• Published 31st Oct 2020
  • 1,101 Views, 15 Comments

Conflicts Between Dusk and Twilight - Sparrow9642



When Celestia tasks her protege, Sunset Shimmer, on befriending Twilight Sparkle, much is discovered. A discovery that could potentially lead to grim consequences...

  • ...
7
 15
 1,101

The Unicorn and the Protege

In the courtyard of Canterlot Castle, the aspiring students of Princess Celestia went about their business, socializing and sharing knowledge with one another. It was a beautiful day within the royal capital city of Equestria, the birds chirping tunes in the many trees across the large clearing of vegetation and the city sprawling with both the Nobles and lower class ponies alike. All except for the young unicorn, Twilight Sparkle, occupied in her own little area with a book hiding her face from the rest of her classmates.

Nopony paid her any attention, knowing that she preferred to be alone, rather than associating with anypony else. Something most of the others found bizarre, but at the same time, really didn't bother to care about. Some of them had made an attempt to befriend Twilight, but only received either a dirty look or nasty remark as a result, earning Twilight both a bad reputation and giving any other individuals a hint that she preferred to be left alone. Therefore, the young unicorn sat under a shaded tree, accompanied only by the book shielding her face, a notebook, and a lone drink off to the side.

She was currently enveloped in a piece of literature about advanced magic, taking notes on the many spells and how to perform them. Twilight had an obsession with magic and EVERYTHING to do with the subject itself, and while she struggled with even casting the simplest of spells, she was more than determined to learn everything she could possibly learn about magic and all of its properties. A feat that she had come to realize was hard to accomplish on her own, but being stubborn, she refused any sort of help from any of her classmates or even the princess herself.

Princess Celestia herself had eyed Twilight's demeanor and actions towards her other classmates, and had found it sad and very depressing on how one of her top students preferred to go about her goals so lonesomely. On top of that, she had her own challenge to deal with; her current protege. Sunset Shimmer, a very talented and determined unicorn that had exceeded her expectations during her years of attendance at her school. While Sunset was talented, there was one problem with her that matched Twilight's preferred introverted lifestyle.

Both of them were focused more on knowledge and less on socialization with anypony.

Just like Twilight, Sunset spent more time in libraries than out and about with both her classmates and the citizens of Canterlot, wanting to learn more and more on how to expand her talents with magic and much more. Celestia had tried to address Sunset on the matter, but she merely ignored it, feeling like she didn't need friends being the protege of the princess of Equestria. She already had all she needed, so why would she need friends? She only saw it as something that would get in the way of her goals, just like Twilight did. That was enough for Celestia to resort to a plan that would solve the problem with both of the mares, killing two birds with one stone.

"I still don't understand why you're making me do this," said Sunset, standing alongside her towering mentor.

"My student, you have been too focused on one thing for too long," Celestia started, eyeing her protege with a kind expression. "If you ever plan to expand your knowledge, you must be willing to learn from others, not just literature books."

"What makes you so confident that I'll learn anything from her specifically?" Sunset questioned indignantly.

"She's one of my most successful students, Sunset," Celestia replied. "Much like you, she only wishes to learn all that she possibly can, but refuses to try learning from others. I feel that you two can benefit from one another, even if it's only for the sake of knowledge."

Sunset groaned in ignorance, knowing she had no choice in this matter, holding a look of disapproval on her face.

"Ugh, fine, I'll try talking to her," Sunset responded in an annoyed tone.

"Very good," Celestia responded simply. "I expect a legitimate attempt as well, as much as a report on what you learned while associating with her."

"And if she refuses?" Sunset questioned.

"She won't," Celestia stated. "Now, off you go, Sunset."

Sunset obeyed, slowly walking from the castle entrance, down the staircase, and out into the courtyard. Upon noticing the princess's protege out in the open, glances from Celestia's other students were exchanged. Sunset felt as if she were being spotlighted upon her approach towards Twilight, making her fruitless attempt to achieve Celestia's demands all the more uncomfortable, especially considering who she was walking towards. She practically had an audience, coming to a stop right in front of the lavender unicorn buried in a world of literature and notes.

Sunset took a moment to pause and think of how to even get Twilight's attention, her demeanor seeming awkward and unsure. The golden clad mare took a deep breath inward and took her best shot at starting a conversation.

"Um, excuse me?" Sunset murmured, her tone seeming choked and uncomfortable.

Her selfless attempt to get Twilight's attention had worked, the book lowering and revealing violet irises, her face holding a look of annoyance.

"What do you want?" Twilight spoke with mild irritation. "I'm kinda busy with something."

Sunset tried to find words, but they seized in her throat, and she expressed an awkward smile that caused Twilight to even raise an eyebrow. A long moment of silence passed between the two, the golden-clad mare only continuing to hold the same awkward and unusual smile that made her appear as a crazed mare.

"Look, if you need something, pick up the pace!" Twilight demanded.

Sunset jumped, not expecting Twilight to be such a hasty and demanding individual. The words finally escaped Sunset's throat, coming out more objective than she had intended.

"Look, I'm no happier to be in this predicament as much as you, so give me a break!"

Twilight raised another eyebrow, eyeing Sunset with curiosity.

"Predicament? What the hay are you talking about?!" Twilight snapped back.

Great job, Sunset.

Sunset chastised herself in her mind, realizing she had just made the worst first impression she could've ever made towards the mare before her, but one positive out of the entire endeavor was that she still had Twilight's attention, therefore, she took advantage while the opening was still there.

She sighed, calming herself down in hope that she could rebound from her first attempt at making conversation.

"Forget what I just said, Twilight" she said calmly. "I'm not much of a pony for conversation, so this is just as awkward as it seems."

Twilight's eyes went wide with confusion.

"How do you know my name?" Twilight questioned. "I don't recall you being in any of my classes or ever associating with you outside of school."

"Oh, I'm Princess Celestia's personal protege, so I know the names of almost every pony in Canterlot. It's not a requirement, just something you pick up on naturally."

"You, Princess Celestia's protege? Yeah right." Twilight replied cynically.

"It's true!" Sunset capitalized.

"I doubt the ruler of Equestria would put all her trust into a pony who can't even make conversation with other ponies," Twilight objected.

"Says a pony who only talks to her books and has never made any sort of attempt to associate with anypony else," Sunset lashed back with confidence.

Twilight attempted to lash back, but held her words in her throat realizing that Sunset was right. Upon Twilight's contemplation, Sunset spoke out to Twilight once again.

"In fact, I can prove that I'm her protege," Sunset proposed. "Try anything, and I guarantee I can pull it off."

Twilight took the mare's proposition to her advantage, and decided to see if this pony that had approached her out of nowhere could actually hold to her words. Grabbing her notebook where she had written down a list of spells that required very advanced unicorns to perform, she held it out to Sunset.

"Perform any of these spells and then I'll believe you, but be warned, I wrote down only the hardest ones I could find in the book I'm looking over, so it'll take some strong magic skills to pull any of these off."

Sunset eyed the book in Twilight's lap, curious of just how "advanced" this magic really was.

"Mind if I see the title of the book you have?" Sunset asked.

Twilight rolled her eyes, seeing the mare before her had just completely ignored her proposition, but didn't argue and lifted the book to where the hardback cover could be seen. Once Sunset saw the cover, she immediately burst into laughter, causing Twilight to grow confused and lost, up until Sunset came out of her fit and spoke.

"Oh please, those spells are child's play! I mastered those years ago!" Sunset claimed assuredly.

"You can't be serious!" Twilight snapped back. "These spells would take years to learn and master! Somepony like you wouldn't even fit that area of expertise!"

"Watch and learn, filly," Sunset claimed, taking the notebook in her magic and reading the first spell on the list; transfiguration.

A sudden burst of light blue light alighted Sunset's horn, turning her focus on a spare tree branch next to Twilight, quickly being gripped in a magical aura. At first, nothing happened, but then Twilight watched as the tree branch wriggled and morphed into many different forms, eventually taking the form of a red apple, following with a pop. The lavender filly's jaw dropped, eyeing the fruit on the ground. Her stunned gaze turned from the apple to the unicorn above her holding a smug grin on her face with no sign of struggle.

"Go on," Sunset proposed. "Try it, and you'll see that I wasn't lying when I said I could perform such an advanced spell."

Twilight followed, grabbing the apple in her own magic and taking a small bite out of the fruit. She expected to be met with a rough texture that resembled the bark of a tree and a bland taste, but was amazed as her tastebuds danced at the sweet juice caressing the surface of her tongue, it's taste devoid of anything she had originally thought. As she chomped down on the shred of the apple that was once a branch, she couldn't believe what she was tasting. Part of her wanted to spit it out, but she didn't and only continued to chew until it was to the texture of applesauce, and gulped it down into her belly.

It tasted just like any other regular apple she had eaten in her life.

"B-b-but how?" Twilight muttered.

"I told you, Twilight," Sunset replied nicely. "I'm Princess Celestia's protege. I know almost any form of magic that you can name, minus the darker forms of magic. The princess told me that those are strictly forbidden, along with any other form of dark magic."

Twilight couldn't argue. The display of magic she had just witnessed was enough to throw away all doubts on the unicorn before her not being qualified to be her ruler's right-hoof mare.

"You didn't even break a sweat, yet I struggle enough with just a simple light spell!" Twilight barked. "It's not fair! I study for hours upon hours, but you seem to do it so flawlessly!"

Sunset suddenly felt something spark within her, remembering her early days of learning the simplest forms of magic as much as her struggles. She felt for the filly before her and understood her frustration, so she quickly decided to sympathize with her in a way that she knew Twilight would deem acceptable.

"Look, I get it," Sunset started resting herself on the ground. "More than you may think."

Twilight looked up, her face holding a look of annoyance. "You don't know anything about me! Up until now, you never even knew I existed! Just leave me alone!"

Sunset had expected this, so she kept her distance. She didn't take the words as an act out of spite. She had been where Twilight currently was in the field of learning magic, how to master it, and trying to find your inner strength to perform it correctly and efficiently. It took more than just reading books and taking notes. That was where Sunset was at the time when she had found her inner strength, then was guided by Celestia in her quest to become a master at magic.

That inner spark ignited once again causing Sunset to act.

"Twilight, I've been where you are, therefore I know how hard it is," Sunset consoled nicely. "It's going to take more than books to master magic. Trust me, I thought books were the key to meeting the same goal you are trying to reach, but eventually I learned otherwise."

Twilight's expression changed quickly from annoyed to understanding, but she didn't speak, allowing Sunset to continue.

"It took a teacher. A master. Somepony that had ascended from student to mentor. For me, that was Princess Celestia, but it didn't happen overnight. It took years of learning, hours of practice, multiple failures before I eventually succeeded, and a lot of confidence in myself. Magic isn't an easy thing to master and requires more than just literature to do so."

Twilight held the same expression, looking at Sunset with unsure eyes.

"Where are you going with this?" Twilight asked unsure.

Sunset approached closer, knowing she had Twilight's attention.

"Well... if you'd like, I could teach you what I know," Sunset proposed confidently. "I've only shown you a mere fraction of what I can do and can show you more, but that's up to you, filly."

Twilight jumped at the offer. Nopony had ever cared or even dared to propose such a mighty feat with her, but here she was, being given such a proposal.

"I'm... sorry," Twilight muttered. "Did I hear that right? You? Teach me?"

Sunset nodded. "If you want me to. You and I aren't much different, Twilight. You have the persistence, you just lack the proper needs to accomplish what you seek. I have the knowledge of our fair princess, but only if you want to take this chance will I share it."

Twilight sat baffled, still unsure of all that she had just heard was fact or fiction. She only knew two things about the mare before her; she was the protege of Princess Celestia, and her magic abilities were miraculous without a doubt. Yet somepony of such stature was willing to teach her, a struggling student of said matriarch, all she knew about magic and how to properly master it?

"What's so special about me that you, the right-hoof mare of Princess Celestia, would take time out of their schedule to teach some filly like me such things?" Twilight asked forwardly.

"Honestly, I don't know," Sunset responded. "I guess you could call it... unicorn intuition. After all, we both are unicorns.

Twilight giggled at that, knowing Sunset was joking around, then she felt something inside of her erupt. A spark of some sort that startled her. Eyeing Sunset, she smiled, surprising Sunset as much as the lavender filly.

"Alright, I'll take your offer, uh...

The sudden confusion made Sunset realize that she had never even properly introduced herself. She wanted to facehoof herself so hard but shrugged her self-conflict away with a heavy sigh, smiling at the filly before her and finding the words to say next.

"Oh, I never introduced myself," Sunset said sheepishly. "My name is Sunset Shimmer."

Twilight giggled again, hearing the conflict in Sunset's voice. She just held her gaze and responded back to the mare.

"It's nice to meet you, Sunset Shimmer," Twilight proposed. "No need for me to introduce myself, seeing you already know my name."

A set of laughter followed between the two which resorted in the surrounding audience of fellow students gasping in shock. Twilight Sparkle, the filly who never spoke to anypony, unless addressed to do so, associating with the princess's protege. An action that seemed quirky to them, but from beyond the courtyard, Princess Celestia spectated the event unfolding in the courtyard, smiling at the fact that her student had successfully made her first friend.