• Published 3rd May 2020
  • 1,039 Views, 80 Comments

Where You Belong - Jhoira



Rainbow Dash meets a stranger, and both their lives change.

  • ...
0
 80
 1,039

Her

Rainbow Dash watched curiously as the creature moved down the side of the tree. At least its eyes did. She watched as the eyes stopped, looking down for a long moment before the creature took another step down, one of her hooves contacting the soft grass, and the magic shielding her from sight faded. Running up the creatures' body it slowly revealed Rainbow Dash's companion. Running up a strange little cleft in the front of its hoof and up its leg, to reveal a tuft of fur about halfway up it. Then up to her barrel. There it revealed the oddest scaled back, with a slightly curled tail with long hair coming off it. Then up the creature's head, filling in the light brown mane around the creature's head, up its ears, and down to a smiling mouth. The last thing to be revealed was the creature's antler coming up from where a unicorn's horn would be.

Rainbow Dash stared for a long moment at the creature, unable to look away. The same amber eyes stared back at her but the rest of the mare was completely novel to Rainbow Dash. She smiled a little bit wider than she should have. She couldn't help it, the mare was exotic, and stunning in a way that Rainbow Dash couldn't put her hoof on. The entire 'she healed me' wasn't hurting Rainbow Dash's feelings for the other mare either. She chortled at herself as she shook her head gently. The kirin tilted her head to the side and Rainbow Dash smiled. "Sorry I was just surprised... You're beautiful."

The Kirin's eyes widened for a long moment. Then she lept back onto the side of the tree, somehow vertically running up the side of the tree as she reactivated the spell that shielded it from sight. Rainbow Dash looking up and seeing the very edge of the mare's tail disappear up into the canopy of the tree. Rainbow Dash scowled at herself, she just had to say that and scare off the pretty mare. Groaning in annoyance Rainbow Dash looked out at the sun setting then up at the tree. "Well, I suppose that we should go to bed... Even though we skipped dinner."

From right in front of where Rainbow Dash had been standing sprung a number of dandelions. Rainbow Dash glanced up at the tree and just barely caught the fleeting sight of the faint glow of magic. She smiled a bit and leaned down, examining the flowers before raising her voice. "So, you have a lot of nature magic then? I don't know many unicorns that can do nature magic. Not that you're a unicorn. But they tend more towards other things. Then again, we ponies in general aren't really forest dwellers. Especially not us pegasi, we live up in the clouds."

She waited for a hum, a laugh, or even a growl but got nothing in response and she sighed gently. "You know, I wasn't trying to scare you. I have a hard time keeping my peace when I want to say something, ok? I mean, you are really beautiful, but I'm not going to try to do anything!" The silence continued and so Rainbow Dash continued to fill the silence with words, for the sake of talking. And because she was actually a little nervous, she didn't want to have offended her hostess. "I mean, I am into mares. But I mean, I don't even know if you are a mare. I mean, you look like a mare, but all your kind could look like that and you could even not actually have a gender. I mean, Twilight told me about a... Uh... A thing that just reproduces by making a copy of itself! If that was true then you'd all be pretty! I mean..." Rainbow Dash had to take a moment to give herself a mental slap to stop herself. "Dang it, Rainbow Dash! Stop saying 'I mean'! Oh, I mean, I mean, you're making yourself look like an idiot here!"

Though Rainbow Dash was upset that she had made herself look rather foolish by repeating the phrase over and over, she wasn't sure if it was her honesty, her list of nonsense, or her berating herself, but it did prompt the kirin's beautiful giggle. Rainbow Dash smiled and sat down, taking a deep breath. "Ok, sorry about that again, but you seem to still be open to talking to me? Well, communicating. We'll see about teaching you some words later, ok?" The silence was deafening before Rainbow Dash smiled widely. "Oh! I think that I should limit myself to yes or no questions shouldn't I?" The hum was obviously a positive. "Ok! Got it!" She grinned as she thought for a long moment.

"Ok, let me ask a few before bed. You thought it was funny when I berated myself?" The giggle was the positive this time and Rainbow Dash snickered. "I have to admit that too. You were... Upset when I called you beautiful?" There was a long pause followed by a quiet growl. "Hm... Not upset, you were... Surprised?" A quiet hum. "You liked listening to my stories earlier, or were you just humoring me?... Of course I did. You liked listening to my stories earlier?" This time the hum wasn't so quiet. "Well, I have more stories for later then! Oh, if this is a touchy subject with your people don't answer, but, are you a mare?" Another hum and Rainbow Dash smiled. Taking a few moments of silence to eat her provided dinner of dandelions, she yawned. "I'm pooped, I'm going to turn in, will you be here in the morning?" A quiet hum. Rainbow Dash started to head in before she stopped, smiling gently. "You liked it when I called you beautiful?" A long pause followed the question, almost long enough for Rainbow Dash to think the kirin wasn't going to answer, then came, almost too quiet to hear, a hum.