• Published 25th Apr 2020
  • 5,577 Views, 310 Comments

On the Wings of a Pegasus - Jinzou



When Scootaloo visits Rainbow Dash over the weekend, a terrible secret is revealed. Now Rainbow Dash must do everything she can to keep the filly happy.

  • ...
4
 310
 5,577

Chapter 7

The two pegasi sat quietly in Rainbow Dash's living room. It was only a couple hours past noon, but the last few hours had been so taxing if felt like it had been days since this all started.

Eventually Rainbow spoke up, breaking the palpable silence that had hung over them since leaving the library.

"So, we still have a couple hours before sunset. Anything you want to do today?"

"No. Not really." Scootaloo frowned, physically and mentally exhausted after all that had occurred.

She looks so depressed. Thought Rainbow. I have to do something.

They sat in silence until a brilliant idea popped into Rainbow's head.

"Hey Scoot, I think I know something that'll put a smile on that face." Rainbow grinned. "Do you trust me?"

Scootaloo fixed the older pegasus with a confused look before simply nodding.

Rainbow walked over to orange filly, bowing her head and indicating she should climb on. With Scootaloo safely attached, Rainbow walked over to her front door and kicked it open, before taking a great leap and starting to fly.

"Okay squirt!" Rainbow shouted, picking up speed. "When I say 'go' I want you to stand up and open your wings horizontally. Got it?"

Scootaloo yelled back her confirmation.

"Go!" Shouted Rainbow, tilting her angle so she was flying down slightly.

Taking a deep breath to steel her nerves, Scootaloo did as Rainbow asked. She gasped in surprise as the air caught under her wings, slowly lifting her off Rainbow Dash's back.

With that, Scootaloo felt the crushing weight of the day start to wither away. She was flying! She looked down at Rainbow Dash, who had flipped over so she could watch the filly. Scootaloo beamed brightly at her, and Rainbow beamed back. With some especially powerful flaps, Rainbow created lift under Scootaloo's wings, eliciting a happy giggle and a cheer from the filly as she soared higher into the sky.

This is more like it. Rainbow thought with a smile. A kid her age should be worried about playing outside with friends and having fun, not this adult shit she's been dealing with.

Rainbow settled with blowing around the filly for a couple of minutes until the tired filly came coasting down, landing on Rainbow's chest. Figuring that was the end of her fun, Rainbow flew over to a nearby cloud, letting Scootaloo off.

"OHMYGOSH RAINBOW DASH THAT WAS AWESOME!" Scootaloo screamed in delight, bouncing around. "That was JUST LIKE flying! I mean I couldn't flap my wings or turn BUT STILL!" Scootaloo pounced on Rainbow, pulling her into a tight hug.

"Thank you so much." Scootaloo uttered, the sound muffled by the fact she had shoved her face right into Rainbow's chest fluff.

Rainbow ran a hoof through her mane. "It's no problem Scoots. You looked like you needed a big ol' smile. Now if you're in, I think it's about time we got some dinner and we headed off to bed. I am beat. How's Sugarcube Corner sound to you?"

"It sounds perfect!" Scootaloo laughed, pulling out from the hug to beam at her idol.

With a quick movement, Scootaloo was back on Rainbow Dash's back, and the pair set off.


With the ring of a door bell, the pegasi entered the confectionery madhouse. Alerted by the noise, the pink earth pony behind the counter burst into a wide grin as she regarded her two new customers.

"Dashie! And Scootaloo! Great to see you both. What can I do for you?" Pinkie Pie bounced.

"Squirt, you go ahead and get whatever you want, my treat." Rainbow whispered to the orange pegasus. Turning back to Pinkie, she chose a blueberry muffin. Scootaloo chose a cupcake with vanilla icing.

"Great!" Pinkie beamed. "That'll be two bits please!"

Instinctually, Rainbow Dash reached for her saddlebags to grab her bit pouch, before freezing as she remembered she didn't bring them. She turned back to Pinkie with a sheepish grin.

"Ah forget it Dashie, they're on the house." Pinkie exclaimed. "Well they're not actually on the house, since they're right in front of you and this isn't even a house. It's more a bakery with some rooms above it. Or does that still make it a house? Either way your food isn't on the roof, it's right here in front of you!"

Ignoring her friend's randomness, Rainbow thanked her and moved her muffin to a nearby table, gesturing for Scootaloo to do the same. The adrenaline from the glide having started to wear off, Scootaloo started looking uncomfortable again, quietly thanking Rainbow Dash for having covered her. As she ate she stared at the table in silence.

Aw hay, she's looking sad again. And she was so happy looking after the little flight.

"Hey kid, why are you looking so sour? What's wrong?"

Scootaloo sighed. "It's nothing. I'm just kinda... what if he walks in here and finds me? Or what if he goes looking for me and finds me and... And you're not around? Especially what if he breaks into your home? If he tries throwing me off again I don't think I'll come out with just one broken bone."

Rainbow Dash put down her muffin and thought for a moment. "He can't. Remember what Twilight said? She was placing him under house arrest or whatever."

"But what if he leaves anyway? I mean... you never know what he could do!"

Rainbow Dash bit her lip contemplatively. "Listen squirt, if he wants to get to you, he's gonna have to go past me. And I'll be right by your side this whole time. I don't think I have to worry about some drunkard trying to fight me."

Her fears temporarily assuaged, Scootaloo gave a small smile, which dissapeared as soon as another though popped into her head.

"But what about school? And crusading? You won't be around then."

Rainbow had to admit that was a good point. She took a bite of her muffin and chewed thoughtfully. "Well school is easy enough. Miss Cheerliee may not look a fighter, but I speak from experience, having unfortunately pissed her off in a bar once, she can throw a mean hook. As for you crusading... Hmm... Well, I do have a bunch of saved vacation days at work, I'm sure I can cash in enough to watch over you until the trial. That can't be too far off if Twilight is all up in its business. Besides, I've heard some of the harebrained things you've done while crusading. You all probably should have the watchful eye of an older pony around you anyway."

Scootaloo stared up at Rainbow Dash with a hopeful smile. "You'd really do that for me?"

"Of course I would Scoots." Rainbow winked. "The safety of my little sister is priority number one!"

"T-thank you." Scootaloo simply replied.

Rainbow suppressed a yawn as she finished her muffin, noting Scootaloo was already done eating. "I think it's about time to hit the sack. You ready to go?"

"Good to go, Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo chirped.

With that, they set off into the night sky. Eventually making it home, Rainbow yawned as she dropped off Scootaloo in the kitchen. She went to push her bedroom door open when a small voice stopped her.

"Uh, Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow turned to see Scootaloo looking at the floor, gently blushing.

"I know you said everything is going to be okay but... do you mind if I sleep with you tonight?"

"Long as you don't snore." Rainbow chuckled. Ears perked up, Scootaloo happily followed Rainbow into her room, snuggling right into her side after she laid down. Sitting up to pull the blankets up, Rainbow flared one wing out, gently wrapping it around the filly like a makeshift sleeping bag, pulling her in tight. Scootaloo gave off a happy hum.

Looking off to her nightstand, Rainbow spotted her pile of Daring Do books.

"Say, squirt. You ever read Daring Do?" Scootaloo shook her head. "Do you... Do you want me to read you a bedtime story?"

Scootaloo failed miserably to suppress her enthusiasm. "That'd be great!" She chirped, pulling Rainbow's wing tighter against herself and snuggling in closer. Smiling at the adorable outburst, Rainbow reached over and grabbed Daring Do and the Sapphire Stone.

"As Daring Do trekked through the tropical jungle, the wet heat sapped her energy and slowed her every step..."

Author's Note:

Finally, the poor thing's torture ceases (for now). This is where I venture into unknown territory. I've never tried writing cute before. Let me know what you think!