• Published 3rd May 2020
  • 2,681 Views, 47 Comments

The Sleepover - Oblivion14



Communication is key in any relationship; But what if one hasn’t even started?

  • ...
5
 47
 2,681

2 I Like Her

Author's Note:

I noticed I have to be careful when I copy/paste from Word; some of the words mush together. Hopefully I found them all this chapter. I should note that I've been writing this to take place after Friendship Games, so Twilight still harbours uncertainty with Midnight Sparkle. Also, I am Canadian so 'ou' exists. Enjoy :)

“This time, the console stays on ma side, and away from you, Rainbow.”

Both Applejack and Rainbow Dash were seated cross-legged on the floor at the foot of Pinkie’s bed. Applejack eyed Rainbow suspiciously and moved the game console away from the centre of the television, and closer to her side. This seemed to not faze the athlete, as she replied confidently.

“That’s fine with me, AJ. That just leaves you with nothing to say when I beat you.”

“Oho! We’ll just see about that!”

Once they started up the game, it wasn’t long before Applejack gained an easy lead. Right before she was about to knock down Rainbow’s character, her left hand shifted awkwardly against the controller and caused her to pinch her hand under the joystick in the same spot as before. Wincing, she let go of the controller long enough for Rainbow Dash to snag the win.

“Yeah! In your face! Who’s awesome? I am!” Rainbow shifted from her seated position to her knees and began to dance in place. Applejack looked at her hand and saw that it was starting to bleed internally. Ah, damn. I don’t wanna seem like a sore loser. I’ll just let her have this one. As she stood up, Pinkie Pie came running into the room stopping in front of the TV, both hands behind her back.

“Girls, you will never guess what I have behind my back. Go on, Guess!” She looked over the faces of everyone in the room, her excitement keeping her from standing completely still. Applejack had raised an eyebrow, and Rainbow Dash had and irritated look, as the excited teenager had unknowingly kicked the console, causing it to freeze. Fluttershy and Twilight had looked up from the board game they had on the bed between them, only slightly curious. Rarity closed the lid of Pinkie’s laptop and turned in the computer chair, a bored look on her face. Unaffected by the lack of enthusiasm, Pinkie continued, taking out a medium sized box from behind her back. The box was decorated with multi-coloured design paper, and a decorative ‘F&F’ logo across the front. “I have, in my hand, the ‘Flim-Flam Ultimate slumber party power box’! Complete with the most epic of games, and the scariest of movies, this box guarantees the best. Sleepover. EVER!”

“That...actually sounds pretty cool. I’m down.” Rainbow replied as she stood up from her spot and stretched slightly before sitting down on the bed next to Fluttershy. “Open up the box and let’s get started.”

Pinkie shook her head and held the box closer to her chest before responding “No, no, no. The epic-ness of this box cannot be contained within this room. We must take this…. to the living room!”

“Oh,” Fluttershy interjected, “um, won’t we be a bother to your family?”

“Oh, don’t worry about that, they’re out of town visiting colleges with Geology programs for Maud this week. Now, everyone has fifteen minutes to change into their pyjamas and meet me downstairs, okay!? READYSETGO!” Before anyone could blink, Pinkie had left her room. After another second, Twilight walked towards the door, only to see Pinkie rush by, fully changed into pink, polka dot pyjama bottoms, and a solid pink tank top with blue and yellow balloons on the front. After another moment of silence, Twilight turned and looked at everyone in the room.

“I still can’t believe it when she does that.” Twilight stated, referring to the party girl’s ability to seemingly defy the laws of physics

“Ugh, tell me about it.” Rainbow replied as she got off the bed. Walking towards the door, she grabbed her bag off the floor before speaking again. “AJ, you might need more than fifteen minutes. Onesies can be very difficult to change into.” Laughing loudly, Rainbow Dash walked out of the room and headed for the bathroom down the hall.

“Hey!” Applejack yelled in the direction of the door, “I told y’all it was to make my aunt happy. It was one time, Rainbow!” Applejack turned her head to Pinkie’s computer table when she heard giggling. She watched as Rarity got up and walked up to her, placing a consoling hand on her arm.

“Don’t worry darling, I thought it was quite endearing.” Letting go, Rarity grabbed her bag by the door before she walked back, opting for the larger bathroom in Pinkie’s room. Not sure what to make of Rarity’s comment, Applejack’s mind began to race as she felt her cheeks heat up. Quickly turning away from Twilight and Fluttershy, the blushing farm girl focused her attention on turning off the television and game console.

--

After changing into lime green pyjamas bottoms, and a matching plain t-shirt, Applejack stepped out of the bathroom in Pinkie’s room. Placing her bag by the head of Pinkie’s bed, she began to walk out of the room, but stopped short when she heard a sound. It was barely audible, and Applejack would have believed she just misheard it, but it happened again, a little louder. It was coming from the floor on the other side of the bed. Walking around cautiously, Applejack looked down and felt her heart drop at the sight in front of her; It was Rarity. She had changed into a purple nightdress, with matching satin shorts, and was sitting cross legged on the floor. Her bedazzled phone between her hands was off as she stared at the screen, tears in her eyes. Stepping closer, Applejack spoke as quietly as she could. “Rarity? Are you alright?”

Even though Applejack was quiet, Rarity still jumped as she became aware of the presence beside her. Looking up, she blinked, realizing the she was staring into the green eyes of her best friend. Quickly looking back down, she took one hand away from her phone, and began to wipe at her eyes before speaking. “Oh, Applejack. I didn't see you there. Um, I'm just texting my sister, telling her that I’m at Pinkie’s.” Rarity made a move to stand but returned to her position when she felt Applejack’s hand on her shoulder. Rarity protested again as Applejack sat down beside her. “Honestly darling, I'm quite alright.”

Applejack didn't say anything. She just looked into Rarity’s watery ceruleans. I might be terrible at lying, but Rarity ain't much better.

It wasn't long before Rarity’s eyes connected with Applejack’s. Try as she might over the years, every time Rarity locked eyes with Applejack, she couldn't keep her thoughts hidden from the girl in front of her. Just like the first time years ago, something within Applejack’s emerald eyes pulled at Rarity’s chest. She found that she now knew the reason for it and had made numerous attempts to squash the feelings every time they surfaced. But now, as she looked into Applejacks eyes, she felt helpless like all the times before. As the tears threatened to flow again, Rarity allowed her body to move closer to her friend, tugging at the bottom of her shirt. Like earlier, she found solace, placing her face into Applejack’s side and letting her tears fall.

Applejack moved her hands automatically. Rubbing small circles on her back, she allowed Rarity to cry. I knew it was something. Based on the look she gave in the studio, I reckon it's her folks. As she thought, she noticed Rarity seemed to tighten her grip around Applejack’s waist and Applejack felt her heart squeeze unpleasantly. Rarity, who normally shined with confidence and radiated beauty, seemed so small and fragile huddled under Applejack’s arms. Although they never laid a hand on their children, Applejack saw the emotional strain their parents put on both Rarity and Sweetie Belle.

After another moment, Rarity loosened her grip. Moving her head to Applejack’s shoulder, she waited a beat before speaking. “I suppose you’ve realized why Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom are at Scootaloo’s.” Applejack nodded and waited for her to continue. “I just called Sweetie Belle to make sure she was alright; She was at home when my parents came back. Scootaloo picked up and said that Sweetie Belle had just fallen asleep. Apparently, she was crying the entire evening. She told me Sweetie got yelled at the moment my parents got home until she decided to leave.” She sighed, shaking her head. “It was undeniably something utterly ridiculous, but they’re so…relentless! Knowing them, they should be gone on another imprudent voyage by tomorrow evening. But still, why must they insist on berating her so!? She’s just a child!” Rarity wiped at her eyes, and Applejack could hear the anger in her voice when she spoke again. “Dammit! I should have been there! I wish there was something—I-I wish I wasn’t…” she trailed off, sighing heavily.

“Hey, hey… ya can’t think like that Rare.” Applejack soothed. “I’m positive that Sweetie Belle knows you’re looking out for her. Ya might think you’re not strong enough, but believe me, I see how you stand up for your sister. You are one of the strongest gals I’ve met. Heck, I reckon even Sweetie’ll say the same thing.” Before Applejack continued, she turned on the spot, making Rarity sit up and turn. Sitting cross-legged and face to face, Applejack took Rarity’s left hand in her right and gave a slight squeeze. “All the same Sugar, just as Sweetie Belle has you to lean on, there’s nothing wrong with having someone for you to lean on as well. Everyone’s gotta let it out sometimes. And like I’ve said; you can always come to me.”

It was another second before Rarity gave a sad smile. Hearing the tenderness in Applejack’s voice not only comforted her greatly, but it also caused her heart to leap in her chest. She wasn’t sure if the tall girl realized it herself, but she never called Rarity ‘Sugarcube’. It was either ‘Rare’ or ‘Sugar’. She had never heard Applejack call anyone else ‘Sugar’ and had allowed herself to hope that it was only her, and that there was affection in her voice every time she said it.

Rarity was suddenly pulled from her train of thought; Applejack had placed her free hand on Rarity’s cheek, wiping away her stray tears as she caressed the ivory skin of her cheek. As soon as she did, Applejack seemed to realize what she was doing. Drawing her hand back quickly, Rarity watched the blush run across her freckled face before she let out an awkward cough. Letting go of Rarity’s hand, she stood up abruptly.

“Uh, we should probably get downstairs. Pinkie may call us any second now.” As if on cue, Pinkie’s voice rang out from the bottom of the staircase.

“Two minutes! Rarity, AJ, Twilight, let’s gooo!” Just as Applejack was about to leave the room, she felt two hands latch on to her left arm. Turning around, she looked at Rarity, who seemed to have composed herself and now had a chide look on her face. Applejack was at a loss as the fashionista slowly trailed her hands down her arm, and Applejack could’ve sworn she felt a burning left in the wake. She abruptly felt a real burning as Rarity took her hand and poked her where the mic stand and controller had pinched her. She tried to pull away, but Rarity kept a firm grip.

“Honestly, Jacqueline,” Rarity huffed. “I could say the same for you. What benefit is there to concealing your injury!? You can obviously come to me with something like this. Come on, I’ll help you put some ice on it.” Applejack blushed again as she realized Rarity had seen her get hurt. So much for not causin a fuss. Having been called by her real name, Applejack knew better than to argue with the small girl in front of her. Following Rarity, they made their way downstairs.

Once Twilight was sure Applejack and Rarity were gone, she let out a breath of air. Opening the door to the hallway bathroom, she stepped out and adjusted her glasses. She was fairly certain they hadn’t noticed when she walked into the room briefly to drop off her bag. She had seen them on the floor holding hands, and quickly felt she was about to interrupt something private. Without thinking, she had run back into the bathroom to hide. Adjusting her purple t-shirt, she tied the string on her purple and pink striped pants, before joining the others downstairs.

--

To say the girls were exhausted would be an understatement. Once everyone had gathered downstairs, Pinkie began the evening with a ‘never have I ever/dare or dare’ combo that resulted in Rarity grabbing a pair of bed slippers from neighbours two doors down, Rainbow Dash baking cookies without any help or instructions, and Twilight playing hide and seek without her glasses. Unlike Fluttershy’s five-minute karaoke rock solo, they found it difficult to find something outrageous enough for Pinkie Pie, but still managed to find her Shakespeare soliloquy entertaining. After grabbing their sleeping bags from upstairs, they wound down the night with what Pinkie declared would be the scariest movie ever to be released. Her claim was true, as Applejack found herself reaching up for her stetson to hide her face, only to remember having to have it replaced with a bonnet. By the time midnight rolled around, everyone was out cold.

It was a couple hours later when Applejack awoke. Her hand was burning. As she blinked in the dark, it took her a moment to remember where she was and what the burning sensation was. Feeling around quietly for the bag of ice Rarity had given her, she sighed slightly, finding the bag now only held warm water. Well damn. Sitting up, her eyes adjusted to the dark, and she could roughly identify the other five sleeping bags between her and the kitchen. Looking at the sleeping bag to her immediate left, she smiled slightly, remembering Rarity was beside her. Shaking her head, she let out the thoughts that were starting to form before standing up. Walking around the back of the couch, she entered the kitchen. Reckon I should keep the lights off in case anybody stirs. Moving by the moonlight through the windows, Applejack quickly dumped the water in her bag down the sink before walking to the refrigerator. Opening the freezer, she found the ice tray, took out some ice cubes, and placed them in the bag.

Closing the freezer door, she retied the bag and headed back for the living room. She was half way across the kitchen when she heard a sound. It was a breathy and quiet sound, and Applejack realized it was coming through a door leading to Pinkie’s dining room on the opposite side of the kitchen. Consarnit, that movie must be getting to me. Now I’m hearin’ all kinds a’ noises! Applejack shook her head at herself and was about to walk when she heard it again. This time, there was a word mixed in with the sound.

“...Rainbow…”

Applejack’s head started to spin. Rainbow? As in Rainbow Dash!? What in the Sam hell…? I must be so tired, I’m hallucinating! Applejack tried to convince herself, but as she looked in the direction of the door, she saw that it was slightly open. Curiosity winning out, she began to walk up to the door, cursing as she reached up for her stetson, only to be greeted with the soft fabric of the bonnet. Land sakes! I need ta get ma hat from the couch when I go back. Applejack thought, trying to distract herself. It wasn’t much help, and she visibly swallowed as she neared the door. The sounds were getting louder as she got closer, but they were still breathy, and she realized it was breathing. Not daring to open the door any further, Applejack moved her face as close as she could and quickly scanned the room.

It was when she looked over at the dining table that she saw them. There, illuminated by the moonlight, Fluttershy was sitting on the far side of the table, her head thrown back. Between her legs stood Rainbow Dash, her head between Fluttershy’s head and shoulder. Fluttershy had one hand on the table, and the other tangled in Rainbow’s hair. Rainbow had placed one hand under Fluttershy’s shirt, and the other was on the table and on top of Fluttershy’s. As the scene unfolding clicked in Applejack’s mind, she stepped back quietly and moved away from the door. In a daze, Applejack backed out of the kitchen, and into the living room. Her mind was blank, but she still managed to stop at the couch and exchange the bonnet on her head for her stetson. Walking back to her sleeping bag, she stepped in and sat down.

What in the world did I just see? I’m dreaming, right? Trying again to convince herself otherwise, she focused on the other five sleeping bags in the dark. Sure enough, one in the middle and the one at the other end of the room were empty. She moved until she was lying face up in her bag, a tight grip on the ice pack in her hand. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash….? She blushed fiercely as the scene recreated itself in her head. She felt conflicting emotions as she thought about it. They were obviously doing something you would do with someone who was more than a friend. They were both girls, yes, but it didn’t seem like either was bothered by that fact. She couldn't see their faces, but she could probably guess that they were enjoying it. Does that mean…. Applejack stopped short when she heard shuffling beside her. Turning her head, she was met with the sleeping face of Rarity as she turned in her sleep. She had a serene look, and Applejack watched as a small, absent smile formed on her face as she dreamed. That, and the scene she had witnessed just before seemed to be too much, and she felt the thoughts that she had been keeping back for years break free.

Immediately, Applejack was met with every interaction she had ever had with Rarity; From their first fight, to the first time she looked into her eyes. Every late-night rendezvous at Canterlot Public Park, and every hug, tug and touch from Rarity. Applejack was well aware that these were the feelings she had been fighting so hard to keep hidden, not even once allowing herself to explore them. As she looked at Rarity’s serene face, she was brought back to earlier that evening. The feelings she had when she saw Rarity alone on the floor. After talking to her, the smile the fashionista had given her was ingrained in her head, along with countless others. Applejack couldn’t help it; She was more than aware that Rarity was beautiful. She recounted the many times where it felt like she had to tear her eyes away when she realized she was staring.

For the longest time, Applejack thought that if she didn’t admit it to herself, she could act like the feelings weren’t real, but as she watched the sleeping face of the girl beside her, she felt the strong desire to hold her and run her hand through the purple curls that were flowing freely on the pillow behind her. For the first time, she let her feelings and her thoughts run its course, and finally reach the conclusion she so desperately tried to fight back for so long. There’s really no use fighting it, I guess. I…I like this girl in front of me. I like Rarity. As she allowed the thought to resonate, she felt her heart and her mind still for a moment with the self-confession. She had never wanted to admit it, not even to herself, but as she watched Rarity, she felt some sense of hope rise within her. Maybe there was a chance. Maybe Rarity might feel the same. Maybe they could be like Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Well, not exactly like them, but

Applejack blushed again, grateful for the night and that Rarity was sleeping. Tearing her eyes away from the girl beside her, she turned towards the wall and allowed both physical and mental exhaustion to consume her.