• Published 8th May 2020
  • 392 Views, 7 Comments

Her One and Only - Valtyra



Satin Sheets has a new house-mate. She's pretty sure she's fallen for her.

  • ...
1
 7
 392

Chapter 1

Satin Sheets liked to believe she was good at being an adult. She held a stable job, paid her rent on time and even had a few friends. What she wasn't good at was speaking her mind.

While her friends had begun to move on with their lives, and find special some-ponies, she had been slowing down. Her thoughts had been invaded by a rather strange addition to her home...


It had started out as a regular weekend for the mare. She began by waking up much later than a twenty-two year old should, spend most of her time having existential dread in her shower, then sit outside on her porch, in the warm sunlight, painting and enjoying some freshly brewed tea.

The mare's brush inched across the canvas as she tried her best to emulate the vines which grew up on her next door neighbour's wall. It was with practiced ease that she used her magical aura to dip her brush in the water while also brushing her pink mane out of her eyes.

Just as Satin levitated her brush around to dip into the dark green blob of paint, her ears flicked at a sharp series of knocks at the front door.

"Drat," she grumbled, placing the pallette and her brush down before climbing off her pillow.

Letting out a sigh, Satin trotted through her bedroom, across the hall, down the stairs and pulled the latch and chain away. Opening the door, she felt the hair in the back of her neck tingle and her ears fold back at the creature in front of her.

"Oh, hello," the being greeted, a warm smile on her face. "Are you Satin Sheets? I've been told that you have a spare room for rent?"

The creature towered over her by at roughly three foot, with the mare herself only reaching up to the bottom of its chest.

It wore a slim black jacket, with a light blue shirt underneath, as well as a pair of blue jeans and some thick footpads. Her auburn hair was brushed over onto one side and was loosely tied into a ponytail that hung down across her front.

Satin backed up a step and despite the worry, nodded. "Uh," she began, rubbing the back of her neck. "I am, sorry. I wasn't expecting anyone..."

"Anyone non-pony?" the woman asked, chuckling. "I understand. My name's Catherine Williams. I was told that the housing department would have sent some mail ahead about a possible viewing?"

"Housing depart... Wait a second," Satin muttered, holding a hoof up and rushing off to the other side of the living room where a stack of wooden drawers stood.

Opening the bottom, she rummaged around and pulled out a crumpled up letter. Returning, she used her magic to tear it open.

"Dear Satin... Holds a job... Is looking to rent..." Satin mumbled as she read over the contents. "I, uh... get a lot of these. No one ever actually turns up though," she said, placing the letter down behind her on her couch. "Just so you know I don't actually own the house. I know the landlord so he leaves all of this up to me."

"Ah, I see. Does that mean the room is still available?" Catherine asked, glancing around the visible living-room with a soft smile.

The living room was decorated with a rustic vibe, despite the outward appearance of the house. Dark oak covered the floor, along with calming light blue walls. Two couches sat in the centre, both of which faced a bulky television, next to which sat a caged up fireplace.

Behind the couches was the stairs up onto the first floor and at the far end of the room, alongside the drawers, stood the darkened exit into the kitchen.

"Oh, yes," Satin affirmed, nodding and moving out of the way. "Please, come in!"

Catherine did that and gingerly entered the building before gesturing to her foot wraps. "Do you want me to take these off?" she asked, unsure.

Looking slightly confused, Satin let out a small hum and shook her head. "No... That's fine," she replied and trotted further into the room. Stopping at the stairs, she gestured around. "This is the living room. I haven't changed it much since moving in."

Satin tapped her hoof on the floor, as Catherine took another glance around, and asked, "Sorry... I don't want to be rude, but what are you? Like, species?"

Catherine turned back to Satin and slid her hands into her jacket pockets. "I'm Human," she replied casually. "I'd have expected everyone to know- considering the chaos it caused with the guards when I got here."

"Chaos?" Satin asked quickly, weary.

Catherine looked rather surprised at the reaction and shrugged. "I fell out of a portal last year. Apparently I landed on some kind of big shot up at the castle. Beanblood or whatev-"

"You were the one that landed on Blueblood?!" Satin gasped, laughing. "Gosh, he wouldn't shut up about that for weeks!"

"You know him?"

"Oh," Satin said, shaking her head. "I don't know him, thankfully. I work at the castle. You'd have thought someone had forced ginger up his tail-hole by the way he was acting."

Catherine rolled her eyes and ran her fingers through her own hair. "Sounds like there's snobs in every universe."

Satin nodded and turned to enter the kitchen. "Yeah, right?" she said, using her magic to flick on the light. "The kitchen in all its cramped glory," she continued. "The fridge is full of my stuff, but I can separate it out to make room for you," she continued, pulling it open to show a packed fridge, then opened the freezer.

"You can use whatever cupboards you'd like. The landlord seemed to install way too many for two tenants," Satin muttered, gesturing to at least six double cupboards which were placed about.

"The cooker is magically operated, and holds enough charge for when I'm not here," she explained, moving out of the way for Catherine to enter.

There was just enough room for the pair to stand inside without brushing up against each other, with the kitchen being longer than wider. It held all the basic amenities, such as a sink, cooker, fridge-freezer and plenty of storage. Like the living room, the wooden floor carried on, though the walls changed into a calming grey.

"It's a little smaller than I imagined," Catherine said, brushing a hand over the surfaces.

"Yeah, I'm not sure why... I guess as long as we're not in here together, it should be fine," Satin replied, giving a slight shrug. "Anyway, let's go up and I can show you the rest of the place."

Catherine entered the bare room and sat down on the bed. She let out a small hum. "It's better than what I have right now," she mumbled to herself.

The room itself was simply rectangular, with a large street-facing window on one side. One pony sized bed sat up against the wall, while a single wardrobe stood alone in the corner.

"Where are you living currently?" Satin asked, standing in the doorway.

Catherine bounced a little on the bed, testing the springs. "The department of housing have me in a small hostel. Been there since I arrived. I can't be too upset though; everyone's been super nice."

"Still, it's good that you're moving on up, right?"

Catherine’s lips curled into a small, reserved smile and she leaned back on the bed while closing her eyes as an awkwardness fell over the pair.

Satin stood there and brushed her hoof against the plush carpet while her ears flicked to and fro, unsure of what to do. "Uh, Catherine?"

"Sorry, sorry!" the woman replied, pulling herself up and showing off a sheepish smile. "I was just taking the room in. Having my own room will be good!"

"I assume the department will be partly paying for rent, right?" Satin asked, receiving a shake of Catherine's head in response.

"I have a job. They offered, but I wasn't raised to accept handouts that could go to others that need it more."

Satin blinked and felt a smile appear. "I see. Well, the rent is three hundred bits a month. That includes everything."

"Only three hundred? That's super cheap?"

"The department subsidises a lot just for signing up to house those in need. It would normally be about seven hundred," the mare explained.

"Well, I'll definitely take the room!" Catherine laughed, grinning.


"Satin?"

Startled, Satin glanced over to the mare who called her name, an earth pony with a pale green coat and an aqua mane, and let out a soft hum. "What's up?" she asked, looking worried.

"Oh, good. You seemed like you were in Cloudsdale for a minute there," the mare giggled as a smirk appeared. "You were thinking about Catherine again, weren't you?"

Satin's eyes widened, then flicked down at the bed which she was preparing. "I- I don't know what you're talking about, Bed," she replied, flustered. "You know she's just a house-mate."

Bed raised a brow as she unfolded some fresh sheets. "Fine, fine," she muttered while Satin kept her eyes on her work of replacing the pillowcases.

'Is it that obvious?' Satin wondered, glancing over to Bed, where she was humming to herself. 'Would Catherine even like mares like me?'

Satin took a second and turned to look over herself, wondering if she'd even be attractive to the human. She could imagine some mare's would like her, what with her slender legs and a nice round rump, but the human had never shown any interest in ponies.

"Hey, Bed?" Satin asked, looking over to her and placing the half-sleeved pillow down. "Where do you get your mane and coat done?"

Bed paused for a second, then smiled. "I'll take you after work. It's on my way home."

"Thanks," Satin replied as a smile appeared on her lips.

Several hours had passed and the pair finally finished cleaning the various rooms throughout the castle. Eventually, they trotted out of the service entrance and made their way down to the main highstreet of Canterlot as the summer sun cast its scorched light across the horizon, covering everything in a warm orange glow.

It was still early enough in the day where the shops were still open and they decided to spend a little time browsing.

"Bed, why are we in here?" Satin mumbled, being pulled over to the back of a clothing store. "Neither of us wear clothes."

"Oh hush. We're not in here for clothes," Bed replied, looking around for a second before grinning and pulling Satin deeper into the back towards the accessory area. "We're here for these!" she said, giggling as she gestured to the long aisle of tail dressings next to them- Accessories designed to bunch and lift the tail slightly, catching the eye.

"Really? You dragged me in here for this?" Satin asked, sighing and turning to walk off before being dragged back.

"Look, I know you'll roll your eyes- yeah, like that-" Bed pointed out, causing Satin to pout. "But something to make your tail pop would go hell of a way to get you Cat."

Satin face-hoofed and groaned. "Look, I don't even know if she's into ponies, let alone mares. She gives off no signals!" she explained, letting out a huff.

Bed hummed and rubbed her chin. "So, does she check anything out when you two are wandering about?" she asked, confused.

"That's the thing," Satin began while she started to pace the aisle, "she doesn't do that, at all."

"Nothing at all?"

"No!" Satin groaned, rubbing her head with a hoof. "I don't understand that human."

"Well, maybe her customs are different? She did say she wasn't from this world, right?" Bed suggested, shrugging. "I think you could try to just, and this might be a shock-" she added, smirking and leaning in. "- just ask her."

Satin rolled her eyes. "You know I can't. If she doesn't like me, it'll ruin everything."

Bed sighed, wandered up to Satin and placed a hoof on her shoulder. "I mean, just ask her what she likes. Hell, she might like Gryphons, but you won't know if you don't ask."

"But how?"

"How what?"

"How do I ask her? It's not exactly a question you can just ask someone," Satin said, then let out a giggle. "Hey, Cat, do you like mares? Oh, how could you tell?! Please take me, Sheets!" she mimed with a poorly done imitation.

"Obviously not like that, dummy!" Bed huffed, moving back and shaking her head. "Just bring it up in casual conversation. Perhaps ask her if she's had her eye on anyone lately."

Satin blinked and tilted her head, tapping her chin. "That's actually not half bad," she mumbled, smiling. "Thanks... but one question?"

"Shoot."

"What's this got to do with tail dressings?"

"Well, before you so rudely went off on a tangent, I imagined that if you wore something that might draw her eye to your tail, it would help," Bed explained, gesturing to the aisle of dressings.

"Oh- oh!" Satin replied, realising what she meant and feeling her cheeks darken. "I guess it wouldn't be too bad if I caught her eye. But isn't that a little risqué?"

Bed smirked and pulled a dressing off the rack. "Maybe you should be a little risqué. It's not like Cat would know, right?"

"No... I doubt she would," Satin said, shrugging and keeping her voice low. "Nothing too revealing, okay? I-I have a little self respect left."

"How about this?" Bed asked, holding up the blue and red silk wrappings to show Satin the model on the packaging. "Her tail isn't too far up and it's not too obvious."

"I don't know," Satin now mumbled, looking unsure.

"Look, just try it on and we can go. The salon won't be open much longer and we'll have to get you looking perfect!"


Satin kicked her door closed with a grunt and let out a long, tired sigh. The trip downtown had taken longer than she had expected and while she loved hanging out with Bed, it was often damaging to her bank account.

Levitating the bags off of her back, she made her way around the couches and past the mirror that Catherine had nailed on the wall just below the staircase.

Stopping, Satin couldn't help but smile at the sight of her mane looking silky smooth, her curls having been ever so straightened, but still leaving a slight bounce which showed with each step.

"Eh, I guess Bed was right," she grumbled then wandered up the stairs to her own room.

Entering, she threw her bags onto her bed and made sure her door was closed and locked, before flicking on her light and closing the curtains.

"Don't want any pegasus seeing this," Satin muttered as she walked over to her bed.

The mare's room was, of course, the larger of the two bedrooms, but not by much. Her bed, covered with star-covered sheets, was kept up against the coldest corner, next to which stood the sliding door out onto her balcony. A plush rug was laid out on the majority of the floor, upon which sat her wardrobe, writing desk and pony-length mirror.

In the opposite corner stood her easel, of which many of her paintings were hanging around the room. Her 'vines' painting was kept on the easel, still half finished from those many months ago.

Looking away from the painting, Satin shook her head and let the contents of the bags fall out; her tail dressing with accessories, and a quad of soft and silky socks.

The mare scrunched her muzzle up at the sight and quickly snapped the tags off. 'I guess I should really see how it looks," she mumbled, walking over to the mirror.

Turning, Satin bunched her tail in her magic, slid it through the tight metal loop which clipped into place around the base of her dock. The loop then came apart into two halves and she slid one half down her dock before tightening it to the end and pulling on a small silky strap to force her dock up into a more risqué angle.

Satin's cheeks darkened and she bit her lip, fighting the urge to fling it off and forget about the whole thing.

"Why did I even want to do this... I don't need a mare. I'm perfectly fine alone. I have my paintings and books," she argued, chewing her lip even as her magic drifted the accessories over- A few knitted flowers and even a miniscule bell.

Grimacing at the very idea of wearing a bell back there, she threw it back in her bed and shrugged upon looking over the green and red flowers which were packaged along with the bell.

"I guess that will be okay," Satin said, clipping the flowers to the dressing.

Suddenly, she let out a startled squeak when she heard the front door open.

'Ah! She's back already?!' Satin thought, scrambling to place the socks at the bottom on her wardrobe and clean the bags away.

"Okay, Satin. You're a grown mare, act natural," she told herself and left her room, cheeks flush.


Finding herself at the top of the stairs, she peered down and watched while Catherine wandered across and into the kitchen with some bags.

Inching her way down, she hesitated for a second and continued her descent, hoping that Catherine wouldn't see her.

Peeking into the kitchen, Satin saw Catherine in her work clothes- white double-buttoned up bakers uniform and black trousers- then peered over as she stocked up her cupboard with various tinned goods.

"Hey, Cat," Satin greeted with a stammer while leaning against the doorframe with a nervous smile. "Good day at work?" she asked, hopeful.

Catherine glanced back while closing the door, then smiled. "Oh, Satin," she replied, folding up the hemp bags and placing them under the sink. "Yeah, it was okay. Spent most of it serving, but at least it went quickly," she added as she moved over to the fridge and retrieving a bottle of cider. "Want one?"

"Oh, no... you know I can't handle it," Satin replied, shaking her head and shrugging.

"Only because you don't drink anything. You'll never get your tolerance up that way," Cat stated, smiling. Though, the smile faded slightly when she noticed the mare hiding partially behind the door frame. "Are you okay? You seem a bit quieter than usual."

"Oh, uh, do I?" Satin asked, glancing down and wincing. "I, uh, actually wanted to get your opinion on something."

Cat blinked, walked over to stand opposite Satin and raised a brow as the mare inched her way out from behind the frame. "Go for it."

"Does this look o-okay?" Satin asked, turning to show off her tail dressing and feeling her cheeks flush considerably.

Cat seemed taken aback, but placed her cider down and pushed off the counter to get a better look. The woman averted her eyes, only slightly, once she moved around enough to see under the tail, but smiled and moved back once she had seen enough. "It looks cute on you," she said, then took a sip. "I've never seen you wear anything; why now?" Cat asked, then smirked as she seemed to piece it together in her head. "It's about a guy, isn't it?"

"A guy?!" Satin squeaked, then quickly shook her head, now embarrassed. "I just wanted to look cute! There's no stallion."

Cat stared at the mare for a second good few seconds, then sighed. "Satin, you don't need anything like that to look cute. You already are," she said, then gesturing to her. "I'm sure anyone would be lucky to have you."

Hearing that, Satin's face quickly darkened as a rosy blush covered it.

Catherine, in the other hand, simply raised a brow at the behaviour and shrugged. "Well... I was just about to make myself some dinner, do you want to join me? I'm sure there's something on television," she asked, taking a swig of her cider.

Satin nodded. "I, uh... yes, please," she replied, smiling wider. "What are you making?"

"Uh, I'm not really sure, but probably something edible," Catherine said, chuckling to herself. "At least I can make something that resembles food now. I've been practicing."

"Don't remind me," Satin said, grimacing and staring off into the distance as she forgot about her embarrassment. "I think I still have nightmares about that pie."

"Oh come on, it wasn't that bad," Catherine laughed as she pushed off the counter and began to rummage around the kitchen.

"It was practically moving," Satin joked, her flush toning down some more.

"Oh, you don't mind if I have some chicken tonight?" Cat asked while crouching down to pull out a pan.

"Nah, go for it," Satin said, backing off and moving into the living room.

She grabbed the remote with her magic and climbed onto the couch, before curling up and turning the Television on. She smiled as the advertisement for the annual Friendship Festival played, and then glanced over to the kitchen.

"Hey, uh, Cat?" Satin asked, hearing the stove click on.

"What's up?"

"What are you doing this weekend?"

"Uh, nothing much," Cat replied, eventually peeking out of the kitchen with her hair pinned up. "Why?"

Satin pawed at the couch and shrugged. "Would you, maybe, like to go to the Friendship Festival... you know, together?" she asked, feeling her heart thump in her breast and her frogs grow damp. "Princess Twilight is hosting it here, this time."

Catherine shrugged. "Sure," she said, moving back into the kitchen. "Maybe we'd even meet the Princess!" she laughed.

"Yeah right," Satin said, sighing. She swallowed and held a hoof to her chest. 'It's not a date- yet,' she thought, closing her eyes to calm herself.

Soon enough, Catherine entered the living room with two plates. One with a serving of vegetable lasagna and the other with a poached chicken breast and salad.

Satin's eyes widened at the sight, then glanced to Cat, who grinned.

"Hey, I said I had been practicing more," Catherine said, placing Satin's plate down on the table in front of them and pulling it closer.

Catherine sat down and sighed as she flicked her feet wraps off. "Finally," she groaned, wiggling her toes and getting comfortable.

"You didn't have to make this," Satin muttered, looking her lasagna over. "Why?"

"Why not? I had the ingredients and it's not like I spend my money on much else," she reasoned while cutting her chicken breast up. "Besides, you can take some to work for the next few days."

Satin stared at Catherine, then looked down at her meat and nodded, her cheeks still rosy. "Yeah, that makes sense," she said, squirming a little and inching closer to Catherine's leg.


"A-And he found out I live with you!" Satin said, before taking a swig of cider which she levitated beside her. "Bluebuck was being a... Well, he wasn't very nice," she grumbled, tapping Catherine's leg with her hoof. "He said you were uncultured... so I told him off!"

"Wait, what? You," Catherine began, gesturing to the pony, "told Blueblood off?"

"Yup!" Satin replied, nodding proudly.

"I don't believe it," Cat said, shaking her head. "You don't even swear."

"I... I can to!" Satin gasped, patting the woman's leg now and leaning closer. "I'm not totally a good filly!"

"Okay then," Cat said, smirking. "Say one."

Satin blinked and chewed her lip, her mind going blank.

"Cant think of anything?" Cat asked, raising a brow, which caused Satin to pout. "It's okay, it happens to everybody."

"You're so mean! I really did tell him off- you can ask Bed!"

"Okay, okay!" Catherine laughed, throwing her hands up. "I believe you. What did he do after?"

Satin huffed, took a sip while looking away. "He complained to my supervisor!"

Cat let out a small hum. "You're not in trouble, right?"

"Nah," Satin replied. "My managers great. He knows what Blueballs is like."

Catherine's eyes widened and she whistled. "Damn. I wasn't expecting that," she said, taking a look at the bottle in the pony's aura. "You've only had half, you lightweight."

"I said I can't handle it," she groaned, hesitantly placing the bottle down in the table and moving closer. Satin stared into Catherine's eyes and said, "I..."

"Yeah?"

"I wanna cuddle! You haven't given me a cuddle in forever!" Satin stared, frowning.

"I gave you one the other day," Catherine retorted, rolling her eyes, looking slightly flustered. Once Satin began to pout, she sighed and gestured for her to lay down. "Fine but only for a bit, okay?"

Satin nodded rapidly and pounced over to lay on her side. She couldn't help but grin when she felt Catherine lay down behind her and slide those arms around her to pull her in.

"Watch the horn this time. You nearly maimed me last time," Catherine whispered, causing Satin to bite her lip.

"Mhm," Satin hummed, snuggling back against the warm human, her eyelids growing heavy while her heart fluttered in her breast. "You're really warm," she whispered, unable to stop smiling.

"I'm glad you're satisfied," Catherine replied, finding Satin's ears flick as her breath washed over them. She took a second to simply smile then held the mare tighter against herself.


Satin's eyes fluttered open and for a moment, the world was a blurry, incoherent mess, but blinking a few times cleared it up to reveal Catherine, on her back, under her.

Her eyes widened and she felt her cheeks explode in a flush upon seeing the woman strewn out under her. 'What the heck happened last night...' she asked herself, then pulled up and looked around the room.

Seeing the plates and a few bottles of cider sitting on the table, it finally clicked.

"Oh."

Switching her attention back over to the woman she was straddling, Satin licked her lips nervously and leaned down to rest her head against Catherine's chest while cuddling her legs against her body.

The light beating of Catherine's heart, the gentle motion of her breathing and the aura of warmth and safety was threatening to pull Satin back into sleeps embrace. Yet, something was pulling at the edge of Satin's memory, reminding her that she had forgotten something import-

"Work!" she cried, pouncing off of Catherine, who let out a grunt at being woken up. "I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!" she muttered over and over as she rushed upstairs to brush her mane then teeth.

Author's Note:

Hey peeps!

I really hoped that you enjoyed this first chapter!

There'll be plenty more coming (while juggling a few stories).

<3

Comments ( 7 )

I see this, instantly I am curious, and then I see the adorable picture and how cute they both look. So, I will read the first chapter once I can, but you spark my interest.

Was a pleasure reading this first :twilightsmile: Glad to see it up!

Interesting. I have to wonder if Cat is the only human or if there are others that managed to fall on other members of royalty.

Definitely need more of these stories

10223452
10223492
10223483
I'm glad to hear it ^^ Thanks for reading the chapter <3

10223488
Heh. Who knows ;)

Definitely a slow romance, it's been 2 years since they even talked.

Login or register to comment