• Published 29th Apr 2020
  • 207 Views, 0 Comments

A Series of Letters - Dashie04



A series of letters from Corn Husk to his wife.

  • ...
 0
 207

26-5-11

To my husband, Corn Husk.

You apologized! That’s nice, I thought you wouldn’t. However, I still am giving you a warning, sir.

Also, what the heck is ‘Way Back Home’ and who the heck sings it? How old is it? Is it by Bang, Cole, or Dion if it’s like 940’s material?

Regardless, your enthusiasm for Changelings hasn’t wavered a bit, I see. You still willing to find out more about how Changelings function. Let me tell you, me and Jack stopped by Princess Twilight’s library, and we picked up every Changeling book we can find. We’ve found out a cool couple things as well.

Firstly, reports of their deadliness are hardly agreed upon. Some say that all Changelings are scum to be purged from the earth, while still others say that the actions define the Bugpony. They could be spies, you know. The last time Equestria got spied on, there was a very serious conflict on the border of Stalliongrad.

An interesting thing me and Jack found was that, which reading one of the oldest books we found, we opened a dusty old page, and out fell an ancient drawing. It almost looked like a Changeling with a little extra pizzaz. It was taller, slimmer, and the legs weren’t swiss cheese. Me and Jack pondered over this image, before taking it to Dame Moondancer for further examination. We expect a reply soon.

Secondly, Changelings do have magic powers, but very few of them can compete toe-to-toe with our Unicorns, even those that are disguised. Disguised Changelings keep all the Changeling properties, but simply look different. It’s more like a costume, it’s not like the Changeling literally becomes another pony. Apparently the shifting tunnels idea was thought up by a great Changeling wizard a long time back whose name has become lost to history. Some sources even say that this spell was thought up by a Changeling BNM!

Regardless, he was the only Changeling of his type. Future Changeling wizards have only hoped to live up to his expectations. They have approximately a 1:10 ratio for wizards.

Finally, for changing. Changelings change like putting on a costume, their physical appearance is the only thing that changes. All these ‘costumes’ will cover up whatever the Changeling chooses. These costumes can serve as a container for either the horn or wings. The horn and wings are still there, but Changeling infiltrators know not to use those appendages if they want to stay hidden.

I would’ve loved to learn more, however, I got a migraine-level headache. I joked with Jack that we had done too much studying. Eventually, it did go away. I went back to researching, however, I excused myself to get this letter done.

School’s out as of the weekend of the 23rd, so I don’t have to do any teaching jobs for a little while. That means more time to study with Jack (hopefully), and better though out letters.

As mentioned, I was studying, got a migraine. I don’t believe it was too much studying, I think it might’ve just been a momentary headache lapse. I mean, it’s gone away. Whatever the cause, we should keep an eye out. I really don’t want to disappoint you, Corny.

Speaking of which, you make a fair argument for calling me Chrissy in public. You get the go-ahead to do that. I do the same with Sparky. I still call Jack either by his full name or just by ‘Jump’, though.

So, about the children, Jack is still Jack. He’s helping me with incredible amounts of research. He’s enjoying learning about Changelings like you, Corny. It’s kind of nice having two children that reflect different parts of their dad that remind us of how hard you’re working. Sparky is, still Sparky. Really militaristic, very much a tomboy. She’s out on a ‘non-date’ with her girlfriend right now. You know, as if it wasn’t obvious that that girl is her girlfriend.

Dear Celestia, please don’t have this go badly.

Jack excelled on his finals, he’s going to go places. Sparky got a C, as I figured. She never studies anything. I’m surprised she does as well as she does. I constantly tell her to study, she blows me off. She doesn’t do the greatest. It’s a vicious cycle, really.

So, Jack and Sparky are doing well. As I say every letter, I just can’t wait to see you get back home.

So, the health is the tricky part, I have a few headaches. That doesn't necessarily mean anything by itself. It could just be some very bad headaches. Perhaps it’s allergies. Ponies are constantly mowing their lawns. I might have a grass allergy, I don’t know. All I know is that our lawn hasn’t been mowed because nopony wants to actually work on the lawn.

Perhaps the headache means something worse. I don’t know anything about that, if it’s bad, I don’t know. I’m too busy studying Changelings to worry about anything else. I’ll study what these headache can mean after I’m done. with Changelings.

Speaking of which, Jack is calling me out, I think he found something.

...

Jack has discussed the infiltrator practice. Apparently, the infiltrator practice is unique to Queen Chrysalis. Struggling for love, Chrysalis started taking her most elite guards and sending them out. She’d put them in their respective costumes, and she’d send them out to take love from the ponies she disguised them as. In turn, it has become the Changelings’ number one defense. She could even be doing it right now. Ask your squadron members a question only they should know. That will give you info on whether something is a Changeling or not.

Sparky also just got home, her hair was a mess. She seemed the be very much enjoying herself. Therefore, I will ask in detail about what in Tartarus she did.

So, hope this Changeling stuff is sufficient. With that, I eagerly await you reply.

With all love and affection;
Chrissy.

PS:
No, don’t know any sit-down restaurants in Vanhoover, I’ll ask around. Please do try that Sunbucks when you get the chance, though.

Author's Note:

Late again, but whatever. Yard work is fun!

This chapter was actually surprisingly hard to write. I thought I’d hit the 1k mark with ease. But, it took a lot of padding.

Not to say it wasn’t fun to write. I realized one of my characters was researching Changelings and I quite literally said to myself,”Ooh, I get to do the fun part!” I love in-depth Changeling research, so I was ecstatic to write some. I like my interpretation.