• Published 19th May 2020
  • 10,409 Views, 1,831 Comments

Rekindled Embers - applezombi



Hundreds of years after the death of Twilight Sparkle, a brutal theocracy rules over ponies with an iron hoof. A young pegasus mare slowly learns the truth about her world, and the lies her faith is built on.

  • ...
46
 1,831
 10,409

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 53

Chapter 53

Excerpt from a magical journal, with entries written by Sir Terminus Flash of the Knights Discordant and Colibri, of Angel’s Rest

Butterfly, I’m scared.

I spent the first night in the Crystal Empire’s dungeon. I was actually surprised at how different it was from my expectation. There are no bars, no cold floor, no torture chambers or shock treatments. The cell is secured not by bars, but by a pane of enchanted glass, complete with holes for air and sound to pass.

Heartwing is well-fed, his bedding is comfortable and he has access to a desk and writing materials if he wants to write letters. He’s… comfortable.

It’s unconventional, but the guards have set up a bed and a desk for me, as well. There’s not really a guest room in the dungeons, but I refuse to leave his side.

He’s so resigned to his fate. It’s infuriating. I’m half-convinced that if I leave him alone he’ll do something else stupid.

The guards treat me just fine. And they don’t abuse Heartwing. But there’s a look in their eyes, a contempt. As if he’s lower than dirt. When the Crystal princess, Flurry Heart, listed his crimes, I was sure that if she wanted to, she could blast him away on the spot. I was barely managing to remain standing as I demanded to stay close to him.

I’m scared, because I think I saw Heartwing’s doom in her eyes. The way the Crystal Empire’s citizens talk about her, I’d expect her to shit rainbows and walk on water. But there’s hate in her, too. And I can’t say it’s entirely unearned.

The responsible part of me wonders what this means for the world if she decides to lock him up. Or worse. The petty part of me doesn’t care in the slightest. The world can burn, as long as he’s safe.

Oh Saints, how can I live with myself when I think things like that?




TERMIE STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP ABOUT STUPID STUFF

You know everypony thinks dark things every once and a while. You know that. You know how often I thought about taking the Coward’s Gate, back at the camp?

Every day. Every. Bucking. Day. Good thing I had a Terminus around to keep me from doing something terrible. Now I have a whole support circle.

I know you’ll be Heartwing’s support circle. Don’t let that cute face and strong exterior fool you; he needs your help as much as he always has. Now more than ever!

In Angel’s Rest news, Mom and Dad weren’t nearly as mad as I thought they’d be that I delayed the wedding. They weren’t mad at all; they understood completely.

I can’t say much more, because Cobalt’s keeping a tight lid on info, but we’re marching soon. Wish me luck.

Love,

Colibri

Crystal Empire, 1113 AF

Rarity woke with an upset stomach and a groggy haze enveloping her thoughts. Certainly the suite that dear Flurry Heart had provided her with was gorgeous, and comfortable as she could have hoped for. But fabulous though the suite was, the walls weren’t quite thick enough to stop the sounds each time Emberglow’s screams startled her awake. Every time she went next door to check, a sweating, exhausted looking Emberglow was there, often still catching her breath from a sudden awakening.

The nightmares were back. Rarity thought it might have something to do with the Diarchy ambassador, whom Emberglow absolutely did not wish to speak about. She hoped that Topaz was helping, but wished she could do something herself. There was a part of her, slowly becoming more and more insistent, that made her want to offer to guard the poor mare through the night herself. Would it be so bad to be cuddled up, warm against the cool chill of the northern air, her hooves wrapped around…

Rarity snapped her eyes open before her fantasy became too heated. She could see sunlight out the window of her bedroom, glinting off the crystalline roofs of the Empire. The suite’s giant bathtub called to her, but she was determined to check on Emberglow first.

Rarity slipped through her own sitting room, past the desk with a sewing machine that the palace servants had been kind enough to set up for her. She quietly moved next door, easing the door open to peek carefully inside.

Emberglow wasn’t in her bed, she was curled up on the sitting room love seat, with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. There was a book open on the floor; fallen from limp hooves. Rarity could guess what happened; the poor dear had been too afraid to fall asleep, so she’d read until she passed out. Rarity clicked her tongue and was about to step into the room, when she had a sudden flash of inspiration.

She lit her horn, casting one of the new spells she’d learned in her studies. A wave of magic flowed over her like a warm puff of air, and the sounds of the castle around her faded. Her own hoofsteps made no sounds as she crept in. Now she wouldn’t wake the poor mare, assuming she had found a measure of peace in sleep.

First she closed the book, taking a moment to glance at its title. The Secrets of Her Love, by Compelling Quill. Rarity recognized the novel; Quill was a prolific romance writer from her time. She wrote purely pulp romance, usually lesbians. Rarity was just a little shocked; the author’s works weren’t too risqué, but certainly a bit more… heated than she expected Emberglow to be reading.

She set the book on the table and leaned over. Emberglow’s face was peaceful in sleep; there was no sign of the troubled night she’d had. Rarity carefully rearranged the blanket using her magic. It was still early; let the darling sleep in as long as possible.

With that, she snuck out of the room, closing the door behind her. Rarity’s spell muffled even the click of the latch.

Rarity was going to head back to her own room, now free to take advantage of the absolutely magnificent bath tub, before she noticed a liveried servant standing in the hallway.

“Good morning, ma’am,” they said. “Would you like anything for breakfast?”

“Something energizing, I should think. Some tea for me, and I believe my friend will be needing some coffee. Perhaps fresh fruit, and a light pastry or two? Have it brought to my room, and let Miss Emberglow know she’s invited to breakfast with me when she wakes up.”

“Of course. I’ll have it brought to your room in, say, thirty minutes?”

“That would be wonderful, darling.” Rarity beamed at the servant, who nodded and walked off down the hallway. She stepped back into her room.

For a moment, she eyed the tiny Twilight construct. She’d taken it out of her bags last night, but the presence of the sewing machine, and a fresh stack of sketchbooks courtesy of Princess Flurry Heart, had called louder.

“Hmm, duty or pleasure?” Rarity mused. In the end, pleasure won out. Most of her day would be spent on duty, she was sure. There was a coming meeting with the royal twins of the Changeling Hive, in just an hour and a half, if she remembered correctly. And who knew what the rest of it would hold? More preparation for Heartwing’s trial, she was sure.

The thought sent an unpleasant buzz roiling in her stomach, but Rarity shook it off and seized one of the notebooks in her magic. It was time to create, not worry about what might be coming.

Only, when she placed a quill to the blank paper, nothing would come. Two faces swam in her mind: Twilight Sparkle, her eyes kind and wise, and Heartwing, with his characteristically puckish smirk. She even tried sketching a basic pony form; the beginnings of any of her fashion drawings, but it seemed to stare back at her, blank, formless, and useless. So she tore the page away and tossed it aside, and began sketching something else.

Rarity decided for a bust, starting with the shape of the head, the feminine jaw, lips set in a cheerful, open smile. She then moved on to the horn, followed by her eyes, always open and bright and curious. Her ears came next, then the mane, still the same after years spent in company. She’d never really changed it, even after ascending. It suited her, even though Rarity had occasionally teased her about mixing things up every once in a while.

After a few minutes, a sketch of Princess Twilight Sparkle stared back at her, cheerful, friendly, open. Rarity’s eyes stung for a moment.

“I miss you, darling. The world does. It was cruel of fate that you were taken from us too soon.”

She touched the page with her hoof. The smooth paper was featureless and flat. Empty. With a sigh, Rarity flipped the paper over, pencil posed for another sketch. Perhaps something else would inspire her this morning.

There was a knock on the door. “Come in!” Rarity sang out, and the door opened. Emberglow poked her head in, her mane unbound and mussed. “Oh, good morning, darling. Come in, I’ve ordered breakfast for the both of us. I hope you don’t mind.”

“No, of course not,” Emberglow said softly, stepping tentatively into the room. She glanced around at the stack of crates and the sewing machine. “Wow. You’re really making yourself at home, here.”

“Of course, darling. I insist on making the best of wherever I roam. But come in and have a seat. I’m sure you had a difficult night.”

“Not too bad,” Emberglow said, and Rarity pursed her lips, saying nothing. It seemed that Emberglow had taken after her Element’s predecessor when it came to prevarication. “A few bad dreams.”

“I see.” Rarity hoped her disapproving eyebrows appropriately conveyed her concern. Emberglow sat down on one of the chairs across from the table and shot the Twilight statue on the table an annoyed look. Rarity wasn’t sure she was supposed to have seen that; Emberglow never really spoke about why exactly she was so jealous of Twilight, sometimes. “Did Topaz help you with them?”

“She did, at the end,” Emberglow said. “Thanks for coming to check on me, though.”

“It was no problem, darling,” Rarity said. For a moment, she considered her thoughts from earlier. Would it be so bad to invite her to share a bed? Even if it was nothing more than that? At least Emberglow would have that much comfort. But something held her back.

A second knock on the door heralded the arrival of breakfast, brought on a rolling cart attended by the same servant and complete with two steaming mugs. As the scent of coffee flowed into the room, Emberglow stared at the cart with obvious thirst in her eyes, enough that Rarity had to stifle a little giggle.

The rest of the tray held a large bowl of berries and a stack of thin crepes, as well as a little bowl of whipped cream and a pair of empty plates. The servant gracefully picked up the tray, setting it on the table next to the construct. Rarity quickly moved Twilight out of the way, and, after a moment of consideration, out of sight entirely. It wouldn’t hurt to make Emberglow just a little more comfortable.

“Your breakfast, ma’ams. You asked for a light pastry of some kind. I do hope crepes fit your requirements.”

“They smell absolutely divine, thank you,” Rarity said, and they smiled before stepping back.

“I will be in the hallway should you require anything else.”

Emberglow murmured her own gratitude, already sipping at her coffee with a rapturous look on her face. This time Rarity didn’t even bother to hold her giggle back, earning an odd look from Emberglow.

As soon as the servant was gone, Rarity picked up one of the empty plates, levitating a crepe with her magic and dishing several of the berries on top, before topping it off with a dash of whipped cream. Emberglow stared at the food for a moment, an odd sort of guilty look flashing over her face. It only lasted a second, but long enough for Rarity to notice.

“Do tell me what’s the matter, darling,” Rarity said softly. She was used to this sort of look from the poor mare. It seemed that everything Emberglow did seemed to come back to the lingering guilt she felt at the oddest of times. Emberglow winced.

“Just… I was wondering what Terminus and Heartwing are having for breakfast, is all.”

Oh. She most certainly did not wish to speak about Heartwing right now. But sometimes a pony had to make sacrifices for a friend. “I’m sure they’re not being treated poorly, darling. Flurry Heart is not a monster.”

“I know.” Emberglow sighed. “It just seems wrong to be indulging, when they might be going without.”

“If it helps, you can always ask,” Rarity said. “We can stop by today and speak with them.”

Emberglow’s good eye met Rarity’s, and Emberglow smiled. “Thanks. I know it’s difficult for you. I’ll probably check on them after our meeting with the changeling leaders, unless they’re also present there.” Finally Emberglow began dishing up her own crepe. “S-so. I saw the sketchbook. Were you designing something?” Her voice was full of hope.

“Not exactly,” Rarity admitted. “I tried, but the inspiration just wasn’t flowing this morning. Here.” She floated the sketchpad over to Emberglow, showing her the image. Belatedly she thought about Emberglow’s jealous reactions to the Twilight statue, and worried she might react similarly to the sketch. But instead, Emberglow’s eyes filled with awe.

“Rarity, you’re an incredible artist, you know?” She reached out and took the sketchpad, staring at the drawing. “It’s Princess Twilight, isn’t it? It’s like… I can feel how much you miss her, by the love you put into the drawing.”

Rarity blinked the sudden tears from her eyes, though she smiled. “Thank you, darling. And yes, I do miss her deeply.”

Emberglow stared at the drawing a few more silent moments, before setting it aside. “It’s beautiful. You have a real gift.”

“Nonsense, darling,” Rarity blushed. “Being able to sketch ponies is just a side skill I had to learn because of my fashion business.”

“No, you pour yourself into everything you do,” Emberglow insisted. “Nothing is a half-measure. You’re passionate. It’s…” Emberglow’s face colored too. “It’s nice to see.”

Rarity was still a little surprised at Emberglow’s reaction. She wondered what the difference was. But Emberglow’s face gave nothing away, so Rarity put it out of her mind.

“I wonder what meeting the changelings is going to be like,” Emberglow said. “Have you heard anything about their leaders? King Pharynx and Queen… Chrysalis, I think?”

Rarity shuddered. “I do need to find out the history behind that one. Why the changelings would choose to name one of their queens after that… creature is beyond me.”

It led to another recounting, which was always comfortable territory for the two of them. Emberglow clearly enjoyed sitting and listening to Rarity tell stories about the past, watching and listening to her with rapt attention. Rarity, for her part, didn’t mind being the center of said attention.

In the end, both of them sighed with disappointment when a knock on their door interrupted story time. The crepes were long gone, as was the morning coffee and tea, but Rarity wished they could just continue, and hide away from the upcoming terrible business.

“Pardon the interruption, ladies,” the palace staff pony began politely. “It is nearly time for your meeting with the King and Queen. You have thirty minutes.”

“I really should get ready,” Emberglow said mournfully.

Rarity stood. “Me as well, darling. It was a lovely time, though.” She paused, considering. “I’d recommend your official robes, but not your armor. You’ll wish to appear serious, but not threatening.”

“Of course. Thank you!”

Thirty minutes was not even barely enough time for a proper bath, but Rarity didn’t regret the long breakfast in the slightest. She had to rush a bit, unable to fully enjoy the wonderful soak and the veritable mountain of spa products under the sink, but in the end she felt clean and fabulous.

For a moment, she considered the au naturale look; several ponies moved about the castle unclad, as they did back during her time. But ultimately she rejected it, selecting a formal looking cream blouse and a dark navy skirt from her luggage. She hoped it was businesslike enough to impress the King and Queen.

A lump of discomfort settled in her throat at the thought. She’d spent so much time avoiding thinking about the upcoming trial, after all. What was her role going to be? What did she even want its outcome to be? She knew she should set aside what Heartwing had done, for the sake of the greater good. But…

But weren’t her feelings valid, too? Didn’t she have a right to miss Twilight? To see justice done for her death? Would Twilight herself have forgiven him?

Suddenly the crepes weren’t settling exactly right in her stomach.

* * * * *

When Rarity emerged from her suite, Emberglow and Lofty were already waiting, both in their robes. Topaz was there as well, wearing a delightful dress consisting of a comfortable but warm-looking blue-dyed wool. Emberglow and Lofty were deep in conversation.

“I didn’t expect things to move this quickly, but it makes sense. The Princess has already arranged for tutors. I spent some time yesterday speaking with them; the curriculum looks like a lot of fun. He’s off learning about the geothermal energy deposits underneath the palace as we speak.”

Oh, he was probably talking about his son. It was certainly kind of the Princess to arrange for True’s education.

“Oh, hey, Rarity.” Topaz waved. “C’mon, I’ll show you to the room. The changeling leaders will be using the Sunrise Hall for the trial, so they’re having us all meet there to talk about things.”

“The Sunrise Hall?”

“Princess Flurry keeps two audience halls available, in case any of the other sworn leaders need to use one. Of course, each has their own center of government; the changelings have a hive carved into the glacier, about three miles to the north. The Yaks, of course, have Yakyakistan much further, and the Diamond Dog warren is underground. But sometimes they visit Princess Flurry, and they need a place to hold court. So we have either the Sunrise Hall or the Midnight Glow Hall. Any guesses who they’re a tribute to?”

It wasn’t long before a half dozen guards arrived to escort them. Only it wasn’t palace guards in their lavender armor; it was changelings, each one with a brightly colored carapace. They wore no armor, but carried long, two-pronged spears.

“Good day, ponies. I am Lieutenant Mandible. I have been tasked by my King and Queen to see to your safety this morning.” His voice had the odd sort of buzz that Rarity remembered from the brief time she’d known Thorax and his other reformed changelings. Before she went to sleep.

The lieutenant guided them through the halls to a large, double-doored room. The doors were wood, with a carved inlay shaped like the sun; a perfect, if giant, representation of Princess Celestia’s cutie mark. Two lavender-armored guards stood at its sides, and they nodded politely to the changeling squad as they approached, pulling the doors open to reveal an audience hall inside. It was smaller than the palace’s throne room, but somehow appeared roomier; the ceiling was glass, and one could look up to see the grey skies above. Light filtered into the room, and the sun warmed Rarity’s fur as it beamed down from the skylight to the white carpeted floor below.

At the head of the room were two thrones, made, from what Rarity could tell, out of some sort of amber colored resin. Sitting there were two changelings. The first, a mare, reminded Rarity very much of Thorax. She was tall and lithe, with bright sky blue and mint green colored segments of her carapace. A majestic rack of horns extended from her forehead, and her pink eyes were bright and cheerful.

To her right was another, just as bright, though much smaller. Something was wrong with the changeling stallion’s hooves; they appeared only partially formed, twisting a little in odd ways. His colors were darker variants of his sister’s, with forest green and deep navy blue segments. His eyes were the exact same shade of pink.

“Greetings, Duchess Topaz Glitter,” the changeling male began. “Greetings, Sir Lofty Tale. Greetings, Lady Emberglow. Greetings, Rarity, hero of Equestria. Be welcome, and be at ease.” He blinked. “Is Sir Terminus Flash not coming?”

“We were informed he was sleeping in the prison, next to his lover,” Lieutenant Mandible said. “I sent two of my guards to escort him here as well. He should be arriving soon.”

“Very well. We should…”

The doors opened again, and Terminus entered. His stress and worry were evident on his face, with sleepless bags under his eyes. He had a smile for them when he entered, though.

“Sorry we’re late,” one of the changelings escorting him said. “We encountered a representative of the Diarchy embassy. One of the soldiers. He had some inquiries regarding your business today, and delayed us.”

“What sort of inquiries?” the King asked. The guard shrugged.

“He was being vague. We informed him that it was, in fact, not his business but yours, Your Majesty.”

“Well done, guard.” He turned his attention back on the ponies. “As I was saying. I am King Pharynx the Third. This is my sister, Queen Chrysalis the Fifth. We have been asked, by our liege lady’s daughter, to provide objective and fair judgment for the sentencing of the criminal Heartwing. As you are all witnesses in the case, we wished to meet and go over the procedure with you all, as many of you are not from our Empire and do not understand our legal code.”

“But first, brother,” Queen Chrysalis’ own light voice hummed. “We should see to the comfort of our guests.”

“Of course,” the King said sheepishly. “Guards, pillows for our guests. And refreshments, if they wish.”

It only took a moment for the guards to return with seating pillows. Rarity and the others arrayed themselves below the thrones on the floor of the audience hall.

“As you know,” King Pharynx began. “The criminal—"

“His name is Heartwing,” Terminus interrupted. He looked apologetic, but his jaw was set as he stared at the king. “I’m sorry for the interruption. But he has a name.”

“Of course. No offense—”

“—was intended,” Queen Chrysalis finished for him. “Heartwing, as he is now called, has pled guilty to his crimes. So what we are holding will not truly be a trial to determine the truth, but rather—”

“—a sentencing.”

“That’s it?” Terminus protested. Rarity could tell he was struggling to keep a lid on his anger. “No inquiry? No investigation to see if he was even responsible for the things he did? Or even knew he was doing them?”

“The facts are not in question,” King Pharynx said. “Heartwing has stipulated to his guilt. But you are correct. What is in question is his…” the king waved a forehoof in the air, as if searching for a word.

“—level of culpability,” Queen Chrysalis continued. King Pharynx nodded, grinning. Rarity stared. Did they always finish each other’s sentences? “That is why you all are here. Habeus?”

Another changeling buzzed through the air, landing next to the King and Queen and giving a low bow. “Greetings. I am Habeus, and my lieges have selected me to represent Heartwing and his interests during this hearing. I will be speaking with him when we’re done, but I needed to be here first. I’m going to be interviewing you all individually, to determine the best way to proceed with Sir Heartwing’s defense.”

“I don’t know how things are done down south,” King Pharynx said kindly, while his sister hissed in disgust. “But here, a prisoner is always entitled to the representation of a trained and competent legal defense. You can be confident that Habeus knows what he’s doing. There will also be a second barrister, arguing for Princess Flurry Heart.”

“Now, the trial will take place here. The proceedings will be open to the public,” Queen Chrysalis explained. “While you are not required to be here if you are not testifying, you are still welcome. However,” she pointed a hoof sternly at them all. “We will accept no interruptions to the hearing. No dramatics, no silliness, and no violence.” She took a deep breath, and was about to continue.

“We have been informed,” King Pharynx said, “that the Diarchy representatives, their ambassador and her diplomatic team, have chosen to attend. They have even asked to testify in the sentencing. By our laws, they are allowed to do so.”

“What could they possibly have to say that’s relevant?” Topaz demanded. The king shook his head and shrugged.

“I have no idea. But we will assess the relevance of their words and decide for ourselves. We will not allow frivolous or time-wasting testimony.”

“That does mean,” Queen Chrysalis continued, “that you all will have to do your part to keep the peace. I expect no aggression from you Knights, do you understand?” Each one of them nodded. “If you are attacked, I expect you to defend yourselves with restraint.”

From there, it was just a discussion of the trial schedule. Habeus told them he would be calling each one of them as witnesses, though he didn’t know how long they would be needed to speak, or how long the prosecution would take. Each day of trial would take place in the afternoon, just after lunch, and last until before dinnertime, with the morning set aside for each barrister to prepare their arguments for the day. He then began taking each pony aside to speak with them privately, leaving the others to continue a more casual conversation with the changeling monarchs.

“I’m sorry if this question seems impertinent,” Rarity began, after Habeus had led Lofty away into a small conference room off from the audience chamber for the first of the private conversations. “But you do seem to know a little of my history. I couldn’t help but wonder about your name, Queen Chrysalis.”

The queen grinned with amusement. “That is a bit of a story. In exchange, I should very much like to hear tales of Good Queen Ocellus the First. I have heard you were a teacher of hers?”

“Oh, indeed!” Rarity smiled. “Ocellus was such a delightful student. So full of energy, so eager to learn! I would be delighted to exchange tales!”

“Our ancestor, Ocellus’ grandson Clypeus, did not get along with the Princess. They argued about everything. Like oil and water, according to what Princess Flurry has told us. I’m told he even regularly insulted the Empress, though he never felt the need to break our allegiance to her or the Empire.

“By then, we had already begun to adopt a pattern of naming our leaders after great changelings of the past. Clypeus’ father was Thorax the Second, after all. So Clypeus, in an effort to tweak Princess Flurry’s and the Empress’ noses, named his daughter and heir after the Empress’ greatest nemesis, Queen Chrysalis the First.”

“The joke was on him, though,” King Pharynx continued. “Chrysalis the Second turned out to be dear, close friends with Princess Flurry. She commissioned a statue, even. It’s in the Imperial Museum of Art.”

“So I am named for Chrysalis the Second.” Queen Chrysalis said with a smile. “Not the tyrant you were familiar with in your time.”

“Oh, lovely,” Rarity said. “I must admit I was a little concerned.” She made good on her own promise, sharing several amusing stories about her brief time with Ocellus at the School of Friendship. The others listened with interest while one after another, Habeus called each of them aside for a private interview.

Finally it was Rarity’s turn. “This way, please.” The changeling barrister guided her to the conference room.

Inside was a long table covered with documents. Several padded chairs encircled the table. Habeus politely pulled a chair out for Rarity, before taking a seat across from her. He pulled out a blank sheet of paper, and his jagged horn ignited to summon a pencil as he scrawled out some quick notes.

“Thank you for meeting with me, Rarity,” Habeus said, looking up from his paper. “Do you mind if I take notes?”

“I don’t see why I should,” Rarity said. He nodded and scribbled something down. Rarity resisted the urge to lean over the table to read over his shoulder.

“Very well. Now. Though I have been employed by my King and Queen, you should be aware that it is my ethical duty to represent Heartwing’s best interests in all of this. I wish I could have been there in the beginning, to prevent his unfortunate concession of guilt, but it’s spilled milk at this point.” Habeus sighed. “You should also know that anything said here is confidential. I will take notes, but they will be only for my own personal memory aid, and will not be revealed to anypony else.”

“I see,” Rarity was a little confused. “I don’t have anything to hide, though.”

“Of course. So let us begin. During the trial, my strategy will be to show that the pony Heartwing is very much a different entity than the draconequus Discord, and therefore should not be held responsible for any acts he committed in a previous life.”

“‘Not be held responsible?’” she echoed. Rarity felt a blaze of anger in her chest, and she gripped the side of the conference table with her hooves. “I’m not sure that’s justice, is it?”

“What do you mean?” Habeus leaned forward, gazing at her intensely. “Do you believe Heartwing should be jailed for what he did? Or perhaps turned back to stone? Petrification has not been used as a punishment in centuries, but it is still on the books.”

“I… I don’t know,” Rarity stammered. In her mind was an image of Twilight Sparkle, haggard, harried, exhausted, surrounded by all six floating Elements of Harmony. Beneath her was a screaming, cackling mad thing. She knew she was being irrational, letting her imagination get the better of her. She had no idea what it had looked like when Twilight had been forced to give her own life to stop Discord. But the image was tenacious; it stuck in her head, replaying over and over.

“I’m sorry. I had assumed that all of you wanted your friend to be free. I take it that your feelings are a little more complicated?” Habeus scribbled several more notes. “So, there is a chance that the prosecuting barrister will call on you to testify for Princess Flurry, in favor of some sort of punishment for Heartwing.”

They hadn’t talked about it while they’d been together, but Rarity thought that Princess Flurry, at least, believed Rarity was on her side in this. They had spent plenty of time reminiscing about Twilight and the others, after all. “It’s possible, I guess.”

Habeus sighed, raising a hoof to massage his temple. “Very well. Now, Miss Rarity, I am not a therapist. It’s outside of my professional training to offer to help you sort out your feelings on this subject. And I have a bias, as well. I’m acting in the interest of Heartwing, after all, so I would advocate for you to forgive him and aid in his defense.”

“I can’t!” Rarity gasped. “How could I possibly betray my friend like that?”

“So you believe he should be punished?”

“No!” Rarity shot back. “I mean, I don’t know?”

“Do you believe Heartwing to be the same creature as Discord?”

“No,” Rarity said. That was for certain.

“How different are they?”

That was a question she could answer. “Heartwing is more serious. More introspective. He has less power, so he doesn’t engage in foalish visual pranks as often. He still has a puckish streak, and can rather grate on anypony’s nerves after only a few minutes in his presence.

“There’s a kindness in him that wasn’t really there before. But at the same time, every so often I see a faraway look in his eyes. A heavy look, like he’s weighed down and tired.” Now she was sure she was just letting her thoughts run away with her. Habeus was hurriedly scribbling down notes.

“Thank you, Rarity. Now, let’s talk about his actions as you have observed them, since you were awakened. Has he behaved with cruelty? Committed unnecessary violence?”

“No. And no,” Rarity shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Shame and resentment wrestled like two worms in her gut. She felt nauseous.

“In your opinion, has he been showing any signs of lusting after power? Any personal ambitions?”

“Not at all.” Rarity’s heart sank further.

“I see.” Habeus scribbled a few more notes. “I’m sorry I’m being so harsh, Rarity. But I believe Princess Flurry is going to unfairly paint Heartwing as some sort of megalomaniacal monster. And I just don’t believe that this is the case.”

“I…” Rarity’s mind swam. She wanted to crawl under the table and not think about Heartwing.

Discord killed Twilight.

Heartwing saved her from the cave.

Discord went mad.

Heartwing brought her Emberglow.

Discord helped destroy the world.

Heartwing was trying to save it.

“If it’s all the same to you, Habeus, I’d rather not be called as a witness. I don’t know if I’ll be of much help to your case.”

“But will you come if Princess Flurry’s barrister calls you up?” Habeus asked. Rarity shook her head. She didn’t know.

There was a knock, and the conference room door tilted open a crack. A gold-armored yak poked her head in.

“Guard Yolene is here with a message for Miss Rarity,” the yak said formally, though there was a hint of awe in her voice. “Guard Yolene was asked by th-the E-e-empress herself to come invite Miss Rarity to speak with her. If you’re not busy, Miss Rarity.”

Rarity glanced at Habeus, who sighed. “An audience with the Empress is rare. You and I might continue this conversation later. Or perhaps, like you say, you will not be much help to my case. I ask you to consider what you truly want, however. It may be that Heartwing’s fate rests on your own choice. And if so, could you really live with yourself if your friend, even one you’ve had a falling out with, was punished unfairly because of your actions?”

“This was no mere falling out,” Rarity said coldly, and stood from her seat. “Lead the way, Yolene.”

The yak guard held the door open for Rarity, then guided her out of the Sunrise Hall. Rarity’s other friends were shooting curious looks her way. “Everything is fine, darlings. I’ve just been asked to speak with Empress Cadance.”

“Have fun!” Topaz waved, beaming. For some reason, Emberglow looked rather nervous, but Rarity didn’t want to make Cadance wait, so she refrained from asking. Instead, she followed the guard out of the hall.

“This is the first time the Empress has ever spoken to Guard Yolene,” Yolene admitted as soon as they were outside the hall. “It used to be that she never spoke to anypony. Now, it happens more and more. Yolene heard that you were friends with the Empress, and you spoke with her plenty.”

Spoke with her? Darling, I literally designed her wedding dress. I was one of her bridesmaids.” Perhaps it was a little boastful to name-drop in this fashion, but the look of wonder on Yolene’s face made it worthwhile. She was practically prancing along with excitement, her heavy hooves sending echoing clacks down the hallway as they impacted against the crystalline floors.

“Truly? C-can you tell Guard Yolene what she was like back then?”

Rarity had to grin at her foal-like eagerness. “Princess Cadance, as she was known at the time, was one of the kindest, most beautiful, and elegant ponies I’d ever met. She was always quite patient and gracious. It was actually how my friend Twilight Sparkle realized she’d been replaced by an imposter at her own wedding.”

Retelling stories of her old life was beginning to happen more and more often. Rarity found herself relishing the role of the storyteller, even in tales where she didn’t feature as the star. She told Yolene of the days before the wedding, of Twilight’s odd, increasingly paranoid behavior, and her own cruel dismissal of her friend’s concerns. And then the attack came.

“You must understand, changelings in those days were nothing like the wonderful creatures you live alongside now. They were fully under the sway of that wretched Queen. As soon as they had the opportunity to break free, they did so.”

She told the rest of the story, and was gratified when the guard clapped her hooves with glee at the magical love explosion that expelled the evil queen from the city. Rarity thought it might be stretching professional guard behavior just a little, but she couldn’t find it in herself to judge too harshly.

“Thank you for telling Guard Yolene. Guard Yolene has always been proud to be one of the Empress’ guards, but Guard Yolene has never before been addressed by the Empress. Even before, as a young yak, she never spoke when the school children visited her. She only smiled at us, without even opening her eyes. Things are changing, and Guard Yolene thinks it’s wonderful that the Empress is interacting with the world again.”

“I’m excited to see her again, after all this time.” In truth, Rarity felt another spike of guilt. She should have gone to see Cadance first thing when she’d arrived; but there had been catching up with Princess Flurry, and dinner, and then there’d been the gifts of fashion in her room and the morning meeting. Things were moving so quickly that she was letting her social graces slide. She resolved to apologize to Cadance as soon as she saw her.

Guard Yolene led her to a solid door, guarded by two gold-armored ponies. They nodded as Yolene saluted.

“Guard Yolene has brought the Empress’ guest as requested, Captain.”

“She’s waiting inside,” the captain said, and the two guards pushed the door open. “Just go to the end of the hall, it opens into the Empress’ dais.”

Within, Rarity saw a hallway that widened into a larger room. Slowly she stepped inside, her hooves making no sound on the plush carpet. She spied the dais, where Cadance sat, attached by metal bracers to a strange contraption. Her eyes were closed, and she appeared to be sleeping.

“C-cadance?” Rarity whispered, almost too afraid to speak. What if she was sleeping? Surely she needed her rest; Rarity had heard that powering the vast shield that kept the Empire safe was an exhausting task.

But then Cadance’s lips twisted up in a smile, and she spoke, her voice raspy. “Sunshine, sunshine,” she breathed. “Ladybugs awake.”

“Clap your hooves and do a little shake,” Rarity called back, her own smile growing as she wiggled her rump just a little to finish the rhyme. “Really, Princess Cadance? After all these years, you can’t let go of that silly little rhyme?”

“Never, Rarity.” The empress finally opened her eyes, glancing at the bust of Twilight Sparkle which Rarity hadn’t noticed on the side of the room. “Come give me a hug. It’s been a bit too long.”

Rarity closed the distance, stepping up onto the raised dais and very carefully encircling the frail-looking alicorn in her hooves. Cadance hugged her back, and Rarity felt the wetness of unshed tears in her eyes.

“Sorry I didn’t come right away when I got here. Things have been a little… chaotic.”

“I understand that,” Cadance said. “I’m a little isolated here. Though not completely.” She pulled back from the hug, offering Rarity a slight smile. This close, Rarity could see the bags under Cadance’s eyes. And her once luxurious mane, now tangled and thin.

“Cadance, darling. How long as it been since you treated yourself to a trip to the spa?”

Cadance snorted with amusement, which became a full belly laugh. “D-did you know,” she said, catching her breath. “Did you know I made a bet with myself? That this would be the first real question you asked me? Never change, Rarity.”

“I don’t know if I can do that,” Rarity admitted darkly. She thought of all the change that had already come. Of Twilight’s spell, of the construct. She thought of the world itself. “I feel like this new world is changing me, whether I like it or not.”

“I see,” Cadance said. “Well, have a seat next to me. Let’s talk about it.”

“That can’t be why you had me summoned, Princ… I mean, Empress.”

“Rarity, everypony else calls me Empress. So help me if you can’t call me by my name, I’ll have you arrested for something and sentenced to shovel snow in front of the palace.”

“As you command, Cadance.” Rarity smirked. She sat next to the withered monarch. “If I’d known you were in this state, I would have brought the spa to you. What have you been doing to yourself? How have you been eating?”

“Would you believe I haven’t eaten a bite in centuries?” Cadance said. Rarity eyed her skeptically. “It’s true.” She jangled the bracers at her forehooves. “The Apparatus of Ocellus, they call it. It’s connected to the Crystal Heart. It allows my subjects to sustain me with the power of their love, much like changelings. In return, I am able to power the shield. The Apparatus keeps the shield going, even when I sleep.”

“I heard something about foals and other children coming to visit you,” Rarity said. “You take love from them?”

“Not take,” Cadance said gently. “It is offered.” She pointed with her hoof at the array of crayon drawings taped to the walls around her. “It’s often a real occasion for the young creatures, to come visit me. I love to see them, even if in the past I’ve been too tired to do much of anything else.”

“I see.” Some part of her twisted with horror. This was wrong. “So you’re a prisoner.”

“By my own choice, yes,” Cadance agreed. Rarity looked at her in shock. She hadn’t expected the other pony to agree. “And it can’t last forever. Especially not with you and your friends here.”

“What do you mean?”

“The Elements of Harmony are gathering. A change is coming. The Diarchy itself is in turmoil, and soon your friends will be called upon to save all ponies from a fate even worse than their autocratic rule. You will play a role in this, as well.”

“How do you know?”

Cadance’s smile was cryptic. “When you and your friends from Ponyville were chosen as the Elements of Harmony, did you know that Celestia actually had a say in what kind of pony got chosen?”

Rarity shook her head, her eyes wide. Cadance’s horn lit up, crafting an illusion spell. The image of a tree, the Tree of Harmony, filled the room, complete with the cutie marks of Celestia and Luna on the trunk.

“She knew the time of Nightmare Moon’s return was coming.” A small, illusory Celestia approached the tree, falling to her knees in supplication. “She went to beg the Tree for her help. She wanted her sister back, after all those years, and she was willing to do anything.” The tree shook, flashing with magical light and a second Celestia appeared near the first. This Celestia, though, was even more ghostly; it was the Tree herself, Rarity realized. The Tree of Harmony reached down with a hoof, raising Celestia up until they were standing side by side.

“The Tree told Celestia that she would be unable to use the Elements by herself again; that doing so would most likely kill her.”

“As it did Twilight,” Rarity muttered.

“Yes,” Cadance said sadly. “So Celestia begged the Tree to allow her to do it anyways. Anything would be worth returning her sister, even her own life. The tree, however, offered an alternative.”

Suddenly the illusion spoke, the mouth of the Tree of Harmony illusion moving in time with the voice. “Allow others to bear this burden, and this joy, Celestia. Do not take it all upon your own shoulders. Trust and believe.”

Cadance spoke again. “Celestia was loath to thrust others in the battle between herself and Nightmare Moon, but the Tree insisted that it was the only way Luna could truly return. She even offered to let Celestia pick the kind of ponies that would bear the Elements.”

“Celestia chose us?” Rarity said, wonderingly.

“Not specifically. She told the Tree to look for normal, average, everyday ponies. Not accomplished heroes, but real ponies. The kind that could lift the whole nation of Equestria up with them, instead of, like Celestia, being so high above them as to be inaccessible. So, the Tree chose Twilight Sparkle, and your friends.

“Now. Move forward a millennia.” The scene swirled, and became a smaller version of the very room they were in. A tiny, translucent Cadance rested on a miniature dais. She appeared to be sleeping, just as she had when Rarity had first entered her chamber.

A cracking sound came from the illusion, the crystal floor split, and something wormed through the jagged opening. Illusion Cadance sat up with alarm, rearing back from the split. But what squeezed through was a small root; Rarity recognized it as a root of the Tree of Harmony. She glanced down at the floor, where the crack should have been. It was hidden by the carpet.

At the tip of the root, a beautiful, five-blossomed flower bloomed, opening up to reveal a rainbow of color splashed over the petals. They shined with white light, and the image of Twilight Sparkle appeared.

“Empress Cadance,” the Tree intoned.

“Hello, Harmony,” Illusion Cadance said, after a few seconds to recover herself.

The image smiled but shook her head. “No… time. You need to choose.”

“Choose?”

“Like Celestia before you. Choose what kind of ponies will be the new Elements.”

The image in the illusion barely hesitated for a second. “Love,” Cadance whispered. “Ponies defined by love. This world needs more love, to fight back the hate.”

“The love of a father for a son. The love of a sister for the brother she lost. The love of a granddaughter for her grandmothers. The love of lovers, present and future. The love of all. It will be done, Cadance. Thank you.”

The illusion faded, and Rarity looked to the real Cadance. “Of course that is what you would prioritize,” she said, and Cadance gave a little teasing half-bow. “But what does this have to do with me? The last I checked, I’m not an Element bearer any longer. Perhaps you should find a way to wake the new princess, and share this with her.”

“You believe Sunset Shimmer is the sixth Element bearer?” Cadance said.

“Who else could it possibly be? She’s a student of both Celestia and Twilight Sparkle.”

“I see.” Cadance tapped her chin thoughtfully with one hoof. “It could be. I don’t know. But I called you here because, in my perhaps rusty and infrequently used role of Princess of Love, which I never abdicated even when I locked myself away as a permanent battery, I have been called upon to help… smooth out the love life of one of the new Elements.”

“Who?” Rarity asked.

“Emberglow,” Cadance replied flatly, and Rarity suddenly felt the blazing intensity of Cadance’s gaze. She felt like so much raw produce, being weighed and measured before the Princess. “I have some worries about her own love life.”

“I-I see,” Rarity stammered.

“Oh, don’t be so dramatic.” Cadance tittered. “Wait, what am I saying? It’s like I forgot who I was speaking to. But do relax, Rarity.” Cadance sighed with pleasure. “I’m not here to make you uncomfortable. But I would like to ask some questions. You are aware that Emberglow is crazy about you, right?”

“I’m aware, yes,” Rarity said. Her mind drifted back, even to their first moments in the cave, with Emberglow’s eyes darting about, her face red, not knowing where to look to be polite. A warm smile spread over her face before she realized it.

“I’m going to guess, given how you’re smiling, that you feel similarly?”

Rarity didn’t trust her voice, so she nodded.

“I would like you to put it into words, Rarity. How do you feel about Emberglow?” Cadance’s eyes sparkled with glee. “And feel free to be as poetic with your language as you like.”

Rarity laughed at that. “Emberglow was one of the first things I saw when I woke up. She was so confused and scared, but she made it a point to try to defend me from a perceived threat anyways.” She remembered sourly that said threat was Heartwing. “She was hurt and terrified and so dirty, but she shone that day. And when she learned the truth, the way she wept…” Rarity shuddered. “I barely knew her, and I wanted to hold her and make it alright.”

“So within minutes of meeting her, she showed you both her heroic side and her vulnerability?” Cadance mused. “No wonder you fell for her.”

Rarity opened her mouth to respond, then paused. “What do you mean, darling?”

“Well, what sorts of books were you always reading?” Cadance’s grin was eager. “A dashing hero, sweeping an elegant heroine off her hooves with his acts of derring-do. And later, she finds some flaw in him, some weakness, that only makes him more vulnerable and thus appealing to her?”

Rarity pursed her lips, trying not to be annoyed. That did, unfortunately, describe her reading habits far too accurately. Had she fallen into a rut?

“All I’m saying is, she pushes all of your buttons.”

“She is a few inches taller than me,” Rarity said with a little giggle. “But it’s more than that. She’s sweet and pure, too. On one leg of our journey, she asked me to teach her how to flirt.” Rarity’s grin was threatening to become permanent, and she resisted the Fluttershy-like urge to hide her glowing cheeks behind the curl of her mane. “It was so adorably innocent! I must confess I took advantage of the situation to tease the poor mare mercilessly, but I daresay she enjoyed every second of it. I know I did.”

“So what went wrong?”

“Wrong?” Rarity cocked her head to one side, confused. “I don’t think anything went wrong, per se, but…”

“But your relationship has reached a bit of a plateau, hasn’t it? It’s not progressing. And that’s what I sense when I talk to both of you.”

“It’s Heartwing’s fault,” Rarity said, and even as the words left her lips she hated herself a little for saying them. “I-I mean, it’s…” She trailed off. “Everything changed after we met Spike. Now Mlinzi. Heartwing’s… actions are a big part of that.” Saying it out loud made her feel guilty. Tainted, somehow, as if she were admitting to some sort of crime. “That’s when I found Twilight, and had this spell cast on me.”

“You found Twilight?” Something in Cadance’s tone told Rarity she knew more than she was letting on, but she explained anyways.

“Well, a construct, that Twilight made. It’s like she’s really here, sometimes. I’ve been learning all sorts of things about my newfound power from her. And Twilight’s so easy to learn from, too. I may have teased Twilight in the past for her pedagogy, but she’s helped me understand everything from how to exercise my stronger telekinesis to the beginnings of teleportation theory.”

“You keep referring to the construct as if it is really her, and not just a tool Twilight made.”

“Well, you should see it, darling! When Twilight speaks, it's as if she’s really there in the room with me!” Rarity was already standing, ready to rush back to her suite to retrieve Twilight. “Let me go fetch it, I’ll show you!”

“But… it’s not Twilight,” Cadance said. Her voice was soothing, the kind of tone one would use to communicate with a misbehaving foal.

“Of course it’s not Twilight, Cadance,” Rarity said, with some asperity. “Why would you—”

“You keep saying her name. Rarity. Twilight Sparkle is gone. She’s not in the construct. It’s like the love letters I still have that Shiny wrote me, or the journal that Flurry keeps that still has Sunburst’s last thoughts. We may feel them in our hearts when we read them, but that doesn’t mean they’re here.

“I know that, darling,” Rarity was breathing hard, trying to contain the swell of angry heat in her breast. “I know she’s not there. But it’s so real, I can almost remember.”

“Of course it is. And of course you can.” Cadance’s eyes filled with sympathetic tears. “And I would love to see the construct as well, when we have more time. But it won’t bring Twilight back.”

Rarity knew that. It was stupid. Of course the construct wasn’t Twilight. Didn’t they understand? It was the same thing Emberglow had told her. She wasn’t some delusional nitwit, clinging to a ghost.

“I know that,” Rarity repeated, some of the heat flowing into her tone. “And frankly, I’m tired of being told. I don’t even see what any of this has to do with anything that’s going on. What business is it of any of yours what I do with the study aid that Twilight left for me?”

“It is our business because I’m your friend, Rarity. And we don’t want to see you retreat from the world, from your new friends in the present, because you’re too busy speaking to a ghost from the past.”

It was just like the time Emberglow had shut off the construct. But Rarity was doing better, now. She’d apologized. She was even designing again. “I don’t think you have any right to be judging me for retreating from the world, Empress Cadance,” Rarity stiffly emphasized the title. “I think we might be done here. Apparently, I’m going to be called on to testify in a trial. A trial, may I remind you, over the fate of the creature that killed your sister-in-law. I should probably be resting instead of creating more anxiety for myself. Such as the kind made by arguing with ponies who are supposed to be my friends.”

“We are your friends, Rarity. And we’re only looking out for you. I hope you can see that.”

Rarity threw up her hooves. “What do you want me to do, darling? I hate being at odds with you like this. I need you to stop… beating about the bush and just come out and say what you mean.”

“Very well, Rarity. Your relationship with Emberglow, and your relationship with all your other friends, is suffering. It’s suffering because of what happened back when you met with Spike, because of how you’re approaching this situation with Heartwing, and because of the time and attention you’re giving to an uncanny learning aid. That’s what I think.”

“And we all know you’re the expert,” Rarity sneered. Cadance nodded patiently. “So you’re asking me to… what? Forgive Heartwing for what he’s done?”

“No. I wouldn’t ask that.” Cadance shook her head. “Forgiveness is personal. And private. But your antagonism with him is making it hard for you to grow closer with a mare who cares about you deeply, and who you care about in turn. You need to find a way to come to terms with that and move forward. The construct is adding an additional level of complication to the whole situation. Resolve either one, and you may find yourself moving forward with Emberglow. If that’s what you want.”

Rarity opened her mouth to argue, but Cadance held up a hoof. “Look at the Empire, Rarity. What have you seen so far of my country, my people? You always had your hoof on the pulse of society. What have you noticed so far? How much has the Empire changed?”

Rarity blinked. It was an unexpected question. “Not much has changed, Cadance.”

“Exactly. Flurry told me once it was on purpose. The less the Empire changes, the less out of place I will feel when I finally emerge from my self-exile. So the Empire is, so to speak, frozen in time. Ponies come and go, but the buildings? The culture? The language? The statue of Spike the Brave and Glorious? Nothing changes. Up here, we’re like a time capsule. The world moved on, and it left us behind.

“Flurry had the best of intentions, I realize. And I can’t say she was wrong. She has preserved and saved us, saved the memory of what pony kind should be. And perhaps now we can serve as an example of what we could all have.”

“The cost seems dire,” Rarity breathed, looking over the room. It was a luxury prison, but a prison nonetheless.

“One I was happy to pay. But we’re not talking about that. We’re talking about being frozen in the past. Never progressing, never moving forward. Never taking the risk, to step into the future, to see what might be.”

“Not exactly subtle, Cadance,” Rarity mumbled.

“I’m not trying to be, Rarity. I’ve told you what you might need to do to break out of the ice. Now it’s up to you if you want to take that leap of faith. But whatever you chose, know that I love and support you fully, even though I do hope you’ll choose love.”

Was that what she wanted? Rarity thought of what it felt like to kiss Emberglow. The way they pressed against each other, the need she had felt. For one moment, before the baggage rolled in like a low tide, they had slipped together like perfectly matching puzzle pieces.

Could she have that again?

Could she have that… all the time?

Rarity gulped, swallowing hard. “All right, Cadance. I shall give it thought. Thank you.” She took a deep breath. “I’m sorry I was so rude. I know you have my best interests at heart.”

“What do you have planned, now?”

“I need some time to myself, I think. But I’ll figure something out soon.”

* * * * *

Rarity was in no mood to return to the rest of their party, still discussing the upcoming trial with the changeling leaders. Instead she retreated back to her suite. Everything was just as she’d left it, including the construct. She levitated it up onto the table in the parlor, staring at the sculpted image of one of her oldest friends. Twilight Sparkle, frozen forever in time and in memory.

One word would turn it on, would fill the room and the world with Twilight’s voice again. And Rarity could forget, for a time, everything that was different, that was vile and cruel and terrible about this world, and pretend that Twilight had returned to her side.

That Princess Twilight had the answers to fix things.

“Oh my,” Rarity whispered to the empty room. “I have been using you to hide, haven’t I?” Twilight Sparkle said nothing, even when Rarity began to weep silently.

After a few minutes, Rarity shook her head. This was not like her. For one thing, there was not a single drop of ice cream in the room. It was impossible to have a proper meltdown in the absence of cold, creamy perfection. For the second, she’d always prided herself on her adaptability, her near-prescience when it came to shifting focus and tactics when it came to next season’s fashion line, or next month’s surprise trend.

So, lacking ice cream (and ignoring the fact that there was probably a nearby servant who she could summon to acquire some), that just meant she’d have to find another way to pull herself out of her slump. And that meant creation!

So Cadance wanted her to connect more closely with Emberglow, did she? Rarity knew just what to do about that. Fashion! She remembered Emberglow mentioning that any cold-weather gear Rarity designed would surely be more fabulous than the bland, utilitarian disasters they’d had on Pearl Shimmer. Perhaps a nice coat? Something that really set off Emberglow’s warm colors.

Rarity considered fetching her sketchbook first, but instead her horn lit up and she lifted the lid off the first of the crates. Several rows of fabric bolts were stacked neatly inside, and she made good use of her newfound telekinetic dexterity and heft to lift them all out at once, sending them slowly spinning in a rotating circle around her. She studied each color and material with her expert eye, putting several back in the crate before placing her choices on an empty chair. Then she opened the second crate, repeating the process. The third followed. Finally she had a stack, mostly consisting of dyed cottons and wools, laid out for her viewing pleasure.

“Twilight, darling,” she spoke out loud. The room was too quiet, and she could at least fill it with some noise. “I’m looking to design something spectacular for Emberglow. Something that will be both practical and fashionable. I’m having trouble deciding on the base, though. Should I go with the cream cotton, or the bleached wool?”

“That information is not stored in this construct,” Twilight replied.

“Of course it isn’t, darling. It’s just fine, I think I prefer the cream more myself. It may not be as warm, but she is a pegasus, after all. They tend to be more resilient in the cold weather. Now, about accents. I’m thinking of some sort of border. Maybe in a cool color, perhaps an ice blue? What do you think?

“That information is not stored in this construct.”

“I thought not. Well, perhaps blue isn’t the way to go. What if I matched her mane? Crimson on cream would look lovely. Although, she does typically wear those white robes. Tell me, Twilight. Do you have any ideas on how to make my design visually distinct from her usual attire?”

“That information is not stored in this construct.”

“Well, that’s to be expected. Thank you for listening anyway. Hmm… perhaps red for the lining, not for a border. A deep, crimson red, maybe even silk for comfort! Ooh! This is just the thing! And then a light dusty rose faux fur on the trim, for extra warmth. That would certainly distinguish it from her Knight attire. I wonder; her robes have my cutie mark on them. What if hers has her own? The only problem is, I’m not quite sure what it looks like. Do you know what it looks like, Twilight?”

“That information is not stored in this construct.”

“I suppose this is getting rather silly at this point. I wonder at what point in time I decided to make dear Cadance’s point for her?” She sighed. “What am I supposed to do, Twilight? How do I make amends and improvements to my relationship with Emberglow, and my other friends?”

“Remember the lessons of friendship, of course,” the construct said, and Rarity nearly fell off her seat. Floating bolts of fabric, ribbon, and lace went careening to the floor at her loss of concentration. Was it really that simple? Had she really just… forgotten for a moment everything she’d learned?

“Thank you for reminding me of my priorities, Twilight. You can go ahead and shut down, or whatever it is you do. I don’t think I’ll need your help for the designing bit.”

* * * * *

The morning of the first day of trial was tense. Everypony seemed to know that Rarity had been having a hard time talking about Heartwing, so every conversation felt like walking on eggshells. They avoided the elephant in the room: the upcoming hearing.

When it came time for the trial to begin, changeling guards came and retrieved the ponies as an escort. Rarity had insisted they all dress in their best, most formal wear, so for the Knights that meant cleanly washed and repaired robes, while for Topaz it meant a court dress, chosen by Rarity for its military style with buttons running down the breast. Rarity’s own dress was professional and elegant. She would have preferred something of her own make, but she hadn’t had enough time to study the current fashion trends. The end result was beautiful, if a little different than what she was used to. It featured a sleek body and a long skirt, cut high to allow for plenty of movement. The linen was dyed a deep navy blue, a nice complement to her own violet mane, and was finished with a blocky white trim on the edges.

This time, the Sunrise Hall was packed with observers. Mostly they were a mix of changelings and crystal ponies, though Rarity did see other creatures that made up the Empire, including yaks, dogs, and a few unicorns. With some displeasure, she noted the turquoise colored mare who Emberglow had warned her about: a Diarchy knight, dressed in pink robes with Pinkie Pie’s cutie mark emblazoned arrogantly on the flank. She was surrounded by four guards, dressed in the severe uniform of the Diarchy military. Rarity made sure to glare her disapproval, though the mare was trying hard not to look at her.

In the front of the room, the two thrones sat empty. Changeling guards armed with the same pronged spears as before stood at either end. There was no sign of any of the local monarchs.

In the center stood a pair of tables. Heartwing, bound head to hoof in chains, sat at one, along with Habeus. At the other table were two crystal ponies, older stallions. One had a long, pink moustache and beard that reminded Rarity a little of Starswirl. The other wore glasses, and looked out over the room with wise, observant eyes. He met Rarity’s gaze and they widened slightly as he shifted with surprise, ruffling wings Rarity hadn’t even noticed.

Probably somepony who had grown up with stories of her, then.

There was a section of pillows roped off for Rarity and her companions, with satin pads spread out on the floor for them to sit. Rarity took her place next to Emberglow, who was tense and nervous. She wouldn’t meet Rarity’s eyes.

“Don’t worry, darling. This will all be over soon.”

“Yes, but how exactly will it end?” Emberglow asked darkly. Rarity frowned, but said nothing. They sat down and waited.

It wasn’t long. A changeling dressed in official-looking black robes emerged from the door behind the thrones. “All rise for their majesties, Queen Chrysalis the Fifth and King Pharynx the Third.”

Everypony shuffled to their feet, and the door behind the thrones opened again to reveal the queen, carrying the king in her hooves. She flew over to the thrones, landing in front of his and gently setting him down, before moving back to hers.

“Remain standing, please,” the official said. This time it was the doors Rarity came through that opened, to reveal another group of ceremonially dressed guards. Their uniforms were cloth, instead of armor, and they were resplendent with polished buttons and carefully arranged gold epaulets over lavender jackets. Each one wore a sheathed sword at their side, a ceremonial weapon with a filigree hilt. Behind them strode Princess Flurry Heart, her head raised high, her expression a mask of cold regality. “Announcing Princess Flurry Heart, Monarch of Snow and Ice, Raiser of the Sun and Moon.”

Princess Flurry approached the twin thrones and bowed slightly to the changeling royalty, a mere dip of her head, before taking a seat at the same table as the prosecuting barristers. Rarity stared in confusion.

“Wait, if it’s her palace, why is she bowing to them?” she whispered.

Emberglow shrugged. “Topaz tried to explain it, but it’s all a little confusing to me. I guess since all of the leaders have sworn fealty to Empress Cadance, everypony is equal? But Princess Flurry speaks for the Empress, so she’s a little more than equal? So in order for the King and Queen to have authority in this trial, legally this audience hall is made sovereign changeling territory for the duration. That’s what Topaz said, at least.”

Rarity would have been more self-conscious about all the whispering, but there was a low hum audible across all the participants and observers. Many creatures were speculating and gossiping with their neighbors.

“That makes sense,” Rarity whispered back. She watched as the Queen rose, waiting politely as the rest of the room quieted down.

“Friends and subjects, dear allies and distant cousins,” she gave a nod towards the Diarchy ambassador at the end. “I thank you for coming on this important day. My brother and I,” she motioned to King Pharynx, “have been asked to preside over today's proceedings. Heartwing, once known as Discord, you are charged with several dire counts, including the regicide of Princess Twilight Sparkle. I am told that you have pled guilty to these charges. Do you wish to change your plea at this time?”

“No, your majesties,” Heartwing called out. His voice was hoarse. Rarity wondered why.

“Then we may proceed with the sentencing hearing. Multiple witnesses have come today, ready to plead for mercy, or to demand strict justice. Would you like to speak on your own behalf?”

“Your majesties,” Habeus slid in smoothly. “Heartwing will not be speaking on his own behalf today.” He shot an annoyed look at Heartwing, though it quickly disappeared. “I will be calling several of his friends and associates, in order to showcase that he has changed significantly and been rehabilitated from the creature he once was. If the court will allow it.”

“It will,” Queen Chrysalis said. “And you will be providing counter witnesses for the prosecution, Gear Tooth and Pressure Front?”

“Yes, your majesties,” the mustachioed barrister intoned in a deep bass voice. “Our intent is to show that no matter what change may have come over this creature, he is still far too chaotic and dangerous to be allowed free. It is the opinion of the Princess that he should be incarcerated indefinitely for his crimes.”

“Very well.” The queen glanced across the courtroom. “I have also been informed that a third party wishes to address the court? Iron Oxide, you wish to make a statement?”

“I do, your majesties,” a voice from the back of the courtroom spoke. Rarity turned to see a young crystal pony standing beside the Diarchy ambassador. “I have been retained to represent the interests of Lady Turquoise of the Holy Equestrian Diarchy. She, and her people, believe they have a vested interest in the outcome of the trial, and wish to make a statement for the court record.” He cleared his throat, holding up a sheet of paper, and began to read.

“We, the ponies of the Holy Equestrian Diarchy, applaud the wise and noble efforts of Princess Flurry Heart to see this vile and contemptible creature ‘Heartwing’ brought to justice. We pledge the support of the Diarchy in the Princess’ goal in seeing him incarcerated forever. In addition, the creature Heartwing has committed multiple acts of terrorism, theft, murder, and brutality throughout our borders. Should the Crystal Crown be unable to obtain a punishment fitting these crimes, and should Her Highness allow it, we will be seeking to extradite this dangerous criminal so that he can face justice in our own lands. We are also prepared to testify as to the specifics of the crimes he has committed against our innocent ponies.”

Rarity’s stomach twisted with disgust, and she could see the scowl on Princess Flurry’s muzzle, cracking her cool, professional royal demeanor. She was probably just now understanding her own anger put her on the same side as the Diarchy, Rarity realized. She wasn’t sure where she stood herself, but Rarity felt a slimy ooze of self-hatred in her head at the idea that her own thoughts may have been aligned with those bigots, for whatever reason.

“Thank you, Mister Oxide,” the Queen said, nothing breaking her own serene composure. She glanced at her brother. “Are you ready to proceed?”

“Of course,” King Pharynx said. “Gear Tooth, the prosecution may make its case first.”

The mustachioed barrister stood. “Thank you, your majesties. Our first witness will be Professor Onyx Stripe, of the Imperial University.”

A crystal pony with jet-black fur and a grey mane stood from the gallery, approaching the space before the thrones. He bowed low to the King and Queen, before standing again.

“Professor Stripe, can you tell us your scholarly qualifications?”

“I am the holder of the Imperial University’s Seat of Ancient Equestrian History. I have studied the time of the Bearers of the Elements for five decades. I have written three books on the subject of the time period leading up to the coup and eventual takeover of Equestria by the Cult of the Saints, the organization now known as ‘the Diarchy’. I am considered the foremost expert of that period by my colleagues.”

“Your majesties?” Habeus interjected. “Is the testimony of this witness truly necessary? Sir Heartwing has pled guilty. The facts of the case are not really in question.”

“On the contrary, your majesties,” Gear Tooth said. “It seems very relevant to discuss the impact of his choices. To do so, we must have the proper historical context.”

“This is a sentencing hearing, not a trial,” King Pharynx mused. “I think there’s room for some context. Continue.”

Rarity tried to turn off her ears, to stop listening, as the professor began to describe what had happened on that day. He showed ancient, preserved photographs of a crater where Ponyville had once stood. Each detail, each home ruined, each pony that didn’t quite evacuate quickly enough, was another nail in Rarity’s heart. Sure, most of them weren’t ponies she had known personally, due to the passage of time, but she couldn’t bear to look at the smoking wreckage of her home, even in photos.

“Thank you, professor. Can you now describe the results of the events of that day?”

“It’s purely speculative, but the consensus among my peers is that the death of Twilight Sparkle led directly to the rise of the Diarchy. Every single historian I know agrees that the rebel cultists would not have been able to seize Canterlot if Twilight Sparkle had still been alive.”

Rarity wanted to crouch down and cover her ears, but she couldn’t. She glanced over at Heartwing. He sat stoically in his chains, but tears streamed down his face. She glanced over at Princess Flurry, who was also crying, though her own baleful look was locked onto the prisoner himself. She even glanced at the pink-robed Diarchy Knight, whose eyes were alight with a sort of sickening satisfaction.

Rarity’s own head swam with confusion. What was she supposed to do? Nothing she did now could change the outcome of the trial, could it? Did she even want to?

The next witness was another historian; this one an archivist. Rarity didn’t even register her name. She read the eyewitness accounts of the destruction. Rarity recognized some of those names; Pound Cake, who lost his sister and her foals in the blast. Coda Heartstrings, who was paralyzed by the crumbling remains of his mothers’ home when he went back to try and retrieve their family photo albums. Cheesecake, apparently granddaughter of Pinkie and Cheese Sandwich, who lost her newlywed husband in the blast. Even though the witness read each story with a dispassionate voice, Rarity could tell that Heartwing and the Princess weren’t the only ones weeping.

The next several witnesses were there to testify to the horrors of the Diarchy itself. Habeus objected again, and once again was overruled by the monarchs. Several pony expatriates got up to testify, describing horrific conditions. A muscular pegasus stallion told the tale of a forced maiming after he was discovered with his male lover. A unicorn described the harrying journey she had to make when her hiding place was found out by nosy neighbors. A family of earth ponies recounted the conditions of their farming village, how ponies were not allowed to leave without permission of the local confessor. Gear Tooth had even found a young griffon, who described her own parents being put to death for the crime of trying to help smuggle ponies out of the Diarchy.

“Your majesties, this is excessive,” Habeus finally said when the young hen had finished her own testimony. “We all know just how savage and dangerous the Diarchy is.” Rarity heard a huff of anger from behind her, but didn’t turn to dignify the ambassador with another look. “We don’t need a dozen witnesses to remind us.”

“Do any of your further witnesses have a direct connection to Heartwing?” Queen Chrysalis asked.

Gear Tooth nodded. “One more, your honor. Princess Flurry Heart would like to testify.”

There was a sudden buzz of excitement about the audience hall, but Rarity’s stomach sunk. With each new witness, Princess Flurry’s face had grown harder and harder, despite the wet stain of tears on her cheeks. Finally she approached the throne from her place at the prosecution table.

“Your Majesties. I thank you from the bottom of my heart that you have come to undertake this grim duty today,” she spoke. The audience’s jabber immediately silenced to a dead hush. “I promise the prosecution will not waste any more of the court's time, after I have spoken.

“I loved my aunt. She was dear to me. She was dear to the whole world, and we have just spent the last three hours coming to understand just what her loss meant to all of us. This… pony, this monster, was supposed to be her friend. But instead of listening to her, instead of calming his madness and his grief, he gave in, lost control of his power, and caused death and havoc that have reached a thousand years into our time.

“When he awoke, he didn’t seek to take responsibility for his actions, but instead engaged in a foolish campaign of destruction, anarchy, and pointless rebellion. He is irresponsible and dangerous, and there must be a reckoning.”

“Thank you, your highness,” Gear Tooth said. “I would like to have some more specifics regarding some points, though. Your aunt, Twilight Sparkle, was Princess of Friendship, correct?”

“Yes.”

“And Discord was, supposedly, her friend?”

“He professed to be. Until he forced her to kill herself while turning him into stone.”

“Of course. Did she see what was happening? Did she try to stop what he was doing?”

“She begged him to stop,” Princess Flurry spat. “Pleaded with him. As the maelstrom of his out-of-control chaos magic began to grow and surround Ponyville in a whirlwind of destruction, her first instinct was to try to reason with the mad creature. Maybe if she’d just killed him, none of this would have happened. She’d still be alive, and Equestria would still be at peace, united.”

“But he was beyond reason?”

“We’re here today, aren’t we? The results speak for themselves.”

“But Heartwing claims to have changed. The defense insists the Heartwing of today is not the Discord of yesterday.”

“And we have nothing but his word to suggest that!” Princess Flurry snarled. “We are just to trust him? To take what he says at face value? What if it happens again?” She pointed a hoof at Terminus. “We saw what happened when Fluttershy died. Heartwing lost control. But all accounts say he has retained his longevity, if not his old form. What is to happen when this lover of his dies? Will Angel’s Rest become a crater, as well?”

Rarity shot a glance back at the Diarchy ambassador, who had a suddenly interested look on her face. Princess Flurry scowled, as if realizing her mistake. From what Rarity understood, the Diarchy knew very little about Angel’s Rest, and the Princess had just proved that she was aware of it.

“The point is,” Princess Flurry continued after a calming breath. “We have no way of knowing if he has truly reformed, this time. We’ve heard that song and dance routine before. And every time it comes back to haunt us. I don’t know why we should take that gamble again.”

“Of course we shouldn’t, Princess,” Gear Tooth said, eyeing Heartwing with a nervous look. Rarity pursed her lips. It seemed like a disingenuous bit of theater, to her. “There’s one other thing I think we haven’t covered yet. Heartwing is charged with Regicide, but it’s not just that, is it? Twilight Sparkle was an alicorn. Perhaps you might tell us a little about what that means?”

“Alicorns aren’t mortal, though in rare circumstances we can be destroyed, as Twilight was,” Princess Flurry said. “As tasteless as it may seem to value one life ahead of another, the life that Heartwing ended that day wasn’t a normal, mortal lifetime. He snuffed out potentially hundreds, maybe thousands of years of life. What sort of social advancements could have been made, what sort of magical discoveries were lost, when that brilliant voice went silent? We can’t even begin to measure the cost of the tragedy Heartwing brought upon us.”

It was too much for Rarity. She was exhausted, and her mind swam in a swamp of confusion and grief. Twilight Sparkle should have been here. Twilight Sparkle should have stopped this. Twilight Sparkle was dead, and nothing anypony ever did would bring Twilight Sparkle back. She could feel the pain, the utter anguish and loneliness in every single one of Princess Flurry Heart’s words. The hitch in her voice each time she said her aunt’s name. She’d felt the same, herself.

Before she realized she was doing it, she had risen to her hooves. Emberglow turned to stare at her, as did the barrister, Gear Tooth. Habeus was whispering something at her harshly, motioning with his hooves. Sound retreated to the background, and for a moment all Rarity could hear was the voice of her friend.

I don’t blame Discord for what happened. I blame myself.

She felt a pressure screaming in her head, and suddenly she was pushing her way out of the hall. Ponies and other creatures cried out at her rudeness, but she ignored the wave of indignant sound. The stunned looking guards at the door swung them open for her, and she burst into the hallway, gasping for air.

I should have noticed the signs that he wasn’t going to handle the grief well. I should have been a better friend.

Was that an excuse, even? Did that mean he should escape consequences for what he did? Her hooves slammed into the crystal floors as she thundered down the hallway. Surprised palace staff and startled guards hurried out of her way. Some called after, checking to see if she was okay, but she ignored them.

I don’t know how I know, but I’m sure he’s involved in whatever efforts there are to fix Equestria, to bring it back to what it should be.

Was Flurry Heart just going to ignore all that he’d been doing, however misguided, to try and fix things? Could Rarity keep ignoring it? She reached the door to her suite, panting for breath as she heaved it open with her hooves.

I know Discord will regret what he’s done, but please don’t let him wallow in it.

Could she afford to forgive him for what he’d done? Could she afford not to? She dashed over to the couch, where Emberglow’s in-progress coat was sitting in incomplete pieces scattered about the couch cushions.

Had she lost her way? Rarity pondered the question as she ran her hoof over the cotton and silk. There was a time she never would have considered doing any of the things she was doing now. She would have settled down in Angel’s Rest, opened a boutique, and tried to get on with a normal life. Now she was making decisions for ponies beyond herself, learning new magic, bumping elbows with royalty, attending trials for regicide. Deciding the fate of the world. How could she keep moving forward without losing who she was?

She glanced down at the Twilight construct, where it had fallen after her session with it yesterday. Talking to Twilight while she’d worked to design the coat had been an eye-opener, to be sure. Each chant of “That information is not stored in this construct” had drilled home the simple fact: she’d come to rely too much on Twilight’s voice in the last few days to guide what she was doing. Who she was becoming. Well, it was time to change that.

I won’t ask you to forgive him. But please tell him that I forgive him.

Fortunately, Rarity knew just where to start. She picked up the construct with her magic and marched out the door, back towards the Sunrise Hall.

* * * * *

“I’m sorry, ma’am. We can’t let you in until there’s a break in the hearing,” the guards shuffled their hooves awkwardly. Rarity had planted herself firmly in front of them, demanding entry, but they were standing resolute, despite knowing who she was.

She’d told them. Repeatedly.

“I’m not quite sure I understand you. I was allowed to leave, but now I’m not allowed back in?” Rarity demanded. The guards nodded.

“It’s to avoid disrupting the proceedings. As soon as there’s a break in the witnesses, you can go right in.”

Well. That certainly pulled the brakes on her momentum. Briefly she considered finding a way to shove past them anyways; they were both crystal ponies, no wings nor horns. She was sure her magic was strong enough now that she could bully her way past them before they could say boo about it. But there was probably no need for that level of dramatics. She sighed, and sat down to wait.

“You’re… going to wait right here?”

“I have a message of the utmost importance, good stallions,” Rarity said with a sniff. “If it must be delayed, it must. But I shan’t waste a minute longer than I have to.” She placed the Twilight statue down on the floor in front of her and began to hum a tune to herself; an old song Pinkie had sung once about smiling.

“Uh… I don’t know how long it will be, you’re sure you don’t want to…”

“Good sir, unless the next words out of your mouth are, ‘go right in, Miss Rarity’, I simply can’t be bothered to hear them.”

“Actually,” he said, flinching. “After… um… your exit, the Princess asked that the doors be shut until the end of today.”

“Oh? And you thought a lie would dissuade me from entry?” Rarity narrowed her eyes. “She must have been rather upset.”

The guard gulped nervously. Rarity didn’t see why. She wasn’t even trying to be intimidating.

Yet.

“She didn’t want things to be disturbed, again.”

“Well, it’s high time something disturbing happened. She’s making a mistake, just like I was. And I’m going inside to let her know as much.”

The guards stood a little more stiffly, crossing their spears over the door. But Rarity had something else in mind entirely. Throwing caution to the wind, she had a burst of inspiration from the statue. She picked it up, charging up her horn a bit for Twilight Sparkle’s own signature spell.

“We can’t…”

“Ta, darlings,” Rarity cooed, then fired the spell. She’d never tried it before. It very well could backfire. She’d only ever thought about it in theory, studying from Twilight’s book and the construct itself. But when she felt the magic fill her horn, suddenly it seemed like the most natural thing in the world.

She wasn’t casting blind; she knew the inside of the Sunrise Hall. Like the construct had explained, she focused on the destination while simultaneously focusing on the spot where she stood right now. Reaching out with a bolt of her magic, she drew a line between them, drawing them together like two seams with a suture. Her magic made the thread, and suddenly two locations became one location, and everything went black.

There was a pop of sound, and a ring in Rarity’s ears, and suddenly everything was bright again. The room was full of cries of shock and dismay, angry shouts, the clanking of metal. Everything spun for a few seconds as Rarity reeled on her hooves. Using all the willpower she could, she demanded that her muscles not fail her, that she not crumple into a dizzy heap. Slowly the room came into focus, and she looked around herself, to the gaggle of changeling and pony guards that now surrounded her, blades pointed, eyes full of shock and anger.

“I’m sorry about the entrance, darlings, but the guards outside were being simply unreasonable.” Rarity felt a giddy sort of thrill as she spoke, butterflies of nervous excitement filling her gut. “I apologize as well for my hasty exit.” She turned to face the bemused faces of the King and Queen of the changelings. “It was rude of me, as was my… hmm… rather sudden entrance.”

“By all rights, we could have you arrested for contempt,” King Pharynx said, though Rarity could see amusement tugging at the edges of his mouth. “Why shouldn’t we?”

“Because I offer your majesties, and this court, both my humblest apologies, as well as a new witness very relevant to this proceeding hearing. If you would allow it, I can show you what I mean.”

“Your majesties,” Habeus spoke up, and Rarity glanced at him, giving him a winning smile. He looked skeptical, but hopeful. “I was just finishing up with this witness. I have no objection.”

“Your majesties, Princess Flurry has asked to close these proceedings for the rest of the day, and you granted her request. To rescind it now would be disruptive.” Gear Tooth’s voice cut through the excited, murmuring crowd, and Rarity had to resist the impulse to stick her tongue out at him.

Instead, she met eyes with Flurry Heart. The princess was staring at the construct she had clutched in her hooves. Rarity could see a million questions in her eyes. She let the sounds of all the other ponies fade away and she tried to reach deep into the heart of just one pony.

“Please listen,” she whispered. “You will regret it if you do not.”

They stared at each other for an eternity, eyes meeting over the noise of the courtroom. The princess gazed down at the unicorn. One pony fearful and uncertain, the other confident and strong.

The princess blinked.

“Do what you will,” Princess Flurry whispered. Then, more loudly: “Guards, stand down. Her dramatic entrance aside, Rarity has as much right to be here as anypony. She was also very much a victim in this, if not more so than myself.”

“Thank you, dear,” Rarity said, feeling a touch of affection for the Princess and her admission. “You won’t be sorry.”

The guards backed slowly away from her, and Rarity took a second to take in what else was happening. Terminus stood in front of the changeling leaders, probably mid-testimony when Rarity’s teleportation had interrupted things. He gave her a worried look.

“Should I step back?” he asked nervously at Habeus. Habeus looked at the King and Queen, who in turn looked to Princess Flurry.

“Let’s see what this surprise witness has to say,” the princess said. “I have no objections.” Her barristers shrugged.

“Very well. Terminus, you may step back, though, with your majesties’ permission, I would like to beg leave to call him again at a later date if I have to.”

“Granted,” King Pharynx said. Rarity saw the grin he’d been threatening earlier had burst out. He looked curious and intense. “Now. Who is this witness of yours?”

“I have in my hooves a construct, built by Twilight Sparkle herself,” Rarity said. She set the construct down on the floor, before the King and Queen. “It is, in most respects, her final words. She created the construct to help the ponies who walked in her wake to try and fix everything that had gone wrong with the world. And she has a message that I believe is relevant. Twilight? Would you please play your final thoughts about Heartwing? I mean, Discord.”

The construct came to life, it’s mouth opening, and Twilight began to speak.

“I don’t blame Discord for what happened,” she began. Twilight’s voice sounded resigned, full of regret and failure. It wasn’t the first time Rarity had heard the message, but she still wished she could have been there to comfort her. To tell her it was okay, that Rarity would fix things for her. “I blame myself.

“I should have seen what was happening. I should have seen the panic in his eyes as Fluttershy faded. I should have noticed the signs that he wasn’t going to handle the grief well. I should have been a better friend.”

That part stung. Rarity saw it now, and she met Heartwing’s eyes. Could she apologize with a look? She’d have to use words later, but now, the best she could do was meet his silent gaze. He smiled, a look full of warmth and love and forgiveness, and tears sprang to her eyes.

“Instead, I was too caught up in what I was discovering.” Wasn’t that a lovely accusation? But now wasn’t the time for Rarity’s guilt. “I found hints of a conspiracy to eat away at the Harmony magic that envelops Equestria. I thought this would be the most important thing for me to focus my time on. How could I have been so blind? I’m the Princess of Friendship, for Celestia’s sake, not the Princess of Finding Out About Conspiracies. In the end, it’s going to cost us both everything.” Not if I can help it, Twilight, Rarity thought.

“Discord snapped when Fluttershy died. In retrospect, it makes perfect sense. This is the first time Discord has had to deal with real loss and grief. Before, he didn’t make friends, so he didn’t care when ponies died. Can you imagine living for thousands of years, never experiencing grief or loss that way? He was completely unprepared for the emotion, and it broke him.

“Whichever one of you is seeing this message, if it’s Sunset, Starlight, or Rarity, please be patient with him. I don’t know how I know, but I’m sure he’s involved in whatever efforts there are to fix Equestria, to bring it back to what it should be.” Rarity hoped that Flurry wouldn’t blame herself too hard, but they’d both fallen into the same trap, in a way. Neither one wanted to see what Heartwing was doing; they’d both been too caught up in what he’d done. “I’ve caught glimpses, brief impressions of the future. I don’t know where this prescience comes from, but I trust it. I know Discord will regret what he’s done, but please don’t let him wallow in it. I won’t ask you to forgive him. But please tell him that I forgive him.”

“Princess Twilight forgave Heartwing,” Rarity said into the silence that followed. “It’s about time that I do too. Whatever else happens, I forgive you, darling. And I beg for your friendship again.”

“You have it, Rarity.” The smile they shared would have made the Princess of Friendship proud, Rarity thought.

After their conversation, nopony made a sound. The silence was thick, as if everypony was too afraid to be the first to break it. And then Rarity heard a sob.

“C-can I…” Flurry Heart gasped. “Can I have a recess? Please?”

Queen Chrysalis and King Pharynx were barely able to nod before Princess Flurry’s horn lit, and with a pop of energy she disappeared from the room. Everypony gaped at the spot she’d just vacated. Within seconds, the gossip and chatter began anew, growing in volume until the entire room was alive with voices. Confused, excited, speculative; the cacophony threatened to overwhelm her. But then she felt a hoof at her shoulder.

“Habeus says they’ll be recessing until tomorrow,” Emberglow whispered in her ear. “We have some time. Come with me, please?” Rarity gave a nod, and Emberglow pushed forward through the crowd. The guards finally noticed that they were trying to leave, and graciously made a space through the gallery so the two of them could make it to the doors.

Once they were outside the courtroom, the two guards glared angrily at Rarity. She simply smiled and waved, then turned to Emberglow. “What can I do for you, darling?”

“C-can we talk? In private?” Emberglow stammered. There was a nervous glow to her cheeks, and her limbs trembled. Rarity couldn’t tell why.

“Of course. My room?”

“Sure,” Emberglow managed, then spun, practically dashing down the hallway. Rarity had to nearly jog to keep up. Briefly she wondered if she could teleport in front of the more athletic mare, but she decided not to push it. One flashy teleportation entrance a day was probably enough; she could feel the strain in her head, a light sort of pressure that she was certain could become a crushing headache if she pushed herself too hard.

Emberglow was silent as they practically ran to Rarity’s suite. She stopped when she got there, waiting by the door for Rarity to catch up. Emberglow’s eye was bright, alight with a fire that Rarity found hard to interpret. She stepped up and opened the door with a brief flick of her telekinesis.

“Come on in, darling,” Rarity said. At the last second she remembered the pieces of Emberglow’s gift-in-progress were still spread out over the couch. Oh well, it was too late now. If she saw, hopefully she wouldn’t understand what it was. She stepped into the room, gesturing invitingly with one hoof.

Emberglow closed the door gently behind her. “You meant it. Every word. Everything you did,” Emberglow breathed out, her voice barely loud enough to be heard. It wasn’t a question.

“You’re the Element of Honesty, darling. What do you think?” Rarity said, smiling. Emberglow’s good eye searched Rarity’s face. Her hooves were shaking, her lips worked soundlessly, like she wanted to say something, but nothing came out. “Really, Emberglow. What—”

There was no warning. Emberglow pressed her lips against Rarity’s, so quickly Rarity let out a small squeak before melting into the passionate embrace.

Emberglow was almost aggressive, leaning against Rarity as they both let out little hungry moans. She kissed with all the passion of the inexperienced, fumbling and clumsy and eager. They kissed until they were both breathless, and Rarity felt herself getting a little lightheaded.



Oh goodness, am I about to literally swoon?



Rarity raised her hoof, ready to caress the side of Emberglow’s face when Emberglow suddenly jerked back, breathing hard.

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry! It’s like I couldn’t help myself! I saw you, teleporting into the courtroom like that with your horn glowing and your mane all perfectly mussed from your running and then you said all of those things and I wasn’t even sure what side you were going to end up on but you said all those things and it was so perfect and brave and you were just so hot in that moment that I just had to…”

“D-darling, please,” Rarity was giggling. “Take a moment to breathe. If you pass out, you can’t kiss me more.”

“M-more?”

“Or,” Rarity leaned in, actually running her hoof along the soft fur of Emberglow’s cheek. Emberglow shivered slightly. “You could just keep telling me how hot I was. A lady loves to be complimented.”

“You’re gorgeous, Rarity,” Emberglow breathed, their noses closing until they touched. Emberglow’s mouth was barely moving. “But more than that. You’re confident, and smart, and so graceful…”

“Enough compliments,” Rarity whispered, and closed the last bit of space between their lips again. Emberglow was so soft as they kissed, soft as Rarity stroked her mane, touching her. She was soft when her wings swept around, tickling and caressing at Rarity’s sides. Even when Rarity could feel the hard muscles underneath Emberglow’s fur, her hooves were still so careful in their ministrations. The kiss broke, and Rarity buried her nose in Emberglow’s mane, breathing in her scent.

“Th-they called a recess for the trial, right?” Emberglow said tentatively. “So we have nowhere to be for the rest of the day?”

“Oh, I love the way you think,” Rarity purred, gently pushing Emberglow back towards the bedroom.

Author's Note:

Hey, you should come join us on Discord! Link can now be found in the story description.

PreviousChapters Next