• Published 7th May 2020
  • 1,649 Views, 133 Comments

Show and Tell - Admiral Biscuit



Fillies and colts bring all sorts of things to class for Show and Tell. Diamond Tiara usually shows off expensive stuff, Snails always brings snails, and Nursery Rhyme brings a trichobezoar.

  • ...
4
 133
 1,649

Trichobezoar

Show and Tell
Admiral Biscuit

Cheerilee kept her expression neutral as Snails returned to his seat, a small aquarium held in his teeth. Unsurprisingly, it contained a snail—a rosy wolfsnail, to be specific. Which was also nicknamed the cannibal snail, due to its diet of other, slower gastropods.

“Has anypony else brought something for show and tell?”

A pale grey hoof shot up.

“Nursery Rhyme?”

The filly nodded, and leaned down into her saddlebags, producing a brown paper bag. It wasn’t oozing or moving about, both which were good signs.

Is this going to be appropriate for class? Cheerilee thought about asking the question aloud, but she was certain that the filly had learned after a brief parent-teacher meeting. Admittedly, none of the ponies in her class had been overly scarred, and they had all learned an important lesson about why it was important to wash pasture grasses before eating them.

She trotted eagerly to the front of class and set the paper bag on Cheerliee’s desk, then unrolled the top and pulled out a greenish fuzzball.

For an instant, Cheerliee had a flashback to the parasprites, but this wasn’t a parasprite. It was just a ball of fuzz, no more, no less.

“This,” Nursery Rhyme said, holding it aloft so the whole class could see, “is a bezoar. Specifically a trichobezoar, which means it’s made out of hair.

“Some kinds of bezoar are made out of other things that get stuck inside the gastrointestinal tract, and once upon a time it was thought that the harder ones were an antidote against any poison and sometimes noble unicorns who got them would put them in their drinking goblets to protect them from jealous rivals.”

“Very interesting,” Cheerliee said. “Where did you get it?”

“Dad had to surgically remove it from a patient,” she said. “And she didn’t want to keep it, so Mom gave it to me.”

“So it came from inside a pony.”

“Well, yes. But it’s not like the worms!”

“Those were educational,” Cheerilee grudgingly admitted. “Does anypony have questions?”

Practically every hoof in the room shot up, and Cheerilee started choosing. “Sweetie Belle?”

“Is it like a hairball? Opal gets hairballs but she horks them up and when Rarity finds them she shrieks.”

“Yes, and it can be caused by ponies licking their own fur or chewing on their manes. Or other ponies’ manes. Some other predators get them, too, like owls, who can cough them back up. Ponies can’t.”

“Silver Spoon?”

“You said that ponies thought that bezoars would protect against poison—did any of them find out that they didn’t?”

Nursery Rhyme shrugged. “Ponies do all sorts of dumb things and find out that they don’t work.”

“Could you bespell a bezoar so it would be an antidote for poison?”

“Diamond Tiara, please wait to be called on.”

“Sorry, Miss Cheerilee.”

“Maybe? You’d have to ask an adult unicorn who’s good with enchantments.”

Apple Bloom raised her hoof, and Cheerliee called on her. “Lotsa zebra potions use natural ingredients, so maybe if a bezoar is used properly it would be an antidote to poison.”

“Bezoar stones do remove arsenic from solution,” Nursery Rhyme said. “But not right away, it takes a little while for it to work.”

Cheerilee looked over the class and the legion of upraised hooves. “Archer?”

“How did your Mom and Dad get it out?”

“Surgery—he made a small incision in the patient’s stomach, right here.” Nursery Rhyme pointed to her belly and traced a line with her hoof. “Then he had to cut open her stomach and pull it out, and sew her back up afterwards.”

“Eww.”

“I wouldn’t want a doctor to cut into me.”

“Sometimes that’s the only way,” Nursery Rhyme explained. “Oh, you can get them from swallowing gum, too.”

Bubblegum Brush slid down in her seat as several eyes turned in her direction.

Diamond leaned over to Silver Spoon and whispered none too quietly: “Her coat’s about the same color as the bezoar.”

“I heard that.” Bubblegum pointed to her stomach. “No stitches, it wasn’t me.”

“Key Lime’s kinda the same color, too.”

“It wasn’t anypony in class,” Cheerilee said, then turned to Nursery Rhyme for confirmation.

“It was an adult pony. She’s got trichophagia, which is where a pony compulsively eats hair. Nurse Snowheart is working with her, and she’s getting better.”

“Is that similar to pica?” Cheerilee didn’t raise her hoof before asking the question, but she was the teacher and didn’t have to.

“Sorta?” Nursery Rhyme shrugged. “It’s not exactly the same, I don’t think. I could ask Nurse Snowheart, she’d know.”

Cheerliee nodded, and looked back over the classroom. Plenty of ponies still had their hooves raised. “Lily Longsocks?”

“Is it soft?”

“Yeah.” Nursery Rhyme poked it with her hoof. “Like a ball of felted wool.”

“Can we touch it?”

Cheerilee looked at the trichobezoar uncertainly. “It’s not germy or anything, is it?”

“Not anymore, my Dad sterilized it twice—once after he pulled it out, and again after it had dried off. Mom wouldn’t have let me take it to class if it wasn’t safe.”

“She let you bring intestinal worms.”

“Those are safe as long as you don’t eat them or their eggs,” Nursery Rhyme countered. “And nopony was allowed to touch them, they stayed in the jar.”

“Well, then. Form one line, please.”

•••

Cheerilee didn’t like to invoke parent-teacher conferences unless there was little other choice. Fillies and colts were naturally curious, and they didn’t always make the best choices. Besides the obvious mantra of providing a book education, she also provided a social education, nurturing natural interests into a productive path.

And all the students had been interested in the trichobezoar, she had to admit. Apple Bloom might make a trip to Zecora’s hut to ask about them, for example.

She’d had no intention of bringing it up to Nurse Redheart or Dr. Stable, not until she ran into Redheart at the market.

After an obligatory exchanging of pleasantries, and a bit of praise for Nursery Rhyme’s significant improvement in Equestrian history—admittedly, largely focused on medical knowledge through the ages—she brought up the topic of the trichobezoar.

Nurse Redheart grinned. “When’s the next show-and-tell? We’ve got a whole collection at the hospital of things we’ve taken out of ponies.”

Comments ( 133 )

I have no idea what inspired this, but I though of bezoars today at work for some reason.


Rosy Wolfsnails are in the top 100 list of invasive species, and they’re known for their speed (not cheetah fast, but faster than other, slower gastropods).

Nursery Rhyme is the filly nurse seen in at least one episode.
derpicdn.net/img/view/2018/5/13/1731955.png
Source

All the facts about bezoars and trichobezoars she stated are true facts. They can occur anywhere in the GI tract, and in equines when they occur in the throat they’re called choke. Horses with this condition can still breathe, but they can’t swallow.

One kind of bezoar is caused by eating unripe persimmons, and that type can sometimes be treated with Coca-Cola.

Ambroise Pare, a French surgeon, demonstrated that bezoar stones do not serve as an antidote to poison by offering a cook who was condemned to death by hanging a chance to take poison instead which might be neutralized by the bezoar. Spoiler alert, it wasn’t. Although if it had been an arsenic solution (for the chemists in the bunch, wikipedia says that the arsenate and arsenite are exchanged for phosphate in brushite and bonded to sulfur compounds in degraded hair proteins, respectively.


Bubblegum Brush (because she’s cute):
derpicdn.net/img/view/2017/2/15/1363205.png
Source

Today I learned there’s a fancy word for hairball

10221180
See? Show and tell is educational!

This was a fascinating read. You learn something new every day!

Also,

“Is it like a hairball? Opal gets hairballs but she horks them up and when Rarity finds them she shrieks.”

That got a good snort from me.

Nurse Redheart has a whole table full of items.

That are safe to show children.

The adult collection have their own Museum. :duck:

I looked up bezoar and I love that it's a real thing! For some reason when I first read it, my mind processed it as "bear," and I thought of those horrific looking alien demon microscopic water bear things. Yknow, these nightmares: https://scitechdaily.com/images/Tardigrade-Water-Bear.jpg


Also, blessed Sweetie Belle: “Is it like a hairball? Opal gets hairballs but she horks them up and when Rarity finds them she shrieks.”

I wrote a story a while ago that had the exact same title as this one, but it was rejected for apparently not being a story at all.

Why you did this I have no idea.

For this, I should send you a fruit cake.

Brilliant...

Honestly, given the nature of the place, I'd half-expect bezoars to act as universal antidotes in Equestria. Especially unicorn-derived ones. :rainbowlaugh:

10221209
I legit jerked away from my monitor when that image loaded. Holy f:flutterrage:k am I glad those don't exist on a macro scale.

10221185

This was a fascinating read. You learn something new every day!

I know, right? I first learned about ‘em from Neil Gaiman’s Sandman.

That got a good snort from me.

Sweetie Belle tells it like it is.

10221189

Nurse Redheart has a whole table full of items.
That are safe to show children.

Well, ‘safe’ is debatable. Intestinal worms certainly fall in the grey area.

The adult collection have their own Museum. :duck:

Flared bases are your friend. Otherwise, just tell the doctor what’s stuck; it saves time for everypony.

10221209

I looked up bezoar and I love that it's a real thing!

Yup! Some kinds more valuable than others, of course. Even without the questionable mystical properties.

For some reason when I first read it, my mind processed it as "bear," and I thought of those horrific looking alien demon microscopic water bear things. Yknow, these nightmares: https://scitechdaily.com/images/Tardigrade-Water-Bear.jpg

Ah yes, the live small die never Tradigrades. Freaky little guys, but they’re good at what they do.

Also, blessed Sweetie Belle: “Is it like a hairball? Opal gets hairballs but she horks them up and when Rarity finds them she shrieks.”

Sweetie’s the pony we all need in our lives. Weapons-grade cute, and somewhat socially oblivious.
derpicdn.net/img/view/2019/4/5/2003621.png

10221213

I wrote a story a while ago that had the exact same title as this one, but it was rejected for apparently not being a story at all.

<hugs>

Did the mods give any other critique on how it wasn’t a story, out of curiosity?

10221224

Why you did this I have no idea.

That makes two of us, honestly.

For this, I should send you a fruit cake.
Brilliant...

Thanks! :heart:

10221227

Honestly, given the nature of the place, I'd half-expect bezoars to act as universal antidotes in Equestria. Especially unicorn-derived ones.

That is a good point, maybe there are bezoars that come from the right kind of pony (or other creature) which have magical properties. I dunno why, but the first thought that comes to mind is a bezoar from a unicorn who got it by licking a zebra. . . .

Emil #17 · May 7th, 2020 · · ·

10221257
Are you trying to get us a disturbing Rule 34 story?

10221257
You just know it would come out perfectly striped...

Poor Cheerilee. I would have thought the CMC would have brought in all the interesting stuff but this fully looks like she can beat them most of the time. Once I had the other name of this object I just flashed back to Harry’s first Potions lesson and could just hear Snape giving a lecture on why the pony nobles where never able to get them to work right.

10221257
If that Twilight/Zecora clop fic isn’t written yet... Thanks, I hate it.

Seriously though interesting take. Did not know chronic hair eating was a thing before this.

You should totally write a sequel or epilogue with Nurse Redheart coming in for a show and tell. My mom used to be a Nurse, first in the hospital later on doing work in the home health business. She would sit down in the evening and while we were eating dinner she would say things like "So who wants to hear about this or that patient's medical issues?"

Dan

Cheerilee is a good teacher. I used to flip through Gray's (Not 'Greys') Anatomy as a kid, but the teachers only scolded me for trying to share what I read. Almost like the damn prudes didn't want kids to learn or develop interests.

They practically freaked when I tried to talk about William Beaumont's friendship with Alexis St. Martin.

and they had all learned an important lesson about why it was important to wash pasture grasses before eating them.

And that children is how you don't get worms.

10221109
"I have no idea what inspired this, but I though of bezoars today at work for some reason."
Ah, I was wondering. Oh well. :)

I learned about both these and their supposed medicinal properties from Kingdom of Loathing.

10221238
I'm glad too, for a subtly different reason: triggering a visceral "oh gods kill it" response while not being killable. Seriously, go look up all of the things that don't kill tardigrades.

"We’ve got a whole collection at the hospital of things we’ve taken out of ponies."

Alert! Alert! Some of the things taken out of ponies are not Y rated! Ask any emergency room physician "What's the strangest thing you've taken out of somebody?" and you're in for an hour or two of queazy and kinky descriptions.

10221715
Yeah, seriously. I wonder how many sex toys have been surgically removed from deep within the anus of someone who either was overzealous in the bedroom or had a partner who was overzealous?

Even when talking about something that isn't obviously not intended to be viewed by small children, try presenting a kidney stone for show and tell as a challenge for the class to see how many aren't blowing chunks by the end of the telling of what kidney stones are. The ones that are passed through urination are bad enough, but sometimes they grow so big they end up clogging up an intersection of canals in the kidney it formed in and has to be surgically removed. Yeah, show and tell about a fucking staghorn kidney stone.

One kind of bezoar is caused by eating unripe persimmons, and that type can sometimes be treated with Coca-Cola.

Wait, what? How?

It's been decades since I read Huckleberry Finn, but IIRC Jim had one that he claimed could prophesize the future :pinkiegasp:

Well this was interesting, and did I read wrong or is Red Heart mother to Rhyme?

“Dad had to surgically remove it from a patient,” she said. “And she didn’t want to keep it, so Mom gave it to me.”

The bolded pronoun here is either very interesting and subtle worldbuilding or a typo. My vote is to leave it in and pretend it was the former if that wasn't the intent from the start.

That was a hilarious story. Educational, funny and cute. :)

10221246

I know, right? I first learned about ‘em from Neil Gaiman’s Sandman.

Same!

Calliope (late 2010): I don't understand, why are so many people thinking of writing about ponies all of a sudden?

10221334

Are you trying to get us a disturbing Rule 34 story?

Ponies licking ponies is canon.
derpicdn.net/img/view/2013/7/23/381640.gif

10221337

You just know it would come out perfectly striped...

It probably would . . .

And that’s how you know it’s gonna work.

10221353

Poor Cheerilee.

The perils of being a schoolteacher. . . .

I would have thought the CMC would have brought in all the interesting stuff but this fully looks like she can beat them most of the time.

Well, maybe--there’s got to be lots of things she’s not allowed to bring in, even in jars.

Once I had the other name of this object I just flashed back to Harry’s first Potions lesson and could just hear Snape giving a lecture on why the pony nobles where never able to get them to work right.

Oh, yeah, that’s right, they were in Harry Potter, too. I’d forgotten about that!

10221369

If that Twilight/Zecora clop fic isn’t written yet... Thanks, I hate it.

I can’t say if it is or isn’t--I haven’t come across it, and won’t be looking.

Seriously though interesting take. Did not know chronic hair eating was a thing before this.

Thanks!

Yeah, it’s not all that common, but it is a thing. More generalized pica is more common, as far as I know (I worked with a guy once who would pick up cigarette butts and eat them). And there’s also eating things for other reasons; another guy I worked with ate dangerous items because for him the fun part was getting them out at the hospital.

10221393

You should totally write a sequel or epilogue with Nurse Redheart coming in for a show and tell.

That’s the kind of thing that would be heavily vetted by Cheerilee, I have to imagine. The stories she could tell, or the things she could show off. Like how to repair major lacerations using buttons (yes, that’s a thing you can do on horses; look it up at your own peril).

My mom used to be a Nurse, first in the hospital later on doing work in the home health business. She would sit down in the evening and while we were eating dinner she would say things like "So who wants to hear about this or that patient's medical issues?"

That’s one of those things that makes for weird smalltalk. I work part-time in an AFC home for developmentally disabled adults, and some of our staff gossip about what the residents did is not the kind of thing that makes for good dinner conversation, especially with people who aren’t in the field.

10221415

Cheerilee is a good teacher. I used to flip through Gray's (Not 'Greys') Anatomy as a kid, but the teachers only scolded me for trying to share what I read. Almost like the damn prudes didn't want kids to learn or develop interests.

It’s weird what teachers will encourage or not. I never had a problem reading King in middle school, but I could see how some teachers would put an effort to stopping that.

They practically freaked when I tried to talk about William Beaumont's friendship with Alexis St. Martin.

Since that happened in Michigan (and there are Michigan hospitals named for him), it’s something we did cover in middle school, and I have vague memories of there being a reenactment as a class project, although with paper foods on strings and no gunshot wounds.

10221449

And that children is how you don't get worms.

That’s very important to know. Nopony wants worms.

Also, as an aside, I’ve often wondered if part of a pony’s annual checkup includes a dose of dewormer, just to make sure.

10221715

Alert! Alert! Some of the things taken out of ponies are not Y rated!

From what I’ve read here and there, most of the things are Y rated; it’s the location where they were found that’s the issue.

At least the excuse of “I was vacuuming the living room naked when....” is more plausible when a pony’s involved. Well, assuming they’ve invented vacuums.

Ask any emergency room physician "What's the strangest thing you've taken out of somebody?" and you're in for an hour or two of queazy and kinky descriptions.

No doubt. And from everything I’ve heard, the best thing is to just tell the doctor what it is and not make up some dumb excuse for how it got there, because the doctor knows exactly how it got up there.

10221796

Yeah, seriously. I wonder how many sex toys have been surgically removed from deep within the anus of someone who either was overzealous in the bedroom or had a partner who was overzealous?

From what I’ve heard, it’s usually not sex toys but other objects which aren’t meant to be used internally (although I’d imagine misusing a sex toy could also result in a trip to the hospital for removal).

Even when talking about something that isn't obviously not intended to be viewed by small children, try presenting a kidney stone for show and tell as a challenge for the class to see how many aren't blowing chunks by the end of the telling of what kidney stones are. The ones that are passed through urination are bad enough, but sometimes they grow so big they end up clogging up an intersection of canals in the kidney it formed in and has to be surgically removed.

Sometimes they can be broken up with ultrasonic waves, or so I’ve heard. Put a focused blast of sound on ‘em, and they break up small enough that they come out. Painfully, or at least so I’ve heard.

Yeah, show and tell about a fucking staghorn kidney stone.

Since we’re on that topic, while I was looking for coverart, I did come across the Rapunzel trichobezoar, which from the pictures is when the whole stomach, duodenum (I think that’s what’s next in line), and small intestine contain it. Those pictures were kinda horrifying.

10221889

Wait, what? How?

I didn’t look up the scholarly article, so I can’t say for sure, but I have to imagine it’s by dissolving it.

10221913

It's been decades since I read Huckleberry Finn, but IIRC Jim had one that he claimed could prophesize the future

It’s also been decades since I read Huck Finn, but that does ring a faint bell in the far corners of my memory.

10222056

Well this was interesting

Thank you!

and did I read wrong or is Red Heart mother to Rhyme?

You read correctly; Redheart is Rhyme’s mom and Dr. Stable is her father.

10222310

The bolded pronoun here is either very interesting and subtle worldbuilding or a typo. My vote is to leave it in and pretend it was the former if that wasn't the intent from the start.

It’s neither; it’s unclear pronoun usage. The ‘she’ in bold is the patient, who didn’t want to keep it.

I actually don’t know what human hospital protocol is on that--if they take something out of you which isn’t infectious, are you allowed to keep it?

10222552
From what little we saw of her in the show, Nurse Redheart is a professional and would be able to figure out something that would be safe for a classroom of school-age colts and fillies perhaps covering the basics of how the various systems inside of the body function or a small demonstration of medical magic like x-rays or something.

As to the second part, yeah now that she's retired we use it as a family joke, but at the time it was like "Mom please for the love of all things holy shut up, we don't want to hear about your 600 lb diabetic patient or what have you".

10222583

From what little we saw of her in the show, Nurse Redheart is a professional and would be able to figure out something that would be safe for a classroom of school-age colts and fillies perhaps covering the basics of how the various systems inside of the body function or a small demonstration of medical magic like x-rays or something.

I don’t doubt it, but at the same time, I don’t think Cheerilee would trust her to do the presentation without wanting to see it first--after all, what’s safe and appropriate for some fillies and colts might not be for another, and it’s also possible that there would be some things that could be upsetting to one of her students . . . and honestly, Redheart is professional enough, she’d probably insist on a pre-presentation briefing as well.

I could also see her or other medical staff being the go-to ponies for health class instruction, or sex ed, or what have you. Odds are they’d be better at it than Cheerilee anyway. Heaven knows that some of the middle school and high school teachers that I had who needed to cover that material weren’t the most effective (granted, some of that was surely a result of the school board deciding what we could and could not be taught).

As to the second part, yeah now that she's retired we use it as a family joke, but at the time it was like "Mom please for the love of all things holy shut up, we don't want to hear about your 600 lb diabetic patient or what have you".

Yeah, there’s a reason (besides HIPAA rules) that I rarely blog about anything that happens at the AFC homes. Blog posts about car repairs gone wrong are amusing; blog posts about a resident crapping his pants and trailing it across the kitchen and up the stairs are less amusing.

Login or register to comment