• Published 29th Apr 2020
  • 207 Views, 0 Comments

A Series of Letters - Dashie04



A series of letters from Corn Husk to his wife.

  • ...
 0
 207

29-6-11

To, my wife, Crystal “Chrissy” Gem;

Don’t worry about me and Lance. I’m not sure her orientation, and besides, if she tries making a move on me, I’ll tell her that I’m already taken. She probably won’t care or listen, but I’ll try.

Yes, I haven’t told her yet, don’t judge.

I heard that the battles went well. They sent the Magical Energy Weapons out first and killed the elite guards, then the magicians sent them back. I’ve heard through the grapevine that there’s still a few Changelings who went into hiding. So, we just need a queen. I hope they don’t kill Chrysalis, or at least give us a chance at reformation. I think I might be able to strike up a deal.

Regardless if that works or not, we’ve got Slate, and he’s cool. He’s actually been passed off as a recruit who they haven’t bothered to look very hard for. For now, he’s safe. There are no guarantees about the future.

Me and Lance have been feeding him with our love. He’s just too innocent to not love. I just got your letter yesterday, and I didn’t think about telling Slate that he needs to share his love as well. Besides, I think he’s just very confused about this friend thing.

Apparently in the hives, being friends with inferior castes is punishable by death. Or exile, which is apparently worse. I mean, I’d rather be exiled than killed, so I truly wonder why they feel so safe and secure in those hives. Perhaps it’s because of the absolute xenophobia of the pony race against Changelings. I mean, they haven’t done anything nice to ponies, but they aren't incapable of such a thing.

Slate’s been nothing but cordial since we’ve ‘rescued’ him. Nopony knows he’s a Changeling, which could spell trouble, I’m sure a couple have their suspicions, but they haven’t acted upon them.

Speaking of which, you say Jack is turning peace activist? That surprises me, especially considering he’s never shown such traits before. Also, he dug up my Dawn Lemon CDs? I’ve always been more of a fan of Pull McCart, but there’s a reason I have them.

Imagine a world with no Heaven
It’ easy if you try.

That’s good stuff right there. Too bad it got him killed.

Sparky has always had that militaristic streak. You just never ask her the right things. For example, if you ask her to march in lockstep, she’ll do it perfectly. It’s quite amazing, especially for one such as her who doesn’t even have any training!

So, Slate’s cool, Lance is doing well. With your detailed account of the kids, Chrissy, I almost feel like I don’t say nearly enough. Like well, Lance and I taught Slate how to play cards. That’s not entertaining though. However it’s really all we have. Like, seriously, I got blocked from participating in the last fight (but hopefully I’ll be participating in the next one, it’s being planned), I literally have nothing to do except talk with Lance and Slate.

Slate’s actually a shockingly good card player. We taught him once and lost about a dozen times. Thank goodness we weren’t bidding anything, otherwise I’d be down a thousand dollars and have a very angry wife, which is probably worse.

Perhaps Slate’s been taught not to convey or feel any emotion which is why he killed us at Poker. Chrysalis doesn’t seem like the sort of queen who’d be like,”Do whatever you want,” she seems more like a ruthless dictator.

Well, Slate’s been talking a little about his background, he was a drone. Infiltration drone to be specific, which is why he knew how to change to his heavyset, scruffy, grey stallion form so well, presumably. That’s about it.

Changelings get one job and they’re expected to strictly follow it the rest of their life. They’e lives are that of a normal pony’s, and far as I can tell, retirement is essentially a self-condemning death sentence.

Lance, on the other hand, was told by her parents to work in the military to get a free college. She did, but then she found out that she actually enjoyed it here. She’s been in the military since. Lance is apparently the nickname she got for being remarkably skilled with both her horn and melee weapons. Not deprecating, interestingly, as most nicknames are.

It’s probably just an odd anomaly.

So, I myself haven’t been doing much. I’ve been talking, and that’s about as far as it goes. They don’t invite me to battle planning because I brought back a Changeling. Who, as far as they know, has run away and is now hiding out somewhere in Equestria. No, he’s actually standing right next to me. You just don’t know it.

So, as for life, it could be better. I could also be dead. We’ve taken a hefty number of casualties this war, that last battle I was barred from actually got pretty bloody. Makes me almost glad that I wasn’t invited, but it would’ve been so fun!

I’ve been running away, but very carefully. Slate actually caught me one day and wondered where I was going. I told him the truth, but then said he could come to the next excursion. The only bad thing about these if that flying still takes energy, but it leaves me very tired. At least we haven’t done anything that would raise suspicions about a tired soldier.

So, Chrissy, I hear your health’s getting worse. That really sucks. You know what they say, honey, prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. I don’t have any books on me, so I can’t exactly look for symptoms. So, perhaps it’s just an abnormally painful and long headache.

I sure hope I’ll see you again Chrissy. You know how stingy they are with those things. Just know that I’ll see you even if it costs my position and my job, I’ll see you before you die. If you die at all. I will be asking the mailpony to send these to you faster, so that you can keep me updated faster.

Wish you the best.

With all love and affection;
Corny




PS:
Of course I flew. Aged Cheddar’s was closed, unfortunately.

Author's Note:

Wow, this got a view spike yesterday, I wonder why.

This story gets the weirdest view spikes, I swear.