• Published 25th Apr 2020
  • 5,584 Views, 310 Comments

On the Wings of a Pegasus - Jinzou



When Scootaloo visits Rainbow Dash over the weekend, a terrible secret is revealed. Now Rainbow Dash must do everything she can to keep the filly happy.

  • ...
4
 310
 5,584

Chapter 11

The birds were singing. The sun was shining. There was a gentle breeze blowing on this beautiful gift of a morning. And somewhere, inside of a magnificent home high in the skies, there was a very irate blue pegasus listening to the rather annoying snore of the sleeping filly cuddled up to her.

Snoooooorrrre

Scootaloo, you're lucky you're cute. Rainbow Dash thought irately. The filly's muzzle was pressed firmly against Rainbow Dash's chest, pushing her nose off to the side and probably causing the snore. But every time Rainbow moved, the filly moved back to the same spot, eventually getting in the same position.

Is it near time to get up and ready for school yet? Please say yes. Rainbow thought, doing her best to look out with window without waking her precious, annoying package.

Rainbow quickly judged the time due to the sun's position. It was just peeking over the horizon. Probably had two to three more hours before school started. Rainbow could just quickly leave and go get...

No. Rainbow thought. She's told me numerous times how being alone freaks her out, and last time I left her alone in the house for five minutes, I found her stuck in the same spot she was in when I left, and shaking like a leaf. Rainbow's gaze softened as she regarded the peaceful sleeping form of the filly in front of her. I guess I can take another hour or two of her snoring just so I can make sure she doesn't freak out when she wakes up.

As gently as she could, Rainbow Dash brushed a lock of hair out of Scootaloo's face. I can't imagine for the life of me, even while drunk off your ass, how somebody could want to hurt this adorable little filly. Screw the fact that she should have been able to fly a long time ago, the creature in front of me was one of the kindest, most caring fillies I've ever met. And one of the worst snorers.

Unable to resist the urge, Rainbow Dash pushed down on the cloud mattress, forcing it to drop, and slunk her left forehoof under the filly's barrel. She threw her right forehoof over her shoulders, right under the wings, and softly pulled Scootaloo into a tight hug.

By Celestia, if any of my friends ever saw this I would never live it down.

She hear a soft groan and felt Scootaloo stir. Scootaloo woke up to a world enveloped in rainbow colored hair.

Rainbow wondered quickly of whether to release the hug before she realized what was going on. She knew the orange pegasus saw her as an idol, like an idyllic representation of what a pegasus should truly be. One that was tough and didn't show feelings.

Ah screw it. Her happiness is more important to me than my image.

"Mmmm." Scootaloo yawned. "Good morning."

She stretched out her hooves, but didn't try to break out of Rainbow's hold.

"Uh, hey squirt. Good morning." Rainbow replied, doing her best to sound nonchalant. "How'd you sleep?"

Scootaloo responded by cuddling in closer to Rainbow.

"Like a filly!" She paused, thinking of whether or not she should even mention what she was thinking. "Hey, uh, Rainbow Dash?"

"Yeah, what's up?" Rainbow waited with bated breath.

"I just want to thank you for, y'know, this." Scootaloo blushed. "I mean, not just taking me in, but... Ever since I ran away from home I've been having... nightmares. Except for the last two nights." Scootaloo trailed off awkwardly.

That's... pretty sweet. Curse this filly, she makes it harder for me maintain the unshakable tough girl look each day.

"Of course Scoot." Rainbow started, putting on a slightly silly tone to sound like a comic book hero. "Nightmares know better than to mess with you when the mighty Rainbow Dash is around to save the day!"

Scootaloo giggled. The two relapsed into a serene silence, as Rainbow watched the sun rise.


"Alright you." Rainbow Dash yawned. "It's time for you to get ready for school."

"Aww c'mon." Scootaloo groaned. "Do I have to go?"

Rainbow chuckled. "Yeah, yeah you do. I know school sucks, but at least you get to see your friends again, right?"

Scootaloo nodded. "That's true. But you dropped out of flight school and still made a good living for yourself, so is school reeeeeeeeally that important?"

"Nice try, kid." Rainbow laughed, gently nuzzling the filly. "But I only dropped out because I couldn't handle the bullying. And it did make it much harder to get a job. Truth be told, the only reason I got the job I did, is because the boss challenged me to a race. He was fast, and he was hotheaded, but I totally kicked his flank."

"Wow!" Scootaloo said, eyes growing big. "But wait, you got bullied? What would ponies have to bully you about?"

"Heh, well..." Rainbow chuckled awkwardly, tossing her mane over her shoulder. "At first it was because I had a rainbow mane. Because of that I heard every fillyfiddler joke in the book. And then I became 'Rainbow Crash'. I may have uh... tried to do a trick a little out of my league on the first day of Flight School and ended up landing in a trashcan. And then crashed a couple more times for the rest of the time I was there."

"Well look at you now! You're a Wonderbolt!" Scootaloo beamed. "Also, some kids were talking about the mane thing yesterday. Featherweight says your mane tastes like candy."

Not expecting that, Rainbow burst out laughing. "Well I can assure you my mane does not taste like candy, it tastes like a normal mane. And right now I'm not a totally Wonderbolt per se, I'm just kind of like... I guess my best analogy would be a understudy in a play. I'm not there to fly, but I can take the role if another Wonderbolt gets sick or injured."

Scootaloo thought for a moment. "You still have a Wonderbolts uniform."

"Yeah, a reservist one." Rainbow yawned, getting to her hooves and picking up Scootaloo as she flew to the kitchen.

"That's still a Wonderbolts uniform to me!"

Rainbow set to work making them breakfast. "And it will be a full Wonderbolts uniform soon enough!"

The two sat in silence, munching on sandwiches Rainbow made.

"So..." Scootaloo started. "What are you going to do while I'm at school all day?"

"Well first." Rainbow said thoughtfully, slowly chewing. "I'm gonna have to talk to Miss Cheerliee, let her know I'm your legal guardian for now. Twilight sent a scroll here yesterday that can prove that. And then, I'm gonna go get a cookbook from Twilight, because I can't feed you off of sandwiches and pancakes forever. And the only other possibility is getting take out all the time, and I'm not sure I can afford feeding two mouths like that."

Rainbow missed the guilty look on Scootaloo's face as she heard that.

"And then I'll need to go shopping." Rainbow Dash continued obliviously. "And then I was thinking of talking to Twilight and trying to draw up a training schedule for you, to get you flying." Scootaloo instantly perked up a bit at that. "And if I still have time to kill after that, I can work on some tricks."

"But in the meantime squirt, we gotta get your butt to school."

Seeing both of them were finished, Rainbow grabbed the aforementioned scroll in her mouth, sat down so Scootaloo could climb onto her back, and took off to the Ponyville Schoolhouse.

Author's Note:

Yeah okay, so this was a lot of fluff and not a whole lot of actual story, but I promise you that the next few chapters will have a good amount.

Especially since I took 11 chapters to describe one weekend. Wow.