• Published 27th Apr 2020
  • 1,515 Views, 58 Comments

PROTOTY - shortskirtsandexplosions



Princess Flurry Heart investigates the

  • ...
14
 58
 1,515

Class Representative Flurry Heart looks at her hands and she feels like crying. She must be making too much noise, for she hears her name being called sternly. She looks front and center.

Principal Celestia has her hands on her hips. She looks upset. She asks Flurry Heart why she's so distracted. All of the other students are turned in their desks, looking at her.

Flurry Heart sniffles. She politely asks to be excused. But as her mouth opens up, battleships come out.

The red alert light is flashing. There are patches of flames and sparks erupting all across the bridge. Half of the crew are pulling burnt, bloodied officers away from their singed posts while the others are shouting at Flurry Heart, awaiting orders.

She runs her thumb gently across the arrow head. It cuts thinly, spilling blood down the string of her bow. She squints out painted eyelids, peering through the foliage at the orc encampment below. She tongues the air, measures the wind, and takes aim.

The car pulls out slowly from the back of the speakeasy, its polished surface reflecting cold lamplights. Flurry Heart waits for the thunderous roar of a passing L-Train before revving her engine and giving pursuit. While driving at a safe distance, she radios in police dispatch and tells HQ that the bootleggers are heading for the landfill across the tracks.

Sunburst regards her with a steely glare. He stands at the far end of the bank lobby, separated by a sea of hunched-over hostages. His fingers tickle the trigger of a semi-automatic. Flurry Heart doesn't flinch. Her shotgun is already trained on him. She's been waiting for this moment for a long time.

The sharks give no mercy. They drag Luster Dawn away from the capsized boat. Her screams are mere high-pitched chirps against a frothing sea of suffering. Soon, all Flurry Heart can see is blood-red brine, and scraps of her former student wafting up to the surface, like morsels in a hellish soup.

He gazes at her from across the table. There is no room amidst his wrinkles for a smile. She sits in silence, knowing she is just one of many creases—soon he will be lost among the folds. The flesh will unravel and dump his bones into the heartless permafrost. There won't be a marker. He doesn't deserve one. He gave mommy far less than what was possible—than what was promised. He gave mommy her.

Waves crash against the beach. Flurry Heart stands alone. She looks down at her foot. Again, she feels like crying. Her toe digs into wet pulp—at the very end of a spiraling line that forms the plush shape of a snail. The waves crash again. The snail vanishes. She's left looking at the lines in the beach. All wrinkles—no smile.

The dragon spits flames at her. She's crying as she charges in. The beast swipes at her, but she twirls about and—with a thrust of her forearm—plunges the sword into the monster's chest. The prince is saved. They throw confetti and streamers across the castle courtyard. The springs are worn out. A bed like a tombstone. She will never love her; she never loved him.

An enormous temple. An enormous machine. Glistening with light in darkness. She scales it. She fathoms it. The tears are dry now. All is bone, buried beneath permafrost. A derelict zeppelin. A valley full of dinosaurs. She moves towards it, every step half-a-long as the last. Always approaching. Never reaching. It was all he could give. She was all that could be given.

A submarine filled with pirate skeletons. A cloud of fairies with magic wands. She awaits atop the mountain with a sniper rifle. The starlight glistens off her gauntlets. Friends. Friends. The scent of candy corn. She trudges downhill. She climbs uphill. A griffon with a flame thrower. A gang of robots carrying boom boxes. Flurry Heart lowers the sail and

Comments ( 46 )

I am confused...:rainbowhuh:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

are you ok

those some :fluttershbad:ed up dreams there flurry, might wanna get some psych help for that

Well, this is the first fic that I marked both 'tracking' and 'read[red]' in my library. Very confusing, yet very amusing.

I live for these kinds of stories. I wished it wasn’t cancelled ( ͡°, ͜ʖ ͡°,)

... have you been running lines of scratch-n-sniff pony pictures again?

Seriously, an alternative title for this could be “Writing while stoned: Flurry Heart trips the light fantastic”.

So I'm not hallucinating and the months of isolation out in the cabin for three months haven't turned my mind to mush?!

I feel like I’m having a stroke.

I.... what

media.tenor.com/images/43550c43a1a8572489f4dbb90577c508/tenor.gif
Pictured: Me ripping up my Master's Degree in "Understanding Skirtsian Drivel"

So I think that Flurry Heart is under mental assault by some ancient evil that wishes to take over her mind, evidenced by the constant requests for admin access last chapter and how she seems to be exposed to her insecurities. It might also be trying to get her body to do some sort of ritual due to how all the chapters reference killing something and how last chapter said something about dunking in blood of the father.

Umm... I...
...
Yeah

fully operational == false

I...don´t...even...what ?

WOAH

REALLY MAN

WOAH

Very rarely do I read something so relentlessly clever it makes me jump out of my seat. I'm not terribly interested in plot when I read a story. What hooks me is vibe. This is one of the vibie-est stories I've ever read. It oozes vibe. It's not just the emojis and Fitter/Happier-esque stream of consciousness and the way the disjointed scenes in the final chapter slam into you one after the other. It's that after all that, I still don't have a clue what's going on. Instant fave.

Seriously man, emojis? Who does that? That's so cool!!!

usually you give a story some time before canceling it

was this like a machine learning experiment or something

10202975
Cancellation is just a word. Closure can be concrete or not.

In this case, the sidewalk has hoofprints in it.

It's "cancelled" because you can't consider this kind of... story thing to be "complete".
It's meta.
It's clever.

...Or I'm reading too much into it.

10202975
That 4th chapter was especially machine-learning-y. I bet that was Skirt's intent there

Investigates what, exactly?

It's a metaphor for dementia. Flurry Heart was born with one or more birth defects (as evidence, her giant wings). Unfortunately, the birth defects turned out to be more than just physical, and also manifest as extreme psychosis, made all the worse by her immortality.

Or at least that's my best guess. I don't think it has a single exact correct answer.

10202707

Emoji are not a part of any real language. They are not glyphs in any real life writing system. IMO, The Unicode Consortium has betrayed its purpose by recognizing emoji.

geb

Interesting.

10203246
I was reading this more like dreams and nightmares? It's disjointed and makes no sense like how a lot of people have dreams. I personally don't know anything about dementia, and being super sleepy isn't helping much, so I can't say much for this angle other than mental issues being very likely once you pointed out her wings as a defect. Makes me curious about such things, but not surprised that they didn't go that route since they supposedly nixed a plot of Scootaloo learning she would never fly due to wings being a birth defect?

Cancelled?
. . . Perhaps this is for the best, I'm not sure being in the head space to write this is possible without chemical aid... Then again, it IS Skirts.

First, I'd like to appreciate the black sorcery that went into the story page, preserved here in case the bug doesn't persist:
i.imgur.com/q2aEtky.png

Seriously, what even.

As for the story itself, fascinating stuff. It's hard to tell how much of Shining's failings are Flurry resenting him for dying and how much are her own sense of inadequacy. All he could give was her, and it wasn't enough. A lot of ways to cut that.

Luster's role is curious, somewhere between the darker interpretations of Twilight's relationship with Celestia and a vain attempt to recapture that magic by a mare without the millennium-plus of teaching experience. And whatever's asking for admin rights definitely shouldn't get them.

And Flurry herself... I believe this is shortly after Shining's passing. Throughout the story, there's a consistent theme of Flurry set adrift. She knows what she's doing in the first chapter, yes, but after that ritual, it's all dream decay, emoji death chants, and transdimensional dislocation. Great-Aunt Luna may need to come in sooner rather than later, assuming Flurry hasn't gone completely mad.

Or it's audience trolling on par with the Beatles' faux-deep tracks, in which case, kudos. Whatever the case, again, fascinating stuff. Thank you for it.

This whole story feels like it was made up by AI Dungeon, trying its hardest to make something coherent out of a few key phrases that Skirts occasionally adds in as it goes along. It even abruptly stops in the middle of a sentence sometimes, just like AI Dungeon or other similar AI story generators.

Good ol' Skirts.

The next thing in my feed after this fic was SPark talking about Lovecraft less than half an hour later. Just saying, OoooOooO!

Huh. This is.

A trollfic by SS&E... Huh... I'm not sure what to think about this. All I know for sure is that if you can read this comment, then you aren't drunk or high enough to read this story.

Actually this seems to me like a cuil fic.

and now, the weather

10203411
But, I’m not sure if that’s true.
Sure, it’s labeled canceled, but this entire story gives a sense of warped reality. We can’t be sure of what’s what

10202809
Thanks for reminding me that it's past time I rewatch Cowboy Beep Boop

10204373
Tru, but also I haven't watched Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time yet so I feel maybe I should do that first.

10204374
10204405
Expect it all to make sense by the end.

10203475
And now I'm trying to figure out just what that would actually sound like and can only conclude it would be kind of like tasting the color fluffy.

10203966
This made me laugh. A lot.

I realize now that I like the idea of a more cryptic interpretation as to where Flurry ends up. Mainly on account of her maybe being the most powerful person in MLP without a defined future? As far as I remember? It works well with the sense of warped reality in this, though it could just be all in her head. I suck at making heads or tails of the actual content, but I like the title/description/cover representing the mystery as well.

10203498
Probably characters from right-to-left languages.

10203411
skirts is the most powerful drug of all.

10203498
My initial guess when I saw that is that those are characters from Arabic or other languages that are written right to left. Which is wonderfully clever, really.

10203966
WAITING FOR THE BUS IN THE RAIN IN THE RAIN WAITING FOR THE BUS IN THE RAIN

10203246

Emoji are not a part of any real language. They are not glyphs in any real life writing system. IMO, The Unicode Consortium has betrayed its purpose by recognizing emoji.

I think it’s actually kind of cool. Written language evolved from pictographs and now it’s come full circle. Also on this site it’s so easy to misread that as The Unicorn Consortium lol.

5th chapter is pronounced "zo" in Japanese.

I don't know how or why, but I love this.

Hello! Have a review. Well, maybe not really a review, if I'm honest. I see all these people in the comments here raving about the cleverness, and I'm sure they're right -- but although I do basically get the idea of a Flurry damaged after tragedy, the whole thing confused me too much to be genuinely enjoyable.

Login or register to comment