• Published 29th Apr 2020
  • 212 Views, 0 Comments

A Series of Letters - Dashie04



A series of letters from Corn Husk to his wife.

  • ...
 0
 212

29-7-11

To my father, Corn Husk.

Dad, this is it. She’s going down. You are almost done, right? I really want you to come down, because I can’t handle this. I can’t handle this, Jack can’t handle this. We’re just watching Mom die right before our eyes. The doctors claim that she’ll make it at least until the 5th. So, if you can make it, please do. The last thing I want is for Mom to go down, and you not being there. I’ve already accepted she’s going to die. Now, you just need to join us.

We’ll be waiting here for as long as it takes. However, the doctors say you’ve got until the 5th because of some,”It wasn’t as bad as we thought” bs. I don’t care if it wasn’t as bad as you thought, Mr. Doctor Pony, it’s much worse than I thought. I don’t want Mom to die so soon. I want to have that chance to be a better daughter. Dad, when you come back, I’ll be the best girl I can be. Whoever you come back with, be it Lance or some other hot girl, I want to be that daugther for them, too.

The worst thing that can happen is as follows: Mom’s death is for nothing. What I mean by that is her death fractures the family instead of bringing us together, you’re fired and can’t find employment, and we end up just barely getting by because of one death. One singular death.

It can have the power of love, and the power of fracture. Ponies adapt to death in different ways, and if those ways conflict, then oh well. We’re royally bucked.

Now, I don’t mean to imply that Mom’s death will do that. However, it’s always a distinct possibility, and that’s what worried me. Dad, I’m so worried for Mom that it isn’t funny. I mean, under no circumstances would this be funny, but I’m taking this really seriously. Is there such a thing as taking this too seriously? Dear Celestia, I hope not.

Dad you’re worried about Mom too, aren’t you? Right? Please tell me that what you wrote no longer holds true. You should be worried about Mom, or I’m stomping over there and taking you myself.

Dad, we’re all feeling horrible about this. I suppose that it’s more of an anger, because we want to attack the people with couldn’t help. We want to lash out, because Mom is dying, so really, why did she have to? Is the universe on some twisted whim that’d tear families apart for the purpose of a cruel joke, or is it something greater. Maybe a deity who thinks that the ends justify the means and is killing Mom to teach us a lesson.

Perhaps we may never know, but neither option is truly favorable. I just want to see her alive and well again, chatting with us happily. I want to see the woman who researched Changelings for her husband a couple months ago. I want to see the teacher who loves her job, that she’d bring up history in letters. I want to see her again. However, I have this funny feeling that I never will. Mom’s dying, and there’s nothing I can do about it.

I don’t want this letter to become too depressing, so let’s examine those questions. Maybe it’ll give me some solace in these dark times, where nothing goes my way. For that matter, nothing’s going anyone in the family’s way, we all have things to worry about.

For example, I’m too worried about Mom to do anything else. As much as I wish I could forget about it, it’s harder than that. I don’t want to talk to my girlfriend because I don’t want to lash out at the ponies I love. Therefore, I haven’t talked to her, and she hasn’t talked to me. We’re drifting apart. I think she’d be concerned about Mom as much as I am. Maybe I should return contact with her so that we can grieve together.

Jack, again, is running his Changeling Civil Rights Movement, but nopony’s listening. They all think he’s either lying, or one of those hippies nopony likes. At least he’s still talking with his girlfriend, but again, his movement is going nowhere. He’s been halfheartedly giving speeches for a while, but again, he’s too young. I think he too is worried about what’ll happen to Mom. Therefore, it’s cutting into his talks for equality. I think he might actually be on the verge of giving up. My heart hurts for him. I may not like Changelings, but it’s terrible to see somepony with such a message as equality get blasted by the populous. He’s trying, but he’s going nowhere.

Mom is lying in a bed, dying. She’s talking in hollow lies to reassure herself that her death isn’t all bad. This is depite the fact that it obviously is. We love her too much.

And Dad, you’re on the front lines, fighting a war you don’t want to fight. Striking conflicts that you don’t want to strike. You’re keeping a Changeling under wraps as one of your friends. This Changeling is unable to change because if he were to change, he’d get shot. Maybe even several times. All because of a deep-rooted hatred that ponies are to prejudiced to lose. At the same time, you’re also struggling with terrible feelings for Lance and a overall apathy for Mom, and it’s killing you inside. All you want is for everything to be normal, but it certainly isn’t.

So, I’d say that nothing’s going our way. Life’s going badly for all of us. There isn’t a single thing that is going our way. However, we’ve got to power through it! There’s a light at the end of the tunnel, we can reach it. We’ve just got to believe that we can make it through these tough times and it’ll be alright.

Honestly, I’d love just to see you and Mom together again, Dad.

Marching in lockstep;
Shine “Sparky” Sparkle

Author's Note:

I have 10 minutes left before the day ends. It’s still today, though!

I actually haven’t had a close family member that’s died. I’ve gotten close to it, and Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay was actually a partial response to that incident.