• Published 26th Apr 2020
  • 4,267 Views, 4 Comments

Dear Twilight Sparkle: Anon-a-Miss - Demon Shimmer



Abandoned by her friends, Sunset feels all alone. Soon she remembers that someone was with her all along. (Set before events of Dear Twilight Sparkle)

  • ...
5
 4
 4,267

Weights lifted

A thoughtful look washed across the face of Sunset Shimmer, as she looked around the room at the sleeping forms of her friends, her family. It had worked. She had gotten them back, and as a seeming bonus, Anon-a-Miss had been revealed. Over the course of this new, past week, she had begun to mend the wounds with the girls caused by the whole event. They apologised profusely, but Sunset forgave them. She understood how with her past, they might react in such a way.

But now, they had truly accepted her, and were able to look past her previous actions. Now it was time for the former pony to do the same.

Closing her eyes, she entered truly the space where her demon-self resided. While she hadn't spoken up since Sunset had taken her offered 'hand', she could feel her presence much closer throughout the past week, warm and comforting. Usually, the demon did her best to stay out of sight and out of mind- as possible as could be.

Sunset wandered, not caring where she was headed. Her feet made no sound against the space beneath her. No walls greeted her. What surrounded her was nothing more than an abyss, stretching infinitely in all directions. Soft taps came from behind her, soon falling into sync with her stride.

The two walked a while, an easy silence over the two. Sunset finally broke it, "why is it that you hardly ever talk?" She turned her attention to Demon Shimmer.

A nonchalant shrug was tossed in her direction, "is there any reason to?"

Sunset contemplated this response for a bit. She wasn't quite sure what she had been expecting from her other self, but it wasn't that.

"Anyways, I get the feeling that's not why you wanted to talk to me," a sigh, "so, what didja need?" The red clawed demon tried to seem at ease, but was failing at it. Her concern- and... fear? -was clear.

"It's just... Well," they had stopped walking at this point, "I've done a lot of reflection recently. I had figured before all, y'know, this anon-a-miss stuff, that I'd finally been forgiven for all the bad things I did. I was positive the Battle of the Bands was the big turning point, that suddenly I'd be able to laugh and joke along with everyone else about the Fall Formal," she shook her head solemnly, remorse in her tone, "but I was wrong."

The demon cocked her head, curiosity sparking in her glowing eyes. She said nothing, waiting for the girl to continue. When she did, more confidence lined her voice.

"I realize now. How are others expected to so easily forgive me, if I couldn't even forgive myself? That's why all their quips would hurt so much, because I couldn't look past my own mistakes. And not only did my own actions project onto them, I projected it onto you, too."

Surprise filtered across the demon's face. Her previous fears waned. This is not where she had expected this to lead.

"I called you Demon because that's all I thought you were, the monster I became at the formal. I've learned though, and you don't deserve to be called what you aren't. Which is why I'd like to give you a nickname. As a kind of, refreshed start," Sunset took a deep breath, "A name that isn't going to hold weight."

Silence.

Her demonic self stared at her. She didn't say anything, didn't even blink. The baconette felt her earlier confidence start to drain. Did the fiery being not approve of such a thing?

Then, there was laughter. And laughter. Sunset looked up to see Demon Shimmer barking in the joy-filled sound. She didn't understand what was so funny, but at least it wasn't mocking. Eventually, the laughter quieted down into a few giggles as the demon contained her laughter.

"Sorry, sorry," she breathed, "it's just that was like, super weird to actually hear," a grin split her features as she snarked, "and kinda sappy too."

Sunset rolled her eyes. The two resumed their walk.

"I'm up for a nickname though. What’d you have in mind?"

"Well.. I was thinking, maybe.." She glanced up nervously, "Dee?"

The being seemed to think for a few moments, still grinning. Then, she chuckled.

"Dee, huh?" She lightly elbowed Sunset in the side, "Sounds like a lazy escape of a name to me, but..."

Her snarky grin disappeared, and was replaced by a small, sincere smile as she turned to face the former pony. Sunset couldn't resist the way her own smile popped up in happy surprise. This marked the first time Sunset could remember seeing Dee truly smile.

".. I like it."

Author's Note:

my name is [sunset] I'm the [pony] sent by [twilight to upload this story].:rainbowdetermined2:
GTwilight's gonna kill me for putting that reference oop-

Anyways, I originally wrote this wanting a way to introduce the use of Demon Shimmer's nickname, Dee, into Dear Twilight Sparkle without it being out of the blue (and to help further develop the timeline of the story, I guess). It gives a small little slice of what Sunset's and Dee's relationship had been like.

Comments ( 4 )

Interesting take on DemonSet.

I really like the bond between Sunset and Dee here! They usually got that antagonistic relationship, so this was super refreshing. Thanks for writing this!

11233033
Thanks for reading it! :twilightsmile: (ignore how late this is responding gkejkfja klfwnifvsfkljfh)

Login or register to comment