• Published 17th Dec 2011
  • 11,934 Views, 131 Comments

Too Shy for a Rainbow - SamRose



Fluttershy must confront her feelings for Rainbow Dash (After Silent Ponyville)

  • ...
15
 131
 11,934

Epilogue

Epilogue


“Okay, so what’re some things we both like doing?” Rainbow asked looking at a blank sheet of paper.

“W-Well…I really like watching you practice.” Fluttershy thought.

“And I always like showing off.” Rainbow said writing down ‘Flight practice’ on the paper.

“You really like my cooking…so dinners are always an option.” Fluttershy said while thinking about possible new recipes to try for Rainbow Dash.

“Full bellies, check.” Rainbow said writing down ‘Dinner’ on the paper.

“Uhm…we both like hanging out with our friends, going to Pinkie Pie’s parties and getting a good sleep.” Fluttershy listed off the most obvious things first.

“Check, check and check.” Rainbow said listing off ‘Hanging out’, ‘Parties’ and ‘Napping’.

“Uhm…” Fluttershy said tapping her chin thoughts, “How do you feel about the weather you make for Ponyville?”

“Well, I love having a good thunderstorm! Flying past lightning as it strikes is one of the most intense things ever! The wind and rain in your mane is just incredible!” Rainbow grinned thinking about it.

“O-Oh…I just kind of prefer it when there’s a light summer shower of sorts. Watching the calm rain is rather soothing.” Fluttershy said thinking about it.

“Eh…close enough.” Rainbow said writing down ‘Weather fun’ on the paper. “What about pranks?” Rainbow asked looking up at Fluttershy.

“Oh…uhm…well I guess as long as it’s in good fun and no one is offended that they’re okay…I-I’m just not good at coming up with ones.” Fluttershy admitted.

“I’m counting it. You could join me and Pinkie in doing some awesome prank fests.” Rainbow chuckled as she wrote down ‘Pranks’.

“Well…I know you’re not too interested in taking care of animals like I do…how are you about swimming?” Fluttershy remembered enjoying a good swim every so often.

“Swimming? Well…it’s not as fun as flying, but I suppose its fun, can’t say I have anything against it.” Rainbow wrote down ‘Swimming’. “I know you’re not much for competitions like me and Applejack tend to have, but is there anything physical you enjoy?”

Fluttershy couldn’t help but blush at the way Rainbow worded that, “Oh uhm…W-Well…” Fluttershy rubbed a hoof over her leg as she thought, “P-Physical…I-I like h-hugging and cuddling…being close b-but…I’m not very strong or anything. I-I’ll mostly be a cheerleader for you…a-as best I can though.”

“Mmm…” Rainbow chewed the pencil in thought, “I’ve never been too big on stuff like that…” she tilted her head while crossing her hooves, “But, we are together now. I’ll have to try some of that with you, see if I like it.” Rainbow wrote down ‘Hugging?’ on the paper.

Fluttershy blushed again, thinking happily at the thought of cuddling with Rainbow Dash. She was really sticking to her word and giving this a serious try, it really made her happy.

Suddenly there were several knocks on Fluttershy’s door.

“Oh, I’ll get it.” Fluttershy quickly got up, heading for the door. Just as she was about to open the door, it flew open suddenly.

“Oh, there you are Fluttershy-dear. It took me forever but I was finally able to get your new dress looking as good as new. I even spruced up some of the finer edges, so it should shine ever more now.” Rarity said walking into Fluttershy’s house with a white box.

“O-Oh. Thank you Rarity, I appreciate it.” Fluttershy smiled.

“Now, you didn’t give me any of the details about what happened that night, so you simply MUST tell me now. How’d it go? I can’t imagine it going too well with the state your dress was in.” Rarity said before turning to see Rainbow Dash looking at Rarity with a pencil in her mouth, “Oh, good evening Rainbow Dash, I wasn’t expecting to see you in Fluttershy’s house.”

“Well I’m here.” Rainbow grinned before putting the pencil down.

“Oh…well uhm…about that night…” Fluttershy said, not sure what to say. She looked nervously at Rainbow Dash. “You see…I…” Rainbow could see Fluttershy’s invisible question of ‘What do I do?’

“Hey, go ahead and tell her Fluttershy, she is our friend, I’m sure she’ll understand.” Rainbow Dash with a grin, not really wanting to hide anything.

“What? You’ve already told Rainbow Dash?” Rarity said amazed, “Oh you simply MUST tell me now!”

“W-Well…I didn’t really tell her…s-see, it’s like this…” Fluttershy said nervously beginning her story.


-----


“-And then she kissed me saying ‘What do you think?’ And we just kind of went from there.” Fluttershy finished her story, scrapping her hoof against the ground.

“Yea, it was shortly after that the Unicorn team came up and gave Fluttershy a full refund for the show. Man, those guys had egg on their faces.” Rainbow laughed nonchalantly.

“O-Oh…you mean…the pony you were trying to impress was…Rainbow Dash?” Rarity said still trying to process everything.

“Well…yea…I-I’m sorry I wasn’t forthcoming about it…” Fluttershy apologized softly.

“Good Heaven’s Fluttershy.” Rarity said shaking her head, “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“Hey, what’s with that tone?” Rainbow asked not liking the way Rarity said that.

“I-I’m sorry Rarity…I was just nervous.” Fluttershy rubbed her leg gently.

“Oh my, no WONDER your night was terrible.” Rarity sighed, “I gave you dating advice on how to attract a Gentlecolt, not Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash is far from a good Gentlecolt.” Rarity said in her usual sophisticated matter.

“Hey! I can be fancy when I need to, I just don’t feel like it.” Rainbow Dash huffed.

“Never the less, I gave the wrong advice for the suitor Fluttershy was trying to attract.” Rarity addressed Rainbow Dash before turning to Fluttershy with a smile, “And something simple would’ve been much better for attracting Rainbow Dash. Perhaps something with a rainbow flare to it, something that would visualize to her ‘I’m thinking of you’. Yes, it truly would make a gorgeous piece.” Rarity said smiling as she thought about it.

“S-so wait…you’re okay with Rainbow Dash and I…dating?” Fluttershy said a little surprised.

“But of course dear, whatever made you think I wouldn’t?” Rarity smiled at her dear friend, with a warming smile.

“Oh…I guess I was just nervous that you or the others wouldn’t like the idea…” Fluttershy admitted.

“Oh darling, you shouldn’t ever feel that way. We are your friends! We love you for who you are, and if you like mares then that’s fine by us. If it’s what makes you happy, then of course we support you!” Rarity said happily, “Though I must admit, I was hoping you’d fall for someone with a touch more grace, but not everypony is me I suppose.” Rarity chuckled.

“Oh haha, very funny.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes before walking up to Fluttershy, before showing Rarity a big grin, “But if you wouldn’t mind, Fluttershy and I were in the middle of some important ‘relationship’ business.” This comment elicited a large blush from Fluttershy as she tried to hide her face in her mane.

“Oh, but of course. How rude of me, I’ll go ahead and escort myself out.” Rarity smiled before heading back for the door. “Oh, and one more thing Rainbow Dash.”

“Yea, what is it?” Dash asked raising an eyebrow.

“You better treat Fluttershy right. She’s my dearest friend and I would hate to see anything sadden her.” Rarity glanced at Rainbow from the corner of her eye.

“You kiddin’ me? I’d rather lose my wings then do anything to hurt Fluttershy.” Rainbow grinned at Rarity.

“Very good. I leave her to you then.” Rarity nodded before her horn lit up, closing the door behind her.

“T-Thank you…Rainbow…t-that means a lot to me.” Fluttershy blushed as she spoke quietly.

“Hey, what’s a marefriend for?” Rainbow grinned before nuzzling up against Fluttershy. “Now come on, we need to finish this list before I figure out a good date to take you on.” Rainbow quickly walked back to where she had placed the paper before sitting down.

“Y-You? T-Taking me…on a date?” Fluttershy sounded surprised.

“Well yea. I’m taking this seriously, so it’s only fair that I take you out sometimes.” Rainbow picked up the pencil before scribbling on the paper again, “Besides, I may not know a whole lot about being mushy and romantic, but it requires effort on both parts right? You put the effort in, so it’s my turn now.”

Fluttershy blushed as a smile came to her face. “I guess you’re right.” Fluttershy happily headed towards Rainbow again. However, this time she sat down next to Rainbow, nuzzling up against her. A soft blush appeared on Rainbow’s face.

“H-Hey, that tickles.” Rainbow chuckled as Fluttershy nuzzled in close.

‘I have the best marefriend ever.’ Fluttershy thought to herself happily.

Comments ( 54 )

D'AAAAWWWW! SUCH A HAPPY STORY!

Woot I loved this story.

knighty
Site Owner

I LOVED this story when I read it originally :3

Really good stuff

This was awesome when I read it on a different site. Excellent story. Wonder if Jake will put all of his Silent Ponyville's on here too.

way too short. you neede to keep going. i'm deducting a star. 4/5

#8 · Dec 21st, 2011 · · ·

I agree... Needs expantion but... So cute

#9 · Dec 23rd, 2011 · · ·

Other than the many grammar mistakes I loved it. If you would like me to go through and tell you what and where they all are just ask on my account (Not) I have to use a guest account on my iPod...

:ajsmug: Well that was quite nice.. I love shipping! Well done.

In my short time of joining FimFiction I have already read at least thirty fanfics and of those thirty fanfics I am already at the point where I’m struggling to decide which one is my favourite. This fanfic is one of those, and for good reason, reasons to which I plan to lay out before you.

First off I am a huge fan of FlutterDash, and this is most definitely my favourite portrayal of the couple. It’s original, while most romance fanfics go about the route that both characters love one another or that both characters happen to be into mare’s, this one has Rainbow Dash being (I can’t think of a proper term for it so the following is what I figured to be the best way to describe it) oblivious to love, having never really thought on the subject. Despite this, in an incredibly touching moment, she is willing to try things out with Fluttershy, and it all manages to end happily. It is certainly unique but also feels more deep and compelling, it’s one thing if they were both in love with one another, but it is simply heart melting when one does not have feelings for the other but is willing to try the relationship out, to see if feelings could blossom. Romance on Fluttershy’s side is believable and well worded; managing to keep her in character even with the additional element of her having feelings for Rainbow Dash. It progresses not just nicely, but smoothly, and while I usually I have to complain about a fanfic for having poor pacing this is one to which I have to praise it for. Seriously, the story flows ever so well with each sentence being just the right length and each chapter ending at just the right moment. No part of it felt rushed and while the story left me longing for more it also felt complete. While the vocabulary was not amazing by any means it was put to good use, with details scattered throughout the fanfic, and when it needed too, made itself known for the right scene (for instance when describing Fluttershy’s dress, something I could picture surprisingly well in my head). While not a comedy it had some genuinely funny moments, and the emotions were so well presented that I actually found myself sad whenever Fluttershy was, and smiling whenever she was happy.

As much as I love this fanfic, like with any fanfic I do review it is my sworn duty to point out the faults as well as possible areas for the author, you in this case, to improve on. Writing, in this case spelling and grammar, was solid for the most part, with only the occasional slip in chapters 1 and 4 (such as forgetting to make the ‘d’ at the start of Dash a capital). As a result of these slips I did suffer a bit of confusion when reading chapter 4 because some of the words were in the wrong order in the sentences, but it was nothing too dire and I could make out what was supposed to be written in each scene. One criticism I do have, though what has lead to this fault I can understand, is how difficult it is to spot when a character is thinking rather than talking. This ‘ isn’t exactly the easiest of indicators to spot for when a character is thinking instead of talking which looks very similar and I would suggest using an alternative method to highlight a characters thoughts. Normally I would suggest using italics but you already used those for flashbacks, how about trying the words in bold or (if you can on this site) having the words underlined. It would make it a lot easier to discern thoughts from speech, and while there is the obvious tip off of the narration mentioning that the character ‘thought’ there is also the odd case where you have the character mentioned as having ‘thought’ of something but at the same time having them mention it out loud (early on in the Epilogue is one such case). My main criticism of this fanfic is the inclusion of the unnamed colt who had a crush on Fluttershy, not because there was such a character but because it felt unnecessary. All of the events (Angel questioning Fluttershy’s judgement, Fluttershy finding out where Rainbow Dash had gone off too) could have occurred without that character existing, and in the end it felt like the inclusion of the character came to nothing.

There are some things I can question about this fanfic (while I can easily see Angel being defensive on who Fluttershy loves I think it was presented in an overly harsh manner in this fanfic) and others to which I accept completely (like your portrayal of FlutterDash) but there are two things I can be certain on. The first, that I truly do love this fanfic enough to have read it three times within the space of a week, and second, that if the following scene were to occur in the cartoon ‘Success!’ Fluttershy thought while grinning as she pumped her hooves a little to herself’ my heart would explode from how adorable it is. Fantastic job, keep up the wonderful work!

*stands up and slowly starts to clap, my eyes teared up a bit from sad parts of the story* Bravo! Bravo! :pinkiesad2:

Epic. i usually hate when people write "shipping" and pair up ponies but i liked it in this story

Good work, Really enjoyed reading this story :)

I'm sure that nothing wrong can happen to this beautiful coup-

*Remembers that this is Silent Ponyville continuity*

Oh dear.

Magnificent work, I cant wait to get through the rest of your stories.

The story was well written and is actually believable. Now of course this builds up to Silent Ponyville 2 but in all it makes a great romance story and I can't wait to read the second part after Silent Ponyville 2.:rainbowkiss:

72747
And yet this leads up to more grim-dark adventures in the other world.
232936
Exactly. Considering this is leading to a Silent Ponyville, it's not exactly as D'AAAAWW as you would think. More like "Holy Celestia, there's going to be some rough roads ahead" sort of thing.

358640

I'd certainly agree with you if I was writing this now. As it was I was a bit inexperienced when I was writing this. I mean it was my very first time writing shipping and it shows. So I had the conclusion wrap up a lot nicer than it probably would've. A thing I fix in the eventual sequel The Rainbow's Surprise.

But thank you for enjoying the story! I'm sure I'll get around to writing more appropriate FlutterDash stuff eventually, just right now focus is on SP3. =3

I loved it! I only read the Silent Ponyville stories, I really didn't give much thought into reading the side stories... I'm glad I have though! I'll read some more of the side ones tomorrow! Keep up the wonderful writing! :twilightsmile:

I really enjoyed this. I really did.
I did and I didn't even expect to. :derpyderp2:
Fav and Like it is, then!

why cant fluttershy be a straight human. id give anything for a sweet, pretty girl like fluttershy.

this is so adorable.. now to ruin it with silent ponyville 2 :facehoof:

686189
OH JEEZ.
im sorry...
:trollestia:

such a cute story i like it quite a bit :3 on to your next one!

Kinda nice, kinda sweet. Though some of the dialogue doesn't really feel right.

and then there was cuddling:rainbowkiss:

:facehoof: I've never read something so adorable.

:yay::rainbowwild: 4 ever

Admittedly I only read this because it was the bridge between Silent Ponyville 1 & 2...but I'm so glad I did. This was one of the most delightful tales I've read in a long time. Really pulls on your heart strings. I like how you worked in the flashbacks and (especially) how Fluttershy's plans kept going awry due to the other characters' getting involved.

Big thumbs-up for you!

Ahh Fluttershy and Dash just make the best couple... Thay just make you.... DAWWWWWW/// :rainbowderp::rainbowdetermined2::rainbowhuh::rainbowkiss::rainbowlaugh::rainbowwild::yay::fluttercry::flutterrage::fluttershbad::fluttershyouch::fluttershysad:

This Flutterdash relationship is one of the best and one of the most convincing I've ever read
Fluttershy : really shy, embarassed and cute :yay:
Rainbow : comforting, loyal and protective :rainbowwild:
Nice work

I think i would be in pain if someone was pulling on my heart strings :twilightoops: But uhhhh so..im gonna give you one of these:moustache: and say -MISSION SUCCESS FLUTTERSHY WINS- and read SPV2

That was very sweet. :twilightsmile:

Normally I wouldn't have read this story. I only did so because I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any context before starting Silent Ponyville 2.

I'm not opposed to shipping stories, but I greatly dislike the idea of Mane6/Mane6 shipping. I generally skip stories with that as the primary focus. While reading stories where such ships are a secondary plot element, I usually either tolerate the ship for the sake of the rest of the story, or give it a resounding thumbs-down if the main plot is too weak.

Now that you know the perspective I'm coming from, I hope you will better appreciate what it means when I say... This story gets a thumbs-up from me.

And so, the sweet respite must sadly one to an end.:raritydespair:
A new chapter of Nightmares I will now discover. What will become of the two in the next arc?:twilightoops:
Excellent work, dear Author.:fluttershysad:

3459337

In my headcanon and this canon, Fluttershy is the oldest of the mane 6.

Flutterdash greatness. I honestly didn't know I'd like this story but this was beautiful.:pinkiehappy:

Does anyone know how old fluttershy is because I think she is either 18 or 19.

ERMAGOD SO MANY FEELS!


I LOVED IT!

in order to understand this and its sequel, should i read silet ponyville?
and can i read silent ponyville 2 without reading the first one?

I find it interesting that you did a light hearted and lovable story between Silent Ponyvill 1 and 2.

Good story by the way.

4032192 It's a good idea to read Silent Ponyville before Silent Ponyville two, because there's a few things you won't understand if you don't.

But reading Silent Ponyville won't help you understand this. The main character was Pinkie Pie, and had nothing to do with this.

4736680
None taken, I actually have no idea but it does affect people's behavior when they see no comments and some decide to post, "First" when they are commenting. Also, I made this comment almost 2 years ago and I don't see why I posted that but I guess people change.

Edit: Thanks for that comment by the way; I forgot that this story was updated. :derpytongue2:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I wish more people had read this story back when it first came out and used it as a template for writing romance. The ending is the most realistic and in-character thing I've ever seen a shipping tag on. There's no "I've always loved you", there's a little drama but not much. This is entirely what I look for in a shipfic, bravo.

I have to wonder how it has anything to do with Silent Ponyville though. Not that I remember that story much.

4823768 The only real relation is that it takes place right afterwards, hence it starting with Pinkie Pie coming back from a month-long trip.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

4842847
That makes sense. It does stand alone perfectly.

4844122 Well, it also adds a little background to Silent Ponyville 2, but it's not required reading. It's a good story, though.

Login or register to comment