• Published 24th Apr 2020
  • 737 Views, 13 Comments

Pinkie and the Paint - Mockingbirb



What's it like, knowing one of your best friends tried to kill almost everypony in the world who looked like you? Sometimes Pinkie Pie would wake up from a nightmare, and remember.

  • ...
0
 13
 737

Pinkie Thinks About Twilight Sparkle

Sometimes, usually when nopony was watching, Pinkie Pie practiced staring at drying paint.

She still remembered the day when she'd used the Mirror Pool and her old Nana's rhyming spell to make clones of herself. The clones had been kind of dumb, and most of them wouldn't stop chanting "Fun! Fun! Fun!" But there had been so many of them! It became hard for anypony to keep track of who was the real Pinkie Pie and who was just a copy.

Pinkie Pie remembered how Twilight Sparkle had decided to clear up the confusion. Twilight had told all the Pinkies to watch paint dry, and if any Pinkie stopped paying attention to the paint for even one moment, Twilight zapped that Pinkie with some kind of death ray, making the innocent creature pop like a soap bubble.

Sometimes, most often late at night, Pinkie Pie remembered that day. Sitting in a room staring straight ahead, afraid to move on pain of death. Seeing the flashes in her peripheral vision. Hearing Pinkies destroyed on every side. It always made Pinkie shiver. One of Pinkie's best friends was the same pony who had gone through the motions of destroying Pinkie again and again. Watching one Pinkie after another die.

What kind of pony could bring herself to wreak such violence?

Was Pinkie in danger just by spending time with Twilight Sparkle? Pinkie probably wouldn't ever use the Mirror Pool again, so that was out. But what if a copy of Pinkie Pie happened some other way? A few times a month, Pinkie Pie would dream about a changeling turning herself into a copy of Pinkie Pie. In some dreams, it was an unreformed changeling who had been lost in the wilderness, or had come from a undiscovered hive far away. But sometimes, it was an innocent, well-meaning changeling who was only trying to play a fun prank.

One night, it was Queen Chrysalis herself. When Twilight had zapped the real Pinkie Pie with a death ray, Queen Chrysalis had laughed and laughed as Pinkie Pie lay there, unable to move, slowly dying.

Another time, it was Ocellus. When Twlight's overpowered magic had killed the real Pinkie Pie once and for all, Ocellus had watched in horror, screaming, too shocked even to change back to her real appearance.

On one Hearthswarming Eve, Pinkie Pie dreamed that she'd met a long-lost twin in Manehatten. The twin had been lost at the hospital as a newborn foal, and adopted by another family. Pinkie and her twin had been so happy to discover each other. But as the reunited blood relatives planned a party to introduce their friends and families to each other, the dream had suddenly became a scene of carnage. Yet again, Twilight Sparkle killed a pony just for looking like Pinkie Pie.

Sometimes, late at night, Pinkie Pie would wake up, get out of bed, smear a bit of paint on the wall, and practice staring at it. She stared and stared as if her very life might depend on it, unblinking, unmoving, waiting for the paint to dry.

Author's Note:

All I needed was a fake example story, so I could see how this Fimfiction website works before I published a real story.

But it turns out, Pinkie Pie's angst is about as real as anything else in magical ponyland.