• Published 28th Aug 2012
  • 1,134 Views, 12 Comments

The Love Of Shadow And Night - The Story Of The Pony Luna Left Behind - palelordhiphis



The story of the pony Luna left behind

  • ...
2
 12
 1,134

Part 4 - Back On Patrol

"You going out on patrol today?" the pink and blue blur a few feet in front of Shadow asked.

"Why are you here so early?" Shadow asked as he squinted at Bright Eyes as if the pony were some strange creature deposited in front of his door.

"To wake you up and get you moving for the day!" Bright Eyes replied in his ever-chipper voice, "Starswirl said you might need a little extra oomph and that I had plenty to spare!"

"Ah," Shadow replied as he stepped back into his quarters, leaving the door open as an invitation for Bright to follow.

Bright Eyes looked around as he entered, dirty dishes, paper, a half-eaten sandwich of some sort that had long lost any chance of having it's ingredients identified, "Nice place."

Shadow mumbled as he put a pot of water on top of his stove and stoked the embers, "I don't usually have company. The tea will be ready in a bit."

"So," Bright Eyes said as he started clearing a space to sit, "Patrol today? You going to look into the gathering near the Changeling border?"

"Gathering?" Shadow asked.

"You know, there have been reports of changlings gathering near the border in larger numbers for the last couple of weeks," Bright eyes said as he finally took a seat on a newly cleared patch of floor.

"I didn't know," Shadow said, "Do you know if the council thinks they are preparing for war?"

"There are rumors," Bright replied, "but there are many who think it's just the changlings being changlings."

"What do you think?" Shadow asked as he poured hot water over tea leaves in a couple of mugs.

"I think it's exactly the kind of thing you should look into while you're on patrol," Bright replied.

They finished their tea slowly with Bright Eyes making idle chit chat as Shadow kept silent for long periods that would have made anypony else uncomfortable.

"What will you be up to while I'm on patrol," Shadow asked casually.

"Oh," Bright's eyes lit up, "I'll be on patrol with you!"

"I don't take civilians or royalty on my patrol," Shadow replied coldly, "only trained ponies."

"But Princess Celestia said I should go," Bright said.

"Did she?" Shadow asked and then said without waiting for an answer, "Well then, what does it matter to me?"

"That's the spirit!" Bright eyes chirped, "We'll have a great time."

"Patrol is not a walk through a courtyard to have a picnic," Shadow replied, "It is hours of marching, sore hooves, and cold ground to sleep on at night."

"Sounds like an adventure," Bright Eyes replied.

"Sounds like you won't be talked out of it," Shadow said.

"Absatively not," Bright Eyes said through a crooked smirk.

"Fine, but don't slow me down," Shadow told him as he sat his empty mug on the table and walked out of his quarters.

Bright quickly followed him, "This is going to be fun," he said, "just you wait and see."

"Fun," Shadow sighed, "Yes... so much fun..."

Shadow met his troop at the front gate, four sturdy ponies in full armor. He looked them over, turned towards the gate and said, "Lower the gate, Lord Shadow and patrol party on the way out."

His order was echoed several times and then the sound of chains, creaking boards, and turning wheels filled the air as the gate lowered.

"Let's move out," he called back to the armored ponies and strode forward.