• Published 29th Apr 2020
  • 212 Views, 0 Comments

A Series of Letters - Dashie04



A series of letters from Corn Husk to his wife.

  • ...
 0
 212

10-7-11

To my husband, Corn “Boot Camp” Husk;

Well, it’s nice to hear that everyone’s getting better, and you may actually make it home before I die. Also, I have a request, could you bring Lance and Slate, undisguised, to my bedside if I die? I want to see my Corny as a pony who learned that life could be worse. I love you, and I love everything you do. However, bringing Slate and Lance would not only make Jack shut up, but it’d make me super happy.

With that being said, the doctors said that the tumor is getting a little better. It’s slowed down, and the doctors are slowly chipping away at it. However, they still said I probably won’t make it past the end of the month. Corny, get home, bring your friends, and see me. I might be close to dying, or I might be recovering, either way, come home.

So, with that news aside for now, Jack has heard about your true friendship with Slate and now considers you the perfect pony for Changeling/Pony equality. He hasn’t gone back to preaching yet, but even then, he’ll probably use Slate as an example. Whatever the case, Jack firmly agrees with your assessment that no risk is too much to help your friends. He says he’d do the same thing for Sparky and his friends at school.

That’s part of the reason why this letter took an extra day to write, because Jack’s been constantly talking my ear off about how awesome you are. His chattering has been hard to block out. He still has the idealism of someone younger than him, but he’s at least a little more mature now. He’s for equality, as mentioned. His methods are a little strange, though. There’s also a ridiculously high chance that even when he does start preaching, nopony will care, as they always have done.

Now, you letters have been observed by a few people. They seem to see Changelings in a slightly more positive light. However, they’re still paranoid that another Canterlot Invasion will happen. They don’t trust Slate 100%, and they seme to be with the army.

It sucks seeing everything you say being so irrationally torn up, however I knew we’ll get through this together. Every other time you’ve been sanctioned, you come back a hero. This time shouldn’t be any different. You’re doing the right thing, so keep doing this. You’re on the right track. Just a little bit longer.

So, Sparky has mentioned that she feels a little better. She hasn’t talked with her girlfriend in a few days, so I do have reason to be concerned. I do believe my observation was correct. Sparky checks on me several times a day, and I have a sneaking suspicion that she doesn’t even go home. I at least know Jack goes home, because he always comes back fresh. Sparky comes back an emotional mess. Her mane’s a mess, and she always hugs me as if she’s sure I’m there.

She’s so precious, all that toughness has completely gone. She’s becoming a new mare, perhaps a more vulnerable one. One I can love without being told I don’t get her. I’m tearing up just writing about it.

Other than that, she’s been attentive, and I’m happy. Jack and Sparky are still our children and I love them very much. I don’t think I could imagine anyone else. Despite their differences, they seem to have bonded over my unfortunate condition. It depends on perspective if that’s a good or bad thing, I see it as a good thing. Despite all the problems my inevitable death will cause, I’m happy that it’s at least bringing others together. Even if those others are ones who were already close. They’re closer now.

After that, they ran a more directed treatment on me this time. Of course, they tried to kill the tumor with directed x-rays. As recounted by Sparky, the got pretty far this time. They’re slowly chipping it away and trying to slow it down. I requested that they try to keep me alive for as long as you were gone. They said they’ll try, but they can’t make any promises. As long as they’re trying that’s OK with me.

Speaking of which, the tumor hasn’t gotten any better. My headaches are still worsening. I feel like I’m snapping a little bit more when talking to other ponies. It could be stress, or it could be something more sinister. After all, I did never get to research particular symptoms for my case, and Jack’s too busy championing Changeling equality to do it for me.

The headache is no longer just something you can ignore. It’s yelling in the back of my mind constantly. I’m still getting the OK to write, but it’s very hard. That’s part of the reason this was delayed by a day as well. It’s just getting harder and harder to write. Before too long, I might have to relay the words I want to write to another pony to transcribe them for me. That’s how it’ll happen if this headache continually worsens. Therefore, these will be very difficult to continue writing, so you might get some transcripts instead.

So, about life, it could be better. It could also be worse. I mean, I’m dying, but there’s a very slim chance I might not, that chance is very small though. In addition, I’ve never loved our children more than right now. They’re cooperating, and I absolutely love them for that. Your friends sound wonderful, and I can’t wait to see them. Also, Sparky’s more vulnerable, she seems to be continuing on that path. I think she still might be militaristic, but it isn’t as easy to tell now as it was a month ago. They’ve both changed, and while if those changes were good is up in the air, I love them.

So, Corny, that’s about it today. Come back soon, you’re doing the right thing.

With all love and affection;
Chrissy.

Author's Note:

I too almost teared up to while writing about Sparky.

Yes, I call her that in my notes, I accidentally made her nickname too cool. Whoops.