• Published 2nd May 2020
  • 439 Views, 2 Comments

My Brave Pony: The Heart of the World - Scipio Smith



Twilight and her friends seek out the mysterious Heart of the World, a legendary consciousness with the ability to reach out beyond the stars and communicate with the beings living there.

  • ...
4
 2
 439

A Trail to Follow

A Trail to Follow

The reconciliation of Zecora and her sister was not a part of the ponies’ story. Twilight had helped to bring it about, had – depending on how you chose to interpret things – manipulated events to carry it along, but it wasn’t about her. It was a moment that belonged to the sisters themselves, as much – moreso, given the lack of comparable connection between Twilight, or any of the other ponies really, and the zebras – as the reconciliation of Celestia and Luna had belonged to them.

Which meant that, instead of intruding directly upon the scene, the ponies watched from a discreet distance as the two sisters embraced one another, and began to nuzzle one another with years of suppressed affection.

It wasn’t like they were going to completely ignore it.

Pinkie sniffed, as tears began to form in the corners of her eyes. “They’re… they’re so happy.” She sniffed again. “Does anypony have a tissue?”

“Here you go, Pinkie,” Fluttershy said softly, as she held a handkerchief out on the edge of her wing.

Applejack pushed her hat a little further back on her head. “It sure is about time somethin’ good happened on this trip – no offence, Twilight.”

Twilight smiled shyly. “None taken, I completely understand. After what happened at Cirta I’m glad we were able to do some good instead of leaving chaos and disaster in our wake.”

“Who’s this we?” Rainbow asked, as she fluttered above the heads of the others. “This one’s all on you, Twi.”

Twilight chuckled. “That’s kind of you to say, but I barely did anything. I just-“

“Believed in Zecora and never gave up?” Applejack suggested. “Came up with a plan? That don’t sound like nothing to me?”

“Only you could have done this, darling,” Rarity assured her. “Take the credit for it while you can.”

“The credit belongs to Zecora,” Twilight insisted. “For finally having the courage to trust somebody with her secret. When you trust somepony, and open up your heart to a friend then problems that seemed insurmountable can-“

“Am I supposed to be writing this down for Princess Celestia?” Spike asked.

Twilight couldn’t help but laugh, although she tried to hide it by covering her mouth up with one hoof. “No, Spike, that’s not necessary.”

“But it might not be a bad idea to let the princess know where we are,” Ace suggested. “Especially with what you’ve found out about Sunset Shimmer and Dawn Starfall.”

Twilight frowned. “What have we found out, except that they both passed this way and were never seen again?”

Ace shrugged. “It’s more than her highness knows at present.”

“And I’m sure that Princess Celestia will be glad to know you’re alright, Sugarcube,” Applejack added.

“I suppose you’re right,” Twilight murmured. “Although I don’t relish having to explain what’s happened to us so far.”

“Well nobody said that you had to tell the princess everything,” Rainbow said, landing down on the palace floor with a soft thump. “Just say that we reached this town and that we’re all okay.”

“You could also tell her what we’re going to do next,” Spike said. “Except that would require you to, you know, know what we’re going to do next.”

“Aww, don’t be like that, Spike,” Pinkie cried. “I’m sure that Twilight has it figured out.”

Twilight looked at Pinkie, a wry smile playing across her face. “Everything that’s happened and you still have faith in me?”

“Sure we do,” Pinkie declared. “You’re Twilight Sparkle, and you always come through in a pinch.”

Twilight smiled, but only for a moment. “I want to continue on,” she said. “In spite of Sophoniba’s warnings, in spite of what happened to Dawn and Sunset… I know that they disappeared, but then I knew that from Princess Celestia herself before we even set out on this journey, and while I didn’t know Sunset Shimmer, and I didn’t really want to know Dawn Starfall… the point is that while I’m not going to say that I’m any more talented or intelligent or resourceful than they were, I have something that they didn’t, and that’s you girls. You amazing, loyal, hard-working, generous, kind, fun-loving girls. With you by my side I’m convinced that we can succeed where others failed, if only… but only if you still want to try.”

Rainbow grinned. “Come on, Twilight, are we going to do this every step of the way? We’ve come this far, I want to see what’s waiting at the end of the road. I want a cool story that I can tell Scootaloo when we get back, not ‘and then things were getting kinda tough so we all decided to come back home.’”

Applejack snorted. “I’m not so sure about telling this story to Apple Bloom, but I don’t much care for tucking my tail between my legs and saying I got beaten.”

“I think we’re all rather curious as to what lies at the end of the road,” Rarity added.

“We all understand why you want to go through with this,” Fluttershy said.

“And we’re with you every step of the way!” Pinkie cried.

“Personally I’d rather you did decide to turn back,” Ace said. “But I’m not here to tell you what to do, just try and be there when the trouble starts. I know I haven’t been much help so far, but… you lead the way and I’ll follow best I can.”

“Thank you, all of you,” Twilight said, relief and gratitude mingling in her voice. “Because I… I have an idea as to where we go from here.”

“Of course you do,” Applejack said. “So let’s hear it?”

“Think back to what Sophoniba said, about Sunset Shimmer,” Twilight began.

“Some of us were a little thirsty at the time, Twilight, so why don’t you explain it to us,” Rainbow suggested.

“Well, Sophoniba told us that Sunset arrived ragged and unkempt, after having lost all of her possessions, just like us,” Twilight said. “However, she was able to convince a group of zebras and horses to join her anyway… only they later came back without her. Since Sophoniba said that some of them may still be in the city, I think that we should see them out and find out what they know about where Sunset led them, what happened on the way, and why they left her behind.”

“I think I can answer that last one: on account of they were a bunch of lowlifes looking to get rich quick and easy,” Applejack said.

“I think Applejack might have a point, Twilight,” Ace added, “are we sure we can trust people like this?”

“We don’t have to believe everything they say, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth asking them,” Twilight replied. “Our alternative is to plunge on blindly ahead with no real idea where we’re supposed to be looking… that or see if Sophoniba will let us take a look in her library. Ooh, now that sounds like an idea.”

“Well if you put it like that, looking for lowlifes sounds a lot more fun,” Rainbow muttered.

“Why not both?” Rarity suggested. “Twilight, Spike, Fluttershy and Ace can research in the library, while Rainbow, Applejack, Pinkie and I see if we can find anyone who remembers Sunset Shimmer, or that other pony, what was her name?”

“Dawn,” Twilight said. “Dawn Starfall.”

“We can hear their stories and compare notes with your research when we get back,” Rarity said brightly. “Doesn’t that sound the best use of everyone’s time, darling?”

“Why do I have to spend time in the library?” Ace muttered.

“To keep Twilight safe, obviously,” Rarity informed her.

“Who’s keeping you safe out on the streets?” Ace asked.

“I am,” Applejack and Rainbow Dash said simultaneously.

The two of them looked at one another.

“Okay, we both are, I suppose,” Applejack admitted.

“That sounds like a great idea, Rarity,” Twilight said. “Okay, let’s split up! Good luck, girls… but be careful out there.”