. The rest of the pegasai flew up to lift some of the boulders off from the roofs. Party Favor ran up to one of the houses and attempted to levitate one boulder.

"Here, let me help you." said a nearby unicorn and she used her magic to help Party Favor get the boulder completely off from the house. It wasn't long until more unicorns started to use their magic to remove the boulders and debris. Double Diamond and the rest of the earth ponies checked each house to see if there were ponies inside. Luckily, there were only a few ponies and none of them were hurt or stuck under rubble.

Blueblood too was helping the cause by also checking on some houses for any distressed ponies. When Blueblood returned to the stage, he saw more ponies gathering around the area and helping each other by patching each other up with bandages or just comforting one another. A part of Blueblood felt sort of glad to remember what his Auntie Celestia did to calm a crowd down.

Night Glider and her group of pegasus were back and they were carrying an earth pony who looked injured.

"We're back from the further part of town. We only found this pony. Nopony else was there as everypony was busy preparing for the festival." Night Glider informed.

"Thanks, Night Glider." Blueblood said. "Just take that pony to the stage area and see it that he gets some medical attention." Night Glider nodded and led her group towards the other ponies. Blueblood was then approached by Double Diamond and Party Favor along with the other ponies who helped with debris removal.

"We were able to remove most of the rocks and got everypony to the stage area." Double Diamond said.

"That is good to hear." Blueblood said. "Now we just need to count everypony and make sure they're all here. Do we have a list of the residents' names?"

"Yeah, it's at my place since I'm in charge here." Double Diamond responded.

"Great, get the list and count everypony." Blueblood requested. Double Diamond nodded and hurried to his house. Blueblood turned to Party Favor and the rest of the ponies. "Let's head back to the rest of the townsponies to see if they need more help." The other ponies nodded and followed Blueblood back to everypony else. When Double Diamond returned with the list, he called out each pony's name and he or she replied.

"What happened here?!" said a mare's voice. Blueblood turned to see a light purple unicorn mare with dark purple and light blue manes galloping towards the rest of the townsponies.

"Starlight!" Party Favor said as he, Night Glider, and Double Diamond trotted towards the new mare Blueblood assumed was Starlight.

"Is everypony alright?" Starlight asked while showing a worried look.

"An earthquake occurred and some rocks fell on top of the houses." Night Glider explained.

"Oh no! Is anypony hurt?" Starlight asked.

"A few ponies have minor injuries, but we're all still fine." Party Favor said.

"That is a relief." Starlight said. "I felt the earthquake while I got off the train, so I hurried as fast as I could to reach you guys."

"Don't worry, Starlight." Double Diamond assured. "We were able to gather everypony and get all of the rocks off from the houses."

"Really? That's pretty impressive, Double Diamond." Starlight complimented.

Double Diamond turned to Blueblood who only responded by just looking away as if he wasn't interested in their conversation. Double Diamond guessed that Feather Bangs didn't want any credit in this and he kept it that way. Starlight suggested that they should start by fixing up the houses since some were damaged. The townsponies put in a lot of work in their houses' repairs. It only took a few days before the houses were good as new. Since Founder's Day was interrupted by the earthquake, the townsponies decided to celebrate it along with celebrating their hard work on their houses. Nighttime came and everypony in the town continued to dance and be cheery. Blueblood only sat on a chair while watching the other ponies. He wasn't in the mood to join the others as he was still thinking about his recent actions. A part of him questioned why he helped as he would normally care less about the ponies living in a backwater town. But Blueblood remembered all of the panics. He just felt that something needed to be done so the town wouldn't fall apart. Blueblood's thoughts were interrupted when Double Diamond approached the stage.

"First off, I want to say thank you all for your efforts in making this Founder's Day celebration possible!" Everypony cheered in response. "I know it was delayed because of the earthquake, but we were able to pull it off, didn't we?" Everypony cheered once again. "We were able to work together like a good town should, but it also wasn't possible without a single pony. Feather Bangs?" Everypony turned to Blueblood who was completely shocked to hear Double Diamond calling him. "Please come to the stage." Blueblood didn't know what to do. He decided to just slowly trot up to the stage to avoid any more attention. When Blueblood made it on stage, Double Diamond continued to speak. "It was thanks to Feather Bangs we were able to repair the town. He got everypony's attention and had us do some productive stuff. If he didn't give us those orders, we would've continued to panic until Starlight arrived." Double Diamond raised on hoof in the air and hollered, "Let's hear it for Feather Bangs!" Everypony began to cheer louder and clapped their hooves for Blueblood. Blueblood was lost for words as he listened to everypony's cheers. He turned to see Party Favor and Night Glider were cheering and whistling for him. Feather Bangs' three fan mares swooned for Blueblood as they thought he was a hero. The only response Blueblood could give was just a smile while tears of joy poured from his eyes. It was at this moment when Blueblood found a new kind of happiness.