• Published 25th Apr 2020
  • 5,577 Views, 310 Comments

On the Wings of a Pegasus - Jinzou



When Scootaloo visits Rainbow Dash over the weekend, a terrible secret is revealed. Now Rainbow Dash must do everything she can to keep the filly happy.

  • ...
4
 310
 5,577

Chapter 21

Boom

As soon the group of friends reached Sugarcube Corner and so much as opened the door a sliver, the distinct sound of the party cannon was heard. The door was thrown open, and a very wild, very excited pink earth pony somehow managed to grab the entire group and force them inside.

Once inside, the friends stood there, mouth agape. Pinkie's parties were always wild, but this took it a step further. There were pastries on every conceivable surface. There were banners hung up featuring Scootaloo's face with a giant grin. There was also a giant poster attached to the far wall that showed the smiling faces of Rainbow Dash and Twilight drawn with a giant heart behind them. Below it was a three tier cake that had a one layer of cyan blue, with the other two tiers being lavender. The whole cake was adorned with rainbow colored trim.

"Pinkie... wha... how?" Stammered Twilight.

"Well I knew you were coming back today, but not when!" Pinkie bounced. "So I waited a while and got bored. Then I started baking! But then you still weren't here, so I did more baking. Then I drew some pictures of Scootaloo since it's her big day! Then you still weren't here so I remembered that Scootaloo was going to have no legal guardians and could end up in an orphanage. That made me so sad, but I also knew you guys wouldn't let that happen. I knew you needed to be twenty five to adopt in Equestria if you're single and Dashie and you weren't together but if it was to keep Scootsie she'd marry you on the spot. And then you'd be all 'No, Rainbow Dash, that's inappropriate!' and would suggest civil union, which is something I overheard Mr. and Mrs. Cake talking about when they adopted me. They weren't married yet and Mrs. Cake was still Chiffon Swirl at that point, so they suggest that as they weren't ready to marry fully. But then they did marry anyway and now I'm here! And now you're here! And now it IS TIME TO PARTY! WOOOOO!"

The party cannon went off again.

Blinking a few times, Rainbow interrupted Pinkie. "Pinkie, they adopted you like ten years ago, you're saying you remember one conversation from ten years ago?"

"Yup!" Chirped Pinkie. "And it was twelve years ago. Or if you want to be precise, four thousand four hundred and thirty-three days ago. Or if you want to be more preciser, one hundred-thousand six thousand three hundred and seventy hours. Or even more preciser-er, that'd be-" Rainbow shoved her hoof in Pinkie's mouth.

"I think we get the picture, Pinkie." Rainbow sighed.

Pinkie just smiled and hopped off to go talk to Applejack.

"What... what just happened?" Scootaloo blanched. "How do you guys ever get used to her? She's like if a sugar rush had a physical form."

"The short answer is we don't." Twilight explained. "That pony has kept me on my hooftips since I moved here. As soon as you think you understand her, she proves you wrong."

"Huh."


As the party winded down, Twilight got ready to say her goodbyes. She walked up to Dash all business-like and spoke.

"I'll need to see you tomorrow. Does after you drop off Scootaloo at school work for you?"

"Jeez Twilight." Rainbow laughed. "I wake up to you preening me and now you're demanding to see me the next day? You're clingy."

"I'm going to ignore that comment as we have work to do." Twilight scoffed. "Besides, you looked like you hadn't done your weekly preening yet, maybe I was just trying to help you."

"What work? And- hey hold on, did you say weekly? Twilight, you're supposed to preen at least once a day. Do you even know how?" Rainbow asked, holding out one of Twilight's wings to inspect. There was some off position feathers and some dirt and dust trapped between other feathers. "No, you apparently don't. Do I need to teach you how to do day one pegasus stuff? Really? Even Scootaloo can preen herself, Twi."

"Well excuse me for not being born a pegasus." Twilight snapped. "And the work is the legalities for the adoption. Like moving out of the library. Stuff like that."

"Moving ou- what? Why do you need to move out of the library?" Rainbow Dash asked, completely lost.

"Rainbow Dash did you even read the paperwork you signed?"

"I... well I skimmed it. I just signed where I was told to sign!"

"I pointed out several distinct areas I wanted to make sure you agreed to! I was wondering why you were so ambivalent about some of the things written there!"

"Well I..."

"No Rainbow Dash, I should have foreseen this." Twilight sighed. "Just come to my library after you drop Scootaloo off tomorrow and I'll break it down for you."

And with those final words, Twilight waved goodbye at Scootaloo and her friends, and took off into the night.

Rainbow Dash scratched her head.

What the hay was that all about?

Scootaloo came running up to Rainbow Dash, all smiles.

"You ready to get out of here squirt?" Rainbow asked.

"Sure am!" Scootaloo chirped back.

"All right. And I know we finished Daring Do for bedtime stories, but you wanna read it again?"

"Yeah!"


Scootaloo caught sight of her friends as Rainbow descended toward the schoolhouse. She hopped off, gave Rainbow Dash a big hug and a good-bye and went to meet her friends.

School was somewhat off for Scootaloo. Cheerilee was lecturing about long division in one block, then Equestrian history the next. Scootaloo couldn't shake the feeling that the entire class was watching her. She had just missed most of the week because of the trial. That had to be it. Unless...

Did everyone in class hear about the trial or something? I sure hope not, that'll attract a lot of unfortunate attention.

Finally Cheerilee announced it was recess time, and the Crusaders took off into the playground to plan their events for the rest of the day. Their cheerful atmosphere was broken as an unfortunately familiar voice called out for them.

"Hey blankflanks! I need to speak with you all!"

The Crusaders looked in time to see Diamond Tiara stalking towards them, mirrored by Silver Spoon.

Oh no.