• Published 19th May 2020
  • 10,316 Views, 1,818 Comments

Rekindled Embers - applezombi



Hundreds of years after the death of Twilight Sparkle, a brutal theocracy rules over ponies with an iron hoof. A young pegasus mare slowly learns the truth about her world, and the lies her faith is built on.

  • ...
45
 1,818
 10,316

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 60

Chapter 60

Report sent via dragon fire scroll from Brigadier General Breaking Wave of Fort Tide Watch to High General North Wind, Grand Master of the Knights Adamant

General-

It is my grim duty to inform you of a new threat. Or perhaps an old one that has grown cleverer.

As per your orders, my Knights and marines have been at a heightened state of readiness ever since the news came of the Discordant raids around Appleoosa and the surrounding area. Sir Steel Shell and Lady Sea Salt are hard at work, but I fear they are chasing shadows. The enemy is very difficult to pin down, and refuses to engage us in a pitched battle.

Yesterday I ordered my captains to make ready the Sunrise Fleet. My intent was to move several ships along the southern coastline, to provide a backdrop and hopefully harry the Discordant into a pincer, with Sir Steel and Lady Sea at their throats and my cannons at their flanks.

During a customary pre-sailing inspection, though, my soldiers discovered sabotage. Almost by chance, or more likely the beneficence of Saint Rainbow, my sailors found underwater explosives cemented to the bottom of at least nine of my vessels. While attempting to remove the explosives, one of them was set off, resulting in the deaths of three marines and wounding seven others.

Blue Feathers sank right in the harbor; there was no saving her. She was my favorite ship.

We scrapped the plan of attack and immediately launched an investigation into the sabotage, removing explosives from as many of the ships as we could find. I also ordered an entire squad of Knights to begin patrolling the harbor underwater, using water breathing spells.

Several marines found them hours later, washed up on shore, unconscious but otherwise unharmed.

I will be conducting a thorough investigation and shall provide you with more information as soon as I have it. I suspect there may be a new threat coming from under the waters. I will keep you apprised.

Sir Breaking Wave

Old Canterlot, 1113 AF

“This is not how I expected to return to this place,” Emberglow whispered softly to Bubblegum. The two mares walked side by side, surrounded on all sides by crumbling, dilapidated buildings. The snow fell all around them, and the only sounds were hushed chatter between soldiers and Knights and the crunch of hooves on fresh snow.

“How did you expect to?” Bubblegum asked curiously.

“I don’t know. Maybe as a teacher?” Emberglow said.

Bubblegum giggled. “Why did I already know you were going to say that?” She nudged Emberglow’s armored barrel with one hoof. “Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll still find a way to lecture and shape young minds. It’s just your armor color that’s different.”

“I think my own forces could very well use the instruction of an experienced combat medic,” Princess Flurry said from Emberglow’s other side.

Emberglow blushed. “I’m not experienced, highness. I’m barely—"

“You’ve seen more combat than most of my entire armed forces combined,” Princess Flurry cut her off.

Emberglow couldn’t exactly argue with that. She nodded.

“Would you believe I was with her when she popped her combat cherry?” Bubblegum chimed in, and Emberglow glared at her.

“Bubblegum, that kind of language is not appropriate in front of—”

But Princess Flurry Heart was, in fact, giggling.

“I don’t know, Emberglow. The princess thinks I’m funny. Besides, you were excellent in that fight.”

“I…” Emberglow didn’t know what to say. On the one hoof, Bubblegum’s respect was something she’d never sought to earn, but was an unexpected gift. On the other hoof, that was the first time she’d met Lightning Bug. It wasn’t a memory she wanted to revisit.

Bubblegum seemed to realize she’d overstepped. “Aw, damn, Emberglow, I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean to—”

“It’s fine,” Emberglow said in a rush, glancing at Princess Flurry, who was trying not to look too curious. “I’d rather not talk about it though.”

The three of them lapsed into silence. Emberglow had no desire to break it, so she merely listened to the continued sound of their hoofsteps on the snow. She kept her eyes on the buildings all around them; the crumbling stone, turned gray and yellow with age, hiding the secrets of a dead city over a thousand years old.

And, as far as Emberglow knew, hiding Mystic attackers, too.

It was probably safe. They were far behind the front lines, where Rarity and the Discordant unicorn captain, Snowfall, led the way. They were even further behind the scouts, mostly changelings in disguise, flitting between the streets and ruins in animal form. Princess Flurry had argued against this; she was a warrior herself, fully capable of fighting and defending herself. But Heartwing had prevailed eventually.

“You’re our ace-in-the-hole,” he had said. “Our surprise wild card. I’d rather keep you back until you’re needed, in reserve. Besides, you’re still recovering from your wounds.”

She’d seen his logic, though she’d been grumpy about it. The plus side, though, was that Bubblegum had been assigned to her defense alongside Emberglow.

Emberglow had, understandably, been nervous about introducing her boisterous friend to the decidedly royal pony. But Princess Flurry and Bubblegum seemed to be hitting it off nicely.

“I’m with you, though, Emberglow,” Bubblegum was finally the one to break the silence. “It’s surreal being back here. I never thought I’d return. Like, ever.”

“Was that before or after you joined the Discordant?” Emberglow teased a little. Bubblegum laughed.

“Either. I just never really liked studying, you know? I did what I had to do, but I mostly made it because of a talent for fighting and a skill with physical enhancement spells. I spent most of my time in Old Canterlot trying not to get caught sneaking out into the ruins to…”

She cut off suddenly, her white fur turning a little pink.

“Oh?” Princess Flurry said.

“Y-you have to understand, it was before I was with either of my husbands,” Bubblegum muttered, and both the princess and Emberglow laughed a little. “But yes, I used to sneak stallions out here to… uh…” She cleared her throat. “The danger was a real turn-on.”

“Danger?” Princess Flurry asked.

“Nopony was actually allowed into the ruins besides the Knights Mystic,” Emberglow explained. “They patrol the place to watch for wayward squires sneaking out of the Palace.

“I’d heard they use the palace for their training ground,” Princess Flurry darkened, and Emberglow and Bubblegum both paled, looking at her.

For a moment, she’d forgotten that the mare standing next to her was an ancient creature who had lived through centuries.

“I forgot, you’ve been here before, huh?” Bubblegum said with her usual lack of tact. “How long has it been?”

She was clearly ignoring the shushing motion Emberglow was making with her hooves.

“The last time I was here was Twilight Sparkle’s funeral,” Flurry said, and it was enough to shut even Bubblegum up. Flurry’s forlorn gaze drifted over the ruined buildings and broken streets around them.

“Would you tell us about it?” Emberglow asked, surprising herself. She wasn’t even sure why. “I mean, if you want to. I’m sure it’s painful. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have asked.”

“No, it’s fine,” Flurry said. “Hmm. It has been a while.”

She swept a hoof wide, over the ruins. “I’d never seen the city so… alive. It was full of ponies, and full of color. She would have loved it. The roofs and windows were draped with flags; Equestrian flags, and flags in her own colors. Ponies were in the streets, mourning, and celebrating Twilight Sparkle’s life.”

Flurry winced, her lip twisting in a scowl.

“I was so angry. How dare they. They’d practically forced her out politically. Piece by piece. At least, they’d been trying to. By that point Mother and I had barely ever visited here; if we wanted to see Auntie Twily, we’d visit her at her castle in Ponyville. She was spending more and more time there anyways, with Fluttershy’s declining health and Discord’s deterioration.

“It just struck me as being so hypocritical. The common ponies loved her, of course. But the nobility were just putting on a show of grief. I imagined in every single pompous, overly primped up face a hint of glee. ‘Finally’, those eyes seemed to say. ‘With her out of the way we can have everything we wanted.’ I was sick with anger. And grief.”

Emberglow tried to imagine what Princess Flurry was saying. The buildings around her all done up in lavender drapes, ponies moving about with solemn expressions of mourning. The glint of pleasure in the eyes of overly dressed nobles. Only in her imagination it was Knights; she could see Steadfast Word’s face, his lips spouting pious lies while his eyes sparkled with ambition. It was a chilling thought.

“I never saw a reason to come back after that,” Princess Flurry continued. “There was no need. The ponies here rejected us, so we abandoned them.”

Princess Flurry’s ears drooped with guilt. Emberglow was about to say something.

Bubblegum snorted. “That’s dumb. You didn’t abandon them. They abandoned you. You were always there, they just had to reach out.” The irrepressible Bubblegum reached up high to pat Flurry Heart on her armored withers. “Don’t beat yourself up about stupid stuff, Princess.”

“Bubblegum! You can’t talk to a princess that way!” Emberglow hissed.

“Knight Bubblegum, you may absolutely talk to this princess that way,” Princess Flurry said. “You remind me of my great granddaughter. You’d be fast friends with Topaz, I imagine.”

“I’ve heard a bit from Emberglow,” Bubblegum said. “I’d love to meet her.”

The conversation paused when a scout appeared; a short, blue-maned pegasus stallion wearing Discordant armor.

“Highness,” he saluted. “Marchioness. Lady Rarity has secured a facility in which to set up our command center and field hospital for the attack. It’s safe. I can escort you in, if you like.”

“Lead the way, Sir…”

“Knight Lieutenant Havoc Sprint, highness. This way, please.”

They followed the sky blue pegasus towards the ruin of a two-story building. The top floor was completely exposed on its sides, but the roof was still partially intact.

“Keep your heads down,” Havoc said. “As long as you can’t see the castle, there’s no chance of them seeing us. Once we’re under cover we can walk about more freely.”

“Have there been many enemy scouts?” Emberglow asked.

“A few,” Havoc said. “So far none have made it back to the walls. Lady Rarity says the assault will begin in a few minutes.”

Emberglow’s heart began to pound.

“You want to be there with her?” Bubblegum said, and Emberglow nodded. “Me too. I get it, don’t worry. But I’m sure we’ll be busy back at the command center. Maybe I’ll be able to guard the princess so you can help out with the medics. I’ll introduce you to the head medic.”

“I think I should be perfectly safe in Lady Bubblegum’s hooves, if you wished to assist the healers,” Princess Flurry said as they stepped into the building. “Under the cover of these ruins, the enemy will not be able to attack us easily. And you won’t be too far.”

“Thank you, Princess.” She knew what both of them were doing, and she didn’t mind. Keeping her hooves busy would help with the worry.

Inside, the ruin was much cleaner than Emberglow had expected. Several ponies, dressed in gray and white camouflage, were moving about the large room, clearing out rubble and organizing supplies. In the south corner, several ponies dressed in similar camouflage robes, only with a red cross on their backs, were setting up cots under the direction of a yellow pegasus mare with a glittery white mane.

“Highness! Over here, Princess!”

The call came from the other end of the ruin, where there was a table set up, complete with cushions to sit on. The pegasus calling them over was familiar. Emberglow and the princess approached.

“Welcome to Camp First Step, Princess Flurry, Marchioness Emberglow.” It was Colibri, the bar owner from Angel’s Rest. She smiled as she met Emberglow’s eyes, and even waved happily to Bubblegum. “I’m Colibri, camp quartermaster. I’ve got a station set up for you over here, where you can take reports and help direct the assault. Let me know if there’s anything you need; I’ve been asked to provide food and refreshments to the camp staff.”

“Some water would be lovely, plus whatever my faithful guards require,” the princess said.

“Water is fine,” Emberglow said.

“Beer!” Bubblegum cheered, then immediately subsided when Emberglow glared at her. “…or water for now. You did bring some of your vanilla ale, though, didn’t you Colibri?”

“For later,” Colibri scolded with a smile, then rushed off, returning with three mugs of water balanced on her back. She set them at the table. “Marchioness Rarity says she’ll have a report on their readiness within the next minute or so. You can await it here while you rest up.”

“Where is Heartwing?” Flurry asked, and Colibri pointed to one of the hospital cots, where Heartwing appeared to be engaged in an argument with the glittery-maned pegasus. “Emberglow, would you go check on him? I’d like him to assist here, if he can.”

“Yes, highness,” Emberglow paused long enough to take a large sip of her water before moving over to see what the two were arguing about.

“…need recovery time, sir, not more duties! You lost a chunk of your leg, for Saint Rarity’s sake!”

“You know,” Heartwing was arguing back. “You shouldn’t invoke the Saints when you’ve literally met this one in real life. Probably bad form.”

“You’re trying to change the subject, and it won’t work!” the medic fired back. “Sir, you’re just going to have to accept the fact that you’re grounded for the rest of this mission. We’ll get you a prosthesis as soon as we can, but even so you’re not fighting again for a while!”

“Destiny may disagree with you, Life,” Heartwing said softly.

“Destiny can wait for you to get better!” she snarled back.

Emberglow cleared her throat, and the pegasus jerked her gaze up.

“Didn’t mean to interrupt,” Emberglow began, then shook her head. “Well, I did. But Princess Flurry requires Heartwing’s presence.”

“What?” the medic snapped, even as Heartwing stuck his tongue out at her and started to rise from the cot. “There’s no way…”

“Excuse me,” Emberglow said, holding a hoof out to stop Heartwing. “That doesn’t mean you can defy a medic’s orders, sir. You’re still confined to bed. We’ll just have to take your bed over to the command center.”

“But…” Heartwing whined. “That’s not very dignified.”

“Too bad,” Emberglow said. “It’s what you get for tormenting a medic.” She held out her hoof to the mare, who shook it. “Hi, I’m Emberglow.”

“We all know your name, Marchioness,” the mare said. “I’m Life Flight, chief medic here, perpetual thorn in the side of recalcitrant patients.”

“Thanks for keeping this scoundrel in line, Life Flight,” Emberglow said, while Heartwing sputtered. “Now, if you’ll get the other side of this cot we can move him over to the command center.”

“Don’t you dare jostle me,” Heartwing finally scowled.

“Just for that, sir, I’m adding two weeks to your convalescence time,” Life Flight said firmly, and Heartwing squawked with indignation. “Don’t worry, we’ll keep you from falling off.”

Between the two pegasi, they were able to move a fuming Heartwing over to the table where Bubblegum, Colibri, and Princess Flurry waited.

“Heartwing,” the princess asked, voice coolly polite. “Are you recovering well?”

“I’m being made a prisoner in my own camp,” Heartwing grumbled. “Lorded over by tyrannical medics and their allies.”

“Far be it from me to gainsay the informed opinions of our finest healers,” Princess Flurry said. “I’m glad you could join us, though.” She addressed Life Flight. “You’ll be able to fit him with a prosthetic, medic…”

“Life Flight, ma’am. Um, er, your highness. And yes, we will, but these things take time. We’ll sort out a temporary solution so he can still move around.”

“Thank you, Medic Flight. I’m sure there are other patients you need to see to.” It was a clear dismissal, and Life Flight gave an awkward bow before returning back to the hospital corner of the indoor camp. “Now. We’re all here. What comes next?”

“Wait, where are Terminus, Lofty, and Topaz?” Emberglow asked. She’d expected to see Topaz among the other medics, providing emotional support.

“Duchess Topaz is currently in the field, ready to help transport the wounded back to the hospital,” Colibri said. “Lofty and Terminus are preparing with the assault force. Terminus as long-range support, Lofty is leading a platoon of shock troops.”

“Shock troops?” Emberglow asked with alarm.

“The plan is to take as much advantage of surprise as possible. We are aware of several small breaches in the palace walls, often used by rebellious students to sneak into the ruins themselves,” Heartwing explained. Emberglow remembered using one such breach herself, with Lofty. “If we’re fast and quiet enough, we can get infantry past those holes and inside the grounds before they can seal the palace against us.”

“Why not seal them to begin with?” Bubblegum asked. “They have to know the students do this.”

“If I had to guess,” Heartwing said. “I’d say it’s on purpose. Young ponies need an outlet. They need to feel rebellious. This gives them a somewhat safe way to expend those instincts.”

“That doesn’t seem sinister enough,” Emberglow muttered.

“That, or they do it to see who’s willing to rebel. Who likes to color outside the line, so they know who to keep an eye on in the future.”

That sounded more likely to Emberglow, and Bubblegum nodded grimly.

“Whatever the reason, if those cracks are still unguarded, we’ll be able to sneak in a strike force,” Heartwing continued. “The sun is still two hours from rising, so we have a chance to take the walls before they even know we’re here.”

“Do you really think we’ll be that lucky?” Princess Flurry asked, and Heartwing shook his head.

“No plan lasts very long beyond first contact. But the element of surprise is still a great point in our favor. Besides, taking the walls with minimal little bloodshed should be one of our most important priorities.”

“Indeed,” Flurry said. “We’re here to liberate, not conquer.”

“They won’t see it that way, highness,” Heartwing said. “I’ve been trying to tell them that for three centuries.”

“With violence,” Flurry shot back.

“What do you think we’re doing today?” Heartwing said. “What do you think we’ve already done? Today is going to be violent, no matter what we do. We can only minimize the damage.”

“Well, we can’t do much,” Bubblegum said. “Not much more than wait, that is.”

Everypony at the table looked uncomfortable. Emberglow couldn’t help but wonder what Rarity was up to, right now.

They waited for an eternity. Emberglow was glad nopony had set up a clock; otherwise she’d be counting the seconds.

“Hey,” Bubblegum began suddenly. “I just thought about it. Princess Flurry here is responsible for raising the sun, right? At least that’s what they were saying back when we marched. Couldn’t she just… delay it a little so we have more darkness?”

The horror on Flurry Heart’s face let everypony know exactly what she thought of that tactic.

“No, she shouldn’t,” Heartwing said. “We’re not disrupting the entire world’s natural processes just to satisfy some strategic whim. Our foes would automatically be put on alert. It’s not smart.”

“Funny to hear you saying that,” Flurry grumbled. “I remember Aunty Twilight’s stories.”

“Oh, right,” Heartwing said, tapping his chin with his remaining forehoof. “I did mess with the day/night cycle for fun once.”

“Once?”

“A few times,” he admitted flippantly. “I’ve learned better.”

“Or you simply can’t any longer,” Flurry shot back, and Heartwing shrugged.

“A little of column A, a little of column B,” he said. “But good thinking, Bubblegum. Might be nice to have that idea in our back pocket in case we need a…”

“No.” Flurry said with an air of finality. “I would never—”

“Heartwing!” Terminus’ familiar voice cut over the conversation, and everypony looked up. “Princess Flurry!” He rushed over to the table and bowed. “Sir! Everypony is in position. The assault can begin at your command.”

“The state of the walls?” Heartwing said tersely. “Any scouts? Were we noticed?”

“Guard rotations are two-hour shifts. We have a half hour before the patrols we’ve subdued will be counted as missing. Changeling infiltrators posing as Mystic patrols are continuing throughout the ruins, keeping up the appearance that everything is fine. Meanwhile, Lofty and Rarity are both in position within sight of their breaches. On your signal, they’ll rush the gaps and keep them open, escorting our ponies and other creatures within the walls.”

“What kind of numbers are we dealing with?” Heartwing asked.

“I’d say it’s an even fight,” Terminus said. “Unless the squires join in.”

This sent a cold icicle into Emberglow’s heart. They’d have to fight children?

“So the advantage is ours, because of surprise. What are the odds the squires will join in?”

“If they wake up?” Heartwing said. “Some will rush to the castle’s defense, certainly. It’s a reality we have to accept. My ponies are trained to subdue non-lethally whenever possible, but we have to be prepared for that possibility.” He turned sober eyes on Flurry Heart. “Do I order the attack, highness?”

Flurry Heart took in a long, deep breath, her eyes closed. When she opened them they were ablaze. “Yes. Take this palace back from the usurpers. They shall walk my Aunt’s halls no longer.”

Terminus saluted and flew out of the building.

* * * * *

Waiting was agony.

Emberglow busied herself checking on the soldiers wounded in the charge towards the mountain. Most of their injuries were from the train crash itself, but there were a few gunshot victims. The Knights that had come in with Snowfall also had several wounded, mostly gunshots and blades.

Emberglow recognized one of the captains who led the Discordant forces, a stallion with a green mane. Currently he was lightly asleep, snoring in a cot. She moved over to check on his bandage, wrapped around his head. Slowly she unwound the bloody cloth to change it, revealing the wound underneath.

It was a slice from some kind of blade. The pony underneath her stirred as she unwound the bandage, opening a green eye to look up at her.

“Stay still, I’m just checking on the wound, and the bandage.” The cut was healing well; It was a clean gash, slicing from just above the patient’s eye towards his mane line. It looked as if it had been mending for a week, not a few hours.

“Thanks,” the stallion said. “But…”

“If you’re going to tell me to see to other ponies, you need to hush,” Emberglow said sharply, and the stallion laughed. “There’s no emergency cases right now. So I’m changing bandages, checking on things. Keeping busy.”

“O-okay, yeah, I get that,” he said, his voice still rough from sleep. “Battle’s happening now, right?”

“Right now, yes,” Emberglow looked back towards the direction of the palace. “And I’m not there.”

“But there’s ponies involved in it you care about deeply?” he asked knowingly. Emberglow gulped.

“My marefriend. My best friend. His fiancée. Another close friend. And I’m just…”

“Keeping busy,” he echoed, and she nodded. “Don’t let me stop you, Lady…”

“Emberglow. And you are?”

“Emberglow... oh! The Marchioness!” Emberglow was starting to get tired of hearing that. “I'm Vex. Hiya. I can try to keep you company 'til your marefriend gets back, if you like? Wait... from what I've heard, that's Saint Rarity herself, right?”

“Please, just call me Emberglow,” she said, flinching a little at the title. It wasn’t the first time she’d heard it from the Discordant forces. They seemed to know far too much about her personal life. The rumor mill at Angel’s Rest must be working in overdrive. That, or Heartwing’s reports back were far too detailed. She’d have to ask him about that. “And yes. Though if you call her ‘saint’ to her face she won’t like it.”

“Right. No titles. Got it,” Vex replied with a grin.

“Well, you’re healing just fine,” Emberglow said, as she wiped down the area around his wound one last time before applying a fresh bandage. “I’m sure you’ll be cleared back for field duty soon.”

“Thanks muchly, Lady Emberglow,” he said with an eager glance towards the door. “Sorry if it seems like I'm getting a little antsy here.”

Each patient was the same. Each Knight Discordant, each regular soldier, was just a ball of nervous energy, without exception. Every single one wanted to go back out again.

“We’re finally doing something that matters,” one of them, a Discordant unicorn mare told her. “For the first time, we’re making visible progress. We’re taking the fight to the bastards at last.”

Silently Emberglow agreed. But there was more to it than that. Yes, they were doing something. But out there were also ponies dying. And she could do nothing about it. And maybe…

“Emberglow? Medic Flight?” Princess Flurry’s call across from the room perked her ears up. “I need you.”

Emberglow rushed over, the worry in Princess Flurry’s voice filling her with dread. Life Flight was right behind her. “Yes, Princess?”

“This filly just brought word,” Princess Flurry indicated a unicorn squire at her side. “Wounded will be incoming in less than a minute. I’ve ordered the Diarchy’s injured brought here, as well. I won’t leave those ponies out on the field.”

Life Flight nodded. “Finding enough beds might be difficult, but we’ll do our best, highness.”

“What about security?” Bubblegum asked. “Enemy Knights and squires in the middle of our command center? I don’t like it.”

“I want Emberglow in charge of healing our enemies. Triage, and stabilize them so they won’t die, please. I don’t care if their convalescence is long. So long as they live.”

“Do we have a plan for the prisoners?” Heartwing asked from his cot.

“I have faith in your ability to improvise,” Flurry said, and Heartwing scowled. “I don’t want them harmed, though. We’re not monsters.”

“Neither am I,” Heartwing shot back with a little heat. The two ancient ponies stared pointedly at each other long enough that Emberglow felt like she might have to step in between them.

“Of course not,” Princess Flurry sighed. The tension in the room released, and Emberglow saw all the ponies around her relax. “I know you’ll do your best.”

“Thank you, Princess. Bubblegum? Emberglow? Let’s talk.”

The two mares crowded close around his cot as Princess Flurry continued to chat with the messenger squire.

“My primary concern is Princess Flurry’s safety,” Heartwing said. “Bubblegum, that’s your priority. No Diarchy personnel are to get near her at any time for any reason. We’ll ask the scouts if there is another building we can relocate the princess’ command center into, but I doubt she’ll allow it. She seems to want to stay close to the wounded ponies.”

“We’ll set up a partition, so at least they can’t see,” Bubblegum said, and Emberglow blinked at her, surprised. “What? I have clever ideas sometimes.”

“Very well. Do it, Bubblegum,” Heartwing said. “Emberglow, this only gets complicated if the Diarchy ponies see an opportunity. Don’t give them one. Secure them to their cots, and project strength and intimidation. Can you do that?”

“I’ll talk to the quartermaster about some restraints,” Emberglow said, feeling a pit in her stomach. This was not the kind of medicine she was used to. But she could adapt. She tried to fill her voice with confidence.

“Good. And try to segregate our wounded from theirs. I don’t want a fight breaking out.”

“Yes, sir. Anything else?”

“For now, no. I’ll be close if you need anything.”

Emberglow returned to the hospital corner, where Medic Flight was already condensing the creatures already in her care to one side. Ponies who could move on their own were moving, and others were being carried by the other medics. She looked around until she spotted Colibri, waving her over. The quartermaster had her own desk set up, near the command center.

“You need something, Lady Emberglow?” she asked.

“Straps. Or ropes. We have enemy wounded coming in, and Princess Flurry would like them secured but treated well. That means bed restraints.” The sensation in the bottom of her stomach was still there. “We have very little time.”

“I’m on it, ma’am.” Colibri even saluted her. Another stone added to the rest of the weight in her gut. Since when did she deserve to be in a command role? Guilt piling on top of guilt.

You don’t deserve any of this. Imposter.

“Thank you, Colibri,” Emberglow said, far more confidently than she felt. Heartwing had said to project strength. Perhaps that meant with the friendly soldiers as well as with the prisoners.

They’ll all know. They’re not stupid.

Emberglow, trying to remain calm, took a moment to do some deep breathing. She knew the next bit would be chaotic. Hopefully she had a few seconds to center herself before…

“Wounded incoming!”

The shout made her jerk her eyes open. Empire soldiers and yellow-armored Knights started to filter in, helping limping ponies; or carrying them on their backs or stretchers. Life Flight and the other medics began to guide them towards available beds. Emberglow stood back, waiting for her own patients while she scanned the incoming faces, hoping and praying she wouldn’t see anypony familiar.

And then she did.

“Terminus!” she cried out as the familiar black pegasus limped in. His head was bandaged, but the cloth was already soaked through with red. Emberglow took a step forward, but one of the other medics interposed to stop her.

“We’ll handle it, ma’am,” the medic said. “Just a head wound. Yours are coming soon.”

Terminus even managed a small smile, waving with a hoof as he stumbled about. “At least set me next to that fine fellow over there.”

The medic guided him over next to Heartwing, who was sitting up on his own cot and radiating tense concern.

“Stay where you are, sir,” Terminus said, even as Heartwing started to rise. “I’m fine. Just didn’t duck quick enough when some pegasus purple objected to my presence. With a sword.”

“Lie down here, sir,” the medic said, easing Terminus into the cot. “We’ll get you fixed up soon.”

Emberglow forced herself to turn her attention away from her friend. He would be fine. He would!

Now she just had to wait and see if any more of her friends came through the door. She tried not to dwell on that thought.

The Diarchy wounded did not arrive like the others, but rather escorted by a guard of yellow-armored Knights. Emberglow’s breath caught in her throat when she saw just how many of the enemy wounded were wearing gray squire robes.

The prisoners were unbound but escorted under arms towards their beds. Emberglow noticed that Bubblegum had, in fact, found a makeshift partition somewhere, a ramshackle curtain cobbled together from a tent in order to block the command center from view. She looked back at the incoming ponies, seeing pain, terror, and misery on their faces.

They weren’t her enemy. They were just injured young mares and stallions.

“You there!” Emberglow called out to the lead guard. “Assign beds. Medics, begin triage assessment. All of you, stay calm. You are safe; you will not be harmed. You are here to receive treatment for your wounds. Please follow instructions so we can heal you.”

“Squires, you are ordered not to cooperate! Anypony who accepts medical treatment from heretics is a traitor!” one of the prisoners cried out. Emberglow felt a surge of anger. She made eye contact with the ponies she’d given orders to, who nodded and began their work, before approaching the rebellious Knight.

It was an earth pony mare, wearing blue Adamant robes tattered and stained by blood. Emberglow got right up in her face. Her black mane was matted with sweat and grime, and her blue eyes looked forward, focused on the opposite wall and refusing to meet Emberglow’s own eye.

“Lapidary. Captain. Knight Adamant.” She snapped her mouth shut after that.

“Captain Lapidary,” Emberglow began. “Are you familiar with page fifty-nine of the Knight Regulation Code?”

The captain blinked in shock, before resuming her distant stare.

“Allow me to remind you,” Emberglow said, shoving her worry aside as she watched soldiers muscle uncooperative squires and Knights into hospital cots. “It tells us that ‘In cases of severe injury, incapacitation, or extreme danger to life and limb, the highest ranking medical officer of any unit may take command over his or her superior officer, should said officer be deemed medically or mentally unfit for his or her command.’ I am the medic in charge of you ponies. You can cooperate, or I can declare you medically unfit and assume command myself.”

This got a reaction. Captain Lapidary looked at her and snorted. “You’re insane.”

“No, I’m terrified,” Emberglow said. There was a flicker of orange light from the periphery of her vision. “And I’m sure you are too. Who wouldn’t be? Old Canterlot was supposed to be safe, and now it isn’t.”

“Your doing,” the captain snarled.

“Yes,” Emberglow said. The orange light flashed again. Emberglow glanced around a bit to see where it was coming from. “We brought war to this mountain. I won’t insult you by trying to justify it. We did what we had to do.”

The captain tried to talk, but Emberglow interrupted her. “Now you can make the best of a bad situation, or you can make it worse. All I want is to heal. To keep as many ponies alive as I can. That’s all I care about right now.”

There was going to be more defiance. Emberglow could see it in the captain’s eyes. But something shook the ground, as light flashed from outside. The air vibrated with the sound of explosions. And suddenly the defiance in the captain’s eyes evaporated.

It was replaced with worry. And terror.

Emberglow felt the same in the pounding of her heart. Explosions. And Rarity was out there. Rarity and Lofty and Topaz. And things were exploding.

She was breathing hard, she realized. And the captain noticed it too.

For a few silent breaths the two mares stared at each other, mirrors of fear and worry.

Then Emberglow blinked, and the moment passed. Captain Lapidary looked to the ground.

“Please, Captain,” Emberglow looked over at the squires being laid in hospital beds. Some were struggling. Emberglow saw a pair of medics holding down a Knight who was fighting back, thrashing and attempting to batter them with his hooves despite the bloody bandages that surrounded them.

Meanwhile, in the cot next to them, a wounded squire gasped and whimpered in pain, ignored.

Ponies were going to die.

Emberglow looked up, and saw that Captain Lapidary had followed her gaze. She gulped.

“Please. All I want to do is heal.” Emberglow repeated. Once again the orange light pulsed in her peripheral vision. Captain Lapidary nodded slowly.

“Ponies!” she called out loudly. “Listen to my orders. You may answer questions about your injuries, your name, and your rank. Nothing more. Allow these healers to treat you.”

Nonetheless, the sounds of struggle kept going for a while. Emberglow watched as the wounded Knight, still wrestling with his healers, cast furious eyes over at Captain Lapidary before subsiding and slumping down into his bed.

“Thank you,” Emberglow breathed, as she guided the Captain to her own bed.

“It was not for you,” Lapidary spat.

“I understand. Thank you anyways,” Emberglow said. Her mind was still focused on the explosions she’d heard. What was happening out there? Who would be coming in next? And how broken would they be?

For a while, Emberglow busied herself with the work. The captain’s wounds seen to, Emberglow moved from bed to bed.

Most of the squires were too severely injured to offer any sort of resistance, but the medics dutifully restrained them to their cots, as ordered. Emberglow went between the patients, making sure the hoof cuffs or ropes binding them to their beds would not interfere with their treatment.

Each face was the same. A mix of shock, hatred, fear, even numbness. Most of them refused to meet her eyes or even look at her. Some glared at the yellow bands on her armor in contempt. One even spat at her.

And you’re shocked by this?

Emberglow ignored the voice. Just another worry. Just another arrow being slung at her, bouncing off the armor of her focus. And focus was all she had.

Every so often Emberglow would glance up at the partition that had been raised between the hospital and the command center. She could see Princess Flurry’s mane on occasion; she was, after all, taller than the average pony. Emberglow could see her patients glancing over on occasion as well, fear and curiosity both in their wide eyes.

Emberglow worked for an eternity, the patients blending together in her memory. She was working on autopilot. It didn’t hurt that most of the cases weren’t life threatening; she knew from speaking with Life Flight that most wounded were receiving emergency treatment in the field before being brought here.

It was a terrible combination of circumstances; as the minutes ticked on, Emberglow grew bored. And in the fertile ground of her boredom, the voices of her guilt grew louder and louder.

You’re in here, safe and warm, out of the snow, out of the bloodshed. You know if it weren’t for your silly oath you’d be able to be by her side.

Emberglow ignored it.

These children are right to hate you, you know. You brought death and terror. You remember your time here, learning. It was barely a year ago. They should be enjoying themselves, not fearing for their lives.

She ignored that one too.

If they die out there, if Lofty dies, or Topaz or –

“Shut up!” Emberglow hissed, earning herself a terrified glance from the colt squire who’s broken rib she was setting. “Not you!” she snapped, and he flinched, wincing in pain. She was about to try to say something, but the haze of fear in his eyes made her pause.

Now you’re bullying innocent foals. Well done.

She needed to get out. She needed something to occupy her mind. She needed…

“Lady Emberglow?”

It was Colibri, looking harried, with large circles of exhaustion under her eyes. Her mane was frazzled and her clothing was rumpled. She looked like Emberglow felt. But her gaze was still strong.

“Princess Flurry needs you. I have instructions for the other medics to take over your tasks here.”

“On it,” Emberglow said. Colibri trotted over to speak with the head medic, while Emberglow moved over towards the partition.

On the other side, Bubblegum was standing dutifully next to Princess Flurry, behind the table full of maps and documents. Terminus and Heartwing were side by side in their beds. There was another pony, too: the same scout as before, the short pegasus stallion named Havoc Sprint.

“What is it?” Emberglow asked, her heart pounding. “Is somepony hurt?” Her gaze drifted to Heartwing and Terminus. “Somepony else?”

“Of course there are wounded, Emberglow,” Princess Flurry said, her voice calm. “But that’s not why you’re here. The Palace has been secured, and the command center is moving inside the walls.”

Emberglow’s wings sprung out as if she was ready to leap into the air, to fly off. Rarity. Rarity was there. She was in the castle. She was safe.

Right? They would have said something if she wasn’t.

Are you so sure? Maybe they’re protecting you.

“Princess Flurry will be going to the front. And she requires all her protections. Full battery of shields, Emberglow, Bubblegum. Nopony with so much as a toothpick gets close enough to even muss up her mane,” Heartwing said.

“Yes, sir.” It was on the tip of Emberglow’s tongue to ask. But it seemed selfish. “She’ll be safe.”

“I need to be there,” Princess Flurry said. “I need to see it. I haven’t set foot in that palace since…”

“I still think this is silly. Theater,” Terminus said. Heartwing looked at him but remained silent.

“I think in a moment like this,” Flurry whispered. “A little bit of theater is appropriate.”

Heartwing nodded, even as Terminus frowned.

“We’ll take precautions. But our ponies need this,” Heartwing said.

It had the sound of a discussion that had already been settled long before Emberglow got here. She looked between Terminus and Heartwing.

“At least you’ll still be here,” Terminus muttered, and Heartwing rolled his eyes. “His prosthesis won’t be ready until tomorrow.”

“You’ll all be fine here without me?” Emberglow asked, and Terminus nodded reluctantly.

“I’ll keep him safe.”

* * * * *

It was only a half hour later that Emberglow and Bubblegum, with spears drawn, surrounded by twenty odd imperial soldiers in armor, proceeded to the castle. Emberglow flew above the Princess, her spear drawn, shield spells in place, as Flurry trotted up the broken streets towards the complex that loomed up ahead.

Emberglow had expected some sign of continued fighting from up ahead. Bursts of magic, or perhaps gunfire. But there was nothing. There were still lights in the palace, but not as many as Emberglow would have thought. She was sure nopony was sleeping there now, at least.

Even though there were no signs of battle up ahead, there were some in the streets. The snow drifting down gently from up above them floated down into hoofprints and wagon tracks that served as evidence of the passage of the army in front of them.

The closer they got to the gate, the more evidence of combat appeared. Black, charred craters from spells or weapons fire marred the graying, ancient stone. Wounded soldiers rested behind jagged walls, waiting to be taken back to the hospital.

And every so often there was a limp form underneath a pale tarp, collecting snow. Flurry made a point of stopping briefly at each of these. She didn’t say anything, merely paused. Her guard detachment waited while she lowered her head for a few seconds, then they continued.

Each step, or in Emberglow’s case, each flap of her wings, made the walls of the castle grow ever larger in their view. Emberglow couldn’t help but remember her last time here. How she’d felt. What she’d thought. She’d seen hubris in the ancient buildings of the unicorns.

Now she only saw sadness. What could this city have been, if it had never fallen? What could it be again someday, if the ponies here were free?

Just like the last time, Emberglow tried to imagine what life had been like here, a thousand years ago. It wasn’t just the shell of a city she saw now. Perhaps Canterlot had been something more like Angel’s Rest.

The walls up ahead were not like she remembered, either. Before, they had been clean, imposing. Invincible. Now, as Emberglow stared at the walls, they didn’t seem imposing at all. She saw their many cracks, plastered over by masonry. She saw scorch-marks from unicorn magic fire.

“It’s like the ruins are fighting back,” she whispered out loud. Bubblegum looked up at her, and Emberglow shook her head. “Sorry, I’m being silly.”

“No you’re not,” Bubblegum said. “I always thought the palace seemed out of place here. Like, why’d they never really try to clean up the city? It’s wasted space.”

“They knew they were infidels on holy ground,” Flurry whispered. “They knew they profaned this place. They knew well enough to not push their presence. They knew their shame.”

You were one of those infidels. You carry that guilt.

“I was one of them,” Emberglow said out loud. Her words felt right. Giving voice to her guilt. So she could fly past it. “I carried that shame.”

“Not any longer, Emberglow,” the princess whispered back. “Fly proud. You have righted an ancient wrong. We all have, this day.”

The huge gates that once protected the entrance to Canterlot Palace were gone. On the right side, bits of charred wood hung from the hinges. On the left, Emberglow could see the other half of the door, fallen inward, the huge metal hinges bent and twisted. Inside the grounds there were ponies milling about.

The war of worry, doubt, and terror within Emberglow’s breast suddenly blazed into an inferno. She had a duty, but she wanted to fly through that broken, yawning gate and search every single face for her unicorn love. Even from this distance, in the pre-dawn dark, with the smoke from the battle still lingering in the air and the flurries of snow from up above, she strained to see.

But she had a duty.

Emberglow somehow held herself back from flying up ahead, breaking formation so she could see if Rarity was safe.

“Princess Flurry!”

It was Lofty’s voice. The procession paused.

“The palace courtyard is secured, and ready for you, highness.”

He was standing with a cadre of other Discordant guarding the yawning gates.

“Thank you, Sir Lofty. My great-granddaughter?”

“My fiancée is perfectly safe, helping to arrange another field hospital inside the walls. We can begin moving our supply train and our wounded to within the facility in an hour, highness.”

“Thank you, Sir Lofty,” the princess inclined her head, before looking up at her two Knight bodyguards. “Shall we?”

“Guard, forward,” Bubblegum ordered, and once again the procession moved forward.

As she slipped under the huge archway, Emberglow was sure she would feel something. Something momentous, perhaps. Significant. But it was just another wing-beat. She looked away from the gates and into the courtyard, shrouded in darkness.

But it wasn’t, really. Emberglow couldn’t make out the details, but to her eyes, the courtyard was all light. Rarity was standing there, safe, healthy, and unharmed except for a line of blood across the shoulder of her armor. She stood proud and tall, her horn glowing with magic in the very center of the enemy’s power. She stood with fierce, blazing eyes, and Emberglow could see only her.

Emberglow’s entire world stood in that courtyard, and if her heart could sing it would.

Next to Rarity stood next to an unarmed elderly stallion wearing purple robes, his own head held high and his eyes proud. They were both surrounded by Rarity’s unicorns, several of them battered and wounded but standing just as tall.

Flurry Heart and her soldiers approached.

“Princess Flurry Heart!” Rarity called out, her voice enhanced and booming over the courtyard. “On behalf of the Crystal Empire, and Your Highness, I have accepted the surrender of Old Canterlot from Headmaster Ink Writ, of the Knights Mystic, on the condition that his Knights and students remain unharmed. Princess? The castle is yours.”

And then, as if rehearsed, the unicorns of Rarity’s squad bowed low to the princess.

“Marchioness Rarity, I accept. Thank you.”

The princess turned her gaze to the overcast skies and smirked. “You timed it just like this on purpose, didn’t you?”

Rarity gave a low bow, her grin just like a cat in cream. “I have no idea what you mean, darling.”

Princess Flurry laughed. “As you say.” Her horn blazed to life, and her own voice thundered through the plaza. “Citizens of the Empire. Citizens of the Diarchy. Today was a dark day. But it was also the first day. For thousands of years, Princess Celestia raised the sun from these very grounds. For too short of a time, Princess Twilight did the same.”

Emberglow saw tears leaking from the Princess’ eyes, and the regal voice hitched with emotion.

“Today we forge a new link in a chain that never should have been broken.”

An inferno of golden light flowed from her horn, and the tip of the sun peaked her crown over the horizon to the east.

PreviousChapters Next