• Published 17th Jul 2020
  • 989 Views, 76 Comments

Sunbeam - TheMajorTechie



Twilight Sparkle has stepped down. This is how Equestria crumbled.

  • ...
9
 76
 989

Chapters Next
Prologue

"And so, it is with a heavy heart--" Twilight paused, wiping an unseen tear with a hoof. "--that I announce my resignation. It has been a wonderful seventy-plus years that I have ruled, but..." her quiet sniff echoed over the watching populace. "...but I believe I am unfit to rule for any longer."

A collective murmur rose from the ponies beneath the balcony.

"Wait--" Twilight sighed, lowering her head. "Before you begin, I must address why I believe my reign is over; my ascension to the throne was lined with close friends and acquaintances. I do not have the same resolve that my mentor, Princess Celestia, had during her own rule, and it pains me every day to remember the friends that I have lost over this past couple of decades."

The mare raised her head again, tired eyes flitting between the individual faces of the ponies watching her.

"I... honestly don't know what I should say anymore. I won't try to drag things on for any longer. I will leave Starlight Glimmer and Spike as stand-ins for myself until self-rule may be accomplished. I myself will step back from my duties, and simply oversee the transition of power."

Twilight fell silent. An almost peaceful smile began to spread across her face as she began to turn. Soon enough, she had disappeared from view.


Wednesday

So... Princess Twilight stepped down today. She said something about how her friends were gone now, but can't she still make some new friends? Like last week in school, a colt named Whirlwind got into a big fight when he was talking about making a flying machine that can go faster than the old sky-chariots! He cried a little bit after, but he made new friends after that who were a lot nicer to him!

Anyway, my mom and dad were talking about stuff like "stability" earlier today after Twilight said all of that. What do they mean? We live on flat ground and we don't have earthquakes, so what kind of "stable" are they even talking about?

Oh, oh-- and Starlight Glimmer said that she would also take over for a little while too. I think Luster Dawn is taking over Starlight's current job because of that, but I don't remember exactly what the news ponies said.

So yeah. Weird stuff happened today. I still don't really know why Twilight doesn't want to be a princess anymore, but I guess if Starlight wants to be princess for a while instead then she can. Me and my friends like the idea of letting Twilight take a break, but some of the fillies and colts at school said after the announcement that their parents didn't like Equestria without a so-called 'real' princess.

Maybe by next year, they'll learn that Starlight can still be a fun princess, just like Twilight was!

Chapters Next