• Published 2nd May 2020
  • 439 Views, 2 Comments

My Brave Pony: The Heart of the World - Scipio Smith



Twilight and her friends seek out the mysterious Heart of the World, a legendary consciousness with the ability to reach out beyond the stars and communicate with the beings living there.

  • ...
4
 2
 439

Tell Your Story

Tell Your Story

The walls of Lady Sophoniba’s throne room were a reddish brown, or at least that was the colour of the brick that could be seen in patches poking through from underneath the blue-green paint that had been daubed over them. Columns of pure and pristine white supported a ceiling of midnight blue decorated with golden stars. From the columns sprouted small, almost free-standing walls or screens, not solid but of a geometric pattern with gaps that could be seen through. Awnings of many coloured cloth hung from the ceiling, offering shade from the sunlight that streamed in through windows of coloured glass – blue and green, orange and red – set high up on the walls. The floor was strewn with cushions, the geometric mosaics obscured by patterned throw rugs, and alcoves in the walls were set out for sitting in comfort. A shallow pool of water lay in a recess of blue tiles set in the middle of the floor. Ornately patterned lamps of hot, fire-like colours sat in the corners of the room, but were unlit being as the sun was up and any shadows were purposefully generated by the décor.

Twilight found that it was strangely cool in here; the air seemed less warm than it had done outside, less dry and less oppressive. Her throat still felt dry, but she didn’t feel as though all the remaining moisture was being leeched out of her by the very air as she had done. Guards lined the room, spears resting upon their shoulders, while servants stood in rigid postures while other zebras and horses – courtiers, presumably – lounged upon the cushions scattered around the great chamber.

Lady Sophoniba sat upon a throne of silver, fashioned in the shape of a miniature elephant upon whose back she sat. A pair of zebras fanned her with broad palm leaves, beating gently up and down as she sat in state, the coloured sunlight falling upon her, glinting off her gold jewellery.

She regarded them keenly as Twilight and her friends and companions shuffled into the throne room. There was no disguising the fact that they were tired and thirsty and hungry. Pinkie and Fluttershy were both panting visibly, and even in the cooler throne room poor Rarity looked as though she was about to faint from the heat. Twilight felt as though she might join her in a minute or two. Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Ace were all faring a little better, being hardier ponies with jobs that kept them out in the sun – and, in Applejack’s case, working pretty darn hard, too – far more than the other three, but only Zecora and Spike seemed to actually be doing well under these conditions.

At least, Zecora was doing as well as could be expected given that she was still bound as a prisoner.

Sophoniba tapped her forehooves together. “Water for our guests,” she commanded. At once a pair of tall zebras sprang forward, carrying in their teeth the handles of a great black urn of iced water, which they hauled across the throne room to place in front of Twilight and her friends.

Twilight looked at Sophoniba expectantly.

“You may drink,” Sophoniba declared graciously.

Twilight bowed her head. “Thank you,” she said gratefully, before she and her friends and companions fell ravenously upon the water that had been placed before them.

Although the ice was melting, it nevertheless kept the water cold, so that when they stuck their snouts into the urn they were cooled beyond measure. They drank their fill, easing their parched throats, watering and cooling them both at the same time.

Twilight drank to assuage her immediate thirst, and then retreated to let her friends, whose need was so much greater than her own, to consume what they would. Besides, she thought that Sophoniba would want to speak to her, and would not brook too great a delay.

Twilight noticed that Zecora was not drinking, nor making any move to do so.

“She will not touch the water,” Sophoniba explained, before Twilight could ask why she wasn’t drinking. “She knows that the gift of sacred hospitality is not extended to her, but only to you. In Quaggai, to extend hospitality to the needy is the duty of a good host, but a guest who trespasses or presumes upon hospitality that has not been extended offends the spirits of the air and water, and will suffer a most cruel fate at their hands… even if the host does not take offence and decide to punish them personally.”

“Zecora-“ Twilight began.

“I do not wish to speak of my sister with you,” Sophoniba said. “Rather, Twilight Sparkle, I would speak of you and your companions. Who are they who travel with you, and who gulp so greedily?”

“They’re only greedy because they’re parched,” Twilight replied defensively. “But my friends names are Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and the dragon’s name is Spike, my assistant and my… my little brother. There is also Sunshine Ray, of Princess Celestia’s Royal Guard.”

“Strange these names sound to our zebra ears, though I imagine they may be more commonplace for you pony folk,” Sophoniba said. “Tell me then, Twilight Sparkle, why do you and your companions seek the Heart of the World? Why are you so foolish as to hazard all upon this madness?”

"Madness?" Twilight repeated. "Don't you believe that the Heart of the World exists?"

"Whether I believe or no is not the issue," Sophoniba replied. "So many of our tales and legends tell of it that I am inclined to think it must have existed, at some point; but as I say, the existence or not of this wondrous thing is not the issue. The issue is that for centuries creatures have been drawn to this promise of power and rule, and so they have searched for it and yet they have found it not, which I am inclined to say suggests that it no longer exists, or it cannot be found, or it no longer wishes to be found."

"Or it simply hasn't been found yet," Twilight suggested.

"Why not?" Sophoniba asked. "And even if not then what makes you think you can do better than those who have come before you. In recent times you are not the first pony to pass this way seeking the Heart."

Twilight's eyes narrowed. "You're talking about Sunset Shimmer and Dawn Starfall?"

"Those were their names," Sophoniba agreed.

Twilight hesitated for a moment. "They were both well-known and well beloved to Princess Celestia, my teacher," she explained. "I would bring back news of them, if I may. If there is anything you know about their fates then, please, tell me, I beg. There has been no word from either since they sought the Heart of the World, and Princess Celestia is sick at heart from grieving them." Although Twilight had a strong hunch that Sunset had made her way – somehow – to New Olympia, there to become adopted by Jupiter, even as Lightning had, there was no way to be sure that it was, in fact, the same Sunset Shimmer. Yes, it didn’t seem likely that there could be a lot of Sunset Shimmer’s who had gone around looking for things that might take them to other worlds but, on the other hoof, if there were eyewitness accounts…

If there were eyewitness accounts of her death…

Well… that… that would be that, wouldn’t it?

Sophoniba leaned forward upon her silver elephant. "A tale I could tell you, Twilight Sparkle, and word I could give you. But if I did would you leave my hall and town and land and return to Equestria to bring these tidings to your princess?"

"Straight away?" Twilight asked.

"Or after you have ate and drank your fill, and recovered your strength, perhaps."

"No," Twilight said softly. "No, I can't just turn away-"

"No," Sophoniba repeated. "Instead you will press on, as they pressed on, and rather than bring back news of Sunset Shimmer or Dawn Starfall you will give your teacher cause to wonder at the fate of Twilight Sparkle in her turn as you, too, disappear into the southern sands. Madness, I name it, for madness it can only be which drives so many noble creatures to ignoble ends. You wish for news? You wish for tidings? Very well, I will give you news. I was little more than a foal when Sunset Shimmer arrived at my gate. She was alone, a ragged figure much like yourself; she admitted, through gritted teeth, that she had been robbed while she slept. Yet she was proud, as proud as I can only imagine the Emperor of our Grevyian neighbour is, and her pride was the only thing of which she had not been robbed upon the journey here. She spoke well, and made lavish promises of the favours that she would do for us once she came into her power if only we would help her."

"And did you?" Twilight asked. "Help her?"

"No more than hospitality required of us," Sophoniba replied. "My councillors felt no need of her promises, to say nothing of their doubts that she would ever have the power to make good upon them. We gave her food and water, allowed her to stay for a few nights and recover her strength, and sent her on her way."

"I see," Twilight murmured. "And that is the last you heard of her?"

"Not quite," Sophoniba admitted. "Sunset Shimmer's promises fell on deaf ears here in our palace, but before she took her leave of Utica she plied her tongue amidst the lower quarters of the town. She must have spoken well, for she left accompanied by a crew of mercenaries and ne'er do wells, zebras and horses willing to take a desperate chance upon a better life. Not all of them returned, and those that did return did so without Sunset Shimmer."

"Do you know what happened?" Twilight demanded. "Or at least, can I speak to them?"

"You may, if they yet dwell in the city," Sophoniba said. "I confess, we did not question them ourselves. It was assumed that they had found the hardships of the journey too great and abandoned their leader."

"That might be what happened, but I'd still like to find out for myself," Twilight replied.

"Of course," Sophoniba agreed. "In your place I might wish the same."

"Did Dawn Starfall speak to them, when she came?" Twilight asked.

"Dawn Starfall arrived in company, just as you do, but in a better state of provision," Sophoniba explained. "She did not require hospitality, but asked an audience that she might seek news of Sunset Shimmer. I told her what I told you, and very likely she did speak to Sunset's retinue, although I know not what passed between them. Shortly thereafter she set out, with her own companions, and then… lost to the wastes. Is that not sufficient? Have you not heard enough now? Your princess grieves, you say; she is sick at heart, you say, for the unknown fate of her two pupils. Will, then, you not turn back? Will you not go home, and tell Princess Celestia whose fame has spread so far that the ponies she mourns for lost their lives in pursuit of a dream? Will you not turn away, before a similar fate awaits you?"

"I…" Twilight glanced back towards her friends. I might ask my friends to do so, but- "I cannot."

"Why not?" Sophoniba demanded. "What drives you on? What power compels you? I have the power to bar your course, to have you all bound and led northwards under guard until you reach the frontier of your own land, and I have half a mind at least to exercise that power if you will not give me answer. Why? Why risk so much, knowing the folly of it?"

"For… for love," Twilight admitted, hanging her head a little. "There… there was a stallion, he… he came into my life so suddenly, like a…" she chuckled. "Like a lightning bolt from a clear sky. He… he wasn't perfect, far from it, but he was gallant and… and he had a kind heart underneath his armour, or at least I thought he did. He saved my life. And then… and then he was gone, just as suddenly as he'd arrived. I don't know if he's alive or dead but… I have to find him; I have to try, at least, I won't be able to rest until I do. And that… that's why I can't turn back."

Sophoniba was silent for a moment. "For love," she murmured. "Yes, that I can understand. Love will make us do things strange and terrible. Which is why I give my sister chance to speak in her defence. Have you aught to say, Zecora? Have you words for year dear sister? Will you not cry for my pardon, with explanation for your action? Will you not explain your crime, before you run out of time?"

Zecora's gaze flickered towards her sister, but then she looked away again, and yet said nothing.

Sophoniba scowled. "To your own silence then fall foul, your trespass I will not allow. You pony guests are welcome here, and may rest and enjoy good cheer; but take this traitor a dungeon cell, and there let her endure a spell."

Pinkie bounced up and down on one of the beds that lined the walls of their spacious and interconnected guest rooms. The rooms to which Sophoniba's servants had conveyed them were large, if largely bare. Aside from the beds there were only a few geometrically patterned tapestries obscuring certain parts of the yellow stone walls, and one or two potted palm plants adding a touch of green. Other than that there wasn't much to the room, not that anypony minded the fact: they had rooms, with four walls and a ceiling over their heads and soft beds with blue silk sheets, and that was more than enough for any of them after the privations they had endured since fleeing Cirta.

This was a place where they could rest, where they could shelter from the heat of the sun, where they could take their ease and not worry about danger – well, where only Zecora needed to worry about danger. But Twilight, though the fate of their friend was at the forefront of her mind, was not going to rebuke anypony for breathing a sigh of relief. They had all been through so much lately; they had earned a period of untroubled peace.

There were two rooms, each with four beds, with an interconnecting doorway separated only by a lime green curtain between them, but not everyone had gathered in the one room. Pinkie was bouncing up and down on the bed; Applejack was dozing upon her bed, with her hat covering her eyes as she lay on her back with her legs crossed; Spike was chewing on some gems that the zebras of Utica had kindly provided for him; Rainbow Dash was having a push-up competition with Ace.

Twilight stood on the balcony, looking out across the city of Utica, all the streets and houses, the bazaars and the taverns spread out below her, the gleaming golden spires of the minarets and the painted roofs of the pagodas and all the creatures milling about below.

"It's quite a sight, isn't it?" Fluttershy asked, as she approached to stand by Twilight's side upon the balcony. "So many different creatures here."

"I suppose," Twilight murmured. "I can't say I've been paying too much attention."

"Because your mind is on Zecora?" Fluttershy asked delicately.

Twilight hung her head in dismay. "This is my fault, Fluttershy. Zecora's in trouble because of me."

"You didn't know that this would happen," Fluttershy told her.

"I knew that something bad would happen if she came back here," Twilight said. "I knew that even coming back to this part of the world was risky, but I asked her to do it anyway." She rested her head upon the warm stone of the balcony rail. "Oh, Fluttershy, what am I going to do?"

"Well you're not going to accomplish anything moping about, darling," Rarity said, her hooves tapping lightly upon the floor as she, too, walked out onto the balcony. The breeze the kissed the cheeks of Twilight Sparkle wafted through Rarity's mane, making her blue curls dance nimbly.

"Um, Rarity," Fluttershy said softly. "That wasn't very nice."

"Come now, Fluttershy, you know I'm right," Rarity declared. "Twilight Sparkle, did you best Discord with this kind of attitude?"

"I beat Discord because you were all with me," Twilight reminded her.

"We're all here for you now," Fluttershy reminded Twilight in her turn.

"Yes, but this isn't a problem we can solve with the Elements of Harmony," Twilight replied.

"Even before we got around to using the Elements, you'd already saved each of us," Rarity insisted. "Because you're Twilight Sparkle and you never give up."

Twilight sighed. "Maybe that's the problem?" she suggested. "I wouldn't… I can't give upon Lightning and Krysta, and because of that… because of that I've led you here, through hardship that might not be finished yet, and I've led Zecora into peril and-"

"And you'll get her out of peril again," Rarity said. Her tone softened, as she put one hoof gently atop Twilight's own. "I know why you feel this way, darling, I do understand. Things haven't gone as well as we might have hoped-"

"You think?" Twilight demanded.

"But we're still here!" Rarity cried. "We're still here and we're still with you ever step of the way until the end. Not in spite of your determination but because of it." She paused, a soft smile playing upon her face. "You really do love him, don't you?"

Twilight hesitated. "Yes," she said. "But-"

"Shh shh shh, I'm not finished yet, darling," Rarity said, and although her tone held some mild reproach, the smile remained upon her face. "There is nothing to be ashamed of, not at all, in being in love; especially not to a strong, handsome stallion who loves you in his turn. When he came to me for proper attire for the Grand Galloping Gala I thought that there was something there, at least on his side. Do you think he fell in love with you for your looks alone?" Rarity shook her head. "No, it was that drive without which you would not be Twilight Sparkle that drew him to you, at least in part, I'm sure. In the same way that it draws all of us, and has done ever since you ventured into the Everfree Forest in search of the Elements." Rarity paused. "There are times when I wonder if I haven't set myself an impossible task in conquering the world of fashion; there are times when I fear that my ambitions outstrip my ability, and I should lower my sights to something more manageable: to being a moderately successful provincial dressmaker. But then I think of you and I tell myself 'there's a mare who'll never give up' and so I can't give up either. You inspire me, darling, and I'm sure I'm not the only one."

"You're not," Fluttershy said, from the other side of Twilight. "You're so brave, Twilight, and you manage to make dealing with people seem so easy, even when I'm sure it isn't for you. But you don't let that stop you, and although I can't really say that you make me brave, you make me want to be a little braver than I am."

"Girls, I," Twilight hesitated, because what could she do, really, after that, but endeavour to live up to the high praise that had been showered upon her? "Thank you," she said. "Thank you both."

"For what, darling?" Rarity asked innocently.

Twilight smiled at her, and at Fluttershy, before she went to the door leading out of the guest rooms. Her horn flared lavender as she opened the door to see a servant standing upon it.

"I'd like to see Lady Sophoniba," Twilight said. "About her sister."

Lady Sophoniba’s private quarters were decorated in a soft orange, with blue rugs lying upon the floor and soft silks descending all about the bed, while lamps of coloured glass in spiralling, twisting and exotic shapes littered the available floor space, most serving no function but to look decorative.

Sophoniba herself sat on the bed, being fanned by a servant with a palm. She had a book open in front of her, and was looking down at it rather than at Twilight.

“Twilight Sparkle, my guest,” she said quietly. “What do you wish?”

Twilight couldn’t help but ask, “You’re patronising me when you talk in prose, aren’t you?”

“Do you feel patronised or do you feel accommodated?”

“A… little of both.”

“Well, then,” Sophoniba said, as if to suggest that Twilight should stop complaining. “Do you read Daring Do?”

“Uh, yes,” Twilight replied. “Although I’m surprised to find out that you do.”

Sophoniba smiled. “I find them excellent stories. The traders know to bring me a copy of any fresh release, if they wish to continue enjoying the privilege of trading here in Utica. It is a small thing, to win my favour, and they are happy to oblige.” She sighed. “There was a time when I dreamed of travelling, exploring, seeing the world. I fear it is something I will only do in books.”

“Because of your responsibilities?”

“Indeed. I am not so fortunate as to be able to leave my home and travel so far chasing a dream. I envy you the freedom.”

“I wish I didn’t have to do this,” Twilight said softly.

Sophoniba looked up at her. “I can understand that, too.” She closed her book. “What can I do for you?”

“I’d like… I’d like to talk about Zecora,” Twilight said softly.

Sophoniba’s whole body stiffened. “Leave us,” she commanded her attendant, who ceased fanning her at once, bowed so low that his snout touched the ground, and scampered out. The curtain covering the doorway fell down over it.

Sophoniba glared at Twilight. Her gaze was cold, and hard. “Zecora,” she said sharply. “You risk much by disturbing me with that name.”

“Zecora risked much to bring us to safety here in Utica,” Twilight replied. “Making a fuss on her behalf… is the least I can do.”

Sophoniba was silent for a moment. “She is fortunate to have found such friends as you.”

“Friends she was fortunate in wouldn’t have put her in this position,” Twilight said softly.

“So long as you get her out of it, the fact that it was you who got her into it in the first place will not matter,” Sophoniba said.

“Can I get her out of it?” Twilight said. “Will you… can you tell me what it is that she’s supposed to have done in the first place?”

Sophoniba climbed off the bed, and turned her back on Twilight as she wandered towards a window with geometrically patterned veins separated the glass into small panes of many colours.

"I am the younger sister, that you knew," Sophoniba said.

Twilight nodded, for all that Sophoniba couldn't see it. "You called her your elder sister."

"Indeed," Sophoniba replied. "I was the second born, and she the first. She is a few years older than I am. Zecora was the elder, the firstborn daughter of the lord and lady of Utica… and of course she was expected to inherit the rule of this city, and in time take up our father's seat on the Council of the Hundred that rules over Quaggai."

Twilight's eyes widened. "Zecora… is so nobly born?"

Sophoniba looked back at Twilight. "She never told you this?"

Twilight shook her head. "That she was a lady, almost a princess? No," she said. "Zecora… doesn't speak about her past." Or we are not such good friends to her as we should have been.

"Perhaps she is ashamed," Sophoniba suggested, a touch of bitterness entering her tone. "She should be ashamed."

"Do you hate her?" Twilight asked. "For what she did to you?"

"Hate her?" Sophoniba cried. "Hate my sister? Hate Zecora? No! No, I do not hate her. I… I could not hate her, I… I…"

"You love her," Twilight murmured. "That's why it stings so much."

"Sting is too mild a word by far," Sophoniba muttered. "It pricks me like a dagger, it stabs at me."

"But what?" Twilight asked again. "What has she done?"

Sophoniba fell silent, and did not speak again for a little while. "Zecora… Zecora was not only my elder sister, but growing up she was my dearest friend."

Twilight found herself smiling, in spite of the circumstances. "The one person you knew would be there for you."

Sophoniba chuckled, sadly. "Yes, or so I thought. My parents were often preoccupied, either with the lordship of the city or my father's share in the governance of the state or else with preparing Zecora to assume the same. I do not begrudge them that, now that I have inherited city and seat it is all I can do to find a few hours in a week to myself to devour the latest Daring Do. But it meant that I was often lonely… and Zecora, for all that she was training to assume the rule of Utica, found time alone of all in the palace to alleviate my loneliness."

"I can believe that," Twilight murmured. "She is very good with children." It was Twilight's turn to pause. "I should be honest with you, at first… a lot of ponies weren't sure what to make of Zecora. They, we, found her a little… weird. It was a young filly, Apple Bloom, my friend Applejack's little sister, who was the first to accept Zecora, and who showed us the way to accept her too."

"I can believe it," Sophoniba said softly. "What does she do?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"You were unaware of Zecora's heritage," Sophoniba said. "What does she do, in your pony town?"

"She, um, she makes potions, mainly," Twilight replied.

Sophoniba snorted. "I am not surprised; that was always one of her hobbies, the one at which she was most skilled. I am glad to know that she has been able to keep it up."

"You're glad?" Twilight asked. "You clearly don't want to lock her up."

"Of course not, she is my sister!"

"Then why is she in your dungeon?"

"I have no choice but to keep her there," Sophoniba snapped. "What she has done is… as I say, Zecora was always there for me. She comforted me, she attended me… in many ways she raised me far more than my parents did. They were, as I have said, very busy, and when they were present… Zecora was clearly the favourite of us. My parents, the servants, the guards… none had a great deal of time for me, nor any great regard. They were not cruel, you understand, they were never anything less than utterly correct in their attitudes and bearings and yet… there was a coldness to them. I think… I believe they tried to discourage Zecora from my presence, yet she would not be dissuaded."

"She seems like an excellent big sister," Twilight murmured. And your parents sound as though I could find a lot of unkind things to say about them.

"She was," Sophoniba agreed. "Or at least… I thought she was. There are times when I wonder if I ever really knew Zecora at all, or if the big sister whom I loved was never anything more than an illusion, a mask such as the Grevyians wear. You see, although Zecora was set to inherit, although she need only have had patience to take the throne of my father, nevertheless ambition like a weed grew within her heart. She could not wait. She sharked up a list of lawless resolutes determined to seize Utica for herself, by force. She betrayed us all, betrayed her own parents, and for what? For what would have been hers in any case before too long."

Twilight blinked. "I… I can't believe it," she said. "Like you said, it makes no sense! Why would Zecora do such a thing, it's so unlike her. It doesn't sound like the Zecora I know, or the Zecora that you knew for that matter. What… what happened?"

"She was betrayed," Sophoniba explained. "One of those she had recruited turned her in to our parents. My father and mother sat in judgement on her and she did not deny it. Out of love for her, our parents spared her life, but sentenced her to exile, banishing her from Utica on pain of death, never to return. And now she has returned and I… I cannot avoid the punishment that is due for her transgression."

"Can't you?" Twilight asked. "There must be more to this than you have told me."

"I have told you all I know."

"Then there must be more going on that you don't know," Twilight said. "Something Zecora knows, but will not say."

"If she will not say then it is of little use her knowing anything," Sophoniba replied.

"She might tell me," Twilight said. "Please, may I speak with her, alone? I'm not asking you to release her – yet – but at least let me try and get to the bottom of all this before you need to put the sister you still love to death."

Sophoniba hesitated, and in her eyes Twilight could see the indecision. "You truly believe there is anything Zecora could say that would excuse her actions?"

"I think there must be," Twilight said. "Or I never really knew Zecora at all."

Sophoniba hesitated, and Twilight held her breath waiting to see what she would say. At last she nodded. "Go, then, I give you leave," she said. "And good luck go with you also."

The cell in which they bad bound Zecora was very reminiscent of the one in which Twilight and all her friends had been cast by the Grevyian zebras in Cirta. It was a barren space, enclosed by stone walls on three sides, with a door of wooden bars lashed together to fence in the prisoner. However, unlike the cell into which Twilight and the others had been thrown at the command of the dragon Mantle, Zecora’s cell was not a deep pit dug into the earth. Rather, Zecora remained at the same level as the corridor in which Twilight stood, looking at her.

If Zecora had stood up she would have been able to look down on Twilight through the wooden bars. But she was not standing up. She was sitting on the rushes that lined the floor of her cell, her head turned away from the doors, from Twilight, from any visitors.

They had taken her gold away from her, Twilight saw; the bands were gone from around her neck, and from her legs. They had even taken her thick, gold earrings away.

Apparently prisoners were not allowed adornment. At least not prisoners accused of treason.

Treason. As Twilight looked down upon Zecora, sat upon the bed of rushes, her head bowed and turned away, she found that she could no more believe it than when Sophoniba had told the truth to her.

Treason? Zecora? Zecora a traitor to her people? A traitor to her parents, to her little sister? Twilight could envisage the Zecora of earlier in Sophoniba’s story, the devoted big sister. She could even envisage Zecora as a ruler or a ruler in waiting.

But a traitor? Zecora a traitor? No. No, it could not be so. There had to be another explanation.

There was always another explanation where Zecora was concerned. Twilight remembered when she had first encountered the kind-hearted but reclusive zebra: the object of an entire town’s fearfulness, an evil enchantress who did evil dances, a sorcereress who would cast spells on you and feed you into her cooking pot.

But that was not the truth. That was not who Zecora was. There was no evil, there was no cooking pot – at least not one that held anything more than delicious vegetable stew in it – and there were no enchantments either. There was just a zebra, a zebra with a good heart who was as fearful of the world as the world was of her, who needed a kind-hearted filly to give her a chance and make her a part of their home.

Twilight felt certain – absolutely certain; her convictions upon this point were iron clad – that something similar was going on her. She just… she couldn’t see the whole picture yet. She needed Zecora to open up to her enough to fill in the missing pieces.

“Zecora,” she said softly. “It’s me, Twilight.”

Zecora shifted upon the bed of rushes, but did not look at her. “It is kind of you to see me so, but from my presence you should go.”

Twilight frowned. “I know – I think I know – that you’re showing me respect by speaking in rhyme, but there are times I wish you’d patronise me like your sister does.”

That didn’t get much of a reaction out of Zecora, certainly not as much of a reaction as Twilight had been hoping for. Her zebra friend said only, “Sophoniba is a great lady in this town, she has the right to judge you lower down.”

“Whereas you don’t, for all that you could have been a great lady yourself if I understand it right?” Twilight asked. “I’ve spoken to Sophoniba.”

Zecora sighed. “If she has told you the whole story, why then do you for me feel sorry?”

“Because she didn’t tell me the whole story,” Twilight said. “At least I don’t believe she did. I don’t accuse her of lying to me, but…” she trailed off.

Zecora seemed to be waiting for her to finish, although it was hard to say because – infuriatingly – she wouldn’t turn around and look at Twilight! “But what, Twilight, did you mean to conclude? Don’t let your word hang in solitude.”

Twilight did, despite the zebra’s admonition, let her word hang in solitude for just a little longer. “You’ve always been an outcast, haven’t you? You were an outcast in Ponyville, and before that you were an outcast in your own home. I think… I think that’s what you do, isn’t it? You take on the burden of being despised, feared… even hated.”

Zecora chuckled. “Twilight, you have misread my character; if you think I am a martyr.”

“Then why?” Twilight demanded. “Why do you sit in this cell and say nothing, why don’t you protest, why do you allow yourself to be thought a traitor when you and I both know that’s not who you are, look at me!”

Zecora slowly turned her head to look at Twilight through the sturdy wooden bars of her cell door. Her eyes were a little wide with surprise.

“Look at me, please,” Twilight repeated, her tone softer and more pleading. “Why? Why are you taking on the guilt for something that you didn’t do?”

“What makes you assume I am innocent of the crime, for which I have been thought guilty all this time?” Zecora asked.

Twilight blinked. “Because… because you’re Zecora! Because Sophoniba told me that you loved her, that you were best friends growing up, and I can believe that a sight more easily than I can believe that you would betray your own sister.”

“I am not accused of betraying my sister,” Zecora reminded her. “It was Mother and Father that I sought to conquer.”

It was an admission of guilt, and yet at the same time it was also something else. It was a confession that would have shocked Twilight if she had been capable of seeing what Zecora had really said. Yes, she had confessed – sort of – that she had not been falsely accused of the crime of treason, but at the same time she had offered the first hint of an explanation for why the Zecora that Twilight knew might do this thing that seemed so out of character for her.

“What were you protecting your sister from?” she asked.

Zecora drew a sharp intake of breath. “Twilight, what makes you ask me such a thing? Of such actions I’ve given no inkling.”

“No inkling?” Twilight repeated. “What about the fact that you just denied betraying your sister while confessing to betraying your parents?”

Zecora’s jaw clenched, and she looked away, her eyes downcast.

“What happened, Zecora?” Twilight repeated. “I know that you are not a bad person, I know that you had reasons for doing what you did, I know that you don’t deserve to be put for death for your actions and I’m not leaving here until you explain yourself! I got you into this predicament and I’m going to get you out of it but I need you to help me out in order to do it. Please, Zecora, explain it to me. I know there’s more going on that I’m not seeing. That nobody is seeing… except you.”

Zecora was silent for a moment, and then a moment longer. She closed her eyes, and bowed her head, and for a moment Twilight thought – Twilight feared – that she would turn away and hold her peace once more.

Instead, words escaped her lips. “Did my sister tell you in her tale, how my parents their daughters failed?”

Twilight nodded. “She told me that they were… not there for her. That you were, but they… that everyone else was… distant.”

Zecora nodded. “I did not understand why it should be so; it pained me to see my beloved sister low. I could not see why she was treated, as though unworthy to be even greeted. I tried my best Sophoniba to care for and to love, but I could not help but disapprove, of those who should have nurtured my sister, who instead only dismissed her. One day I confronted my father and mother, and they attempted my objections to smother. They told me a most terrible truth, based upon the saying of the sooth.”

“The saying of the sooth?” Twilight repeated. “You mean… like divination?”

Zecora nodded. “A prophecy there was, concerning Sophoniba and I; it caused my parents to cast my sister from their eyes. When two sisters in Utica were born, strife between them would make the land forlorn; the rightful ruler would by her sister be displaced, and by usurper be disgraced. My parents thought that Sophoniba would seek my throne, so they ensured that she would be alone. They thought without support from any quarter, Sophoniba would be unable to raise disorder. But that was not enough for mother and father, I found out that they meant to go much further.”

“You mean…” Twilight trailed off, scarcely able to contemplate the horror of what she thought Zecora meant to say. “They were going to…”

“I could not allow them to go do such wrong, for my sister I had to be strong; I decided to make the prophecy come true, but not in a way that I would rue. Utica meant little to me, so I made my sister subject of the prophecy.”

“You rebelled against your parents so that you would seem the unrightful ruler, and be banished, allowing Sophoniba to take the throne,” Twilight murmured. “That’s… that’s very brave, and yet at the same time nothing less than I’d expect from you.” A thought struck her that made her chuckled. “You know… in a way your parents weren’t wrong. The younger sister did drive out the elder and the rightful ruler. Their mistake was in assuming that it was hate that would lead to this, instead of love.”

Zecora did not look particularly amused, at least, not at first. But after she had had a little more time to think upon it, a slight smile did spread a little way across her face.

“Thank you, Zecora,” Twilight said. “For telling me this.”

“It matters little to me now, and the truth I’d have you know,” Zecora replied. “I do value your good opinion, I would not have you think me a villain.”

Twilight placed one hoof upon her heart. “I’m very touched you feel that way, Zecora. And yet… I can’t help but feel that I owe you an apology because, you see… I’m not the only person who’s been listening to this.”

Sophoniba walked in front of the wooden doors, to where Zecora could see her. Her mouth was open wide, and tears gathered in the corners of her eyes. When she spoke, her voice trembled with emotion. “Oh, my sister, half of my heart,” she declared. “What wrong I have done you on my part. You loved me so well you could forsake, all that ought to have been yours to take; of this city and all its lands the rule, instead you made yourself the tool, of my succession to spare me from a fate, which otherwise I could not escape. I shall not forget, nor suffer you to languish here a moment further now I know the truth; your love and devotion both are given proof. Come; guards and set the prisoner free, let her walk forth and be at liberty!”