• Published 19th May 2020
  • 10,413 Views, 1,831 Comments

Rekindled Embers - applezombi



Hundreds of years after the death of Twilight Sparkle, a brutal theocracy rules over ponies with an iron hoof. A young pegasus mare slowly learns the truth about her world, and the lies her faith is built on.

  • ...
46
 1,831
 10,413

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Emberglow’s Dream Journal, Entry 5

Last night, I dreamed about the mare in the moon again. At least, I think I did. I never saw her, but I heard her voice. At first it was tears and sobbing, but when I began flying towards the sound, I think she realized I was there.

I’m still convinced this was some sort of lucid dream. I knew I was dreaming, but I was in control of most things. I was in a forest, and the sounds of crying and sobbing just kept getting louder as I got closer. Finally I flew into the clearing where the sounds were coming from.

The mare wasn’t there, or at least I couldn’t see her. I absolutely knew she was there, though (dream logic, I guess). I think she hid herself from my sight, somehow, but when I entered the clearing she stopped crying.

“Emberglow...” Her voice was sweet and musical, as usual when she addressed me. It floated like a wind, rustling the leaves on the trees around me.

“Can’t you tell me who you are?” I asked. This was the fifth time I’ve dreamed of this mare, and I was growing much more curious.

“You’re about to fly into a storm, Emberglow,” the voice replied. I don’t even know if she heard my question. “But you’re strong. Keep your ears open, my little pony, and listen with your heart.”

I felt a cool breeze blowing over my fur and feathers. It felt so much like the loving embrace of my mother that I longed to hug her back, but there was nothing to hug. I opened my mouth to speak again, but my alarm woke me up. I nearly didn’t get up, but I remembered that Lady Turquoise said we had somewhere important to go early this morning, so I forced myself out of bed.

Saints, she’s being so annoyingly cryptic about this whole thing.

1111 AF, Ruins of Old Canterlot

“So your Knight didn’t tell you anything about this trip either?” Emberglow asked Lofty as the two of them sat across from each other on the rattling train. It was chugging its way up the mountain towards the ruins high on the mountain above New Canterlot City.

“Just that we’ll be finishing our last six months as squires up in the ruins, and that there’s a lot of training that happens, more classes, more learning, and lots of secret stuff.” Lofty seemed much less curious than Emberglow, maybe even nonchalant. It was a touch annoying.

“That’s more than what Lady Turquoise told me,” she growled. “She pretty much shoved me onto the train with a muffin and a giggle, and said ‘good luck’ before walking off. You’d think after a year of working together, she could be a bit less frustrating.” She rolled her eyes. “I think she thinks she’s funny.” Lofty laughed, and Emberglow glared at him.

“Oh, Saints, it’s so good to see you, Emberglow. Letters weren’t enough,” he said as he chuckled. “Speaking of letters, you said you were in a riot recently? How was it?”

“Well I was behind the front lines. Just doing first aid and stuff,” Emberglow demurred, embarrassed by the eagerness she heard in his voice. “It was a group of actors and theater ponies protesting the arrest of some playwright.”

“What did he do?”

“I don’t know. Just that the censors objected to something in his play, and he refused to retract it.” Emberglow shrugged. She’d never bothered to learn more about why the ponies had been upset; her focus had been more on the emergency medical response. “Besides, my story’s not that impressive. What about you? Your letters seemed to suggest you were dating, what, about a dozen mares? Two dozen?”

“Not that many!” Lofty yelped, and Emberglow smirked.

“So it was more than one, then?” she said slyly, and Lofty blushed.

“Can we talk about something else?” he pleaded, rubbing his hooves together nervously. Emberglow laughed, but silently she agreed with him. It was just a bit too close to uncomfortable territory for the two of them.

She glanced out the window, watching the bushes and trees growing out of the side of the mountain whiz past them. “I haven’t ridden a train since I was a foal,” she said softly.

“Wow, really? I travel by train all the time. Our family’s country manor is…” Lofty began, then trailed off with an uncomfortable laugh. “Um, yeah. Never mind. I’ve been really working hard at not accidentally sounding like a rich jerk.”

“You’re fine,” Emberglow laughed, waving off his apology. “It’s a noble effort.”

Lofty grinned at her teasing tone before moving on. “So, how is your Knight’s project going on?”

“It’s going well. I don’t know how she’s going to cope without me, though,” Emberglow huffed, slightly annoyed. If she’d had a bit more preparation before she’d been unceremoniously dumped on a train full of confused and excited squires, maybe she could have prepared Lady Turquoise a bit better for the meetings, interviews, and other plans they’d planned for the coming weeks. She sighed. “She’ll be fine, though. She’s smart, and now thanks to me, she’s organized. Sir Steadfast is working with her, too.”

“That’s good. You still sound worried, though,” Lofty teased.

“Yeah, a little. At least she said she’d write.” Emberglow rolled her eyes before changing the subject to something less frustrating. “Anyway, did you finally decide which Order to join?”

“It took me a while. When I was a foal, trying for the Knighthood was always the plan, but I think I always saw myself defaulting to the Adamant. Joining the ranks of the family’s legend for derring-do and heroics, I guess. But as I grew up, that appealed to me less and less. I think all the time I’ve spent with Lady Mercy has rubbed off on me.”

“Um, you know you can’t join the Radiants, right?” Emberglow teased. Lofty laughed.

“Yes, yes. I don’t exactly have the equipment for it,” he replied, and Emberglow blushed. “That’s not what I meant, though. Lady Mercy and I spent a great deal of time at a military hospital with physical therapy, rehabilitating soldiers with permanent injuries. Amputees, that sort of thing. It made me think about how I wanted to help ponies.

“I spoke with a lot of soldiers, Emberglow. Common folk with backgrounds just like you. Um.” He paused for a second, seeming to realize that he might be saying something insensitive. He glanced at Emberglow, his eyes wary.

“Go on,” she prodded gently.

“I don’t know how else to put it, Emberglow. Ponies sometimes get into the military to escape their lives. We have it good in the city, Emberglow. Much better than most. Sometimes ponies sign up for the service just because they don’t wanna be trapped on a farm their whole life. It made me think that those ponies need somepony looking out for them. Somepony on their side.” He stopped, looking embarrassed. “Look, it sounds a little silly saying it out loud. I’d be the first to admit I’m a bit removed from the plight of common ponies. But I’m going to learn what I can. I’ve decided to join the Vigilant. So I can advocate for ponies. The less fortunate, that sort of thing. I think that’s the work the Saints are calling me to do.”

“Lofty, that’s amazing!” Emberglow smiled widely. It wasn’t hard to be proud of her friend. “I’m sure Saint Applejack is pleased with you.”

“I hope so.” Lofty smiled in return. “Lady Mercy approves. I had a lot of talks with her. She’s amazing.”

“Yes she is,” Emberglow agreed, thinking of her own all too brief encounters with the Knight Radiant. With a stunned, excited sort of realization, it dawned on her that the next time she saw Lady Mercy, they would probably be sisters in the Order. Her heart pounded with excitement, her hooves tapping against the train car floor in an excited tattoo. “So… what are we going to be doing on top of the mountain?” Her voice glowed with naked eagerness.

“No clue,” Lofty laughed at Emberglow’s enthusiasm. “I know we’re going to be trained by our future Order. We get to learn their secrets, whatever that means.”

“I’m really curious,” Emberglow admitted. “I can’t wait.”

It turned out that neither of them would have to wait for much longer. The train’s gentle ascent finally came to an end, and Emberglow and Lofty both looked out the car’s window to see a small, lonely station. The platform was tiny, and full of Knights in robes. The largest number of them were dressed in the sky blue robes of the Knights Adamant, though there were also a sizable number dressed in the pink robes of the Jubilant as well. There were less of the Mystics and Vigilant, and the Radiant were the fewest of all. In fact, Emberglow was almost certain there was only a single Knight Radiant, standing out in the sea of colored robes. One by one, the train attendant called out each squire’s name, assigning them to the Knight who would be in charge of their training.

“Squire Emberglow, report to Lady Whispery.” The attendant called her name, and she and Lofty shared a farewell hug before she stepped off to find her new mentor.

It turned out that Lady Whispery was the only Knight Radiant standing on a platform that was full of over energetic squires. She was easy to pick out of the crowd in her snow white robes complete with Saint Rarity’s cutie mark symbol on the flank. Emberglow trotted over, weaving past the other squires. It seemed like there was already another aspiring Radiant who had found their way to Lady Whispery first and was speaking with her. Emberglow thought the figure looked vaguely familiar, almost like…

She came to a stumbling halt, earning a few disgruntled looks from the other squires moving about. Almost unthinkingly, she clenched her eyes shut and breathed three deep breaths slowly, inhaling through her nose, exhaling through her mouth, before forcing her eyes open again.

Standing in front of Lady Whispery was a pastel purple earth pony with a familiar midnight blue mane. The squire who was apparently to be her fellow student, whom she would one day call "Sister", was Astrolabe, one of her bullies from the Ivy Seminary.

Suppressing a shudder, she forced herself to look forward as she walked the rest of the way to the Knight Radiant, trying her best to ignore the other squire.

Lady Whispery was a middle aged pegasus mare, with a short cut white mane and yellow fur and feathers. She wore glasses, and had a patient, matronly smile. A nametag was pinned to her robes.

“You’re Emberglow?” the Knight asked, and Emberglow nodded, trying not to be too dismayed that Astrolabe was there. Astrolabe looked equally displeased at Emberglow’s presence. “Good. If you’d both follow me please.” She sighed. “Only two this year. Oh well.”

As the two squires followed Lady Whispery out of the station, Astrolabe muscled her way in front of Emberglow with an upturned nose and an arrogant swish of her tail. Emberglow eyed her, suppressing an annoyed huff. She couldn’t even begin to imagine why this absolutely stuck up and vicious mare would think that she would belong with the Knights Radiant, an order dedicated to compassion and healing. It was an unworthy thought, and one that left her simmering with guilt, but it wouldn’t let go.

The three of them made their way through the crowd and queued up to exit the building; the single exit was creating a bit of a bottleneck at the mouth of the building. Emberglow stretched her neck to look over the crowd of ponies, seeing two Mystic guards checking each pony that exited the station, ensuring that only Knights and squires were admitted into the old Canterlot.

“They’re really serious about security,” she noted. Astrolabe sniffed, which Emberglow pointedly ignored, while Lady Whispery nodded.

“The Knights all hold this place sacred,” she said. “It’s important to all the orders. This place is the heart of Knighthood.” There was a fondness in her voice as she spoke, an earnest sort of fervor. “We are the only ones allowed in. Just Knights and squires.”

The station exited onto a packed dirt path that had been trod on by thousands of hooves over centuries. It was clear of debris or ruins, but to the right and left, in an absurd display of irrational architecture, cracked and crumbling white spires jutted into the sky. Some were even built into stilts or horizontal platforms jutting from the side of the steep mountain. Emberglow had read about the old city, but to see it herself was incredible. Indeed, all of the squires had gone silent, slowing almost to a standstill as they saw the impossible city clinging to the side of the mountain.

“This is unicorn arrogance in its finest,” Lady Whispery said softly. “They weren’t content to build on flat ground like a normal pony would, instead they had to warp the landscape to their liking. It sends a message to the rest of the ponies. ‘Look at us,’ it says. ‘Look at our majesty and our power.’ And where are they now?” She gave a humorless laugh. “That’s why we leave Old Canterlot like it is. So that we never forget what hubris looks like.”

“Didn’t the Diarchs themselves live here at one time?” Emberglow asked, ignoring the glare Astrolabe was giving her. “Why didn’t they put a stop to…” she gestured with her hoof at the extravagant devastation that surrounded her. “All this?”

“We don’t really know,” Lady Whispery said thoughtfully. “I’d like to think they tried to guide ponies with their example and the holiness of their presence, but we’ll never know for sure. The Saints themselves were silent on the subject.”

“There’s so much we don’t know…” Emberglow murmured, and Lady Whispery gave her a glance.

“At least they gave us everything we need,” the Knight Radiant said, and Emberglow nodded. “Now. During your time here in the ruins, we ask that you remain within the Palace, or on the paved streets. It is forbidden for Squires to explore the ruins. I have to emphasize this specifically. Every year we catch one or two young Squires wandering around in the ruins. Sometimes they’re just curious, sometimes they’re looking for a convenient spot for a lewd assignation. These little trips will not be tolerated, and will be punished severely. I won’t have to worry about that with the two of you, will I?” Both of the squires shook their heads. “Good. The ruins were left as they are out of respect for the Diarchs and the Saints, not to provide a playground for immature foals.” Emberglow had to suppress a smile; she felt like she was being scolded by her mother. She could hear some of the other groups of ponies moving up the street through the ruined town as well. It sounded like everypony else was getting a version of the same admonishment.

“Now, here’s what your schedule will look like while you are here. Every morning, you will rise at five thirty for exercise and morning prayers. Breakfast is at seven, followed by instruction in rune magic until noon. After lunch, we will study the history and teachings of Lady Rarity, followed by a free period where you are allowed to choose a subject to study more specialized knowledge. After dinner you will have personal time, until lights out at ten.” The Knight went through the schedule so quickly that Emberglow wondered if she should have taken notes, somehow. “Up until this point, everything you have been taught is common knowledge, shared among Knights, clergy, and lay ponies alike. From here on out, you will be learning the secrets of the Knights, and the secrets of Lady Rarity and the Radiant. These things are not to be shared with anypony outside the order.

“Finally, one last thing. As the only two candidates for the Knights Radiant, you will be sharing a room together. I’ve seen the looks you’ve given each other, and I have to ask. Will you be able to get along well enough to not bicker?”

Astrolabe looked back at Emberglow, her expression a mix of anger and frustration.

“We will do our best, ma’am,” Emberglow spoke up for both of them, and a flash of bitterness crossed over Astrolabe’s face. Emberglow shrugged; what had the other mare wanted her to say?

“Good. I know you are young, but I expect the best behavior of my young squires,” Lady Whispery said, and Emberglow once again got the sense of motherly authority from the mare. There was something odd about the mannerisms, about the way she was moving, that suddenly caught Emberglow’s trained eye.

“Ma’am, can I ask a question?” Emberglow ventured.

“Of course, dear. What do you need to know?”

“Are you carrying one of the Seamstress’ Orphans?” Emberglow asked. While Knights Radiant swore an oath of celibacy, there was a great need throughout the Diarchy for pegasus births. It was incredibly rare. So, pegasi among the Knights Radiant were allowed, if they so chose, to be artificially inseminated by an anonymous pegasus stallion donor, in hopes of producing a rare and valuable pegasus offspring. Of course the Knight couldn’t raise their own child; regardless of whether the foal was an earth pony or pegasus, it was given to surrogate parents to raise. While rare, these foals sometimes referred to themselves as the Seamstress’ Orphans, in honor of their symbolic mother, Saint Rarity herself.

“I am, squire,” Lady Whispery said, sounding impressed. “I didn’t think I was showing yet.”

“It was how you were moving, ma’am. And there’s just something motherly about you,” Emberglow finished the last with a blush of embarrassment. Lady Whispery laughed softly.

“Thank you, squire. I will probably be delivering shortly after the two of you take your oaths.” She paused thoughtfully. “I seem to remember reading something in your file about conventional medical training. It’s quite impressive that you picked out my pregnancy so quickly.” There was no recrimination in her voice for the off-topic question, but Emberglow couldn’t help but feel a little embarrassed for asking such a personal query.

“Yes, ma’am,” Emberglow said, suddenly very wary of the other squire walking in front of her. She was well aware of the jealousy and vitriol that had been directed at her in the Ivy Seminary because of her scholastic achievements, and she didn’t want to give Astrolabe any more reason to lash out at her. From the sour glances she saw from the mare every few seconds, however, Emberglow was sure that ship had already sailed. She tried to content herself by looking out over the forbidden ruins, taking in every detail about the abandoned city that she could.

The buildings around her were beautiful ivory spires, somehow still elegant in their cracked and fallen state. The path the ponies trod was surrounded by elegant mansions, most enclosed by crumbling walls featuring overgrown estates. It was amazing, given how long this city had been abandoned, that the flora had not taken over the entirety of the path.

“Lady Whispery, who maintains the city?” Emberglow asked.

“While all of the Orders claim the city as our sacred home, the Mystics have taken upon themselves responsibility for the city. They take care of the roads, and study the ruins, searching the debris left behind for anything of value, any hint of the Saints and the Diarchs.”

Up ahead, a tremendous and graceful palace emerged on the town’s horizon. Its majestic spires were intact, and even at a distance Emberglow could see that it had been maintained with loving care.

“Canterlot Palace, squires. We are treading in the hoofsteps of the Saints and the Diarchs. You are on holy ground.” The Knight’s voice was reverent as she spoke, and even the other ponies around them had grown soft and solemn. At the same time, though, Emberglow also kept one thought on the front of her mind: the city, this holy place, had been built by the tainted magic of unicorns. It was an unsettling thought, and Emberglow shoved it aside.

As they approached the palace, Emberglow realized that it wasn’t a single building, but a walled complex with dozens of buildings. The wall was nearly six ponies high, and made of alabaster. It was ancient, but clean, and capped with battlements. Towers at regular intervals were topped with conical purple roofs, and Emberglow could see purple armored Mystics patrolling the tops of the walls and lurking behind windows in the towers. The street they were walking on ended in an elaborate gilded gate, bordered by two of the towers and guarded by two armed Mystics.

“That’s a lot of guards,” Astrolabe commented. “They can’t possibly think the palace is going to be attacked, can they?”

“It has been before,” Lady Whispery said enigmatically. Emberglow opened her mouth to ask more, but before she could speak, the shuffling crowd around her came to a halt. The ponies had all reached the gilded gates, and a sort of anticipatory hush fell over the crowd, their conversation dulling to a murmur. They gathered in front of the gates, waiting for something to happen, and Emberglow’s question flew out of her mind in her burgeoning curiosity. The assembled squares all fell completely still when they saw the glow of rune magic as one of the Mystic guards, an older mare, drew in the air with her gauntlet. It was a voice amplification spell.

“All who are here, heed my warning,” her magically enhanced voice boomed out over the crowd. “This place is sacred and secret, hallowed by the Knights who walk its grounds, and by all the Knights who gave their lives in the war against heresy and darkness. Only those who have sworn the oath of the Squire, or the Oath of Knighthood, may enter. All others be damned, and cursed for the next three incarnations. If you enter here, keep these secrets close to your heart and reveal them to nopony. Break this command and be damned, and cursed for the next three incarnations. To those with pure intent, enter, and find learning and rest.” She tapped the butt of her spear twice against the street, and the gates swung inwards. The ponies in front, nearest the gates, hesitated, stepping forward slowly and cautiously. Urged forward by their Knights, the squires finally managed to step inside the outer walls and catch their first real glimpse of the inner courtyard of Canterlot Palace.

The inside was like history frozen in time. The buildings here were ancient but well-repaired, still retaining much of their elegant grandeur. The inner grounds looked like a park, with elegant vine-covered arches, graceful stone bridges over gently bubbling streams and clear ponds covered with lily pads. While the place may have been empty of all ponies but Knights, there were countless other forms of life; birds of all colors, small mammals, and insects darted about the perfect gardens. The paths that cut through the plant and animal life seemed like intrusions into the immaculately curated wildness of the grounds.

“There are several buildings on the grounds,” Lady Whispery told them in a soft voice. “I will show you where you may go. All of the Orders have their own buildings here, and we keep our secrets closely. Trespassing on another Order’s territory is forbidden. If you become lost, find any Knight and they will tell you where you may go. We will first be heading for the Shrine of the Generous, our headquarters here at Canterlot Palace. It’s not as large or impressive as some of the other Orders’ buildings, but I think it’s the most beautiful.” The Knight smirked. “I might be a touch biased, however.”

This close to the Palace itself, Emberglow felt like an ant, dwarfed by the utter majesty of the Diarchs’ home while walking among mortals. It looked like exactly the kind of place the masters of the sun and moon would have once lived; beautiful, extravagant, and graceful, with perfect arches and buttresses. Emberglow’s heart soared at the idea that she would soon be able to walk in those halls, to step in the places where the Saints stood.

The Shrine of the Generous was tucked away in one of the more heavily wooded areas of the ground. The building itself was a flat roof with a garden on top. The grey stone walls were covered with trellises full of emerald green ivy. The double doors in front were small, made of stained wood with painted carvings of Saint Rarity’s cutie mark in front. A Knight Radiant in perfect, immaculate white armor stood on guard in front of the door. The mare on guard nodded and smiled at Lady Whispery as she approached. Lady Whispery returned the greeting, but did not pause to speak as she opened the door and ushered the Saints inside.

“Welcome to the Shrine of the Generous, squires,” Lady Whispery said. The door opened to a small foyer, complete with a cloakroom. Beyond that lay a parlor filled with pillows and couches, a rather cozy looking room with a fireplace and a stuffed bookshelf. To Emberglow, it immediately felt like her room at home; small, cozy, and full of books. She grinned as she looked around the room, and even had to stop herself from trotting forward to read the titles on the books. She knew where she’d be spending lots of her own free time.

The Knight gave the two squires a quick tour of the small facility. On the bottom floor was the entrance, the parlor, and a kitchen with an intimate dining room attached. Upstairs were the bedrooms for the individual Knights who were staying at the Shrine, as well as a bedroom for the two squires. There was also a narrow spiral staircase that led to the roof, with access to the garden that Emberglow had seen from the outside.

“We do all our own cooking,” Lady Whispery said as she showed them the kitchen. “We always have at least one sister assigned to the Shrine to for upkeep and cooking duties for any who wish to find peace here. Once you are a full Sister, you’ll be able to consider this place as your home. You have full use of the parlor, the dining room, the gardens, and the kitchen. Do either of you know how to cook?”

“No ma’am.” Astrolabe and Emberglow both shook their heads. Emberglow could bake a little, thanks to her mother, but she’d mostly focused on her studies as a young foal.

“You will be learning the basics while you’re here,” the Knight proclaimed. “We all take turns cooking. Now, head up to your room and unpack. I will be in the parlor if you need me. Once you’re done, feel free to relax here or come down and meet your future sisters with me in the parlor. And squires? Welcome to Canterlot Palace.” The two squires trotted upstairs and into their sparsely furnished room.

“I knew. I knew you’d be here, with your arrogant, smug, jumped up attitude and your ugly peasant face,” Astrolabe muttered the second the door was closed. She looked miserable.

“I thought you said you could get along?” Emberglow asked softly as she set her bags down on one of the two beds. Inwardly she steeled herself for the argument she felt coming; she felt the sour twist of anger in herself, and she knew it wouldn’t help anything if they were both acting emotionally.

“You said that, not me.” Astrolabe tossed her bags onto the other bed with her back to Emberglow. “Besides, Lady Whispery isn’t here right now.”

“I don’t want to spend the entire time here at war with you, Astrolabe.” Emberglow was trying to remain patient, but it wasn’t easy.

“You can always go home then. I’m sure your peasant parents miss you.” Astrolabe’s voice was saccharine, fakely sweet as if she’d just had a pleasant idea. Emberglow had to bite back a snarl, and counted out at least three deep breaths before responding.

“I’m not going home, Astrolabe. If I can’t convince you to try and get along, can we at least try to ignore each other?” Emberglow asked, trying not to sound like she was pleading. Astrolabe spun and glared at her, mouth open for a retort. Emberglow could see the conflict in her eyes. Suddenly she sighed, sounding weary.

“I don’t think we’ll be able to. Emberglow, I hate you. I hate you so much. You don’t belong here, and you’re the reason my best friend got drummed out of Seminary. You’re so smart and so smug about it, and you’re nothing. Common dirt. How can you think I could ignore that, and set it aside?”

“Maybe because we’re on the same side?”

“Don’t you dare put us on the same level,” Astrolabe breathed, trembling with fury.

“Green Fields made her own bed, Astrolabe.” Emberglow felt the wall of patience she had built slipping as the frustration she felt slipped into her own words. “She was warned. She made her choices, and her consequences were completely out of my hooves. Lady Amaranth was already watching what was going on. If the two of you hadn’t vandalized my dress, she’d be here alongside us.”

“Shut up, would you?” Astrolabe sneered, and let out a shudder. “I’ll... I’ll pretend. For my sake. And for the Order. But you’re going to fail, and you’re going to disappoint us all. Do you know how I know?” Emberglow shook her head wordlessly. “Because you’re nothing. And you’ll always be nothing. I’m better than you. Green Fields is better than you. She’s already back at the Seminary, and when she gets to our level, she’ll show how much better than you she is.”

“I’m sorry we couldn’t work out something better,” Emberglow said sadly. Astrolabe snorted, turning back to her task. “I don’t want to hate you.”

“As if anything you thought mattered to me,” Astrolabe snarled. Emberglow gave up, falling into silence. She quickly emptied the rest of her bags, including her own Book of the Saints, a few personal effects, and her journal and quills, into the hooflocker at the bottom of the bed.

“I’m going down to the parlor,” Emberglow announced to the silent room. Astrolabe grunted and swished her tail angrily, but didn’t turn around. With a shrug, Emberglow turned and left the room, closing the door behind her. Just the mere presence of a physical barrier between her and Astrolabe brought a sense of guilty relief. She did her best to put a smile on and trotted downstairs to the parlor.

“Is Astrolabe coming down?” Lady Whispery asked from where she was reclining on a pile of pillows. There were no other Knights about, but Emberglow could hear the sounds of other ponies moving about the building.

“I don’t know,” Emberglow said softly, trying to keep any hint of distress or animosity out of her voice. Lady Whispery’s eyes narrowed, but she said nothing.

“Oh well. If she needs more time to unwind, I can speak with her in a bit.” Lady Whispery shifted uncomfortably on her pillows, standing up with a grunt of pain. “Sorry. They never tell you about the muscle soreness and discomfort that comes with pregnancy.” Emberglow just nodded as Lady Whispery walked over and pulled a single typewritten sheet off the bookshelf. “So I mentioned that you would have some free time each day to choose your own guided study. There are several other Knights Radiant staying here, and each one is an expert in a different field. You’ll be able to pick your courses of study while you’re here. It’s not just the Radiant that will be teaching you; your mentor, Steadfast Word, sent me a letter. He suggested you may benefit from some of the civics and politics lessons offered by various Mystics and Jubilant.” She passed the sheet over to Emberglow. “This lists some of the specialty teachers and subjects that are available to you.”

Emberglow’s mind lit up with possibilities as her eyes scanned the list. There were all sorts of options; psychiatry, specialized pegasus combat training, shield spells, even things like military tactics. She felt spoiled for choice.

“I don’t have to pick now, do I?”

“No.” Whispery smiled indulgently. “We’ll take some time and talk it over tomorrow."

After a half hour, Astrolabe came down as well. She was all perfect politeness and smiles, and seemed eager as Lady Whispery handed her a copy of the same page. Together, the three of them discussed schedules and class options until Lady Whispery said it was time for dinner. The two squires followed the quiet Knight into the kitchen to help her prepare.

Dinner was a peanut-sauce cucumber and carrot stir fry, seasoned with all sorts of exotic spices from across the sea. Emberglow felt totally comfortable helping out in the small kitchen, and she had to admit that any lack of experience Astrolabe showed, she made up for with an eagerness to learn that surprised Emberglow. The two of them studiously ignored each other as much as possible, communicating only when absolutely necessary.

The dining room was beautiful in its simplicity. The Knights Radiant swore an Oath of Poverty, so their furnishings were an exercise in practicality and stability without extravagance. The table was solid wood, and the dishes were simple and sturdy. While they cooked, the other Radiant stationed at the Shrine had gathered and eagerly awaited their meal.

Dinner was friendly and homey. The other Knights were eager to meet the new squires, and went out of their way to make the squires feel comfortable and welcome. Emberglow felt like even Astrolabe’s chilly presence couldn’t cool the warmth she felt at that moment. She knew the next few months would probably be full of gruelingly difficult study and effort, but knowing that this would be a part of the everyday made even the thought of all that effort appealing.

After dinner came evening prayers, and a devotional prepared by one of the Knights. The squires were strictly warned that the next day would be intense, so it was suggested they turn in early to get as much rest as possible. The two squires cleaned up after dinner and retreated to their bedroom. Emberglow decided to try to reach out a little.

“Good night, Astrolabe,” she said softly just before the other mare turned out the light.

“Shut it,” Astrolabe spat. It hurt, but part of Emberglow was simply glad the conversation was over. She tried not to sigh out loud as she nestled into the warm covers of her bed.

* * * * *

True to her word, Lady Whispery woke the both of them up at five thirty and provided them with jogging sweats. The two mares changed quickly and followed Lady Whispery into the cool clear night.

After the light morning exercise the ponies had a few minutes to shower and change into their robes, and then it was off to breakfast in the palace’s huge, vaulted dining hall. It was the squires' first time in the imposing, mostly empty building. Emberglow couldn’t stop thinking about where she was long enough to enjoy her breakfast. Her imagination went wild; the Diarchs had lived here. Had they eaten meals in this room? Had conversations with servants? Taught lessons to the Saints? A billion questions echoed through her mind.

Their first lesson was a grueling, three hour marathon lesson on healing runes. Lunch was followed with a history and theology lesson taught by Lady Whispery. They read from the Book of the Saints, mostly, but the most interesting part was a disclaimer that came at the end of the lesson:

“Knights represent the best and brightest that ponies have to offer. We are the elite, the greatest, the first and last line of defense against the darkness and evil that fill the world. It is a grave responsibility, and it is only set upon our backs because we are able to bear it. While you are learning here at the Palace you may see and learn things that are disturbing to you, or that challenge your faith in ways you didn’t think you could be challenged. This is a test of your integrity and faith. Stay true to the Saints and you will be fine.” Both of her students asked what she meant, but Lady Whispery simply explained enigmatically that it would become clear over the course of her lessons.

Days turned into weeks, and then into months. Unlike in the Ivy Seminary, there were no large classrooms, merely Knight tutors teaching groups of squires no larger than two or three at a time. One of the most fascinating was Lady Whispery. She wasn’t exaggerating when she spoke about her instruction challenging faith. It was opening Emberglow’s eyes to a number of uncomfortable facts.

The stories in the Book of the Saints were morality tales, presented in a sort of ethical black and white. The good guys were always good, the bad guys were always bad, et cetera. There was no room for nuance or shades of grey. Lady Whispery turned all that on its head.

“The Book of the Saints is first and foremost a religious text, not a historical one,” Lady Whispery told the two squires one day. “Though the events detailed occurred in truth, the stories are presented in a way to teach us lessons first, and remain true to the details of the event second. That is not to say that they are false, or fiction. Merely that we need to be aware of the tone in which the Saints penned their own lessons. There may come a time when you come face to face with evidence or ideas that contradict what is taught in the Book. Remember, regardless of what you learn, the Book of the Saints is the true will of the Diarchs.”

It had taken a few moments for Emberglow to work out exactly what Lady Whispery was implying. Did such evidence even exist? She felt a strange, uncanny sort of discomfort deep inside, perhaps even a premonition. It was as if the Knight Radiant was trying to warn her of something, but didn’t want to even put it into words. It reminded her of her thoughts on the way into the city earlier, about how the entire holy city was built by tainted unicorn magic.

From Lady Whispery they learned not just of the acts of Saint Rarity, but of generations of Knights Radiant throughout the Diarchy. “We have all kinds of mares in our history, from heroes to scoundrels, from cowards to martyrs. Each one is an example to follow or a warning to be heeded. One of the most frightening stories in our history is that of Lady Sweet Breeze and Sir Arctic Breeze. They were twins, and they rose their way through the ranks of their orders until she was Grand Master of the Radiant and he led the Angelic. They were as close as siblings could ever be.

“They teach that nopony saw the betrayal of the Angelic coming. But this is untrue. Lady Sweet Breeze did, because her beloved brother told her everything. She begged him to stop, to move off the path he was trotting down, but he was implacable. She could have warned the other orders what was coming, or even gotten help from some of the other Grand Masters. But she did nothing more than try to convince him to change his mind. She couldn’t bear to see anypony hurt her brother, so she remained silent.

“This is the peril of our Order. Our sin, our weakness,” Lady Whispery taught. “Much like the Angelic, we often think with our hearts, rather than our heads or our faith. Remember, the Book will not lead you astray. The Diarchy may have imperfect ponies leading and guiding it, but at the helm are the Sun and Moon. Stay obedient, and you will never be led astray.”

The story of the fall of the Angelic took a dominant place in several of Lady Whispery’s lessons. The Radiant spoke of it differently than Emberglow was used to. She remembered her religion teachers at the Ivy Seminary speaking of the Day of Hope, the hypothetical fabled day when the Knights Discordant were redeemed and returned to the fold, as at best idle superstition, at worst ignorant heresy. The Radiant viewed it almost as an inevitability, though Lady Whispery was sure to stress that this wasn’t something that they were to speak to other Knights about. Everypony in the Orders had a different view on the subject, and it wasn’t the role of the Radiants to create debate. When Emberglow asked why the Radiants taught these views, however, Lady Whispery was silent.

“You will learn that when you swear your oaths,” she told the two of them mysteriously. Astrolabe shrugged it off, but Emberglow’s curiosity was piqued, and Lady Whispery’s silence was maddening.

* * * * *

A few nights later, as Emberglow slipped into the bedroom to prepare for the night, Astrolabe was there, standing next to the window. She stared out into the palace grounds, her gaze troubled. There was a sheet of folded paper in one hoof.

There was a part of Emberglow, maybe even a healer’s instinct, that wanted to fix whatever was wrong with Astrolabe. She even opened her mouth to say something, but hesitated. Last time she’d tried to share words with Astrolabe, she’d been told to shut up. Regretfully, she closed her mouth again and moved over to her own bed, trying to steel herself for another night of awkward silence with the frustrating mare before Emberglow finally drifted off.

“Um,” Astrolabe whispered, and Emberglow looked up. Astrolabe looked uncomfortable, even angry, and her eyes were fixed on the floor between them. Angrily Astrolabe smashed the paper onto the nightstand between their beds. “I…” That was about all she could manage, shaking her head with frustration.

“This is going to be a long few months if we can’t even talk to each other, Astrolabe.” Emberglow kept her voice low; she didn’t know how much sound carried between the walls of the Shrine of the Generous, but she didn’t want Lady Whispery to overhear and think they were fighting. She paused before she could begin changing, if only to hide the nervous twitch she seemed to get in her hooves whenever Astrolabe tried to speak to her directly.

“Don’t you think I know that?” Astrolabe snarled, blinking tears that Emberglow hadn’t noticed. Emberglow shrugged and waited. “I… I’m sorry.”

“What was that?” Emberglow’s ears jerked towards the other mare, her eyes narrowing with confusion. She was absolutely sure she’d never heard Astrolabe say those words to her.

“I got a letter from Green Fields,” Astrolabe muttered. “She’s moving on to her own squiring, after you got her suspended. She… wanted me to pass on a message.”

“And?”

“She’s sorry, okay?” Astrolabe’s eyes finally met Emberglow’s, and they burned with hurt. Emberglow didn’t quite understand.

“She’s… sorry?”

“Are you deaf?” Astrolabe snorted. She snatched up the letter again and read, her voice twisted with sarcasm. “‘Please tell Miss Emberglow how deeply I regret my actions at the Ivy Seminary. I was cruel and vicious, and I never should have tormented her the way I did. Please pass on my sincerest apologies for destroying her dress, and all the harmful pranks I pulled. And please ask if she would mind if I sent her a letter myself, to say these things to her directly.’” Astrolabe huffed and crammed the letter back down on the table.

“Is that it?” Emberglow asked. Honestly, she didn’t know how to feel about all this. On the one hand, it felt like a win; she’d never expected an apology, so this was a welcome surprise. On the other hand, there was a small, mean part of her, a dark, shriveled, wounded part of her heart that wondered what Green Field’s angle was, or what she stood to gain from making this apology. It hurt to think that way, so she tried to shove it deep down.

“No. She also said…” Astrolabe trailed off. Emberglow waited, watching while Astrolabe’s gaze darted between Emberglow and the letter she’d slammed into the nightstand, before blurting as quickly as she could. “ShesaidIhavetoapologizetoo!”

“Oh,” Emberglow was stunned, and a burning spark of her own anger ignited deep inside that wounded part of her. She clenched her eyes shut as she tried to shove the anger aside, but it slipped out of her mouth before she could stop it. “Do you even mean that? You haven’t changed at all, have you?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Astrolabe challenged, her face flushed with emotion.

“You know what I mean,” Emberglow snarled, surprising herself with her own bubbling fury. The image of the dress spun in her mind, and bitter tears brimmed in her eyes. Her anger congealed into impulsive, acrid words, and she spat them out without thinking. “You’re just a dumb sheep. You’ve never had an original thought in your entire life. You’re a follower, Astrolabe.”

“What do you know, commoner filth?” Astrolabe shrieked.

“Am I wrong?” Emberglow’s heartbeat pounded loudly in her ears. “Everything you did to me was her idea, right? Not yours?” Astrolabe sneered, but didn’t deny it. “You’re like her lapdog, always doing everything Green Fields tells you to.”

As soon as she said it, Emberglow knew she’d gone too far. Astrolabe’s face twisted in a paroxysm of rage. Her hooves trembled as she reached for the closest thing; the letter she’d been holding. She crumpled it into a ball and hurled it at Emberglow with a shriek.

“You can just burn in Tartarus, peasant bitch!” The letter bounced limply off Emberglow’s shoulder, but Astrolabe was already reaching for something else to throw. Emberglow decided it was time to go, darting out of the room and slamming the door shut behind her before Astrolabe could decide to start throwing hooves. She flinched as she heard two thuds of impact as something, probably books, thudded against the door. When Astrolabe didn’t bother to open the door and continue their altercation, however, Emberglow breathed a sigh of relief.

“What was that all about?” Lady Whispery’s stern voice made Emberglow jump so high she almost took flight. With a sheepish glance behind her, she looked into Lady Whispery’s disapproving eyes. “Well?”

“It was my fault, Lady Whispery,” Emberglow admitted reluctantly, panting a bit as she came down from the adrenaline of the fight. “She was trying to apologize, and I—I uh, yelled at her. Escalated things. I shouldn’t have, I’ll go back and…”

“Squire, wait,” Lady Whispery ordered. “If I heard correctly, she’s quite upset. Go cool off. Go for a walk, or something. I’ll speak with you both in the morning at breakfast.”

“But I should…”

“You should follow my instructions, squire. I’ll get your side of the story in the morning.” Lady Whispery’s voice brooked no argument, so with drooping ears and shoulders, Emberglow slunk out of the Shrine of the Generous.

The moon was full and heavy in the starlight sky, and Emberglow found herself thinking of her strange dreams about the mare in the moon. She hadn’t dreamed about the mysterious voice since she came to Old Canterlot, but being out in the night made Emberglow feel at least a glimmer of Her presence.

A gentle moonlight jog didn’t seem like a bad idea at all, suddenly. She set out at an easy pace, moving through the paved trails of the palace grounds, letting all her thoughts slip away. The only things she was aware of were the silvery moonlight and the gentle breeze over her fur.

Emberglow picked her trails at random, paying no attention to the direction she was going. It wasn’t against the rules as long as she stayed on the paved paths, so she allowed herself to wander, revelling in the cool night.

As she ran, she idly wondered what was out there in the city itself. Her gaze drifted upwards to the spires she could see just above the wall, on the other side. What kind of ponies had lived in those spires? What had their lives been like?

Her thoughts floated gently until rather abruptly halting when she stumbled right into another pony with a thud. The pony grunted in pain, and the two of them tumbled onto the ground.

“Emberglow?” came the muffled voice of the pony underneath her.

Emberglow scrambled up. “Lofty?” she yelped. “Oh Saints, I’m so sorry, I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and I ran right into you, I’m so sorry...” She stopped apologizing because Lofty was laughing.

“I’d say I’m surprised, but I’m not,” Lofty snorted, groaning a bit as Emberglow helped him to his hooves. He had on a pair of saddlebags over his squire robes, and he nervously checked them with his hoof as he stood. Emberglow wondered what he had brought outside with him, but he didn’t open the bags to look. “I don’t know why, but I expected to see you tonight.” He paused, then added with a grin, “Well, maybe not in such a dramatic fashion.”

“Um, really?” Emberglow asked, blushing. Lofty chuckled, and shrugged.

“Yeah, I guess.” Lofty scratched at the back of his head, embarrassed. “I know it sounds weird, but it was just a thought I had when I left my room. I knew I’d see you tonight.”

“Uh…”

“Look, um, it’s going to sound really ridiculous when I say this, but bear with me, okay?” Lofty began, his voice nervous. “I… sometimes have weird dreams. Dreams where I talk to the moon. Or, a mare from the moon. I...” Lofty faltered, trailing off awkwardly. “Never mind. It’s silly. I should—”

“You dream about her too?” Emberglow breathed. Lofty’s eyes went wide, and he reached out with one hoof, grabbing Emberglow’s shoulder tightly. There was a desperate sort of glee in his eyes. “The first time was that night. The night you“ — she took a sharp breath — “confessed to me.” He was nodding quickly.

“I thought I was crazy, the first time.” Lofty spoke quickly, almost stumbling over the words. “I even asked Lady Mercy Song. She said it might be…” His voice dropped to the barest breath of a whisper. “You know. Her. The Diarch of the Moon.”

Emberglow’s eyes shot wide. Luna. Even thinking the holy name felt blasphemous. She’d never made the connection.

“You think she’s speaking to us?” Emberglow squeaked, trembling. Lofty nodded silently, his face filled with awe. She should feel terrified. Awed. Insignificant and unworthy. Instead she looked up at the moon and felt…loved.

Accepted.

Comfortable.

“You feel it too?” she whispered. “Like when your mother smiles at you.”

“Oh Saints, no,” Lofty snorted. “I hated my mother.” He looked up at the moon himself. “No, for me it’s more like a sister. Except one that doesn’t hate you and judge everything you do.” His eyes moved to Emberglow, shining with emotion. “Like when you smile at me, Emberglow.”

Emberglow blushed, but couldn’t help but smile. In an instant, all of the hurt, the lingering awkwardness and scars of their falling out, dissolved in the look they shared. Lofty’s own smile was almost as bright as the moon.

“So, was she the one who brought you out tonight?” Emberglow asked, still glowing a bit from his compliment earlier.

Lofty nodded. “You too?”

“I don’t think so.” Emberglow cringed as she remembered what brought her outside. “It was a fight with Astrolabe.”

“Oh. What’d she do this time?” Lofty sighed. Emberglow reddened.

“Doesn’t matter. It was my fault anyways,” she muttered. “What was your dream?”

“She showed me the palace wall, and a crack in the wall. I’ve been coming out here for the past few nights, trying to find the spot she showed me. But in my dream, you were there too,” Lofty said. “I think you had to be out here for me to find it.”

“Lofty, that makes no sense,” Emberglow said, but deep down she doubted. It sounded like dream logic and they were, after all, talking about taking instructions from a mare in their dreams.

“I know. I don’t care. Help me find a crack in the wall, behind some topiary. It should be large enough for us to fit through—“

“Lofty! You’re thinking about going out into the city?” Emberglow gasped, nervously rubbing her hooves together. “You know that’s forbidden.”

“I’d do anything to make Her tears stop, Emberglow,” Lofty said solemnly, and Emberglow’s throat tightened. He was right, and she knew it; she felt the same thing he was expressing every time she heard the sorrow in the mare’s voice. “If She wants me to see something out in the city, I’m going.”

“But still,” Emberglow protested nervously, glancing up at the moon. “I don’t want to get caught.” She hated herself a little for saying that. It felt cowardly. There was a small, usually silent part of her that envied her friend’s boldness.

“You’re coming with me?” Lofty said, his voice teasing.

“I didn’t say that,” Emberglow scowled at him. “But you really should think about this. What happens if they catch us? Do we get kicked out?”

“I don’t think they’d do that,” he scoffed. “Especially not to you. They need every Radiant they can get, right? And we’ll be careful. It’s only a problem if we get caught.” His voice lowered and became more fervent. “Besides, I have to do it for Her. I wish I could explain it, but I can’t.”

She nodded carefully. “I’ll come with you, Lofty.” She glanced up at the moon herself. Wordlessly they began trotting near the wall, scanning for the topiary. The whole time, Emberglow felt a growing coldness of guilt in the pit of her gut. She was breaking the rules! Even though a part of her felt Lofty was right, it still didn’t help the growing discomfort that turned her stomach and made her heart pound.

Emberglow didn’t know what she was looking for, but it wasn’t long before Lofty whooped in victory, pointing at a tall, rounded bush. Sure enough, just barely large enough for the two of them to crawl through on their bellies, was a small crack in the wall.

“Emberglow, if you don’t want to go with me, I understand,” Lofty whispered as he eyed the crack. “But I feel like I have to. If Lady Mercy is right, and I’m really dreaming about Her, I have to see what She wants me to see.”

“I’m coming, Lofty. I want to know, too.” He nodded once, a jerky, nervous movement, and shuffled down onto his belly to squeeze through the crack. She waited for him to pass through, glancing to the right and left on the trail to make sure they weren’t being watched before following after him.

Outside, the ruined city was almost pitch black. The inner grounds were well lit by regular electric lights, but nopony ventured outside at night. Out here, the only light was the faint, silvery moonlight streaming in from between the buildings.

“C’mon,” Lofty whispered, nearly inaudible. “Let’s get out of sight from the wall.” Emberglow glanced up at the top of the wall. There were no patrols yet, but that could change any second. She followed him as the two galloped deeper into the dark ruins.

On the way into Canterlot the ruins had been full of wonder and mystery. Now, shrouded in inky blackness, they were terrifying. Broken spires cast moonlight shadows over shattered cobblestone streets. Tightly packed, broken buildings closed around them claustrophobically. Once they were out of sight of the wall, they moved slowly, picking their way cautiously between the bits of rubble. Emberglow felt herself subconsciously drifting closer to Lofty.

“You’re not scared, are you?” Lofty teased sotto voce. Emberglow scowled at him, an expression he probably missed in the blackness. “You don’t believe the silly stories they tell about the ghosts out here, right?”

“I’m not scared!” Emberglow hissed back. She felt her cheeks flush pinker than usual when she realized how much like a pouty foal she sounded like. “What stories?”

“Oh, right, you spend all your time hanging out with the jerk.” Lofty sighed. “There’s a ghost in these ruins. She wanders about the buildings in a hooded black robe, moaning and crying about her lost love. It’s said she gobbles up squires who wander out of the palace into the ruins.” Lofty’s voice changed as he told the story, taking on a theatrical lilt.

Emberglow laughed, a nervous, high pitched sound that was less amusement and more worried denial. “You don’t expect me to believe that, right? That’s just a ridiculous story they tell to keep squires out of the ruins. There’s no such thing as ghosts.”

“I don’t know,” Lofty teased. “Creepy ruins, moonlight shadows. There could be all sorts of things out there.”

“Well, there’s no such thing as ghosts,” she muttered. “Anyway, do you have any idea where we’re going?”

“I was just going to follow the moon,” Lofty replied cryptically. Emberglow almost smacked him for the nonsensical reply, but looking up at the silvery orb hanging high above them,then back at the twisting streets and alleys ahead, she understood what he meant. There was always one moonlit path just ahead that looked just a little less shadowed, just slightly better lit, or just a touch clearer. The two squires walked close together, nearly brushing up against each other’s sides.

“Wait,” Emberglow said, pointing with one hoof. They were on a street full of ruined shops, complete with broken, unreadable signs and shattered facades. Behind the display window of one shop, broken probably hundreds of years ago, Emberglow saw what looked like the figure of a pony. Both squires ducked, backing into the shadows across the street from the shop.

“Is that a pony?” Lofty whispered. Emberglow narrowed her eyes. It was hard to see, but a beam of moonlight was falling right through the display window on the pony shaped figure.

“No… it’s a ponnequin,” Emberglow said with wonder. “This was a clothing shop of some sort. She moved forward, but Lofty grabbed her.

“Emberglow! You’re gonna go galloping inside the dangerous ruins without looking first just to check out a clothing shop?” In the shadowy night, his face looked at least a little nervous. “I thought you were the one who was nervous about being out here?”

“I’m just getting a closer look,” she shot back, but proceeded more cautiously as she drew closer to the shop.

Even in the shadowy moonlight, Emberglow could tell the shop was whimsically designed. A short staircase, rounded outwards, led to a gaping open doorway that may have once held a wooden door. On either side of the entrance were wide display windows, missing nearly all of their glass. She stepped carefully across the broken cobbles in the street, her eyes stuck on the building.

It was strangely fascinating to her. A thousand years ago, a pony, or maybe even a unicorn, had run this shop. He (or she) had lived their life, sewing dresses and suits, running their business. She wondered about that pony, about their story. What had his hopes and dreams been? His loves and fears? It all felt so mundane and yet so mysterious.

There were more ponnequins inside, toppled and desiccated. Emberglow could see open doorways to more rooms in the back of the store, as well as a rounded staircase reaching up to a balcony high above. She looked back at Lofty.

“C’mon,” she called out. Not waiting for him, she trotted up the stairs into the building itself. Lofty scurried across the street after her. “I don’t suppose you brought something that makes light, did you?”

“In fact, I did,” he said smugly. He reached into his saddlebags and pulled out a rune gauntlet. “We’ve been issued our own, for practice between classes. Here.” He held the apparatus out to Emberglow. “You were always more clever at spellcasting than I was.”

“Thanks,” she said, and put the gauntlet on. Dragging her hoof through the air, she drew the runes for a simple floating light orb. It was a variation of the same simple spell they’d cast together, their very first time casting rune spells with each other back in Sir Sablebeard’s class. An orb of light appeared, floating above Emberglow’s head and bathing the room in pinkish light.

The mysterious shop was, almost disappointingly, empty.

“Why did she want us to come here?” Lofty said, his voice echoing in the empty shop. Emberglow shrugged.

“You’re sure this is where she was leading us?” Emberglow asked. Her voice felt too loud for the room. “What if…” she gulped. “What if we were wrong?” She didn’t want to be wrong about the mare in the moon. She wanted Her to be real, to be the loving, nurturing creature she felt in her dreams.

“We’re not wrong,” Lofty looked around the room. “There’s something here we were meant to see, I’m sure of it.” His gaze fell on one of the ponnequins that appeared to be still standing. “Hm. That one has clothing, still.”

“That’s impossible…” Emberglow began, glancing where he was pointing. Indeed, in the shadows was a figure with a black cloak.

Then, both squires let out a shriek of terror when the figure moved, lifting a black cloth-draped hoof to point at them.

“You don’t belong,” it rasped at them. It’s voice was like silk dragging across gravel, somehow both rough and smooth. “This isn’t your place. You don’t belong.”

The pony was somehow behind them, appearing as if out of the shadows to block the doorway. Emberglow’s eyes shifted to the large, open windows. There was enough space to jump out if they had to, and it was only a few feet’s drop to the ground. Carefully she began edging towards one, and Lofty got the idea and followed.

“Who are you?” he asked.

“I don’t remember,” the dark figure whimpered, its voice echoing soulfully through the mostly quiet shop. “I don’t remember anything.”

“Nothing?” Lofty sounded curious. Emberglow shot him a glare, and he shrugged.

“Nothing. I sold my memories for—“ she trailed off, her voice like the last wisps of a fading wind. “—time. For more time.”

“Time?” Emberglow asked.

“They all died. All but one. I needed more time to find the one that went missing. Why don’t I remember their names?” She sobbed at the last, a desperate, aching sound.

“Why are you here?” Lofty’s voice was getting stronger, more confident. When Emberglow eyed him, and the open window, he simply looked significantly up at the moon, just peeking through the open window into the darkened shop.

“Because I thought she might be here,” the figure said. “I thought I felt her here. Sensed her essence. But it was only a relic, hidden and left behind and forgotten. Like me.”

“Who is she?”

“I don’t remember!” the figure wailed in despair, stomping a hoof in frustration against the floor. “It’s my fault she’s missing—“ The pony collapsed onto the floor, shaking with dry sobs.

“What happened?” Emberglow asked. Her own voice felt hoarse with fear, but she couldn’t help her own growing curiosity. Besides, the figure was frightening, but appeared harmless. “What is your fault?”

“I don’t remember,” the figure repeated. The hood lifted just slightly, and Emberglow felt the fur on her neck stand on edge as she felt the weight of the creature’s gaze. “Who are you? You’re not her. You don’t belong here.”

“I think—“ Lofty began carefully, taking a cautious step towards the hooded figure. “I think I was sent here to meet you. By the mare in the moon. Do you know why?”

“No.” The figure looked up at the moon itself, the mouth of its hood turning towards the open window from its spot on the floor. “Maybe. I need to find her. It’s my fault she disappeared.”

“Is there something I can—“ Lofty corrected himself. “—we can do to help you?” Emberglow heard the empathy in his voice, the longing to resolve this creature’s distress, and she nodded. She felt the same.

“You can find her.” The figure gestured at the shop around them. For an instant, Emberglow thought she caught a glimpse of the pony’s hoof through the cloak it wore; it was far too skinny. “You have to find her!”

“But we don’t know who ‘she’ is,” Lofty reasoned. “Can’t you just give us a hint?”

“I can’t!” it wailed. “I don’t remember!” The figure jerked it’s head upright, the black, shadowy hood staring at them. “I don’t remember anything!” It surged to its hooves, and just then a stray breeze caught the hood of its cloak, pushing it back off the figure’s head. Underneath was a bare skull; no flesh, no fur, no mane, simply desiccated white bone, shining in the moonlight. Black, deep empty eye sockets glowed faintly with a hint of blue light, and atop the thing’s head was a severed stump, where a horn had once been attached. It was all too much for Emberglow; with a yelp of terror, she leaped out the open window, barely able to keep her hooves as she tumbled down to the cobblestones just below. The sharp sounds of hooves on stone told her Lofty was just behind.

The two fled in a panic, galloping as fast as they could from the nightmare pony they’d just seen.

“Did you see the stump?” Emberglow gasped, out of breath and barely staving off panic. Lofty nodded as the two dashed through the streets. “Whatever that was used to be a unicorn, Lofty. A unicorn!”

“I think it was just a ghost of some sort,” he shot back.

“There’s no such thing as ghosts!

“Then what do you call that?” Lofty almost shouted. “It was some sort of walking skeleton pony! I thought those sorts of things only existed in foal’s stories!”

Emberglow knew the kind of stories he was talking about; outlandish fantasies about Knights and other heroes fighting dire monsters in far-off lands. But despite their panicked reaction, the skeleton pony hadn’t felt threatening like the monsters in those stories. Just… sad. Sad, and scared, and helpless.

“I—”

“Stop where you are!” somepony shouted as the two squires were suddenly illuminated by a moving circle of light. Both ponies froze at the authoritative voice, trembling with exertion and not a little terror. There was a clatter of hooves on stone as the source of the light, a flashlight enchantment shining off the rune gauntlet of an armored Knight Mystic, moved closer. Emberglow felt her stomach sink. The stallion shone his light over the two, who flinched and squinted away from the bright light.

“Squires,” he sighed, sounding annoyed. “Of course it was squires.” He turned and called back to an unseen partner. “No need to sound the alarm, Quiescence. Just a pair of troublemakers sneaking out of the palace.” He turned a stern eye on the two, and Emberglow couldn’t help but shrink before him.

“Um—“ she began, but Lofty interrupted her.

“I’m sorry, sir, it was all my fault,” he said in a rush, glancing between Emberglow and the Mystic. The tall stallion raised an eyebrow. Emberglow stared at her friend. “My friend, here, was only coming to get me. It was a stupid dare, see. Some of the other squires in my dorm goaded me, and I let them.” His voice sank with shame.

“Oh?” The Mystic managed to sound both amused and stern, which made Emberglow feel a glimmer of hope. Maybe they wouldn’t be expelled, or jailed, or questioned by the intimidating inquisitors.

“Yes, sir. I’m sorry, sir. My friend heard I was going, and she tried to stop me. Please don’t punish her, sir, just me.”

“Did you see anything out in the ruins?” he asked, leaning close to scrutinize Lofty. Lofty shook his head frantically.

“No sir,” he lied. “We thought we saw something a few times, but it was just a trick of moonlight and shadows, sir.” He injected his voice with just enough hopeful pleading that the Mystic laughed, a short, staccato chuckle. “Wasn’t it?”

“Yes, squire, that’s all it was. There are no ghosts in the ruins,” the Mystic said, rolling his eyes. “You two, follow me. Stay close, and do not wander off.” The Mystic turned, and the two squires fell into step right behind him, sharing nervous glances.

“Sir, what will—“

“Be silent, squire, unless I ask you questions. What is your name?”

“Lofty Tale, sir.”

“And you, mare?” The Mystic’s light enchantment swung over the ruins, sweeping in front of them to light any obstacles in their path.

“E-Emberglow, sir,” she stammered.

“Very well, Emberglow and Lofty Tale. A bet, you say? And your friend simply came to try and stop you?” He snorted. “Is this your first time sneaking outside the walls?”

“And last, sir,” Lofty said, his fearful eyes meeting Emberglow’s. The two shared a nod of agreement.

“And last,” the Mystic laughed harshly. “This is no place for foals, even foals that are almost Knights. Since you’ve been obedient, and you seem frightened enough, I think a warning may suffice this time. But!” he held up a hoof in warning, pausing and looking over his shoulder at the cringing squires. “I know your names, and if either one of you are caught in the city without permission again, the consequences will be severe!”

“Yes, sir. Of course, sir,” Lofty nodded.

The Mystic escorted them back through the gates, remaining stern and silent the entire time. The knowing looks of annoyance they received from the other guards at the gate made Emberglow want to shrink inside herself and hide. Finally they were back inside the well-lit palace grounds.

“Do I need to escort you back to your beds?” the Mystic asked. Emberglow hoped he was just being dramatic.

“N-no, sir,” Emberglow stammered. “We’ll head straight there.”

“Good. I hope to never see you again,” he said finally, before turning back to the gate. With only a glance, Emberglow and Lofty scampered away.

“You lied for me,” she breathed. “You were going to claim fault for both of us.”

“You want to go back and confess the truth?” Lofty snorted. “I don’t know what would happen if we told him what really happened, but I don’t want to find out. Do you?” She shook her head. “I thought not.” He paused, looking Emberglow close in the eye. “I don’t think we should tell anypony anything that just happened, Emberglow. I kinda regret even telling Lady Mercy. Something tells me it could be bad.”

Emberglow nodded. She didn’t know what would happen, but it probably wouldn’t be good. She shuddered when she thought of interrogations by angry Knights Mystic, arrest, expulsion… quickly, she shoved those terrifying ideas out of her head.

Finally, the two split off towards their respective paths, pausing just long enough so that Emberglow could return Lofty’s rune gauntlet to him. Emberglow galloped the rest of the way to the Shrine of the Generous, only stopping right at the door to catch her breath. There was no ceremonial guard outside at this time of night, and Emberglow couldn’t see any lights on inside. Once her breathing had returned to a normal rate, she slipped inside, hoping nopony was awake that she would have to explain herself to.

As silently as she could, she crept upstairs to the room she shared with Astrolabe, carefully pushing the door open with one hoof and peeking inside. In the sliver of moonlight that their window let in, Emberglow could see the shadowy form of the other mare, asleep in her bed. Emberglow silently crept into her own bed, not even bothering to take off her robe for the night.

Emberglow wasn’t surprised that sleep proved elusive. For what felt like hours, her heart was still pounding with terror and adrenaline. What had that creature been? What was it doing here? Did the Mystics know about it? And why did it seem so sad and lonely? There was a part of Emberglow that even felt guilty for panicking and running away like that. She did her best to clear her mind, going through the deep breathing exercises that Lady Mercy Song had taught her. It took a long time, but finally she was able to clear her head and slip into sweet sleep.

* * * * *

Emberglow wasn’t surprised when the dream came. One moment she was laying on her mattress in the Shrine of the Generous, and the next she was laying on a bed made of clouds, looking up at the infinitely vast night sky. The stars twinkled in pinpricks of light that spilled over the canvas above her, like glitter scattered by a careless toddler. The moon seemed so much larger than it was supposed to, and the sky seemed almost too small for it.

“Please tell me what happened,” she said to the moon, then jerked a hoof to her mouth in shock. She’d just asked a question. Of one of the Diarchs. She should be terrified, shaking in her hooves. She should be on her stomach, grovelling in worship. Instead she’d demanded answers to her petty concerns.

The moon didn’t appear too affronted, however. She seemed to bounce a little in the air, making the night sky ripple and the stars swirl around it. Emberglow thought it felt faintly like somepony giggling softly. She suddenly felt a wash of comfort, like her mother tucking her into bed for the night.

“I’m sorry, Emberglow,” the voice floated down around her like a gentle ray of moonlight. “I wish I could have prepared you better.”

“You can hear me?” she wondered. The mare in the moon sometimes seemed to not understand or respond to her questions.

“Sometimes,” the voice said. “Not always. But sometimes I am stronger, and I can hear better.”

“That makes no sense,” Emberglow complained, and the moon bounced a bit again as the voice laughed.

“While you are in this place, I am stronger,” the voice explained, still tinkling slightly with amusement like bells echoing in the distance. “No matter who uses it now, this city used to be mine. If you sleep here, I can hear and respond, sometimes. I promise I will always respond when I can, Emberglow.” She heard a sigh, and the night seemed a little darker. “What you saw tonight was a very old friend of mine. Somepony who is lonely, afraid, and sad, and doesn’t even remember why she is that way, or how she got there.”

“Who is it?” Emberglow asked, eager and curious.

“Somepony who let her guilt outweigh her good sense, I’m afraid. She was obsessed with fixing a mistake, and used a terrifying, dire spell to do so. Now, all that is left is the pitiable, wretched creature you met. An immortal, perhaps, but one without any memories.” Emberglow looked up to see falling stars shooting across the sky, leaving streaks of light like the shimmering trails left behind by tears.

“Oh,” Emberglow whispered, feeling guilty. “We… Lofty and I ran, when we saw what she was. I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing to apologize for, my little pony. I only wanted the two of you to meet her. Someday, perhaps, one of you will be back, to bring her redemption and rest.”

“Who was she?” Emberglow asked again.

“An old friend,” the voice said cryptically. “I owe her a great debt. She helped give me perspective, once. I was fighting with my beloved sister. I was… jealous, bitter, and angry. She helped us see things from each other’s perspectives. To… walk a mile in each other’s horseshoes, so to speak.” She sounded amused. “It took me many years to realize just how valuable that experience was for us.” The voice paused, as if waiting for something, and the silence that fell was pregnant with expectations.

Ember lay back on her cloud, watching the stars whirl playfully through the sky. This was all so much bigger than her, and she still didn’t understand so much. But she knew she had to help Her, if she could. “What do you want me to do, then?”

“I need you to remember this, Emberglow,” the voice whispered. The sky above stopped its whimsical dance, the stars settling back in their places as the voice became serious. “Remember what you saw, and what you heard. All of Equestria is hurting just like that mare is. We’ve forgotten what made us hurt in the first place. You’re a healer, Emberglow. A doctor. We need you to help heal our hurt.”

“I don’t…” Emberglow gasped, suddenly feeling like she was drowning. She didn’t quite understand what she was being asked to do, but it felt enormous. Somehow she was supposed to heal whatever was wrong with the entire nation? “I don’t understand.”

“You don’t need to yet,” the mare cooed soothingly. A warm breeze blew over her, gentle and calming. “You are just one pony, after all. But even long journeys begin with small steps. Finish your training. Become the healer you were always meant to be. Take your vows, but keep your eyes and ears open. Let your stalwart heart and your compassion be your guide, in all you do.”

* * * * *

When Emberglow woke the next morning, Astrolabe was sitting up in bed, staring at her forehooves and her rumpled bedsheets. She didn’t look up at Emberglow, but a twitch of her ears in Emberglow’s direction told her Astrolabe knew she was up.

“I’m sorry,” Astrolabe whispered. The apology still sounded reluctant, and Astrolabe’s hooves kneaded the bed, like an angry cat. “I’ll… t-try harder. To be n-nice.” Emberglow wondered if Lady Whispery had demanded the apology. She glanced over at the nightstand; the letter from Green Fields was back on top. It had been carefully smoothed out after Astrolabe had crumpled it to throw at her.

“Thank you,” Emberglow said. She was at a loss for words. “I’m sorry too.” It came out in a rush. “F-for what I said. About you always doing what Green Fields said.”

“It’s true though, isn’t it?” Astrolabe spat bitterly. “I’m just Green Fields’ little flunky, doing whatever she says.”

“I’m sure you’re more than that…”

“Spare me.” Astrolabe snorted. “Just go. Please? I-I can’t deal with this right now.”

“I’ll see you at breakfast,” Emberglow said as a farewell, quickly rounding up a change of clothes and her toiletries for the bathroom.

Once she was in the shower, she twisted the faucet and let the hot water pour over her face and mane. She tried to let the shower wash away the turmoil of her thoughts, but it wasn’t working. Her mind kept going over the creature she’d seen last night. Logically, she realized she should probably tell somepony. Maybe a Mystic, maybe Lady Whispery. But her heart said no. The creature had startled her when its hood fell back, but Emberglow couldn’t remember feeling any hostility or danger from the mystery creature.

Thinking of the skeleton creature made Emberglow think of what the mare in the moon had said about the mysterious figure, about walking in another pony’s hooves. Guiltily she recalled her own interactions with Astrolabe.

“It was just a dress,” she said out loud, cringing at the pain the words brought. Even telling the lie in a shower, alone, felt blasphemous. “She may have been nasty, but she’s matured since then. A little.” This felt more honest. “She’s scared, and misses her friend.” That bit she wasn’t sure about, but it sounded right. “Saint Rarity, help me please.” She wasn’t sure when her lonely shower monologue had become a prayer, but it felt appropriate. “I want to get along with my future Sister. I don’t want to hate her. Help me understand her, and maybe even forgive her.”

She stepped out of the shower, dressed, and trotted downstairs to the dining room, but when she entered the room, Astrolabe was not there yet. Lady Whispery was all alone, waiting with a plate full of pancakes. She motioned with one hoof, and Emberglow sat down in front of the pancakes, her heart pounding with nervous fear.

A lecture regarding the way she’d argued with Astrolabe was practically guaranteed. Given that Emberglow felt at least partially responsible for the fight escalating the way it did, she felt a sense of guilty dread at the approaching conversation.

Another thought occurred to her. What if Lady Whispery knew something about her sneaking out into the city? What if the nameless Mystic guard had passed on their names to their teachers? She had to suppress a shiver of horror.

“Please, just relax,” Lady Whispery said gently. It was impossible, but Emberglow did her best to pretend. She tried not to shake as she took a bite of breakfast. “I need to talk to you about yesterday.” Emberglow nodded. “Astrolabe told me a bit of your… hm… history together. About how she and her friend hurt you.”

“She… did?” Emberglow asked, rather surprised at the other mare’s honesty.

“I’m not going to judge what happened in the past, Emberglow.” Lady Whispery’s voice sounded tired. “As far as I’m concerned, each of you came to me with a completely clean slate. But you both came with baggage, didn’t you?” She sighed. “I want you two to find a way to get along. But I can’t risk this feud the two of you have driving you out of the Radiant. We need every single pony who’s willing to sign up. So I have to ask: do I have to find seperate rooms for the two of you? Separate training, seperate class time?”

There was a small, petty part of Emberglow that leapt at the idea. Giving up would hurt, but there was something to be said for the peace of mind she’d feel, not having daily reminders of her torment back at the Seminary. She’d have less distractions to completing her studies. But...

“No,” Emberglow said softly. “I can make it work. The fight last night was my fault. She was trying to apologize, and I… reacted poorly.”

“Hmm…” Lady Whispery mused, the hint of a smile on her face. “That’s not how Astrolabe paints the incident. She keeps the blame for herself, said she was being rude and halfhearted in her apology.”

“She… does?” Emberglow was once again surprised. Suddenly she wanted to talk to Astrolabe again. “I…”

“If you don’t need me to switch rooms for you, I’ll respect that.” Lady Whispery interrupted. She sounded pleased. “I expect no more screaming arguments, though. And no throwing things.”

Technically, only Astrolabe had thrown things, but Emberglow wasn’t about to correct the Knight. “Yes, ma’am. Thank you.”

“I’ll leave the situation for you two to handle. If you need me, though, I promise to be an impartial mediator. Please come to me before things get as bad as they did last night, okay?”

“Yes ma’am,” Emberglow replied, more enthusiastically this time. It felt good to have an adult show that much trust in her, to allow her to resolve her own problems. Perhaps it was because she and
Astrolabe were nearly adults, and Knights, themselves, but it was still nice to have her growing maturity acknowledged that way.

A few minutes later, Astrolabe wandered cautiously into the dining room. Lady Whispery rose, offering to put coffee on for the three of them and make a stack of pancakes for Astrolabe. It was clear she was giving them a moment to themselves.

Astrolabe sat at the table, her eyes darting between Emberglow and the door to the kitchen.

“I don’t like you,” she finally announced. Her voice was soft and bland, almost emotionless. It lacked the passion or anger Emberglow would have expected.

“I’ve never understood why,” Emberglow commented. Astrolabe snorted.

“You wouldn’t.” She shook her head. “I don’t understand how Green Fields could change her mind about you so quickly. It makes no sense. But” — she let out a sigh — “for her sake, I can keep the peace.” She rolled her eyes, glancing at Emberglow with a wry expression. “For real, this time.”

“You’re really loyal to her, aren’t you?” Emberglow asked. “It’s kinda surprising.”

“Thanks?” Astrolabe raised an eyebrow. Emberglow blushed.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean that as an insult. I actually find it admirable. I… had a hard time making friends when I was younger.” She gave a weak laugh. “I still do.”

“I’m not going to be your friend,” Astrolabe blurted out, quickly enough to make Emberglow jerk a little.

“No, that’s not what I…”

“I know,” Astrolabe interrupted awkwardly. “This is difficult.”

“Can we start over?” Emberglow offered. “Like, from the beginning? Introduce ourselves, shake hooves, pretend we never met before this?” Astrolabe looked her up and down, and shook her head.

“You would offer that, wouldn’t you?” she said wryly. “How can you not hate me? We planned it together, you know. Messing up your dress. It was just luck that I was in the infirmary when it happened.”

“That makes sense,” Emberglow said. She ignored the surge of anger she felt at the confession. “I don’t want to hate you, Astrolabe. Hate is ugly and leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.”

“But the noble and perfect Emberglow does feel it, right?” Astrolabe’s voice was thick with sarcasm. Emberglow took a deep, calming breath and nodded.

“Yes. I h-hate you, Astrolabe. You and Green Fields tortured me for months. But I don’t want to hate you.”

“At least you can admit it,” Astrolabe said. She took her own deep, calming breath, then held out her hoof. “Start over. Okay. Let’s try it out.”

* * * * *

Dear Emberglow-

Sorry about the short letter. I’ve got very little time. It’s a good news/bad news situation.

The Northern Empire ambassador in Jubilation agreed to pass on letters to the Empire’s ‘Princess’! Finally, we have a line of communication to the leader herself! Things are looking up, and I owe it all to you and your help.

The bad news is, now that there’s a chance for success, my superiors have decided that somepony with a “more eloquent quill than mine” should take over the letter writing part of the diplomatic process. I’m being temporarily reassigned while letters are exchanged with the Empire. I’m disappointed, but they’re asking me to help with a team of Knights hunting pirates on the southeastern coast of the Diarchy. At least I won’t get bored.

Maybe I’ll see if you could get assigned down here once you swear your oaths. Could be fun! I might not be able to write for a while, so work hard and stay safe. The next time I see you will be at your assessment. IF YOU’RE PANICKING ABOUT YOUR ASSESSMENT I ORDER YOU TO STOP IT NOW! You’ll be just fine.

Saints bless and keep you,

Lady Turquoise

Emberglow reread the letter with a smile as she imagined Lady Turquoise on a sailing ship. She wondered, idly, how the Knight would handle life on the seas.

It had been six months since Emberglow had said goodbye to Lady Turquoise, and it had passed like a dream. Unlike graduation day at the Ivy Seminary, the time the squires spent in Old Canterlot would not end with a big ceremony with everypony attending. The squires had assessments scheduled, where they would sit in front of a panel designed to determine if they had met the requirements for Knighthood. Emberglow was nervous, even though Lady Whispery (who was doing just fine on near-total bed rest) and Lady Turquoise, nearly six months ago, had assured her it was nothing to be concerned about.

The assessment took place in the council room where the Council of Five, the leading body of Knights, usually met. The whole process was to take more than two days as each squire was called in individually and assessed. When the day arrived, a trainload of Knights from the city arrived at old Canterlot. They were the Knights who had mentored each of the young squires, here to participate in their assessment. Emberglow spotted Lady Turquoise in the gaggle of rainbow colored robes and waved, but the Knight was too engrossed in a conversation with another pink-robed Jubilant to notice. The Knights disappeared into the palace building itself, leaving the squires in a state of nervous excitement regarding their upcoming transition to full Knighthood.

Just like all the other squires, Emberglow was ready. She’d been preparing for this moment for more than six years; three in medical school, followed by three years in Knight training. She was ready to move on to her Knighthood, to serve Saint Rarity as one of her sworn children.

The squires spent the day of assessment in the palace’s large dining hall. After six months, the awe and wonder of the place had worn off for some, but not for Emberglow. As she watched her fellow squires socialize and relax with each other, part of her wanted to chastise them.

“Familiarity indeed breeds contempt,” she muttered the adage. The squires were all together, so she was standing near Lofty, who overheard her comment.

“What do you mean?” he asked, and she laughed self-consciously.

“This place. We’ve only been here six months, and already we’re laughing and joking. Eating snacks and reading books and sparring. I get that we’re bored, but this place…” she waved a hoof in a wide arch. “This is where the Saints walked, Lofty. The Diarchs.” She pointed at a pair of squires over in the corner, a mare and a stallion who were cuddling and giggling as they flirted. She motioned to another group who were laughing raucously at some joke.

“I get you,” Lofty said. “But what would you do about it? We can’t all be as holy as you, Emberglow.” The last was meant teasingly, but it pricked Emberglow with guilt. Maybe she was being too prideful, too judgmental.

“You’re probably right,” she sighed. “I’m going to find a quiet corner or something to read. Or write in my journal. Or I don’t know. I’m finding it hard to concentrate.”

“You and me both, Emberglow,” Lofty said. “I can’t help but be terrified that I’m going to walk into my assessment and have laid bare every single weakness, every single failing, every imperfection, and have it paraded before me, before finally being driven out of Canterlot Palace with a mob of angry Knights on my hooves.” Emberglow laughed at the extreme scenario, but a small part within her was afraid of exactly the same thing, no matter how irrational it seemed. “At least you get to go before me. They’re going in alphabetical order.”

Emberglow had noticed. Astrolabe’s assessment had come and gone a few minutes ago. The other mare had left the palace with a satisfied smirk on her face, so her assessment had to have gone well. She did pause on her way out of the palace long enough to give Emberglow a polite nod. While things were still tense between them, Astrolabe and Emberglow had established a sort of detached, professional politeness in the past few months that was a huge improvement on anything that had come before.

Every few minutes an armor-wearing Mystic stallion would enter the hall and loudly call another name. Finally, the Mystic called out for Emberglow. Her heart was pounding, thumping in her ears as she followed after the stoic, purple-armored figure. Quickly they walked down empty hallways before finally reaching a pair of huge double doors that reached high into the ceiling.

“These are the chambers of the Council of Five,” the Mystic said to Emberglow, then paused. “It used to be their throne room.” His voice was full of wonder and reverence. There was no question who ‘they’ were. Emberglow stared at the doors. “Go on in.”

“I’m… afraid to touch the doors,” she whispered, starting at her own voice. The Mystic stallion smiled indulgently.

“It’s just fine. They’re waiting for you.”

Hesitantly, Emberglow reached out and laid a hoof on the door. She pushed, and the door swung open slowly. The room was vast, and well lit, with two empty thrones on the far end. The thrones were white and dark blue, respectively. The rest of the room was taken up by a large, oval table with five chairs. One was at the head of the table, just in front of the empty thrones.

In each of the five seats was a pony. Emberglow recognized two of them, Lady Whispery of the Radiant and Lady Turquoise of the Jubilant. Lady Whispery’s chair was different from the others; it reclined, and was covered with soft, velvet pillows. Also sitting at the table was a Knight from each of the other orders. With the exception of Lady Whispery in her robes, the Knights all wore their armor, each one clean and polished and resplendent in the colors of the Saints. The Mystic was young, a stallion with grey eyes and a short cut orange mane. The Adamant was a mare, middle aged and wearing a rainbow-colored patch over one eye. The Vigilant was an ancient stallion. There was a pile of documents spread out in front of each of the Knights.

“We are here to consider the candidacy of Squire Emberglow,” the Mystic intoned, reading off a sheet he held in front of him. “Squire, we have reviewed your paperwork and you have completed your training as a Knight. We’ll begin with your mentor Knight. Lady Turquoise, what say you to this mare joining our ranks?”

“Squire Emberglow is intelligent, resourceful, and strong. She is honest and faithful. During our time together, I found no fault that would keep her from being an asset to us.” Lady Turquoise’s voice was confident and sure, and she smiled at Emberglow as she spoke. Emberglow smiled back, touched.

“Very well. Squire Emberglow, you have proclaimed your intent to join yourself with the Knights Radiant. Lady Whispery, what say the Radiant to this squire joining your ranks?”

“We would be pleased, and proud, to have this mare among us,” Lady Whispery said. “She is talented and brave. The Radiant see no reason why she should not join.”

“Thank you, Lady Whispery,” the Mystic said. “Are there any objections from the other Orders?” The ancient stallion from the Vigilant raised a hoof, and the Mystic motioned for him to proceed.

“Squire Emberglow,” he said, his voice trembling with age. “I read in your history that you spent a great deal of time meeting with a counselor, a therapist, during your time at the Ivy Seminary. Can you elaborate on the circumstances of this, and perhaps explain why we should advance a squire to Knighthood if she displays mental deficiencies?”

Emberglow’s breath caught in her throat. Both Lady Whispery and Lady Turquoise looked at her, their expressions worried and surprised. Emberglow tried to inhale, to get enough breath to speak. What was she supposed to say? What did he want to hear? Nearly paralyzed by fear, she panicked, opening her mouth and beginning to speak. The unadorned truth spilled out.

“I was bullied at the Seminary, because I’m a sponsorship,” she stammered. “It was intense. More than I was prepared for. I ignored them for nearly the entire time. Almost once a week they would break into my room and vandalize my possessions. I had resolved to suffer in silence, and not say anything to anypony. Finally the torment culminated in the destruction of… of…” There was a hitch in her throat, and she struggled to push the words out. “Of something very precious to me. But friends and instructors intervened. One of the students got expelled, and my instructors insisted I speak to a counselor about what had happened, Lady Mercy Song of the Radiant. She said I had been traumatized.” She glanced from face to face at the table watching the eyes and faces of the various Knights. The two who knew her looked worried, the Mystic politely curious, and the Adamant looked bored. The Vigilant, the one who had challenged her, was impossible to read. “I struggled, but I’m here right now.” She didn’t know what else to say.

“The greatest of us did not reach greatness because we experienced nothing but clear skies and smooth sailing,” the aged stallion intoned sagely. “We were battered by storms and by waves, and we’re all the stronger for it. The strong meet their trials with courage. The wise know when to seek help from their allies. You have learned both lessons. I have no objections.” The Mystic opened his mouth to speak, but the Vigilant held up his hoof. “On a personal note, I should like to apologize for the harm caused by my great granddaughter. Her expulsion has been a trial, but she has weathered it admirably, and has learned from her mistakes. You have my apology, and my thanks.”

“You’re…” Emberglow began, but then closed her mouth when the Mystic cleared his throat.

“Thank you, Sir Fields. Any other objections?” He looked at the Adamant mare, but she shook her head. “Very well. Squire Emberglow, we find you worthy to join our number. Please repeat for us the Oath of the Squire.” Emberglow nervously cleared her throat.

“I am a Knight of Equestria. I uphold the Five Exalted Tenants with my life. I protect my fellow Knights from harm. I hold close to my heart the Elements of Harmony: Honesty, Loyalty, Generosity, Kindness, and Joy. I serve the Diarchy, its leaders and its citizens. I keep watch against heresy and corruption. I defend Equestria from enemies outside and within, with my life and breath.”

“Thank you, squire. Lady Whispery, I remit her to your care,” the Mystic finished. Lady Whispery stood slowly, grunting a bit with discomfort. Hurriedly Emberglow rushed over to her side to offer a hoof.

“You okay, ma’am?” Emberglow asked, and Lady Whispery rolled her eyes.

“I’m fine. Thank you, Squire, I’m not as fragile as I look. C’mon, we’re due back at the Shrine for the remainder of your ceremony and assessment.”

“There’s more?” Emberglow asked, and Lady Whispery nodded silently. Emberglow tried to stay close to the Knight without appearing to hover. Regardless of what she said, the pregnant mare could really go into labor at any moment. As a healer, Emberglow felt a duty to be ready to help however and whenever she could. The Knight, however, was silent until they reached the Shrine of the Generous.

To be honest, Emberglow was confused. The assessment had been much easier than she’d built up in her own head, despite being challenged a bit on her mental health. Now, after weeks of anxiety, it was all suddenly over except for whatever mystery would be taking place in the Shrine. She felt an odd sense of both relief and emptiness.

Soon enough they were at the door to the Shrine, and Lady Whispery ushered them inside. Once the door was closed and locked, Lady Whispery spoke again.

“There is one last truth we would share with you before you become our sister, Emberglow. You are commanded to keep this secret, never to speak of it or reveal it to anypony else.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Emberglow said, hushed into reverence by the serious tone in the Knight’s voice.

“You have been taught that sometimes the truth of the Book is not always the same as the truth of history. You hopefully have the wisdom to realize this is no contradiction, though weaker minds would lose their faith and fall away. You also know that only the Diarchs are perfect, incapable of sin or error. So it stands to reason that the Saints were imperfect.”

“Yes,” Emberglow admitted. It may have been logically accurate, but it was sinful in the extreme to even think about. The two of them moved into the parlor, where the couches and cushions had been moved aside, leaving a blank, carpeted floor. Lady Whispery reached out with her rune gauntlet, tracing a complicated pattern of runes in the air. The runes glowed in the air, and a corresponding glow lit up in the floor, shaped like a circle roughly two ponies across. Lady Whispery stepped back, motioning Emberglow back so that neither of them were in the circle. It shined, filling the room with a warm orange glow. Finally a section of carpet on the floor disappeared to reveal a spiral staircase crafted of stone. Glowing runes, the same orange as the one on the floor, illuminated the path downwards.

“Come,” Lady Whispery said softly. “Come and learn of Lady Rarity’s sins.” Emberglow’s mouth went dry. “We remember, not to tear down what she was, but to learn and grow closer to her perfection.” They began down the staircase, Emberglow followed close behind.

“The Book of the Saints is not the only document that survived from the Dark Times,” Lady Whispery began. “Though the remaining texts do agree that Lady Rarity was kind and beautiful, pure and generous, they also speak of a mare with faults. With difficulties. Lady Rarity could be vain. She could be cruel, and she could be greedy. You will not find these facts or these stories in the Book of the Saints, but they are truth. None of these, however, are her greatest fault.”

At the bottom of the stairs was a small chamber, with featureless stone walls and floors. There was no furniture except for a narrow plinth, only three hooves square, rising up to eye level for most ponies. Something spherical rested on the plinth, covered in a white cloth. Surrounding the plinth were the other Knights Radiant staying at the Shrine of the Generous. They remained silent as Lady Whispery continued to speak, though their faces were full of joy and pride as they looked at Emberglow.

“Lady Rarity’s greatest strength, her generous spirit, was also her greatest weakness. Her willingness to see the best in others sometimes blinded her to their faults. She loved without condition and without judgement. When she should have remained vigilant against corruption, she instead made allowances, compromise, and acceptance. This is our challenge. To show compassion without compromise. To love the sinner, but not the sin. The Radiant draws those who share our Saint’s weaknesses, so her struggles become ours.” Lady Whispery moved to stand right next to the plinth. She motioned to the object covered by the cloth.

“This is the last remaining piece of physical evidence of Lady Rarity’s greatest failure. Like all of the Saints, she was aware of the danger unicorns posed. But she failed to act when it mattered most. You see, Lady Rarity’s little sister Sweetie Belle, who she loved dearly, was a unicorn.”

Emberglow’s breath caught in her throat as Lady Whispery slid the cloth off the plinth, revealing a crystal clear spherical orb. Frozen inside was a single unicorn’s horn, cut cleanly at the base. Emberglow gasped. Besides her presence at her brother’s birth, she’d never seen a unicorn’s horn before, and certainly never one that was full grown. It was small, perhaps only a few inches longer than her hoof was wide. Spiraled grooves ran up the horn towards the tip. The appendage itself was a soft purplish pink color. Emberglow was holding her breath.

“This is Sweetie Belle’s horn,” Lady Whispery intoned. “It retains some magic still. It is the most important relic of our order, both a holy connection to Saint Rarity herself and a profane reminder of her sin. We use it very rarely, for it is dangerous.”

“What does it do?” Emberglow whispered, wincing as her own voice echoed in the strange room.

“It is an oracle. We bring new Knights here, to swear their oaths to Lady Rarity and to catch a glimpse of their future. You will experience two visions. One is the same vision we all share. The Day of Hope. The second will be personal, private to you. You are not to share it with anypony.”

“What do I do?” Emberglow asked.

“We here will swear you to our Order, then you will touch the orb. After you have had your vision, we will provide you with the infusion that changes you from an average mortal into a Knight. Your visions will give you strength to withstand your ordeal. Are you ready?

“Okay.” Emberglow gulped, her heart pounding. “I’m ready.”

“Good. Repeat after me. ‘I give my life to the service of Saint Rarity. I walk in her hoofsteps’,” Lady Whispery paused after each phrase, giving Emberglow a chance to speak the words out loud. With each phrase Emberglow spoke, the horn within the orb began to glow with a faint cyan color. Each phrase made the glow brighter, until the entire orb shone.

“I will go where I am needed, and bring healing and light. I will give of my gifts freely, and take no payment, living in holy poverty. I will keep myself untouched, and take no mate nor raise up children. All that I am, all that I have, belongs to the Diarchy and my fellow ponies. My oath is for life.”

As Emberglow finished the oath, the horn within the orb was glowing bright enough to drown out the orange light of the runes on the walls. Emberglow couldn’t take her eyes off the magical glow.

“You are ready. Reach out and see your future.”

Emberglow reached out, mesmerized by the glow. Her hoof brushed up against the crystal of the orb. It was cool to the touch; somehow she’d expected warmth. The blue glow of the horn overtook her entire vision, seeping in at the periphery until all she could see was blue. She couldn’t feel her hooves or her wings any longer; it was as if she were floating in a sea of blue fluff.

“Another pony comes begging for wisdom,” a whispering voice slithered into her mind, slipping between her thoughts and insinuating itself into her brain. “Another neophyte unprepared for the truth.”

“I… what?” Emberglow said. Her voice was muffled, and her thoughts were cloudy.

“Are you the one, little pony?” the voice demanded. The blue light cleared, showing a night sky full of stars. Six bright lights, spread equidistant from each other, grew in brightness in the sky, surrounding the moon. Each one was a different color; pink, red, blue, orange, purple, and magenta. They looked like crystals, and they glowed with magical brilliance. Suddenly the pink crystal disappeared from the others, firing like a shooting star towards Emberglow, while the magenta gem began to shine ever brighter. There was something baleful about the light. “Six there were, now five remains. One rules from the shadows, the others follow blindly. Hope is lost, but the lost can be found. The Sleeper will awaken at the hooves of her children. The Generous will find the lost and restore Hope to Equestria.” The blue light flowed in once again, blocking out the vision.

“But what of you? Oh, what a fascinating aura,” the voice said, and Emberglow wanted to squirm. There was something deeply uncomfortable about the way she felt scrutinized. Once again the blue light cleared away, and Emberglow could see a second vision. Suddenly she could feel air under her wings. She was flying. She looked around, trying to figure out where she was. There were only clouds. She swooped down, trying to land on the clouds below her. At least then she’d be able to poke her head through the white fluff and see what land lay below. As soon as she descended, however, the clouds parted. Below was a tall mountain, beset on all sides by a vicious storm. One of the gems from her vision before, glowing with orange light, sat atop the mountain. “Can you do it? Can you brave the storm? You are the one, if you choose it. You may even find a richness you never thought possible. Stay true, Emberglow. Stay true…”

Suddenly she was falling, tumbling helplessly through the air as she screamed in terror. The orange light from the gem disappeared, and the mountain gaped open underneath her, swallowing her until everything was pitch black. Cold seeped into her bones; a nightmarish, agonizing, biting chill that sucked away her strength and made her limbs stiff. As she fell, she saw a light. It was a baleful, cold blue, and it grew as Emberglow fell towards it.

The coldly glowing figure was shaped like a pony, but not; its muzzle was longer, and it was taller. It’s hooves were bound in chains that faded off into the darkness underneath it, where Emberglow could hear the metallic clanging of some infernal machine.

Suddenly Emberglow’s free-fall came to a halt, and the figure lunged at her, it’s maw full of frozen, icicle-like fangs. They snapped closed right in front of her, and she flinched back in terror.

“Set us loose,” the creature demanded. It spoke with the voice of a thousand whispers, a harsh, dead wind that blew Emberglow back even as it oozed into her ears like ice water. “Set us loose so we can rend you and freeze you and consume you. We will eat you frozen flesh and trample your cities to dust. Set us loose so it can begin.”

“This one is not yours to harm, monster,” a reply thundered through the darkness. Emberglow recognized the voice of the mare in the moon, from her dreams. Was the vision a dream? “She’s made for bigger things…” the voice faded, the creature faded from view, and the blue light filled her eyes again.

Emberglow blinked. The vision was gone. The glow was gone. She lay, crumpled at the bottom of the plinth, while the various Knights Radiant gathered about, watching her carefully.

“Was it… what did I see?” she rasped. Her throat was sore.

“Everypony sees the vision of the gems. ‘The Generous will restore Hope to Equestria’,” Lady Whispery quoted. “The other vision is private. It is not to be shared.” Emberglow nodded, shakily. It wasn’t as if she understood what it meant anyways. “Can you stand?” Emberglow nodded again, rising to her hooves. Two of the other Knights lifted the white cloth back over the orb. A third approached, clutching a small vial in one hoof. “Are you ready for the next step?” Emberglow eyed the vial. The liquid inside was pitch black, with glinting sparkles inside. It looked as if somepony had sprinkled tar with glitter.

“I-I am ready,” Emberglow said shakily, wondering if it were true. She was still thinking of what the voice in her vision had said. What did it mean? What storm was she being warned of? She was the one? She had no time to think more, because the Knight had removed the seal from the top of the glass vial and passed it to Emberglow. Emberglow took it, looking inside. She took a sniff; it smelled musty, like stale bread.

“This holy infusion will fill you with more magic than you have ever experienced,” Lady Whispery said. “It will propel you to physical heights you could not attain on your own. It is permanent. You will be as strong as an unenhanced earth pony, and you will be faster and more enduring than any normal pegasus. The process will be very painful. Some ponies report hearing voices, or seeing images. Pay them no mind; nopony has ever been able to discern a significance to them. Keep your mind on your faith, on Lady Rarity, and on your goals, and you will endure this trial and be all the stronger for it. When you are ready, drink.”

Emberglow didn’t hesitate for a second. Her heart pounded with fear, but in this small, frightening looking vial was everything she’d wanted since she was a foal. This was it. Knighthood. The way she was meant to serve the Diarchy, and Lady Rarity. Maybe this was the storm her vision had warned her of. She upended the bottle and poured the surprisingly fluid potion into her lips. The black substance rolled over her tongue. It tasted vile, of dust and grit and chalk. She had to force herself to swallow, feeling the gritty texture off the potion slipping down her throat.

“Fearless, ain’t ya?” she heard one of the other Knights say, as if from a great distance. Suddenly she realized there was a roaring in her ears, a stuffiness in her hearing and in her head. “It’s okay. Sit down a bit. Lay down if you need to.”

“How long?” Emberglow breathed out, her voice coming in a pained rasp. Her head was beginning to pound, a sharp pain radiating from the center of her forehead. She heard screaming, pained, short gasps of pain and fear. They might have been coming from her. She felt wet all over, as if she'd been dunked in liquid from head to hoof. Suddenly even the gentle orange light was too bright, and she clenched her eyes shut.

“It always seems longer for the pony who’s going through it,” Lady Whispery answered. Emberglow wanted to protest; Lady Whispery hadn’t really answered the question. But the pain had spread now, beginning in her head but pushing its way through her entire body, making speech impossible. Her muscles ached, her bones ached, even her feathers were twitching with sharp tinges of agony. She tried to open her eyes for a brief second, only to be overwhelmed by the brightness. Soon even sound became too much as her senses were overloaded. Desperately she pawed at her ears with her front hooves, trying to shove them shut. The clatter of the glass vial on the stone floor from her hooves sounded like a gong crashing in her ears. She was fairly sure she was whimpering and crying.

Then the voices began, first simple muttering, whispers she couldn’t understand. They grew in volume, a hundred thousand voices overlapping in her head, each one a cacophony of emotion. Anger, terror, pain, but also laughter and ecstasy and embarrassment, every emotion possible running through her ears, and through her head. The pain spiked, and it felt like somepony was driving a spike into her head, just above her eyes.

For a brief moment, there was nothing but pain and sensation. The light reached through her eyelids, the sounds reached through her blocking hooves, and the pain permeated every pore, every capillary, every joint, and even the marrow of her bones.

And then there was nothing. Silence. Blackness. Once again Emberglow was herself; just a poor, tired, aching mare, gasping and whimpering and frothing with sweat on the stone floor of the room. Slowly she lowered her hooves. Somepony was speaking. A gentle voice.

“Mom?” she whimpered, before her brain caught up with where she was and what she was doing. “Lady… Whispery?”

“Emberglow? How do you feel?”

“Uh...” she moaned, letting her eyes slip open just a hair. She could see the Knights all gathered around her now. One of them, probably Lady Whispery, was patiently and gently rubbing the sweat out of her eyes, and off her limbs. The pain was sluicing from her limbs, disappearing just as suddenly as it had come. In an instant, she realized that she felt the difference. She felt the strength in her limbs, and in her wings. Shakily, she stumbled to her feet.

“Yes, that’s how I felt. Kneel, Emberglow,” Lady Whispery ordered. Emberglow complied, rising just enough that she was kneeling on one foreleg. Lady Whispery was carrying a spear, and with the flat part of the blade, reached out and gently touched the center of Emberglow’s forehead. Through her weariness, her heart overflowed with pride and joy. “It is with honor that I proclaim you Lady Emberglow. It is with pleasure that I call you sister. You are one of us now, bound to our sisterhood forever.”

Author's Note:

I know I've said I don't like author's notes, but this one is absolutely necessary.

This chapter was a nightmare (and not the fun kind that turns into best princess when you zap it with rainbow lasers). It is now beautiful and amazing and I owe it all to my miracle worker of an editor, Cyonix. He even wrote parts of the dream sequence late in the chapter. Thank you so much, my friend. You are an absolute gem.

PreviousChapters Next