• Published 23rd Apr 2020
  • 5,279 Views, 138 Comments

The Impossible Choice - FireMaster



Chase Waters is just an average American college student studying engineering. Let’s just say his life’s about to take an unexpected detour from his usual routine.

  • ...
17
 138
 5,279

Chapter 10: That's a lot of damage

Author's Note:

Better late than never. Cranked out a new chapter today! :) Sorry for any grammatical issues.

~ April 14th, 1020 ME ~

'2:10pm'

"Spike, we’re home!"

"Twilight? Thank goodness you're back! The size of this place is overwhelming when you're gone." Spike walked into the entry hall. "Hey I see Mr. Waters is back on his hooves? Good to have you back! Twilight was really worried you wouldn't wake up, but I convinced her you were tough from our little time together."

"Hey thanks Spike! Can't say I've had an experience quite like that before." A brief pause follows. "Say, you guys haven't thought of innovating the mechanics from your trains into other things with wheels have you? I always enjoy my exercise, but I have to admit walking everywhere is going to get old pretty fast, when I know what I'm missing out on."

"Hmm, you know I can't say that any pony I know has ever tried that. Usually we just settle for pulling carts. You certainly are full of ideas." Twilight intoned.

"Seems to me like it would be pretty dangerous." Spike added as the group walked through the foyer and into the maze of hallways branching off into the unknown.

"Spike if you don't mind I'd like to prepare some material for a lesson this afternoon with Blazing, as well as get a rest from the exhaustion of the last few days. Do you think you could give our new friend a tour for me?"

"Sure Twilight. I've been meaning to have a dragon to pony talk with him anyway."

"I'm not sure what that means, but Twilight... I've been meaning to tell you something before you go... I must be honest, I'm touched that you were worried about me in my unconscious state. Wouldn't have been fun waking up with little clue where I was at... Those doctors would have had some trouble on their hands at least...

I guess I just want to...

thank you...

That's all..." Besides Blazing's sentence being a little broken up Twilight replied with a simple "you're welcome" and uncomfortably excused herself due to reading too much into what she thought he was going to say.

"Whelp, I am a total embarrassment to Equestria now."

"Not just yet, but your well on your way." Spike joked. "It's all good. I'm only around 10 years younger than you, and still more socially mature."

"Wow... Thanks for the vote of confidence. So a tour then hmm? What exactly does that entail? This place is massive, and it could take me a couple days to see it all."

"Ahh don't exaggerate too much. Just imagine having to help with half the cleaning around here."

"Tell me again why you don't have peop... Err Ponies work for you."

"Formalities. Twilight hates them. I think she would prefer to live without the title, but unlike the other three princesses who have adapted to hide some of their personal feelings, she is not as good about covering how she feels about the bowing and formal address. If we had a staff, she would probably request vacation every other day to get away from it all."

Blazing whistled. "Wow."

"Alright enough of that! Next stop my favorite place in the castle! The Kitchen!"

"Do you cook too?"

"Yup. I learned fast that tulip sandwiches don't cut it when Twilight gets on one of her study binges." As they continued down a hall and took a left, Spike cleared his throat.

"What?"

"I wanted to get a little ways away before I told you this. I'm sure we will get along fine, but since you're from another world I need to lay out some rules. If you do anything to hurt Twilight or her friends, especially Rarity, I will find you. Also Twilight's brother is the captain of the royal guard, and married to Princess Cadance, and Twilight was the student of Celestia, so basically... no funny business. Got it?"

"Um, was that really necessary? I'm pretty good at statistics, and I'm sure anywhere on this planet my background makes me a couple million to one. Also I kind of saved her life, so lighten up Spike."

"Well I'm glad that's out of the way. Welcome to the house, Blazing. Also for your own benefit, be warned that is far from the last welcome you will receive."

"Huh? What do you mean welcomes?"

"Sorry my lips are sealed."

"Ah man, I hate secrets. This better not be a surprise." Why is this taking so loooong? "Spike I don't mean to be a bad guest, but why does it feel like your lost in your own house."

"We're almost there. Just a little farther."

"With all the turns we made I would think we've made a few circles."

"Ah here we are!"

"What's that smell?"

"Probably left something out in the kitchen." Spike opened the door to the room which was surprisingly dark for the time of day it was. "After you"

"But it's dark, aren't you going to turn the light on?"

"I'll be right behind you!"

Blazing Waters made some uneasy steps into the rather unlit room. His nerves were rising by the second. When Spike came through and closed the door behind him, he felt his hairs stand on end; an odd sensation when you have a body covered in fur.

"Ah, here's the light." he heard Spike say.

"You could have left the do-"

"-Surprise!" As the lights came on, Blazing's ears were ringing slightly, and none other than Pinkie Pie was bounding up to him with a smile that barely fit on her muzzle. This was all fine and nice, except he had accidentally left a hole in the ceiling with a little raw mana from his horn that was starting to fade its golden color.

"Well I guess that means you were surprised!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"w-ha- ple- expl- is- th-iss?" 'What is this' came out like a bunch of barely comprehensible stutters. A red banner read welcome to Ponyville, along with 'Equestria' attached underneath it. Although Twilight looked visibly annoyed by the hole and a few ponies looked a bit startled, scared, or nervous, Pinkie knew how to lighten the mood and yelled "Let's Partee! Oh and of course I know how to lighten the mood!" (Pinkie please don't start that with me).

"I've never been invited to a party before. What am I supposed to do?"

"Well that's easy! Have fun!"


As you could expect from any Pinkie party, there were games, punch, decorations through the roof, and waaay too many sweets! Just looking at all the sugar could probably result in some serious weight gain for a human. But Blazing was not exactly fitting that category right now.

During the party Blazing made a point to ask Twilight if he would maintain his weight if returned to his human self, but she indicated that transformation magic was very complex and breaking the laws of the conservation of mass hadn’t been accomplished yet. It had to go somewhere. 'Frustrating to think this concept actually followed logic, despite his first transformation being without much explanation.' "Guess I can't eat 'whatever' I want then," but he thanked her anyway and began to enjoy getting to know new ponies.

It felt like Pinkie had invited half of Ponyville, making things rather awkward at first, but they started warming up to him after a while. Lyra was especially curious about his background, continually probing him for details on how he hadn't previously been in Equestria, until he finally lucked out and Bon Bon distracted her for him. Thank God for that!

All in all, it was a good time. He really enjoyed what it felt like to just sit back with a drink and talk with really down to earth individuals... even if they were a new crowd. He especially enjoyed getting to talk with Applejack more, who happened to be another one of Twilights friends. Her accent was great! She wore a Stetson and had a southern twang about her that seemed so out of place on a pony, but her forwardness was so easy to get along with. She had nothing to hide. No surprise she ran an apple farm; her name really gave that one away before they even met.

As things began winding down, and ponies began leaving well into the evening, the one thing itching at the back of most ponies minds was Blazing's background. They shared all kinds of things with him, but besides talking about his interests, he hardly said anything about where he came from. By now the main six and Spike were made aware, but as for everyone else, they were all un-informed. It would fall to Blazing whether he wanted to share.

Twilight would push him to open up of course, because no doubt his emotions about his past being bottled up would be dangerous, but she also couldn't help wanting to learn more about Humans. From the little hints here and there, they were a fairly advanced technological society and spoke Equish! How language overlapped across dimensions was a scientific marvel!

Instead of starting magic lessons that night, Blazing seemed relatively exhausted as was she, so Twilight promised that the next morning would mark the beginning of magic training. Hopefully this would prevent further holes from being blown through her house. She forgave Blazing, but also told him that he would be responsible for working off the repairs by studying hard.

They did continue the tour that never really happened previously, and showed him the guest room he'd be staying in. As the night rolled on and Blazing began preparing for bed his mind wandered to his apartment, which made him think about his daily routine, leading to thoughts of loss. He didn't really have anybody before, but now despite everyone considering him a friend, Twilight was one of the only ponies Blazing felt he could trust. 'No more computer. No more school. No more... BACON!' That travesty may seem silly, but those thoughts of what were no more continued, and not being able to eat meat was up there on the list.

He felt so emotional, which felt unnatural. I don't need to think about it. It could always be worse right? The one positive note he thought about before crashing for the night was the comfort of a warm bed. At least I have been blessed with ponies that were welcoming, and generous. Those were attributes that would stick with him.

'Ya, these ponies do care. 'Why?' is still a mystery.'