• Published 29th Apr 2020
  • 207 Views, 0 Comments

A Series of Letters - Dashie04



A series of letters from Corn Husk to his wife.

  • ...
 0
 207

7-7-11

To, my wife, Crystal ‘Chrissy’ Gem;

The sanction is going to go on for a little bit longer, as we’re planning to retaliate against the Changelings. They won’t stop at anything until they kill the queen. The silver lining here is that, presumably, when Chrysalis is killed, all the border guards, main guards, and drones will go all dead inside.

This series of events is going to probably pan out like this:

1. The army kills Chrysalis

2. All the Changelings figuratively die their first life

3. The army thinks they’re all dead anyways and doesn’t do anything with them.

This is a silver lining, because it means that new, free Changelings will be able to live a somewhat normal life. They might be exiles, or disguised as guards in Canterlot, or even perhaps just working at an Inn in the middle of nowhere, but they will be alive. That’s one big step in the path to Changeling redemption and acceptance.

Now, we’re still going to kill several Changelings, I don’t want to, but I don’t exactly have a choice in the matter. If I refuse to kill or I simply capture another Changeling, they’re probably going to fire me, no questions asked. This would suck, but I might be able to actually see you. This fight planning is taking an irritatingly long time. Every single general wants to do something different, and they just can’t agree on a simple course of action.

One wants to annihilate the entire force, one wants to take a trip straight up to the queen and capture her for questioning (a very bad idea), one wants to sneak and kill Chrysalis, it’s a mess.

Again, nobody listens to me anymore. Going from the most promising lieutenant to an absolute joke hasn’t been good for my psyche. Also, Lance is guilty by association (but not Slate, they don’t know anything about him), and she has become mistrusted just as much as I have.

Speaking of which, Chrissy. You asked that,”At what point does doing all the good become not worth it.” To that, I say, never. Sure, I've been through Tartarus, and honestly, I’m still stuck in Tartarus, for Slate and Lance. However, they aren’t another checkmark on my list of failures that’s been growing steadily since I got here. They are more than just ponies (/Changelings). They are my friends. Friends don’t let other friends fall down, we pick them up.

Honestly Chrissy, you’d do the same for Jack and Sparky. Wouldn’t you? Given what you’ve done even while being stuck in the hospital, you’re a natural mother. You’d give your life for them, or at least I sure hope you will.

Because, I’m not giving up on Slate just yet. I’m not cutting ties with Lance because doing the thing she wants to do is killing her. They are my friends, Celestia dammit, and I will say anything to save them is worth it. There is no proverbial line, they are priceless. A good friendship is the greatest reward of all.

A true, true friend helps a friend in need
A true, true friend helps a friend indeed.

Ok, I heard the Elements randomly break into song in the Ponyville plaza one time. That was the song they song.

Oh yeah, Chrissy, I’d do anything for you, too. Just hang in there, I’ll be home for Hearth’s Warming, if only in my dreams.

So, about Slate and Lance.

Well, Lance has confessed that she may think of me as more than just a friend. I felt bad, but I had to rebuff her, I’m already married you see. She seemed to understand, she hasn’t talked to me in the last few hours.

Actually, where the heck is she?

...

She doesn’t want to talk to me. Ah.

Well, regardless of any awkward circumstances that may have arisen, she’s been nice. She’s been nice for me, respected my constantly declining mood after my failed Changeling savings. She also is perhaps the only military pony who actually likes me at the moment. I have a reputation as a Changeling saver, let’s hope that reputation doesn't get any worse. Now, everyone calls me Boot Camp, because I’m walked all over. Lance also treats Slate like an actual pony! So that’s a bonus.

Slate has gotten a little bit better. After me and Lance gave him some of our love, and we clarified that we don’t want to kill most Changelings, and everypony else hates us anyways, he cheered up a little bit. He now isn’t moping around anymore, he’s back to killing us at Poker. That’s an exciting development. Also, his shell has recently got a glossier tint to it. I don’t know if this is part of the Changeling reformation process. Regardless, I think he looks sleeker and overall very cool.

So, Slate seems to be sharing more love with us. I’m very excited to see where this leads.

Life has been going alright. I mean, everypony hates me. However, at least I’m not alone in my army’s disappointment. I mean, life’s better than just two days ago because, after all, it’s just about the same. I’m slowly getting used to it, and I’ve got Slate and Lance with me.

I’m not as torn up over all this crap happening to me because I know that I could have it worse. My friends could’ve left me and left me blue. I’m also not incredibly torn up over this because I know I’m doing the right thing. I’m getting a feel for Changelings and how they work, and I also want to have Changelings and ponies live as equals.

My health is fine. However, I’m very concerned for you.

I mean, I lost my dad in the military, he fought a couple battles and didn’t make it through one. I’m terrified of having that happen to the only filly I love with all my heart. Lance is my friend, but you’re my wife.

I miss you Chrissy, I really do.

With all love and affection;
Corny

Author's Note:

Wow, this chapter ended up being way better than the last one, I wonder what happened.